Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

006 David Blatt International Man of Mystery

Hogan1's picture
July 12, 2014 at 3:55am
4 Comments

Every one knows The King coming back is a huge deal but this guy must have nerves of steel he spent 6yrs as Russia's national team head coach and 2yrs in their pro league. He was also involved in one way or another with the Israeli pro league and national team for 16yrs. These countries might not possess the talent the NBA has  but what they lack in talent they make up for it with unreal pressure to win on a global stage and in their respected leagues. Mr. Blatt has proven himself as a fine European coach now its time for him to prove he can do it the country he was born in.

Posterchild's picture

David Blatt is a great coach, I have known about him for a little while now since I work for the owner of Maccabi 'Bazan' Haifa down here in Florida. We played against Tel Aviv in the last two Israel League Championships, won two years ago and lost to them in the last.

Maccabi Tel Aviv are the Yankees of the Israeli Super League, they have a much larger budget than all the other teams, save for Jerusalem so his success there is not surprising. But his real accomplishment is leading Elektra to the Euro League Championship, he did not have the most talented team in the tournament, and it was the first time an Israeli team had ever won the Euro League.

I have no doubt that he is a great coach, and could do well in Cleveland. I only worry he will get caught up in the bright lights of the LeBron media frenzy, he will be able to handle the championship expectations and whatever. Gilbert and the front office have to give Blatt a couple of years, no more carousel (one year and done) shit with the coach.

I am extremely excited for David, LeBron and the city of Cleveland. I think this could really be the beginning of something special.

+3 HS
DaveStephens's picture

If Spoelstra can win 2 championships with Lebron, I'm sure this cat can too.

The Dude abides.

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I hope you're right.  Of this country's 'Big Three' sports (MLB, NFL and NBA), the NBA is by far and away the most watched globally.  That means the eyes of the world on little Cleveland, OH.

Welcome home, King James

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Blatt has been a little lost in the shuffle. What a great way to start your NBA career with the epicenter of hoops coming home.

+1 HS