Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Dalton Signs Huge Extension with Bengals...

OldColumbusTown's picture
August 4, 2014 at 12:00pm
34 Comments

Andy Dalton has signed a 6-year extension with the Bengals for $115 MILLION.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11306771/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengal...

I am one who appreciates what Dalton has done so far in his NFL career, coming in and QB-ing a team to three straight playoff appearances.  I also recognize he's been the main culprit in the Bengals' playoff demise each of those three games.

I think the Bengals have made a big mistake here.  Your thoughts?

ponder10's picture

I'm not sure whether it's Andy Dalton or Marvin Lewis but this team cant make it out of the first round of the playoffs. I'm not sure anyone deserves $115m on the squad.

I say bad move.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Look at what the 49ers gave Kapernick.  That's the going rate for decent QBs now.  Dalton is decent.  

Read my entire screen name....

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I would put Kapernick above Dalton.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS

Really?  I wouldn't.  Dalton is so far beyond Kapernick in his passing ability.  Kapernick is more athletic, but any and every time the 49ers play a team that plays a spy and limits Kapernick's scrambling ability, the 49ers fail to generate offense and they lose.  

Either way, and what my point is, is that both QBs are not top tier QBs.  They are both decent to good QBs.  Decent to good QBs in the league cost 15-20 million a year on new contracts.

I'm going with results. Kaepernick has been to two NFC championship games, and a Super Bowl. All this while going into his 2nd season as a starter.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl and he was nothing better than a decent QB. Not saying Kap is as bad as Dilfer but he's supported by a great defense and great running game. 

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

JasonR's picture

I agree that it was a mistake - I think he is inconsistent, makes bad decisions, holds the ball too long at times and has a weak arm. But I am a lot more confident now that Hue Jackson is OC. I believe Hue can craft an offense that works with him at QB - more emphasis on the run and letting the playmakers make plays. Will take some pressure off of Andy so hopefully that will help him to improve.

Overall, sure, I would have liked to move on, but it's not the worst thing that could have happened. FWIW the deal is supposedly heavy on incentives and cap-friendly. So extending AJ and Tez can still be a priority.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

People are quick to criticize Dalton because of his three playoff games. Look at his regular season numbers, only Peyton and Marino have better. Also if not Dalton, who are you going to make your QB? Brady's, Luck's and Manning's only come around once or twice a decade. 

People also tend to forget that he has only been in the league for 3 years and he took a team that went 4-12 to the playoffs the next three years. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS

If you suck in the playoffs, your regular season numbers start to become irrelevant.

+3 HS
MacG91's picture

Sure he hasn't had success in the playoffs, but how long did it take Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford, Newton, Ryan, Eli to be in the NFL before they had any type of success in the playoffs? The guy has only been the the NFL for THREE seasons. THREE.

Mac..yeah

The guy has only been the the NFL for THREE seasons. THREE.

Which makes this contract even more puzzling.

+4 HS
MacG91's picture

Yeah, I hoped for him to get a contract done before the season but I did not expect one to be this large, but the details of the contract haven't been released yet. 

Mac..yeah

OSUStu's picture

You have to wonder how much of this contract is guaranteed money.  Did they go the Colin Kaepernick route...pay him if he performs, cut him if he doesn't?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

That's exactly what I think they did.  And exactly why I drew Kapernick comparisons....

ponder10's picture

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

Earle's picture

As a Browns fan, my response to this is:

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
gm3jones's picture

had he had ONE good game, I dont think it would be discussed as much. but having 6 or 7 ints and one TD is just plain awful.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

brandonbauer87's picture

I'm not a Bengals fan, and I don't think he's a bad QB. I wouldn't have paid that much, though. 

+3 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

My biggest gripe with Dalton is his inconsistency (or consistency - depends on how you look at it) against pressure.  He's consistently bad against pressure, or even the threat of pressure.  Normally, you face good defensive teams in the playoffs who like to pressure the QB, or who can consistently get pressure through their defensive front or through exotic blitz packages.  Dalton struggles mightily in recognizing blitzes, and then making good, quick decisions in the face of pressure.

This is not a knock only on Dalton - most QB's in the league struggle with this concept.  However, if you're making $19 million per season and have been given the keys to the Ferrari that this offense is, with some major weapons, then I'd say you had better be able to figure out how to attack a blitz.

No, this is not the worst thing in the world.  But, the goal in the NFL is not to make the playoffs.  It is not even to win one game in the playoffs.  The goal is a Super Bowl win, and I'm not sure Dalton has the capacity or ability to lead a team to the promised land.  Luckily, he does have a talented defense and some real offensive weapons on his side, so it is not impossible to achieve.  However, if you're making this kind of money you should be part of the solution as to why a team wins/makes a Super Bowl appearance, rather than it happening in spite of him.

tennbuckeye19's picture

They overpaid. And you know what they say, "Never overpay a ginger. Never."

+3 HS
MacG91's picture

Pretty sure Thomas Paine said that. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture
I can't believe they paid him that much even with that mini-arm.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
gm3jones's picture

MY germs!

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

+1 HS
Nappy's picture

I'm not sure he's worth that contract but there may only be 20 guys in the world who can play QB in the NFL at a high level.  I'd put Dalton on that list.  And like others have said, who do you replace him with?  An unproven rookie?

Fan of bacon since 1981

+3 HS
ponder10's picture

I'm guessing they looked at Jay Cutler's $100M contract and felt as though they were backed into a corner.

FROMTHE18's picture

don't get how people hate Dalton, he's helped make the Bengals a playoff franchise. Sure, Carson did similar, but the dude keeps Cincy from being the Bengals of the mid-90's to most of the 2000's. 

+2 HS
ponder10's picture

The question wasnt whether or not we like Andy Dalton as a QB or to lead the Bengals... the question was whether or not he's worth $115M.

For a player that hasnt proven he can win a playoff game I would argue no.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Honestly though, good for him. When it comes to athletes and value or worth, let's not act like any of these guys are actually worth what they're being paid. But if a team is willing to pay you a huge contract, good for you. Take the money. And in the next couple years he can show everyone if he's an elite level QB or not.. 

As a Browns fan, I would gladly take having a stable starting QB from year to year, let alone a guy who is 30-18 as a starter and capable of leading the team to the postseason. 

Rocket Man's picture

In other news, Reds sign Homer Bailey to 6-year, $105 million contract.

Smacks head. "D'oh!!!!"

Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely.

hodge's picture

The Bengals don't have anyone near Dalton's quality as a QB; the Redlegs have two guys better than Bailey, one that's a little worse, and two young guys with serious potential -- Jocketty overpaid more than Brown in my opinion.

+1 HS
buckguy10's picture

According to ProFootball Talk, the actual contract numbers are more like this:

Two years, $25 million.
Three years, $35.7 million
Four years, $49 million.
Five years, $62.9 million.
Six years, $79.1 million.
Seven years, $96.8 million.

With only the first 2 years guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/dalton-gets-17-million-now-22-million-through-early-march/

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

If he is on the team in 2020, then that is a great thing for the team: meaning he actually has gotten at least a few playoff victories.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Mortc15's picture

This HAS to be a Kaep type deal. Which gives him 2 more years to prove he's worth it or they look somewhere else. 

Buck-I4Life