Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Fantasy Football 2014

512buckeye's picture
July 29, 2014 at 7:52pm
16 Comments

Let's discuss the upcoming season. Who are your sleeper picks? I'm in my first auction draft this year, any advice?

BuckeyeInOrlando's picture

El Guapo may not be much of a sleeper. WIth injuries to other SF running backs, Carlos appears already locked into the #2 slot.

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

Is it a keeper league? Because that changes the whole strategy of an auction. If its not...you can be more liberal with the spending. But if its a keeper league, you need to make sure you find some value picks later in the draft. And try to finagle some guys out later after the big moneys been spent.

KB3RG's picture

Keeper leagues are always tough...

Sleeper pick would be 2 different TE options late: KC Travis Kelce or Detroit Eric Ebron

rosenbuck's picture

Umm...11W league(s) anyone?

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Definitely.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

sox33osu's picture

QB: Jay Cutler - He's getting taken well outside of QB1 range but has the best WR tandem in the NFL along with a much improved OL. He's an excellent candidate for a Phillip Rivers-like resurgence. 

PROJECTED SLEEPER STATS: 4325 yards, 37 TDs, 10 INT

RB: Carlos Hyde - I say this from an honestly non-homer place. Gore is 31 and wearing down considerably. There's nobody else on that depth chart ahead of Hyde and he is the ideal fit for that offense. If Gore goes down, there's a good chance El Guapo gets the starting spot and doesn't look back.

PROJECTED SLEEPER STATS: 950 yards, 10 TDs; 15 catches, 120 yards, 1 TD

WR: Reuben Randle - This is going to be a really pass-happy offense. Hakeem Nicks is outta town and Victor Cruz, while also an excellent choice, will get the coverage. Randle has great size and could very well end up with double-digit TDs, and he is getting drafted around the 8th-10th rd.

PROJECTED SLEEPER STATS: 85 rec, 1095 yards, 10 TD

TE: Zach Ertz - with Desean Jackson gone and not a ton of WR talent (I don't buy Riley Cooper as a legitimate stud and Maclin is decent but not a legit #1), Ertz could be an excellent candidate for some serious PT. I like his chances of potentially catching on as a late round flier.

PROJECTED SLEEPER STATS: 76 rec, 940 yards, 8 TD

luckynutz's picture

I can see Ertz having a decent year. I can also see Ladarius Green having a breakthrougb year as well for San Diego. Antonio Gates isnt getting any younger, and Green had several nice showings last year with him there. If the foot injuries come back for Gates, and with Rivers affinity for finding his TE, Green could be set up for a nice year.

jeremytwoface's picture

I'm not sure Jordan Cameron is much of a sleeper, but I would take him over everyone not named Jimmy Graham. I think whoever is playing QB in Cleveland will be using the TE a ton with Josh Gordon out.

And an even BIGGER reason is that Kyle Shanahan loves him some tight ends. (See Owen Daniels, Fred Davis)

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I am gunning for Jimmy Graham as my first pick.

Read my entire screen name....

512buckeye's picture

It isn't a keeper league, but I do have to start two quarterbacks. Player value is what I'm really having trouble with. 

Let's party, Columbus.

luckynutz's picture

In my league last year, I had my WR depth and RB depth filled before I took a qb. And I got Andrew Luck. And whats funny is his running saved my bacon numerous times. Thata a very underrated part of his game. He may not be Cam Newton...but he is very adept at pulling it down when the pocket collapses. And getting some goal line scores as well.

And he may not be what you call a sleeper, but a guy like Matt Ryan usually falls a little later in drafts Ive been part of. Because so much of his value is tied to the health of his receivers, and he has been getting his ass handed to him behind a shitty line the past couple years.

On a side note, Ive never understood leagues with 2 qbs. Especially with bye weeks, you might have to carry 4 at one time. I much prefer an extra flex spot...because depth at skill positions is much better than at QB.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

It depends on how the stats are scored, (Passing TDs = 4pts?).  QBs generally will score the most points and in a two QB league, you will want to get the best ones.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Furious George 27's picture

Josh Gordon

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS