Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Thank You World Cup

45OH4IO's picture
July 10, 2014 at 6:57pm
7 Comments

Every summer I face the desolate sports landscape that stretches between the last whistle of the Super Bowl and the first whistle of the CFB season. Yes, there are the empty calories of March Madness and mild distraction of the NBA playoffs, but for the most part the football offseason is hell on Earth.

But not THIS year. In this past month, I have gotten to witness cannibalism, beautiful women, trucks full of money being delivered to soccer players so they will play, the humiliation of Brazil, irrational unrestricted American patriotism, the meteoric rise of The Rill Dill to established British commentator and so much more. And now I look at the calendar and there is only a measly month between me and the sweet embrace of fOOtball season.

I publicly thank you World Cup, for all that you do and I hope the rest of 11W who reaped the same benefits as me thanks you too.

With Much Respect,

45OH4IO

rdubs's picture

I am a fan of nearly every sport, so I also enjoy the Tour de France and its 3+ weeks of drama is also helpful.  Anyone who saw yesterday's stage knows what I am talking about.  It was tragic to see the defending champ go out like that, but there was no lack of drama and it set the rest of the race up to be extremely dramatic with everyone chasing Nibali.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Rill Dill's rise is probably my favorite part of the World Cup. Jason getting a correction from the BBC is a close second.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

jeremytwoface's picture

I agree with this... I love that Jason was able to get the BBC to change their story.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

45OH4IO's picture

I don't often (ever) mention 11W to my wife. That was until Rill Dill. That was a story that transcended OSU nerd-dom and could be appreciated by even the ladies with the finest taste. (Not the Suarez kind of taste. Figurative taste.)

MN Buckeye's picture

So I guess cannibalism is the highlight of your summer so far.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The World Cup is my Super Bowl... and it only happens once every 4 years. I'm sad that it's almost over but it's been the best Cup I've ever seen.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Seattle Linga's picture

Love the WC - and just FWIW - So glad Brazil is vacationing.

+1 HS