Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Spurs hire first female assistant coach

Gobucks2204's picture
August 6, 2014 at 12:00am
18 Comments
Gobucks2204's picture

We will have to see if she could ever be a head coach in the NBA. She has already accomplished a lot already.  She would make an awesome girlfriend, having all that basketball knowledge.

+3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

For the bad rap that pro basketball payers get, the NBA has to be the classiest professional sports league out there. I have been listening to coverage on this all day and there has been ZERO drama over this. I'm really so happy that something like this can happen for once and people can just accept it and be cool about it. I hope she does great.

Our Honor Defend!

+9 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed Woody and if she was the best person for the job than she deserves the opportunity.

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Yup, it's really interesting watching the NFL shit itself on the insanely light Ray Rice suspension and alienate all of its female fans, while the NBA has a woman as the head of its players union and now a woman in a coaching role.

And just from a league image/PR standpoint, the NBA is standing alone at the top. The NFL's suspensions are arbitrary and ridiculous, and they cover up player safety issues. The MLB's can't ditch its image of being boring, and the NHL is run by Gary Bettman. The NBA has done an incredible job the past few years.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

It makes sense for it be drama free in bball, especially since she actually played the game. It would be a lot different and a WTF moment if it were football or baseball since women don't play those sports at a high level.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

That's the first full time, paid female assistant, not the first female assistant. There have been others. I'm pretty sure Cleveland had one probably 10 years ago. I've heard of them in college too.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Pretty sure there was a female head coach in the D-League a few years back, too.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Tater_Schroeder's picture

In complete agreement with BadOwl. The NFL turned its back on domestic violence and the collective football world lost its mind over Michael Sam, all the while an NBA team has hired a female coach and Jason Collins was treated as a basketball player first, and without drama at that.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Jason Collins was treated as a basketball player first

If that were the case, no team would have picked him up. He's an awful basketball player.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that the fact he was picked up didn't result in a tireless debate within the basketball ranks if the NBA was "ready" for something like this.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
CC's picture

He's like 40 so I think he's ready...

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I think that mainly had to do with him coming out the during the previous season.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

TheBadOwl's picture

Jason Collins was in the league for years, and was treated with open arms and immense respect.

Michael Sam might end up playing zero years in the league, he was a 7th round pick, and the NFL talking heads are freaking out about it and the "distraction" that it might bring. Granted that a lot of that was due to ESPN. It's just interesting to see how differently the two were treated.

+1 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

Awesome opportunity and I honestly think she'll do a good job. On the other hand, I remember when she obtained Russian citizenship to play for them in the Olympics.  She didn't make our squad.  Rubbed me the wrong way I guess.

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

cplunk's picture

Eh, it isn't exactly right to say she didn't make the team. She was second in MVP voting the year before and yet the coach of the USA team didn't even invite her to camp to tryout. Hammon felt she was being left out due to drama reasons and was at an age where she wasn't going to get another chance to go to the Olympics. So she took things into her own hands. Not the same as going to another team because you couldn't cut it.

She also already had Russian citizenship- didn't obtain that just to play for their Olympic team. She'd been playing in Russia every off season for years and had qualified for Russian citizenship already.

I get your point- I'm not sure how I feel about an American playing for another country's team- but I do think the specifics of her situation make a difference.

+4 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

Valid points.  I don't claim to know much about it, I was just spouting off what I thought I remembered.  I didn't think she had been a Russian citizen for long though.  I thought she played there for a while before becoming a citizen which was relatively close to the olympics.  My brother-in-law plays pro ball in Europe and I know there are only a certain amount of Americans allowed on a given team which is one reason that players obtain citizenship.  They don't count against those numbers.  Either way, playing on another country's olympic team was my only gripe.  Thanks for the insight.   Discussing this probably proves I'm having a slow day haha.  Football here yet?

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

I hear ya. I can't believe the number of topics I find "interesting" right now that I won't give two f***s about once we kick off against Navy. The off season is wayyyy to long.

+1 HS
Travis's picture

Spurs always doing things right...

They need a 2 to tie, a 3 to win it; Sylvester for threeeee... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHH WITH FIVE POINT ONE TO GO!!!