Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Kevin Love to Cavs for Wiggins, Bennett and 1st round pick

BuckeyeinToledo's picture
August 7, 2014 at 10:00am
106 Comments
Seattle Linga's picture

I am all in if it brings us the Hardware 

+6 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I think the Buckeyes will win the first playoff it they win the first playoff. 

TNBuckeye1421's picture

I hope it brings a championship, but I think this is a little too pricy... why not see what you have with Wiggins, Irving, and James 1st. Granted the next 1st round pick will not be worth that much because Irving, Love, and James will be at the top of the east but couldn't we have waited until the end of the year and picked up Love in free agency? I also hope this was a sign and trade deal where we can get him locked in for a few years and not get Boozer'd again.

Fear The Elf's picture

I agree that I would've played hardball with the TWOLVES in an attempt to not give up Wiggins.

OTOH, we kept the Memphis pick and didn't have to take on Martin's contract. We'll have lots of flexibility next offseason, so I can't hate the move, either.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nothing like bringing in a guy that averages over 19 PPG and 12 RPG to add to your team - completely geeked

+1 HS
1MechEng's picture

Call me disappointed. I really wanted to see Wiggins play for the Cavs.

I understand the need to have a powerful force in the center, but I think Wiggins is the better long term move and helps provide insurance in case LeBron gets hurt.

I just hope the Cavs have enough defense to make this work.

+17 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Completely understand what you're saying however we need to win now and not in 3 to 4 to 5 years. I think Love gives us the best chance at that right now

+3 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

My understanding is that the Cavs HAD to do it this year because next year they wouldn't the salary cap space to make it happen and I'm with you guys. We need to win now!

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

you know what, I thought this was a dumb move long term, but as a Toronto Raptors fan (don't ask) I am happy about this because I bet Wiggins won't last another contract in Minnesota and will want to come home to Canada like Lebron did.

Wiggins to Toronto in 2017, bank it!

I think Love can help Lebron win a championship, but I thought Wiggins would have helped Lebron win 3-4 championships. I don't see Lebron, Love and Irving having a run like that without another change at some point.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

on the one hand, one really is all that is hoped for here.  clevelanders are not hoping for 3-4.  so if love helps to win one, well that would be considered a 10000% success by any measure.

on the other hand, i agree in order to make a run there would probably need to be another change.  and there will be very little flexibility to make that change with Kyrie, Love, and Bron all on max contracts.

lesson, better hope they get that one championship.

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Love is proven and Wiggins is not.... Thats not to say Wiggins wont be a good player, but you know what you have in KL now. Long term you can find another Wiggins role player through F/A, Trades or Draft.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Love is proven and Wiggins is not.

Neither have proven anything in the playoffs.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS

It appears that KL will prove more in the playoffs than Wiggins will for the foreseable future now. So once again I'll take what's known than unknown.

+1 HS

You don't really know what you're going to get from him in the playoffs.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-4 HS

The point was he will be in the playoffs and Wiggins will not.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

People said the same sort of thing about KG in the playoffs before he went to Boston...

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+4 HS

KG made it to the playoffs 8 times in Minnesota. Love hasn't sniffed the playoffs once.

I am not understanding what your point is.... Love did his part in Minnesota, them not making the playoffs is not solely his fault. Basketball is still a team sport. The NBA is full of All-stars w/out playoff experience doesn't mean they wouldn't make your team better in the end if you got them.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

True. However, I guess my point was that many said KG wasn't an elite player b/c he couldn't even get out of the first round. IMO, it's similar to alleging that Love is not that great because he hasn't made the playoffs. The conference is much better than it was during KG's days in Minnesota, and the roster around Love was much worst.

Are you also willing to say that Kyrie hasn't proven very much?

b/c he couldn't even get out of the first round.

He went to the WCF in '04(the season he won the MVP).

Are you also willing to say that Kyrie hasn't proven very much?

Yep.

-1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

BuckeyesVsTheWorld: I agree with most of your arguments, but don't this one. It's basketball. They run up and down the court, jump, pass, shoot, and rebound. They don't have time to "get in their own heads" and choke, etc. Love will be the same high-caliber player in the playoffs as he is in the regular season.

If he were a golfer that won the Greater Hartford Open six times and now he's playing in the U.S. Open, we might not know whether he can hold up under the glare, but he'll be just fine in the playoffs.

+1 HS

hey don't have time to "get in their own heads" and choke, etc. Love will be the same high-caliber player in the playoffs as he is in the regular season.

Lets take James Harden for example. Had a very good regular season. Some were arguing he was the best SG in the league. When it came playoff time, he was terrible. If he had played like he did in the regular season, Houston likely sweeps Portland.

aboynamedtracy's picture

FIND another Wiggins?!?! Good luck...

+1 HS

Good luck with what? He has yet to play a meaningful NBA game and yet you are going to say no one better or just as good will come around. I'll stick with my comment 

+3 HS
elitesmithie's picture

Found him..he wears 23. However we did just add an elite 6'11 player who can score and rebound better than all but like 4 players....

+1 HS
MrBobDobalina's picture

"A byrd in hand - is worth ten flye at large"

A medieval saying that I believe means Kevin Love is a proven commodity now

+2 HS
bethmowins's picture

Cavs are going all in now. I don't mind it, just hope it doesn't blow up in their face.

+2 HS
SavannahBuck's picture

It's Cleveland....Of course it will blow up in their face

+4 HS

So Wiggins and Bennett will lead Minnesota to a NBA championship?

lamplighter's picture

Probably - this is Cleveland, and Cleveland, it seems, is cursed

Signed

A long-suffering Browns fan (is there any other kind?)

I really love the addition of K-Love, but I too really wanted to see Wiggins grow under LeBron's wings. I hope he has a good career in Minnesota, but I can't help but feel he would have been better off in Cleveland. Bring on the rings. #brownstothesuperbowl 

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice hashtag Toledo - Hey how's the water - you OK?

+2 HS

I am alive lol. Luckily I was in NC moving my gf. So I missed all of it. We have a bunch of bottled water laying around my apartment now... Maybe I should find a use for it all. Any suggestions?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

Seattle Linga's picture

Give it to others that don't have any extra

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

save the bottled water.  The algae bloom will be worse in August and September. They just "fixed" the machine for Toledo. I would be highly surprised if something does not occur before then.

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Not only Wiggins, but Bennet too plus the Cav's 2015 1st round draft pick, for a guy who only has a year left on his contract??? 

Yeesh ..... Surprised they didn't throw LeBron in there too.

+4 HS
Earle's picture

I'm sure Love will sign the extension as soon as they are able to offer it to him

--Carlos Boozer

Italics are for emphasis.

+8 HS
BuckGnome's picture

I have no doubt Love will sign an extension assuming the trade goes through.  My point about his current contract though was, to me at least, it didn't give Minnesota much leverage since they were likely to lose him next season anyway.

+3 HS
Lincoln's picture

This is a not a fair comparison. I get it, it was probably for humor, but I have heard this 100 times the last 24 hours.

Boozer left an average Cavs team for MUCH more money than the Cavs were willing to give him and was coming off a smallish second round contract.

Love would have to take a significant pay cut ( and PR nightmare) to leave the LeBron led, championship contending, super team.

mh277907's picture

It is reported that Love is going to sign a long-term deal with the Cavs.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS

Before the draft Embid was the Cavs first choice until he got injred, Bennet was not good and the Cavs have Miami's 1st rd pick which will most likely be higher than the Cav's pick next year. So really they got rid of Wiggin's that was worth something and you can find his replacement next season.

elitesmithie's picture

Not that it matters alot but we traded Miamis pick, not ours. We still have ours plus Memphis pick next year.

+1 HS
Kindell's picture

I am fine with this if it's true that he has agreed to sign a 5 year extension next year.  There is just no way to ever know if Wiggins is going to turn out a superstar.  If they have LBJ, Love, and KI for a 6 year run, there could be multiple championships.   I love Wiggins too, but at some point you have to play for now. 

The rumor is that they are not giving up the Heat or Memphis pick.  That means they could go into next offseason with LBJ, Love, KI, and two top 20 picks.  

chicagobuckeye's picture

6 years from now is a long time for love and Lebron with big contracts to limit who else you bring in. The cavs are playing for the now. If they win a championship I wouldn't be surprised but more than 1 or 2 over that time period would be extremely surprising to me. 

Kindell's picture

They will still have 10.5 Mill Non guaranteed to work with.  People will also take discounts to play with these three.   LBJ is the best athlete in the world, I would be surprised if sees a major decline before 35.  I would also be surprised if they only won 1 with this core.

mh277907's picture

Everyone bitched when the Cavs didn't get anyone to play around LeBron. They now have two players better than ANY ONE player that LeBron ever played with during his first stint with Cleveland.

buckeyebobcat

+8 HS

Couldn't we say that Irving and Love are better than what he had in Miami? Wade's age and health is an issue and KL > Bosh

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

Eh, we may be able to say that in a couple of years. Irving still needs to prove that he can stay healthy and we still haven't seen how he or Love performs in the playoffs. Wade and Bosh were quite formidable when they won their two championships.

buckeyebobcat

The benefit of having James and Love could reduce Irving's need to have to make every play and lessen the likelyhood of injury in theory.

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

Lets get this started, not sure I agree with what the Cavs gave up, but I hope my mind is changed when the season kicks off.

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

Lebron isn't getting any younger. They need to put themselves in a position to win now and not wait for anyone to grow up.

+5 HS
mh277907's picture

Yep. We lost the luxury of planning for the future and developing young talent the moment LeBron said he was coming back. I am pretty sure no one would turn down that trade-off.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
Haubtimus Prime's picture

Rumor is Love is signing a five year extension, so they're trading six years of service of Wiggins, plus Bennett and a pick for six years of service from Love.  Plus, not taking on any dead money in the deal.  Yes, I was holding out hope that Wiggins wouldn't be included in the package, but the long-term extension (assuming it happens) makes it easier to digest.  All in all, I think it's fair to say Cleveland won the offseason. 

+2 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Who cares about an extension. They guy wants to come to Cleveland. You hold out if you are Cleveland. He is a freaking free agent after this year and worst case you sign him next year and get to keep Wiggins.

Also, it will make the Wolves desperate to get something for Love, so you may be able to trade for him during the season for less. And again, keep Wiggins.

+4 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Especially once the Wolve's would have been out of the playoff race, their leverage would evaporate.

+1 HS
Kindell's picture

The Cavaliers wouldn't have had enough money to sign him as a free agent.  They needed to get his bird rights if they wanted to sign him.  Now they can clear the space to sign him by having his rights and adding more years.  

+8 HS
MrBobDobalina's picture

i cant upvote yet, but +1.....the most critical comments seem to be this but they couldnt afford him

+2 HS
TraptnMI's picture

Way to much given up by the Cavs for Love N Kisses. Give the Wolves Bennet, Varejeo and a 1st round pick, not Wiggens! Win now,win now bullshit. They could win it all this year without UCLA's pride and joy. I'm bummed!

" It's real good whatcha done Anthony, real good ! "

-4 HS
luckynutz's picture

You think Minnesota would take that deal? First things first...Varejao ia a banger no doubt. Tough and solid down low as a defender and rebounder. But he isnt a scorer. Hes also one of Lebrons good friends. Doesnt work for either team. Now if they added Thompson, that woukd probably work. But Lebron has already mentioned he likes TTs game and looks forward to playing with him. Plus he has a lot of upside the Cavs dont want to lose.

+1 HS
TraptnMI's picture

I wouldn't make the trade for one proven player cause if he goes down for the season, your fucked. I love me some Tristen, but waiters is a ball hog and forces shots and Varejao is a scrappy spaz that can't score. like you said, Lebron and Varejao are bestest buds so he's a lifer. No patience in Cleveland and I understand it being a Phoenix Suns fan, but trading away two 1st overall picks is  just insane and dosen't secure the teams future. Larry Nance agrees with Anthony! LOL

" It's real good whatcha done Anthony, real good ! "

chicagobuckeye's picture

Full disclosure I'm a bulls fan however I still enjoy the cavs. I was disappointed when I heard this because of the lack of wiggins, ki and Lebron playing together and particularly the former two for a long period of time.

While I understand people want to win now, but my question to Cleveland fans is this. If Cleveland wins one championship over the next 6 years and towards the end of that time for another long period of mediocrity would it be worth it? Does it depend on how wiggins turns out, or is the prospect of a championship too good to turn down?

+1 HS
elitesmithie's picture

Its been 50 years. Yes , 1 will be SOOOOO worth it.

+3 HS
Brutus1972's picture

I really wanted to see Love come to Cleveland but I didn't want them to give up Wiggins to do it. I really wanted to see Wiggins develop under the tutelage of Lebron.

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

The people in Minnesota are pretty happy about this trade.

+3 HS
Earle's picture

They should be.  They got what they wanted.  I think Cleveland panicked. 

+3 HS
mh277907's picture

I don't think they panicked. They could have waited until next year and signed Love and not given up anything. But I am assuming that they figured that the opportunity cost of waiting and not being a contender this year was greater than the cost of giving up what they gave up.

buckeyebobcat

Earle's picture

I don't think waiting for next year was an option because of cap ramifications.  I just think they were bidding against themselves and could've crafted a deal that did not include Wiggins if they had called Minnesota's bluff.

+6 HS

Cleveland lost all leverage when LeBron said he wanted Love. Once that was known that Cavs had nothing to bargin with really.

-1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Its also been stated Kevin Love made it known that he would like to be in Cleveland and sign long term if he was dealt there. Minnesota knew they were losing him either way...so they stuck to their guns when it came to what the price would be. I dont think Cleveland lost any leverage...I just think Minnesota made it clear what they wanted and wouldnt accept less. Better to do it now and get it done than wait and have something happen with Wiggins or have another team throw together a package they liked better.

js2378's picture

I also hate trading Wiggins for Love, but seeing some of Wiggin's shooting numbers from the summer league (wasn't he 1 for 10 from 3 point range?) makes me feel a bit better about this. I also forgot that Love is 25; it's not like the window is only 3 years. Who knows, maybe Lebron can make Dion focus and we still have a young 2 guard who, at one point, was compared to D-Wade. The question is whether we will be able to re-sign Thompson and Dion with Kyrie, Lebron and Love already on max contracts. My guess is no, but who can we trade them for when the time comes??

jamesrbrown322's picture

I'd rather have Wiggins honestly. I think that adding Love still does not make them better than the Thunder or Spurs. It probably gets them out of the East, but for the future, I was hoping they'd keep Wiggins. However, they were clever enough to lure LeBron back, so I won't question the move for now. High risk, high reward.

Consider this - The Cavs essentially just used TWO #1 overall picks and an additional 1st rounder on Love.

I'm assuming that Love will sign an extension as part of the deal. I do like the idea of Irving, LeBron, and Love as The New Big Three, with Waiters and Thompson in the wings, but am just not sure how long term that could be. We'll see, and I hope it is immensely successful for a city that desperately wants a championship and needs some positive news.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

I'm excited right now but also kind of sad. I really wanted to see Wiggins play for the Cavs. He seems like a great guy and he is a really explosive player.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Cavs are putting together a great roster. Kevin and Lebron are the 2 best players at their position in the league. Kyrie is a top 3 PG in the league and will only get better in Blatt's offense and surrounded by all this talent. Dion has serious talent, and with Lebron mentoring him now, I expect him to be an all-star within the next 2 seasons. 

PG-Kyrie, Delly

SG-Dion, Mike Miller, Ray Allen

SF-Lebron, Shawn Marion

PF- Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell

C- Varejao, Haywood (Love and Thompson will get mins here too)

Don't see anybody stopping this lineup. Great mix of youth and veteran leadership.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS

Kyrie is a top 3 PG in the league

Paul
Parker
Westbrook
Rose(when healthy)

Not top 3 yet.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

I would say that right now he is sixth behind Westbrook, Paul, Parker, Curry, and Rose. But he easily has top 3 talent. I think he is more talented than any PG in the league other than Westbrook. 

-1 HS
Gametime's picture

Kyrie has the talent, but I don't know if he's better than Mike Conley Jr. ,Damian Lillard, or John Wall either. He's definitely in the midst of the conversation tough, especially coming off an ASG MVP.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

-1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

I'll give you Paul.

Parker is 75 years old.  Westbrook is great, but a head case.  Rose was last healthy in the late 80's.

Look at some of the names Kyrie has been playing with.  This year is going to show him fully weaponized.  Top 3 for certain.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Westbrook is not a head case. He is just a very emotional player on the court. He is what Kyrie needs to become, a guy who brings it every night on both offense and defense. Westbrook even averages 6 rebounds per game. 

Kindell's picture

They have to address the Center position though.  AV cannot be relied on to play every game, and they could really use a rim protector.  I hope they can use those expiring contracts that they didn't include in the Love deal for a rim protector.

elitesmithie's picture

We have some expiring contracts from the Felix trade we can flip for a backup center

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

When did Ray Allen and Shawn Marion join the team?

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Although I am somewhat bummed, this has been an incredible turn around. Our roster blows away anything the Heat were able to piece together.

+1 HS
MrWiley7's picture

This is probably an understatement but the value of playing with LeBron will help every single player on that roster immensely. Waiters and Irving need to get some tape on how D Wade played off of LeBron and study it until they have it memorized!! What helps them is that they are better long range shooters than D Wade so they will get a lot of open looks. Love will be super efficient with his scoring now and he will eat up the boards on both ends. Andy will play to his strengths and Miller will bomb out from the 3 while playing solid D and hustling. The main thing in play here is the coach. He needs to construct a system that will utilize everybody's skills while letting LeBron be the focal point. Once they get the kinks worked out, that team is going to be really good. Which is probably another understatement!

+1 HS
d1145fresh's picture

What is really interesting is how Cleveland can actually continue to build the next two years. They of course have their own picks but also Miami's and Memphis' picks (partially restricted). I know they are giving up one of their picks with the Love deal but they could still have 2 first round picks next year to add some players to the roster.

Via http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-draft-picks-owed/

Cleveland Cavaliers: Receives Miami’s 2015 first-round pick (top-10 protected through 2017) via the Lebron James trade on 7/9/10. Receives Memphis’ 2015 first-round pick (top-5 protected, 15-30 protected in 2015-16, top-5 protected in 2017-18, unprotected in 2019) via the Jon Leuer trade on 1/22/13.

Rob Reese's picture

Aww shit, Cavs going all in now.  

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

villagebuckeye's picture

I think to really understand why this is such a great trade for the Cavs you have to look at the pieces already in place.  Kyrie and LeBron are best with the ball in there hands.  They both want to penetrate and dish or finish.  They need shooters to pass to. Wiggins is not a great shooter.  He is a freak athlete that can finish at the rim and plays great defense. 

Love is a great shooter, has a post up game, rebounds well and throws a great outlet pass.  He also sets a solid pick for pick and rolls or pick and pops. Not a great defender but I am sure LeBron will help him with that aspect of his game. 

Love is a perfect fit.  They are getting a 25 year old player who is not only an all star but an Olympian for an unproven rookie who may or may not turn out to be a great player

+3 HS
William's picture

This. I don't understand how any Cavs fans could not like this trade. Yes, Wiggins has potential, but Kevin Love is the best PF in the game. The guy averaged 26 and 12, was a positive defensive presence (people who say he's awful on defense don't know shit about basketball, he gave up .72 points per possession last season, which was 43rd in the entire league, hardly bad), and was one of the most efficient players in the NBA last year. He's a Moses Malone clone with a better jumper. He provides the Cavs with an elite stretch 4 that will clear the paint, providing Irving, Waiters and LeBron with lanes for driving the net. The Cavs are going to be an offensive juggernaut if these reports are legitimate. Who do you guard? Irving, Love or LeBron? Because there isn't a single team in the NBA that can guard all three of those guys at the same time, not without opening up lanes/opportunities for guys like Waiters, Miller, Varejao or Thompson. 

+3 HS
William's picture

Also, a good statistical analysis of the Cavs adding LeBron and Love, and the impact it should have. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what-cleveland-would-look-like-with-lebron-james-and-kevin-love/

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

The Cavs paid a steep price, but if they have a semi-guarantee that Love will sign a longer-term agreement, it's probably a good deal for them.

Keep in mind that a lot of NBA lottery picks don't become high-caliber players. This analysis from 2013 shows that picks 1 -3 (like Wiggins) become All-Stars only about half the time and then the numbers drop steeply thereafter. 

Kevin Love is a proven high-caliber commodity.

goodlifesean's picture

I want waiters traded. A shooting guard who can't shoot and can't guard. I would much rather see someone at sg who can pass and play d. Waiters has not shown anything in his time. Trade him and get someone who doesn't need the ball and isn't closing in on retirement like Miller, Allen, or Marion.

-3 HS
William's picture

Waiters is a perfectly good SG. He has a higher FG% than Bradley Beal, although his 3PT FG% is a little lower. 

Beal-Waiters comparison: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtRfl7hCcAABsVt.png:large

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Waiters has shown a lot of promise so far in his career. I don't know what you are talking about. 

+2 HS
goodlifesean's picture

Honestly, just irrational popping off at the mouth. Tried to be funny and failed. All in all I'm just really concerned with this potential starting lineup's defensive ability. You can win the East with so-so D, you aren't going to win the title that way. Love I'm not worried, Dion and Kyrie's,defense scare the crap out of me.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

This is a no-brainer. Wiggins was a very good freshman last year, but a 25-12 guy in the NBA is on another level.

Citrus's picture

I am happy because this creates an amazing "Big 3." In the abstract the trade is worth it. However, I am a little miffed because it seems like Minnesota got quite a bit for having so little leverage. A week ago, reports were that Love said he'd only extend in Cleveland. In that scenario, other teams aren't clamoring to trade away pieces for a rental. Not only do the Cavs give up Wiggins but last year's number 1 too? Plus a pick? For a guy that was going to walk from the 'Wolves?

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

There's this theory floating around here that Chicago is the best team in the East and simply put I just don't see it. Even before this trade, Cleveland inserted itself into the conversation of best team in the conference. This helps them, clearly. As much as Wiggins might be something Love IS something. If Rose can come back %100 there is no reason to think Cleveland and Chicago won't be meeting in the ECF but I refuse to think the Bulls can stop LeBron enough to win 4 out of 7 times, no matter how much of a maestro Thibs is.

Should be a good season for the Cavs.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

William's picture

Even with a healthy Rose and the magician that Thibodeaux is, I don't see anyone in the East contending with the Cavs, it shouldn't even be close. The Cavs will trot out Irving-Waiters-LeBron-Love-Varejao as their starting five, with Miller, Thompson, Dellevadova, Jones and possibly Marion/Allen as their bench. That is a team with scoring power, depth and balance. Could defense be an issue? Maybe, but Blatt has proven throughout his career that he knows how to shape his defensive system around the players that he has. 

I also woudn't be surprised to see the Cavs trade Haywood and his megacontract for a center next year. Hopefully New Orleans tanks and a guy like Asik becomes available. 

OSUBias's picture

This team should be an offensive juggernaut, once they learn to play together. Lebron, Kyrie, and Love all handle the ball higher than the average at their positions, so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes them to mesh. 

Defense is the issue here. Miami got rolled because they couldn't stop penetration. Love is not a great defender, and neither is Irving. Waiters...no. So they will have to make large strides to have championship aspirations. 

Shitter's full

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

But they will also be a better offensive team than Miami. I think this is a championship-caliber team. Can they beat the Spurs or Thunder? I don't know. But I'm pretty confident in saying that the Cavs will make it out of the East. 

Woodshed's picture

Good discussion in this thread for the most part. 

My thinking all along was that the cavs should wait until the trade deadline to see what happens with their current roster, what happens with other trade offers, and most importantly to theoretically remove ALL of minnesota's leverage.

since then though, I have read a lot and watched a lot of video on love. The dude is young, fundamental, great at almost everything on the floor, and at WORST a top 3 player at his position in the whole NBA. his game will also age very well IMO like lebron's.

the absolute best argument that I heard when it came to choosing Love (rather than wiggins) was this:

if the Cavs had Kevin love on their roster, would they trade him for Wiggins? The answer of course is no way.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Quick translation. Cavs are saying they won't wait to develop the talent, that they are a contender now. 

elitesmithie's picture

Side note; The Cavs still have 2 1st round picks next year. Their own and the Memphis pick. So we can still add some decent young players into the fold. Or use them and Haywoods expiring for a center.

+2 HS
Lincoln's picture

We do remember that Kevin Love was statistically the 3rd best player in the NBA last year right?  (not saying he is, but numbers say he is, I do believe he is easily in top 6 or 7)

We do remember that Andrew Wiggins scored 2 points against Stanford his last game right? ( not saying he is not going to be good, but I'm far from convinced he is a star)

We do remember that last year at this time, everyone thought Kyrie was gone, we were trying to convince ourselves that Anthony Bennett would be good, and that Mike Brown learned to coach. Now the Cavs have the 2 top 10 players, a 22 year old all star MVP locked up long term (hypothetically). Also a great supporting cast that included Delly!!! /Australian Swoon. This is not short term rebuild, this sets us up for being TITLE favorites (3-1 in Vegas right now) for 5 years. Enjoy it, worry about AW later, it will pass in a blink of an eye like the 90's indians, Lebrons first run, Jim Tressels Buckeyes, and everything else.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

I mean, Andrew Wiggins also averaged 17 PPG as a freshman in the big 12 on a good team. He was no doubt a very good player last year. But, I see your point. It was the right move as much as I would have loved to have Wiggins. 

Lincoln's picture

Wait... WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

I'm in shock right now.