Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

The Lebron Thread

BassDropper's picture
July 4, 2014 at 7:43pm
126 Comments

It's Happening

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlhNtDdLptmSAe3KHLjHsCv_YZGhGz2H81ep2XZYavP_a2npkOQnyVPAM

OSU069's picture

While I still don't think it's likely, the chance of him returning has increased significantly over the last 24 hours. 

sharks's picture

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

hit_the_couch's picture

How dare anyone downvote TV's favorite dad.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Calgarybuck's picture

Over under 5 Lebron threads before he announces his "decision".

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

Aren't we already over?

Danify's picture

We are over and I expect him to make his decision on Wednesday before his basketball camp starts.

Seattle Linga's picture

Being a Cav's fan for my entire life - I would love LBJ to come back home but I will wait to believe it until he signs.  

+10 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I'm the same age as LBJ, would a have went to SVSM had I continued with the catholic education, and knew Corey Jones (SVSM teammate) through growing up.

Been a huge LBJ fan. Soured when he went to Miami. I don't think this is at all realistic but I would welcome him back with open arms.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

-1 HS
bethmowins's picture

https://twitter.com/Josh_Tep

That guy is getting alot of attention on the Lebron return. It will take some time to go through all his tweets (they started about 24 hours ago) but alot of people are getting behind him. Seems to be alittle far fetched but I have to admit it's getting me excited.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Seems a little out there, but not completely ridiculous. If he's right, every Cavs fan should follow on him twitter and he should be given key to the city.

s.pasadena fl's picture

From one south Akron kid to another {Crosier St.} Come home!

Ed Hopper

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

people are now saying that Lebron will be meeting face to face with Dan Gilbert. It was previously reported that he would not be meeting with any teams. Sam Amico just reported yesterday that Lebron and Dan Gilbert have forgiven each other. 

Lotta smoke out there, and for the first time, I am truly thinking there is fire to this.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Always interesting when people say things.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
osu407's picture

If I was lebron I would sign with cleveland (winning there cements your legacy more than winning at any other city) for five dollars a year. This would leave lots of money to get the best players to play with me, while making me look good from a public relations point of view despite still making an absurd amount from sponsorships. But that's just me. 

+3 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

If I were the Cavs, I'd offer four and see what happens...

In reality, one million dollars and five aren't so different to these guys.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

If I was lebron I would sign with cleveland (winning there cements your legacy more than winning at any other city) for five dollars a year.

No, you wouldn't.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I would be very happy if Lebron came back.  He would probably become more involved w/ OSU too.

+9 HS
SilverState's picture

This was my first thought. :)

johnblairgobucks's picture

For all the Cavs fans that didn't get trolled enough by the "Decision", here is your chance to be trolled again by  "the King".

I would love to see him back in Cleveland, and for the Cavs to win 55+ games a year for a while, but I just can't believe it will happen.

+7 HS
BassDropper's picture

Lebron has no reason to troll Cleveland. Lebron loves Ohio, and regardless, he will be living in Ohio when he retires. He has no reason to stir the pot and get Cavs fans riled up for no reason.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

Talking to some friends back in my hometown of Akron they said LBJ's wife wants him to return to the Cavs since the Heat didn't 3-peat so their kids can attend the same HS they did. Although not living in Akron anymore I have no idea if that's true or not. Anyone here living in NE Ohio hear anything like that?

bleedscarlet's picture

I could see it... he's got money and trophies, if he's looking to his legacy, what would be bigger than winning a championship for an Ohio franchise. Winning a championship or two in Cleveland would put him in a category with Jordan and over Bryant, so the thought may come into his head.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

This is going to sound crazy, but I think Manziel being in Cleveland makes it that much easier. The marketing opportunities will be insane, not to mention they share the same agent. I think Rich Paul (the agent) prefers Cleveland and Lebron does too.

DIRECTIONER

+6 HS
Gametime's picture

I strangely agree with this...What Manziel & LeBron in CLE would be able to do for that city and for advertising would be Nike martkeing dream. ESPECIALLY if having Wiggins with LeBron as a mentor actually turns Wiggins into LeBron's personal "Pippen"; with a just short of elite PG, and a gang of youthful bigs left. Then bring back Mo Williams for the mid-level exception.

Cleveland could easily be one of the teams to beat in the East again. If Carmelo goes to the Bulls, those match-ups would be EPIC.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

unless Mo is brought in for absolute minimum he doesnt ever need to put on a cavs uniform again.  besides i think lebron was tired of carrying him anyways.

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Correct. Delonte West is the answer. 

+6 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

LeBron + Irving + Wiggins + Waiters(don't count him out) + Thompson + Andy + young talent is a championship contending team right there. I mean Imagine the offensive possibilities in transition(Blatt likes offensive teams) if they put out a lineup like this PG: Waiters SG: Waiters SF: Wiggins PF: LeBron C: Andy or Thompson. It would be crazy, best transition offense in the league.

On the other hand, if they trade some of their young assets for Love(he has already said he would "100%" sign if LBJ is there, they would have the best big 3 in the NBA pending what Carmelo does with LeBron-Love-Irving, with still some good young talent around it even if some are traded for Love. Would be devastating and they would win more quickly this way while the other would be committing more to youth. I'll be honest I thoroughly despise THE WAY LeBron left so I will never be as big of a fan as I once was, but as an objective Cavs and Basketball fan I understand the incredible things that would happen if he signed with the Cavs. I'm hoping he does, it could be a dynasty.  

+3 HS
Eph97's picture

I wouldn't give up Wiggins for Love. I'd trade the 3 2015 first round picks for him though.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

But really, what does LeBron need from Manziel when it comes to marketing? He is already a brand.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Eddie-Eddie's picture

Lebron is an Ohio guy, he want to come back, the Cavs just got to make it happen. 

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

Oh crap! So, I shouldn't have burned my jersey?

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+15 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Well the Cavs did change their jersey design, and LeBron wouldn't wear 23 this time around...

I actually have mine stowed away somewhere.  Thought about selling it on eBay...someone would buy it. 

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

I think that's the only real reason I would want him to come back....in hopes that we'll start wearing awesome uniforms again instead of the ugly ass boring uniforms we wear now.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Haha that is hilarious because I know I have seen dropper trash LBJ. Now all of a sudden there is hope huh? I'm a Cav's lifer and I know not to get  my hopes up. If it was to happen it would be great. Unrealistic expectations set people up for unwarranted hate fests. I wont be a participant.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

are you serious right now? Now your just making shit up. I love Lebron, you have clearly never read my post...like ever.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+8 HS
BassDropper's picture

I mean if your going to call me out, at least get your facts straight. 

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+11 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well done Grove love it

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

You were the guy calling for Urban to get fired when we had only 2 commits.

DIRECTIONER

+9 HS

Broseph? For serious?  You swear on everything you love that wasnt you?

buckeyestu's picture

I doubt Lebron comes back to play in Cleveland, but i hope so.

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Lebron is my favorite NBA player.

He is an exciting player to watch. Like him or not nobody has his all around skill set.

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I'd love to see him back in Cle, so I can love the Cavs again :0!  Their fan base/home games >>>> Heat. 

Should get his dancing bro back too, now that he's an actual legit NBA player. 

+3 HS
logamaniac's picture

if you loved the cave because lebron was there then as far as I'm concerned you can keep rooting for the heat.  I'm not a cavs fan but I'm a cleveland fan so i support all the city's teams.

-3 HS

I never loved the 'cave'. I'm a big time LeBron fan so I'll root for whoever he plays for, I do like him playing for the Cavs more than the Heat though. Esp since all the Cavs fans who started to hate him are now droppin' to their knees wanting him to come back.

-4 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

I've always had love for the cave

Football is complicated...

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kareem - You're probably in this picture aren't you.........

+12 HS

That would suggest I'd actually be running (or biking).  I'd be on one of the porches saluting with a beer in one hand and a jack n coke in the other.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

LOL - that's great - thanks for posting ---------- enjoy your liquid filled weekend brother.

+2 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

They aren't dropping on their knees for LeBron they're dropping on their knees for wins. The most realistic Cavs fans know that getting LeBron like it or not would be the best chance at a championship in franchise history.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

I'm certainly not on my knees out of the principle of it. He had us all on our knees last time and he burned us. I'd rather him stay in Miami. Him cutting and running when times are tough yet again would just make success in the future feel dirty. I guess I can't be picky about having success as a Cleveland sports fan, but I'd hate to have to be in position to root for a guy I don't care for again. I suppose I could root for the team's success and Kyrie and Wiggins. Anyone on their knees begging and praying for him right now is making the same mistake over again, regardless of whether or not he comes back.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I was upset when he left Cleveland, but only because as a fan I wanted him to win with the Cavs, not somewhere else. I'm not getting my hopes up on a return, but I would love it.

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Jordan made an interesting discovery 

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Danify's picture

As an long time Cleveland fan, why must people get my hopes up. Everytime it happens for us Cleveland fans ... well it ends terribly. Haha.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Question for my fellow Cavs fans...would you be willing to part ways with Wiggins in order to get Lebron?

The answer is an obvious yes, anything to get Lebron...but I think Wiggins/Irving/James would be pretty dynamic. Love or Wiggins?

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS
Danify's picture

Oddly enough I would prefer to have Kyrie, Wiggins, and LeBron as an core. Plus, Cleveland has tons of draft picks to use as assets if need be. Additionally, as the days and weeks go by, Minnesota's ground and it's stance is quickly decreasing as it is doubtful Love is staying in Minnesota, so they will continue to get decreased deals as it get closer to the season.

With that in mind I wouldn't mind the Cavaliers using their three first round picks next season, including an Miami pick, which would become extremely valuable if LeBron James were to leave Miami along with Memphis' pick as trade bait with Waiters and Thompson (possibly Bennett) as Love can play the 4 in place of Thompson and Bennett.

+1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

I think it is possible they can get it done without trading Wiggins. Having Irving + Wiggins + Love + LBJ would be a crazy amount of talent on one team.

BassDropper's picture

a Center away from being a legit All Star team.

If we can get Love by trading our 3 first round picks, Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett (would rather they take Tristan) that would be awesome. Minn loves Wiggins though and that might be the deal breaker. 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

As a fan, I prefer Wiggins over Love simply because of their salaries. I think Wiggins will grow into a very good player, and will soon be playing much better than his contract shows. The smaller salary could help the team get other pieces.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+2 HS
KingsRite's picture

It would be nice to actually have the Cavs in playoff contention again. I didn't like how he left nor the team he went to but it would be awesome to see him back where he belongs.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

TraSmith4's picture

Um first of all you don't have to get rid of Wiggins to get KLove trust me. The Cavs have already pegged Wiggins as the teams shooting guard which means that Waiters is clearly on the market which I'm sure Kyrie won't shed a tear if he gets traded he might even throw a party! The fact that the Cavs are telling the Clippers they don't want to do a sign and trade for Hawes now also lends credence to something going on behind the scenes because otherwise it would benefit them to work out a deal, but since they need more cap space they are saying no thank you to the Clips per media reports. Something is happening! I hope it's BIG! :)))

+1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

Yeah as I said before I think it is possible. Minny is going to lower their standards as being left completely empty handed becomes a realer and realer possibility for them. Cavs can put together an incredible package for Love with or without Wiggins.

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

You are correct and obviously all of this is contingent on LBJ coming home but the Cavs have enough attractive pieces and enough draft picks to secure a Love or Aldridge before those teams realize they will lose them anyway and get very little in return. It's hard to believe but Bron could actually come home and have a better surrounding cast than if he stays in Miami and the longer Pat Riley swings and misses on free agents you have to believe the odds keep getting better. Melo stays in NY or goes to HOU but he isn't joining up with Bron.

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Would love to see him come back home and win a title or 2 in Cleveland. That would be a storybook ending..........

+4 HS
BuckeyePride's picture
Cleveland fans be like

How Firm Thy Friendship....

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I've generally soured on the NBA over the last few years because I think it has issues overall from lack of defense to unpopular cities.  But it has always had the most compelling free agency and trades of all the sports.  Could you imagine the NFL with the same level of excitement in the form of free agency and trades?

As far as LeBron coming home... I will believe it when I see it.  I think he stays in Miami.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

logamaniac's picture

the NFL is too big for comparable level of excitement unfortunately.  one player makes a much larger impact when its 5 on the court :(

+1 HS
rosenbuck's picture

You're absolutely right. Didn't deserve a DV.

BassDropper's picture

Never heard of this guy, but twitter is sticking up for him. have seen comments a long the lines of "BSK is one of the best, he wouldn't make this up"

DIRECTIONER

IGotAWoody's picture

Dude, I just heard from THREE sources that ANOTHER source talked to MY source, and that MY source says HIS source thinks those THREE sources really know what they're talking about!! For reals!!! (@TheIGWsays)

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+9 HS

+3 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Be nice to nail her.

+8 HS

I know a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend that can confirm your story!

+2 HS
Orlando Buckeye's picture

If three people all read the same wikipedia article, that is still just one source.

+5 HS
buckeyestu's picture

My friend of a friend of my brother who has a friend  would like someone to confirm anything, especially a rumor or two, or three.

+1 HS

Off topic a little bit but I can confirm it's a sunny & warm day here today.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about LeBron James, Lone Star.

Lone Starr: What?

Dark Helmet: I got an source from your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Lone Starr: What does that mean for us?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what will become of these sources in a few weeks.

(Had to do it...)

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Also, if he were to return....

I would download the Lebron app.

+2 HS
nrbuckguy's picture

I would be so ridiculously happy if this actually happens. Also, honestly I think we can eventually pry K-Love away from Minny through a trade to form the "Core 4".  A package of our three '15 1st rounders, some other junk picks/players that we might be able to get out of some sign & trades from Miles, Deng, or Hawes, and then maybe 2 out of 3 of Waiters, Bennett, or Thompson.  I think Minny would eventually give in to that offer without Wiggins because they are going to lose Love next offseason anyway.  Then maybe trade the remaining player out of Waiters/Bennett/Thompson for a 3 and D guy and a defensive post presence that can block shots and play the 5 spot.  Just the thought of this is getting me really excited.

In Urban We Trust

scottyp_330's picture

Let's think about this, the Heat have Norris Cole And Shabazz Napier signed right now. Its already been confirmed Bosh wants MAX money for a 4 year deal. He would have to take a significant pay cut along w Dwade to afford all three. Then there's 8 or 9 million MAX for other pieces. By opting out and demanding MAX, LBJ knew the Heat could not afford all 3 plus pieces needed to compete at a high level again. It was a genius way to save face and get out before he wastes another year with a declining Dwade or making chemistry with a bunch of players who haven't played together. There's no chance he ever wears another jersey other than Heat or Cavs or else his legacy would take a bigger blow. The only move that makes sense is coming home, and the fact we stopped talking to Gordon Hayward is a good sign.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I know Wade opted for less but how much less will they offer? I also heard CB would take less and not go for the max but what I usually hear is wrong. Any thoughts?

OSU069's picture

I think they said that if Lebron would commit, they would take 15 mil a year. That still wouldn't really help them at all.

Seattle Linga's picture

If you are Wade - knowing that you are owed 22.5 million on your way - wouldn't you wait until LBJ signed back in before you decided. I know timing is an issue and maybe he already has enough cash - but to opt out, and have there be a possibility of LBJ leaving wouldn't sit well I'm sure.

RedStorm45's picture

We three sources deep?  That's some inception-level shit right there.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Sam Amico from Fox Sports Ohio released an excellent article about 15 minutes ago about information on the Cavaliers Free Agency targets (Including LeBron James, of course). An short must read, if interested.

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/nba-report-bosh-unaware-of-lebron-s-...

+2 HS
KingsRite's picture

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

This is awesome. Seems too good to be true. I will remain cautiously optimistic on this until he actually confirms and it is released to the media. 

Danify's picture

Yeah, the only sources or individuals of media, which will get me excited about LeBron James coming back to Cleveland are Sam Amico, Terry Pluto, Glenn Moore, or Adrian Wojnarowski.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

There are very few that I trust -----I certainly trust Pluto the most - usually spot on.

Chris Raiden's picture

There's a lot of "sources" going on around here.

I'm not buying this until the national guys start jumping onboard, and by national guys, I mean the ones that don't work for ESPN (hitting F5 in between characters in this post on Woj's Twitter feed as we speak).

But really, exciting times in Cleveland sports. Those don't come around all that often.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Source: Lebron has came to an agreement with the Cavs. Could be announced to the press as early as today.

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS
BassDropper's picture

like I said

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Im still not completely ruling this out. Gilbert's plane is in fact headed to Miami. And as Ben Axleford pointed out, that's the same plane that flew to NJ to meet with Kyrie.

and usually when someone tweets to try to prove their location they either tweet a picture, or turn their location on.

DIRECTIONER

Jbuckham94's picture

Is this a joke made about all the unnamed sources? Or is this something you actually heard on some site?

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

I have a source who works in Cleveland and is close to Rich Paul, didn't hear it on some site, heard it with my own ears.

and Joe Lull's tweet corresponds to what I was told last night.

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
OSU069's picture

Umm Dan Gilbert just tweeted that he is at his house. 

+3 HS
gneptuneproductions's picture

Well glad I didn't get my hopes up. Though not sure why he would need to fravel to South Florida in the first place.

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

It was BIg Z on the plane! Which is even better :)))))

OSU069's picture

All right Bass I'm kind of freaking out here so I'm going to need to know how sure you are about this. 

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

I tried

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS
OSU069's picture

So you were lying...

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Are you new here?

DIRECTIONER

-8 HS
OSU069's picture

No. I know you usually lie and troll. But when you posted that Joe Lull tweet I thought there might be a small chance you were telling the truth. 

+2 HS
gneptuneproductions's picture

Really hope you're right but.. trying not to get my hopes up too high.

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

+1 HS
Dweinz's picture
+3 HS
Danify's picture

Especially after I just read Chris Broussard's twitter message, I'm sensing where there is smoke there is fire... 

Danify's picture

Finally... it seems Dustin Fox is starting an trend...

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Just FYI hearing (not confirmed) that Vegas has pulled the Cavs off the board for the time being... you can't place a bet for them to win the Championship next year right now.... thinking Vegas might know something!?!?!

+1 HS
Danify's picture
Baroclinicity's picture

While the pieces the Cavs have may not fit right now, the talent brings flexibility through trade potential.  Now they also have Haywood's expiring $10 million contract after this year.  Figure they'll try to unloaded Jack, too?

Danify's picture

Massive amounts of smoke to this stuff. 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

If this happens, Colin Cowherd's head will spin off like a top...

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

Brian Windhorse just reported on SC that Lebron has called a meeting with Pat Riley (Windhorse hinted that Lebron would tell him he is signing elsewhere and thank him for his time in Miami)

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Does this mean that Windhorst will be coming back home as well? ;)))

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Significant as it allows the Cavaliers to officially have the cap space required to sign LeBron James to an max contract.  

+4 HS
RedStorm45's picture

I'm going to feel so bad for Cleveland if they're getting trolled again.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thought about that exact notion this morning. 

Citrus's picture

I took the time to read through Josh Teplitz's tweets (the personal trainer somehow in the know). In sum, LeBron cares about his legacy and the choice was only ever between Cleve and Miami but its Cleve. It Cleve for a number of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with basketball. LeBron wants to continue winning and because of the CAVS' youth, they'll be able to win for a long time. When LeBron's skill have faded a bit, there will still be enough talent on the roster to make it a championship team. Also, the CAVS have some flexibility with next year's picks.

He points out that Napier might have been LBJ's "favorite" player in the draft as in "fun to watch," but that LeBron agrees Wiggins was the best player in the draft. The media made a big deal about LBJ following Napier but he had been following Wiggins for months.

He makes some other interesting points about ESPN's prognostications involving Irving resigning, and that the Big 3 were opting out as part of a coordinated restructuring. We know that ESPN was wrong about Irving (said he wanted out and wouldn't resign), and now it appears that the LBJ and Bosh are legitimately pursuing other options which signals there wasn't that the coordination point was incorrect. 

hit_the_couch's picture

If this happens, the Cavs are about to pick up a whole bunch new fans. 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!