Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

For the Crew fans out there --- Transfer deadline is 12AM tonight (or maybe 5pm)

jeremytwoface's picture
August 6, 2014 at 3:00pm
17 Comments

Not sure if any of you have been following everything today....

The Crew have a decent amount of cap space and so they have been expected to make some moves in the transfer window. Only problem is that they haven't done anything at all yet. They also have the first allocation spot which means they would have first dibs on any USMNT players coming to MLS from abroad.

So far, the heavy rumors are that they are looking at a 32 year old, relatively unknown Greek striker and that they have been in talks with USMNT player Mix Diskerud.

The Greek player is currently not in a contract so they actually have a little longer to sign him. A deal with Mix would have to be done before midnight tonight.

I would be pretty pumped if they signed both of them, not so pumped if they signed only the Greek striker, and pretty ok if they signed only Mix.

The clock is ticking.............

EDIT--- I updated the title after seeing this tweet...

DJ Byrnes's picture

crew need strikers. not sure if a 32 y/o greek is the answer, but we could call him "The Greek" so there's that.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah I'm not sure either... which is why I would be disappointed if that's all they signed. I think Mix and Papadaoladfpsdadfasdflus together would be a good grab. I would prefer Jozy and Mix, but I don't see it happening....

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

KeithMC33's picture

To be honest i haven't followed them nearly as much as in the past b/c i don't have TWC. Hopefully they pick up someone to play up front who can consistently contribute. I keep waiting for Arrieta to get on a roll, but it just doesn't seem like that is going to happen. If they are going to make a run into the playoffs and not be a minor speed bump, they have to get some consistency up front.  

If they picked up Mix, i am guessing he would be paired next to Trapp as the 2 in the 4-2-3-1 that they have been using all season? That could really solidify as CDM position, unless of course one of them played CAM.

Hopefully the Crew does something though!

jeremytwoface's picture

Arrieta has been a little banged up this year so he hasn't been able to contribute much.

I'm not sure where they would put Mix because Higuain is already kind of in that false 9 role...

MacG91's picture

I saw on twitter that Mix and the Crew had a handshake deal until Mix's dad asked for more money. 

Mac..yeah

jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah that's what it says in the story that I linked... that they basically had a deal in place and then his dad had to be a jerk face.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

A total jerk face..

Mac..yeah

KeithMC33's picture

Well i haven't seen any new updates, so i take it we didn't pick anyone up? Obviously pickins' are slim compared to the other leagues, but i was hoping we would be able to add some additional pieces to the current roster. 

jeremytwoface's picture

It's possible that they made a deal but haven't announced it yet.... But I'm not gettingy hopes up

BassDropper's picture

Anyone know if the Crew play on tv (DirecTv)? I know they had a contract dispute with Time Warner, but I have searched on my guide and can never find any games. 

I used to follow them a little from 2007-2011, but it was hard to follow them as closely as I would have liked, plus I wasn't as big of a soccer fan as I am now.

DIRECTIONER

jeremytwoface's picture

Their games are exclusively on Time Warner. The club made a deal with them before the season started.

The only other way you would watch them is if you have MLS Direct Kick, but the games on there are blocked out if you live within a certain distance of the stadium..... I believe it's like 100 miles or so.

So if you live within that radius and don't have Time Warner, you're just screwed. People weren't happy about it.

jeremytwoface's picture

Apparently, Mix posted this on an US Soccer message board earlier today (Sorry for the length).........

Last week I got to talk to both Gregg Berhalter and Anthony Precourt.
I like them both. I think they like me. I do not think Columbus could ask for a more dedicated coach, or have a coach with more dedication in creating a playing style that will be recognizable and with a unique stamp of "Columbus Crew". I believe that Anthony Precourt patiently will see to that – because he is that type of guy, I think.

Grant Wahl has made some erroneous statements – making some people look very bad. He says his source is rumors. And that is of course one way to cover a lie, or to press people to give you information you are not entitled to by asking them for clarification – which a journalist of course in turn may use only parts and portions of. In my book – I would give Grant Wahl a straight red card – and with three weeks total suspension.
I have had a lawyer representing me and having had him as the one who has kept communication between Gregg, MLS, Rosenborg, and all others I have had obligations to in this matter. He has assured me that he has not at all done any of what Grant Wahl accuses my father of. My father has not been negotiating between Rosenborg and Columbus/MLS.

The lawyer has, of course, gone through what I am writing here, in this perticular post.
I am a Mix between US american and Norwegian. I was supposed to be raised equally in the two con tries. Plan was grade school in Norway and high school and college in the US. Because I developed so well at my football clubs in Norway, I pushed High school to college, and when my Stabæk coach begged me to go pro instead of enrolling in a US college – I made a coin flip where my parents were present. It landed on tails – and I signed for Stabæk.
Therefore, I have an urge to, at one point, to live, breathe and evolve as an american person in the united states. Some people say in social media that I would never go to Ohio. I ask them, why not? Isn't Ohio the most perfect example what the US really is all about. When the democratic part of the USA votes, isn't Ohio what exemplifies best what US values is? Why wouldn't Columbus have given me a faster and better understanding of what the USA past, present, right to left, is all about.

What I can tell everybody – is that the best day in my life I had in Ohio. The fans when we finally qualified for the World Cup were the best fans I have ever played for. I guess a lot of them were from Ohio. They lifted us immensely. You have no idea what that means and meant. The supporters of Columbus Crew might not be the biggest by shire numbers – but please go check what they write, and how they critique. Are they not the most cunning of all the MLS supporters - as we speak?

I do not know if I end up in Rosenborg, American football  [;)]  , Europe, or in a really exotic place during the next 5-7 years. 
But I do know that I am lucky and happy either way.
What i am most committed to right now is long term to be a part of Ussoccer in the years ahead and short term try to make Rosenborg advance tonight.

Miklagard

KeithMC33's picture

Jeremy,

My buddy recently moved out to California and he has started casually watching the Galaxy games out there. He is saying that local media is suggesting that the person the Galaxy are announcing today is not Kljestan, but a much bigger name. Have you heard anything about that?

Of course people are already speculating that Beckham is coming out of retirement, but i am not sure if that's possible now that he is part owner of the new expansion team? 

jeremytwoface's picture

I've heard that too... People are saying maybe Jermain Jones... The only thing that doesn't make sense with that is that the Crew had the top allocation spot which would mean they should have first dibs on any USMNT player coming to MLS. Plus, LA already has all 3 of their designated player spots filled.

I did see this tweet earlier....

So I'm not really sure... Maybe they are moving Omar Gonzalez?

I highly doubt that it's Beckham since he's involved in the Orlando team.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

And now this from Taylor Twellman....

Crazy to think that Landon is retiring. I'm sure he'll start a career in broadcasting. 

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Oh wow!! Well that's certainly some big news if true! 

KeithMC33's picture

Thank you for the additional info!! I was pretty sure that LA already had their full allotment of designated players, but i figured i would ask the pro!

That would be very interesting if they did move Omar. i guess we will find out at some point today!