Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

The last 2014 World Cup thread I will make - questions for those who aren't/weren't soccer fans

jeremytwoface's picture
July 11, 2014 at 2:42pm
48 Comments

I promise I will stop bugging you guys about the World Cup after this thread...

This year's Cup is coming to an end so I just wanted to gauge the interest in soccer from people with a couple questions.

1.) Will you start watching soccer (MLS, BPL, La Liga)? Or a better question might.... If a game is on, will you automatically change the channel or maybe stick around and watch it for a bit (assuming that college football or NFL isn't on at the same time)?

2.) I know it is 4 years away, but will you watch the next World Cup? Keep in mind that in 2018 it will be in Russia where the games will probably be on between 5:00am and 9:00am Eastern Time AND it will be on FOX, not ESPN.

3.) A special version of the Copa America will be held in the USA in 2016. Is that something any of you will be watching?

Ok, that is all. These are obviously questions that are geared towards people who were non-soccer fans before this World Cup

BierStube's picture

I will wait for Rill to answer ...

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+10 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-3 HS
cinserious's picture

Well played and well done OSUstu

Gone ham, be back soon...

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

-3 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

1)I will watch the same as I do now.  If I flip the channel to it, and I'm in the mood----I'll watch for a few minutes.  I do the same with curling, cricket, badminton,table tennis, foosball, etc.

2,3)  I will root for all teams that play for our country.  I do enjoy seeing athletes perform.  I am primarily a high school and college football fan, as well as college basketball.  All other sports, I keep my ear on, but don't live and die by them.  

Is that a good enough answer for you-----jack? 

Signed, The Rill Dill-----International Sports Blogger

Buckeye Knight's picture
Signed, The Rill Dill-----International Sports Blogger Man of Mystery

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I wouldn't normally post something like this, but since you asked.

1. No, I won't start watching pro soccer.

2. I might catch some of the World Cup next time.  I watched a little this year and cheered the team on with some friends, but just can't get into the sport.  I always want the U.S. to do well though.

3. No, I won't be watching.

I've given soccer a good chance, I played 2 seasons as a kid, had a girlfriend play in high school and went to many games and tournaments, I have 3 kids playing soccer now, and I have watched parts of a few world cups.  I just do not enjoy watching the sport.  I could analyze more here, but it's just boring to me.  To be fair, college football is really the only sport I "follow" anymore though.  And sports like baseball and NASCAR, etc. I like being at the events, but I can't sit and watch them on TV.  Just my opinions, nothing more.

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

1. I tried to watch some MLS. The talent disparity is very real but I enjoy watching the game a bit. I will attempt to follow a team in the EPL but I need to get more acclimated to the schedules and leagues. So I plan to try, just not sure how.

2. I've watched the World Cup each year since 1994. I will definitely watch it again. World cup is an awesome sport to watch. I wish they would just stop it with this Qatar crap and pull it from them and bring it to the US. In 8 years, futbol will be a huge sport here. I believe it because many kids are into it now than 8 years in the past.

3. Not sure about the Copa but I am interested in following the CONFED cup in 2 years. Hopefully the US will qualify. I am actually kind of shocked the Olympics haven't tried to incorporate soccer. The could do the group stage a few weeks before the opening ceremony (kind of like other sports have their qualifying or prelims). I think soccer would make the Olympics an even bigger draw and would also bring more interest to the US. I guess the Olympic committee are really dumb on many accounts.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

There IS soccer in the Olympics... The US failed to qualify in the past Olympics. The teams have to consist of players under 23 years old so the players that played in this World Cup won't necessarily be playing in the next Olympics. But some younger players will be there. That may be another reason that it's not as big of a deal since the world's elite players tend to not play.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

Squirrel Master's picture

damn, forgot about that. I remember now. Well goes to show how little it is recognized then and it should get more exposure. Probably not limit it to the 23 age. Let the full teams come and compete.

I used to say that I think the World Cup should change to every 2 years but I like the CONFED Cup and am interested in that growing more.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah the Confederations Cup is pretty cool. Like a mini-World Cup. I remember watching in 2009 and seeing the US beat Spain and then going up 2-0 on Brazil in the championship game before ultimately getting beat. 

Copa America is a huge deal in South America so that could become something big up here in 2016. Plus, hopefully we will qualify for the Olympics that year as well. I don't really mind the u-23 aspect of it because you will get to see a lot of young talent. Players that could very well be playing in Russia in 2018 or wherever the 2022 Cup will be held (I'm still not convinced it will stay in Qatar).

BucksfanXC's picture

I have watched EPL for years and always cheer for the team with the most Americans. Looking forward to EuroCup 2016, Copa America 100 or whatever they are calling it in 2016. Really can't wait for Russia 2018 and hoping that 2022 gets moved to USA so I can take my kids to games.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I'm in the not-a-big-fan boat when it comes to soccer but nonetheless:

1) If I happen to stumble upon one without anything else of real interest on, I might stick around. If it does't have one of the recognizable guys from the USMNT or elsewhere, though, I probably won't last for more than a few minutes.

2) I definitely will. Somewhat building off of the first answer, I do enjoy the game when I have someone to root for, much like NBA and NFL, and went absolutely nuts watching the guys this year! Other than us though, I didn't watch much of any other game except for the last few that have been more meaningful. Going back to the first question, if I found a similar liking for a MLS team, I might start following them closer (might check out the Crew).

3) Yes (if I remember) because the best damn country in the world will be playing!

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

jeremytwoface's picture

I'm sure you will be hearing about the Copa America leading up the tournament. I'm not sure which network has the TV rights (or if any have been chosen yet), but the Copa America is a pretty big deal down in South America. 

They will be playing the games in some huge stadiums too (Rose Bowl, MetLife and NRG to name a few), so I'm sure it will get a lot of press.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Will you start watching soccer (MLS, BPL, La Liga)?

Long live Celtic FC.

Although I'll admit that I haven't been watching as much in the last year or so that I had been before. I need to set up some time.

+1 HS
DudeNick4's picture

1. Yes, if a game is on, i'll likely watch some MLS and will start following the Crew

2. Absolutely I will watch in 2018, so long as I can stream FOX at work, they need to come out with a "WatchFOX" app (I'm unsure if they have one yet, didn't investigate it prior to this writing this)

3. I'll surely be watching the 2016 special.

I had a lot of fun watching the USMNT in 2006, 2010 and I watched almost all the games this year.  Even my wife enjoyed watching the games (even the games that the USMNT wasn't playing in)... I think I'm becoming a legitimate soccer fan.

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Is LeBron still a stakeholder in Liverpool? Now that Suarez isn't on the team, and LeBron is back in Cleveland, I could see myself rooting for them. I got big into soccer this year, first time I ever gave it a chance.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

1.  No.  ON an international scale, it was cool.  But remove the 'playing for your country' and I will lose interest.
2. Yeah, I'll try to catch the games.  Mostly to see what kind of 'Shit-Show' Russia will put on
3. I'm very close to Rose Bowl, so if there is an interesting match-up, maybe....or if there promises to be thousands of Brazilian women there..... 

+2 HS
Bluke221's picture

1) I will answer this question based off how I responded last World Cup. I will probably stop to watch a few minutes of an MLS game or two, instead of just skipping them over when they are on, for a few months. I will also pay somewhat close attention to the next season of Premier League play. Other than that soccer will most likely take a back seat until the early stages of World Cup Qualifying and Gold Cups start taking place down the road.

2) Yes I will most assuredly be watching the next world cup. The only question is whether or not it will be live. By that point I expect to have young kids, possibly even newborns. Maybe i'll take the late night/early morning shift and sneak in a game.

3) I will always be interested in any formal competition the USMNT is playing in.

Our honor defend we will fight to the end for Ohio..

Ahh Saturday's picture

It seems like your question is looking to see if there are any converts out there, and having been raised in a futbol household, I don't think I qualify.  Still, I'll continue watching EPL games and continue to try to follow MLS which seems to be slowly becoming less awful. On question two, when the Korea/Japan World Cup was going on, I had no DVR and saw nearly every game of the group stage.  With a DVR, there's little chance I won't watch every game of the group stage in 2018.  On the third question, I have to admit I had no idea about the US hosting, and participating in Copa America, but I love the idea and will absolutely make an effort to get to a game or two.

NashBuckeye's picture

First I had heard about the Copa America in 2016.  That actually sounds really cool.  There are so many good South American teams plus the USA, Mexico, and Costa Rica.  Would be a really good test for the USA in 2 years. Hope full strength USA team competes or we will get crushed.

Seattle Linga's picture

I love soccer and I will tell you it is easier to follow a team that's in first place like the Sounders. 

I played Collegiate soccer and will continue to watch the MLS and other leagues for a long long time.

I will watch any major tourney that has the USA involved.

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

1. If I had to pick a team to root for it would be the crew. I don't plan on watching it on tv unless they make it to the playoffs (or whatever MLS has as a postseason). I would like to actually go to a game. I've heard the Crew stadium can be a fun place to watch a game and I'm assuming the tickets are pretty cheap, so that's a plus also.

2. 4 years is such a long time so I don't know. I watched 0 seconds of this years world cup but I still kept up with it online. As of right now I'm saying I probably won't, but like I said 4 years is a long time.

3. Only game I would watch would be the US if they made the championship game. Also I saw the Rose Bowl was a possible host stadium for the tourney. Seeing soccer in the Rose Bowl would be pretty sweet...

Our Honor Defend!

jeremytwoface's picture

If you don't have Time Warner Cable, you definitely shouldn't plan on watching the Crew on TV. That's the only way you can.

Games at Crew Stadium CAN be fun if you sit in the supporters section (Nordecke). I liken it to sitting in the student's section of an OSU game (football or basketball). Everyone is standing the whole time and cheering and singing and chanting and are usually drunk.

If you sit in the regular section, you will mostly have people sitting on their hands the whole game.

You can get supporter's section tickets for around $20-$25 I believe. So they aren't bad at all.

As far as seeing soccer in the Rose Bowl........

Unky Buck's picture

Games at Crew Stadium CAN be fun if you sit in the supporters section (Nordecke). I liken it to sitting in the student's section of an OSU game (football or basketball). Everyone is standing the whole time and cheering and singing and chanting and are usually drunk.

The summer before I moved out of Columbus, I went to a couple Crew games with some friends/old coworkers from the Varsity Club. We always sat there. That was a great section to be in and we always had a blast.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

1. Nope

2. Maybe

3. Nope

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

-1 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

1. No, I don't see myself starting to watch soccer, whether it's leagues in the U.S. or anywhere else.

2. I will check the scores when they're posted, but that's about it. I will always hope for the best for any of our national teams, whether soccer, ping pong, or ice sweeping...

3. No on this also.

Nothing against the sport or those who follow it, but it holds little interest for me. 

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I'll watch the 2018 World Cup. Does that count?

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

jeremytwoface's picture

Yep... That was one of my questions.

jeremytwoface's picture

I'm not sure how the 2018 Cup is going to go as far as popularity in the USA.

I think it depends how FOX does it. I'm assuming that they will show it on a delay because the games will be live very VERY early in the morning here in the US. I think if FOX plays the games at good times (maybe 3pm and 7pm), then they will have some success.

The question I have is whether they will show them live as well. I'm a big enough fan that I will want to watch the US play live. I don't want to have to avoid seeing the result all day to come home and watch it 12 hours after it already happened. This happened a lot with me and the Sochi Olympics.

I also hope that FOX pumps up the publicity as much as ESPN was supposed to. ESPN has a much broader audience than FOX Sports. So many people watch SportsCenter and I can't say I know anyone who watches FOX Sports Live... Plus, SportsCenter is on almost all day with all of the different ESPN channels there are. With SportsCenter, ESPN was able to shove the world cup down people's throats.... I don't think FOX Sports Live will be able to do that. It will be interesting to see what kind of interest they drum up for the 2018 Cup.

Jack Fu's picture

I think they have to show them live. In this now-now-now internet culture, no one will watch tape-delayed games when they can find the scores at the click of a button. People will watch, as long as the games aren't on at like 2 or 3 AM, and even then, a lot of people still would.

jeremytwoface's picture

That's what I worry about with the ratings next Cup. I think they WILL show them live, but they will also show them later on in the day.

So, for the people who aren't really soccer fans; will they get up at 4am to watch the USA play? Probably not. Will they watch the game later on when they will all see the score online throughout the day? Probably not.

Jeeves's picture

Deutschland,Deutschland über alles!

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I gave it an honest try this year.  I had it on a grand total of 3-4 minutes before I was unconsciously playing with my droid, Chrome and gf's laptop looking for ..........anything else.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

will you automatically change the channel

Yes.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

jeremytwoface's picture

You don't count.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

How rude. :/

I only care about 4 sports:

1. Women's volleyball
2. Women's tennis
3. Football
4. Basketball

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

rosenbuck's picture

All I'm going to say is if you want to watch the best soccer in the world, starting in the fall most Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons the best soccer in the world is played- the champions league.  Imagine the top teams from all the FBS conferences (and most of the squads are from the AQ conferences) playing a simultaneous season along side their conference season.  And it's all on fox sports one.  As fun as the World Cup is, watching the elite club soccer teams face off will always be better.

+1 HS
CC's picture

No

Yes

No

Football for men starts in 6 weeks.  I can't wait to have it back.

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

1. EPL (Arsenal) from August through May above all other sporting events including (gasp) American Football.

2. Yes, the earlier in the day the better. 3AM would be stretching it.

3.  I will go to a few of the games.

THEOSUfan's picture

1) No.

2) I watched this world cup via DVR.  The only way I could stand it was to fast FF until a score and then rewind a couple of minutes and watch the lead up.  Everything in between scores was passing until the ball was taken away, repeat on that end, repeat on the other end, ad nauseum.

3) Hell no.

Here's what soccer needs to do to grab me (which they won't do):

1) Make the goal taller and wider.   2) Take a defender out of the scoring area.  3) Eliminate the offsides rule.  4) Give me 14-9 scores or the like.

Otherwise, I don't have the time to watch a bunch of guys doing what appears to be nothing.

jeremytwoface's picture

To each his own I guess....

I hope you don't watch baseball though.

THEOSUfan's picture

Seldom.

But baseball has a couple of things going for it that soccer doesn't: 1) No ties  2) More scoring on average  3) The potential for a score with every swing of the bat.  Baseball is downright awe inspiring in comparison.