Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

NBA could veto Kevin Love trade if future contract is in place

Sebastian's picture
August 9, 2014 at 11:30pm
15 Comments
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/080214_lovetaylor.jpg

One thing that could get the NBA to veto this trade is the "firm agreement" between Love and the Cavs on a future deal  league officials are closely monitoring the process and completion of this transaction due to the possibility of an illegal agreement between Love and the Cavs.

Seattle Linga's picture

Nice Post Se-bass - just heard the same on Fox Sports Radio - Love cannot commit to an extension until much later so anything more than a year would throw up a red flag. The NBA wants Minny to be a good team without being the bottom feeders year after year. They are kind of like the Tampa Bay Devil Rays of Major League Baseball in that regard. 

FWIW - I only see them voiding this trade if someone says something stupid

+1 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Since I live in the Tampa Bay, I feel obligated to stand up for my local team. Despite having 1 of the smallest salaries in the league, the Tampa Bay Rays have only missed the playoffs once since 2008 with a WS appearance. Tampa Bay Rays, your honor has been defended.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Don't get me wrong Tampa Buck - your team has been amazing the last few years except this year and all on a limited budget no doubt. I know an exec with the Rays farm club and I still remember him telling me the challenges with drawing fans night in and night out.

Rob Reese's picture

Tampa, despite dreary attendance figures like Cleveland, is the arguably the model franchise; they scout, draft, develop as well or better than anyone.  Good franchise.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+2 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Much like the Marlins... except they make no attempt to keep their good players esp if they win the WS.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Mitch Kupchak's revenge for what happened with Chris Paul.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The "Other LA Team" is still upset b/c they would have one the NBA Championship if that trade would have gone through.

+1 HS

Between that, and not hiring Phil, the last 3 years have been awful.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

bigbadbuck's picture

Good luck to the NBA to try and provide proof that this has happened.......

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

No trade= im okay with

yes trade= im okay with

Knarcisi's picture

They won't. Lebron team going deep into the playoffs = good for NBA. 

The Lakers going deep in the playoffs = great for the NBA. That didn't stop them from vetoing the Paul trade.

OSU069's picture

Has the possibility of this happening actually been reported by anyone or is it just a thought the OP had?

gneptuneproductions's picture

I can never understand how the NBA can veto a trade that two teams have a mutual agreement on. It takes (at least) two teams to pull off a trade.. so why does the NBA intervene if there's an agreement in place? Doesn't make much sense to me. Do other leagues do similiar things? I can't recall the NFL vetoing trades.

KBonay's picture

Because Roger Goodell didn't like the trade....