Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

MLB all-star game, anyone watching?

johnblairgobucks's picture
July 15, 2014 at 6:14pm
70 Comments

As a youngster in the early 80's and as a teenager in the late 80's/early 90's, I used to love watching the MLB All-Star Game.  It was really awesome to see one or 2 Indians players wear the same uniform and play with players from other American League teams.  I fondly remember watching the game that then-President Reagan called Bo Jackson's home run.  MLB used to only have one game of the week on the free TV, then local reds or Indians games  (Indians on channel 43), and ESPN had Sunday Night baseball in it's infancy, so you really didn't get to see all the stars from around the sport, unless you tuned into the All-Star game.  Box scores, numbers and imagination from reading newspaper recaps were the only way to compare Stars from around MLB, until the All-Star game was played, and then the guys were all together, playing the game.

However, with multiple years of inter league play, more frequent off season player/roster changes,  steroid era players being dishonest, escalating salaries (A-Rod earning $360,000+/ at bat), cable tv stations flooding the airwaves showing all 162 games of the Tiger, Indians and Reds in my Area, and the high cost of tickets and refreshments to go watch a game in person....... I have become a non-fan, and don't really follow the sport at all anymore..... Anyone else lost interest in MLB? Or is the All-Star game still a worthy event to view?

buckguyfan1's picture

I watched enough soccer.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

However, with multiple years of inter league play, more frequent off season player/roster changes,  steroid era players being dishonest, escalating salaries (A-Rod earning $360,000+/ at bat), cable tv stations flooding the airwaves showing all 162 games of the Tiger, Indians and Reds in my Area, and the high cost of tickets and refreshments to go watch a game in person....... I have become a non-fan, and don't really follow the sport at all anymore..... Anyone else lost interest in MLB? 

I still go to a few games a year at The Jake (note; not "The Prog"), but more or less to support the Tribe.  I almost never watch the playoffs and couldn't tell you who won last year's World Series (or give 2 cents).  I really do try each year to care.....

MLB seems to have been reduced to a local interest, as evidenced by dwindling national TV ratings each year.  I.e.; "If it's not my team, I've no interest".  As many people watch a random World Series game as the season finale of The Bachelor.  That's just bad.

Like you, I cared about the All-Star game as a kid. But will I watch tonight?  Not a chance.

+2 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Loved the Reds while they have sucked (which they have for most of my lifetime) and I'm definitely not losing interest in the MLB when they finally have become a perennial contender.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not a big believer in Bud Selig but the one thing that he did do that i am glad of:   He had a second wild card spot for some deserving team after 160 plus games. Hopefully the new commish in a couple years won't let Bud pull the puppet strings. 

+1 HS
Son of Sevenless's picture

Yes but then after 160+ games the wild card teams play a one game playoff series. How does that make sense? Baseball is like a star in a slow death spiral.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Of course I would like to see it at a minimum of a three game series but maybe the new commish will alter that a bit.

+3 HS
512buckeye's picture

Of course! I gotta see if the Reds will have home field advantage for the World Series. 

Let's party, Columbus.

+4 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Have to watch. Part of my Religion that will never die. Not saying I wont channel surf though. Love to see any Yankee get struck out. Hopefully we can see a bench clearing brawl j/k. Would like to see some high and tight pitches. Hopefully I can see a couple of Reds actually show out tonight.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

MN Buckeye's picture

Well, lots of people here in the Twin Cities are excited, but I doubt I will watch more than an inning or two.

+1 HS
DudeNick4's picture

Since the strike and the steroid era it's hard to care a whole lot. The tribe blew their wad in the mid-late 90s and I've become more of a fair weather fan since then. I get the ESPN updates sent via text in an attempt to stay current with the team, but I might only catch a game or two a year. This is coming from a guy who LOVED baseball all through high school and college. 

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

It's baseball, so nah.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I will tune in once the Care Bears are off and the 3 year old is sleeping. 

+2 HS

God bless,I just put the 4 year old princess down with a belly full of food and spongebob.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Mommy is out of town this week so she's been up late. Last night went to bed at 10 and got up at 6:45. Back on schedule tonight. Bets are she doesn't make it thru the next Care Bear episode!

edit: down by 8 pm. Score one for dad tonight. 

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Damn, a Bob Dylan song in a nice rendition. Fitting since he was from nearby Hibbing, MN. 

+1 HS

Yeah that was Angelic. Got the goosebumps. Wife on the way home I'm about to crack open a twisted tea and hopefully Chapman will strike out 3 in his inning later.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

My only wish for the Reds players tonight ... Stay healthy. 

+1 HS

Long hair don't care just beat out a infield grounder that Jeter wanted badly...I can live with that.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I feel another forum post coming ...

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Some jackass yelling "overrated" just as Jeter doubles ...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Happy for Jeets leading off the bottom of the 1st.

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

A little damaged Card ace psyche might not be a bad thing ...

+1 HS

Trout is a man child.

+1 HS

Puig is well...a child.

Knarcisi's picture

There's that breaking ball we all know (and usually hate). 

+2 HS

And there is that Cardinal giving the game up early.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Was there a reason why KK didn't start

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Matheny picked his own guy. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Been away for a few days and I missed it. Looks like it may not have been the best decision 

+1 HS
Keith Byars is the man's picture

Yes wainwright's manager is the national league all star manager tonight. Matheny (reynoldsburg boy) taking care of his own.

Nothing is Impossible!!!

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Holy man ... Turned a jammed up swing into some juice. 

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Jeter gets a double and the dbag that chanted overrated now has to eat a shoe or hat.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Miggy's deep fly was nice 

+2 HS

Take a seat Adam. You did admiral but we are better off without you buddy.

Knarcisi's picture

These guys can freakin rake. 

+1 HS

Brewers got some offensive heat there is no denying that one.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

There's at least 5 of these guys I've never heard of before the All Star event. I follow the Reds, and it's been about 5 years since playing fantasy baseball. 

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Nice play. Great to see the vets Ramirez, Jeter, and Utley playing well. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kershaw brought it tonight

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Bud cannot get enough of himself

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I think that was Larry Doby standing in the back by Robinson's wife. 

Edit:  nope, he passed in 2003. 

512buckeye's picture

Fail by Bautista.

Let's party, Columbus.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Simon hung by a thread through that gauntlet. 

+1 HS
512buckeye's picture

Bend but don't break!

Let's party, Columbus.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Is Heacock the new pitching coach?

+2 HS
PG_BUCK's picture

I'm in Argentina and all they have is Track & Field on tv....TRACK & FIELD! 

Go BUCKS!

+4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

What the heck are you doing in Argentina?

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hey PG do you get the B1G Network in Argentina?

+1 HS
PG_BUCK's picture

I'm in Argentina on business and then vacationing for a few days. No BTN but 2 or 3 channels of ESPin all in Spanish.

Go BUCKS!

Knarcisi's picture

Adam Jones has that Eric Davis look. 

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

I was thinking the EXACT same thing KNARCISI!

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

brandonbauer87's picture

Seeing Jeter get a much deserved ovation was nice. 

I lost interest in baseball around 2003. I had a little interest last year, and more this year. I'm not fully back, but this time around I'm an Indians fan. I try to catch one Tribe game per week, and I'll watch most of the game tonight. 

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

"I shot Jeter."

"It was an accident."

"Was it?!"

Jeter sucks.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I hope I look half as good as Rod Carew when I'm 68 years old. 

Knarcisi's picture

Hunter Pence. Most awkward plate approach in baseball. Is to batting what David Eckstein was to fielding. 

buckeyebfd's picture

Did I miss something and Jeter has a terminal disease? I thought Joe Buck was getting ready to cry while interviewing him.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture
+3 HS

So Wainwright admits to giving Jeter a couple of pipe shots(ducks to hit) off sympathy? Oh well the Cardinals pitchers have given up every run. Here comes the Cuban missile crisis.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Ripken got the same treatment his last All Star game as well.

+2 HS

The  missile is alright. They need to worry about Jeters ego and babysit that after the game. Dont try to push attention and act like all of Cincinnati needs to worry about Chapmans health.

-1 HS
cinserious's picture

Man, Chapman throws a few pitches at the ASG and finds a way to come up gimpy? IS it even possible for a team to have such shitty luck with injuries in such a short amount of time? 

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I cringed. The only thing I hoped for was no injuries. Hopefully he's alright. 

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

I hope the injury bug stays here in Cincy and doesn't drive up I-71.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

-2 HS
Firedup's picture

Disappointing there was no tribute at all to former HoF's Tony Gwynn and Don Zimmerman who passed away this year

"Making the Great State of Ohio Proud!" UFM

+6 HS
cinserious's picture

No doubt! I didn't think about that. Gwynn was a fixture at the All Star game for so many years. You could pencil him in for like two decades.

+1 HS
Firedup's picture

but yet, Fox had time for a birthday shout out that was meaningful for maybe 3 people 

"Making the Great State of Ohio Proud!" UFM

+1 HS