Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread: Round of 16, Day Four

11W Staff's picture
July 1, 2014 at 11:45am
64 Comments
Tuesday's Matches

We'll have a freedom thread on the front page for the USMNT game, but until then, allow Lionel Messi to warm things up.

Time (ET) Matchup TV Internet
Noon Argentina (3-0-0) vs. Switzerland (2-1-0) ESPN WatchESPN
4 p.m. Belgium (3-0-0) vs. United States (1-1-1) ESPN WatchESPN

[Posters via]

Squirrel Master's picture

It's about to get messi before it gets good!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Looks like an extended lunch here on west coast...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Surprisingly I have a 1:00 PM meeting that ironically goes to 3:00 PM that might go a little longer if necessary. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

I think the Swiss can poke sufficient holes into Argentinas game.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

FREEDOM FRIES TODAY BOYS!

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Let's hope, for the sake of the USMNT, that the Swiss can pull a major upset.

IF we happen to get past Belgium today, I don't see us beating Argentina if that's the match-up in the quarterfinals.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Unless Messi gets hurt, I'd have to say you're right.

UFest57's picture

Even then, Sergio Agüero fills in and we are still in BOG trouble. 

Citrus's picture

I'll leave it here too. Cause 'Merica 

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

I season my simple food with hunger

+6 HS

Swiss held strong and surrounded Messi with a wet blanket. Missed a couple golden opportunities and I'm still not sure how dude couldnt beat the goalie 1 on 1 till I see a replay.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS

+6 HS

This one is BAD ASS. Clint gets a goal today it is sealed in stone.

+1 HS

I love the Pulp Fiction style suit he is wearing. Or could even go with Reservoir Dogs.

+1 HS

Shit load of fine detail. If you look close enough on the far left you can even see the Christ the Redeemer statue. Kick some ass USA.

or how about the "I heart Star Wars" bumper sticker. and the D.A.R.E. bumper sticker on the other side. I can't read the others though.

ad the FU grill is awesome!

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

THESE COLORS DON'T RUN!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

jeremytwoface's picture

Back to the game that's going on right now....

I feel like Argentina are going to get one here. But the Swiss are staying in it. The longer they are in it, the better chance they have to pull one out.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Is it me, or is this the most wide open field ever at the WC? I've been watching religiously since '98, and I don't remember there being a field with so many flawed teams.

Seems like any team can win on any given day. I've never felt our chances were ever this good. I see no invincible teams at all.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I really think the US could just as easily lose 3-1 today as they could run to the semis.

I want to see Dempsey and Howard keep playing in their last WC. It will be a sad day whenever it ends...hopefully with our first WC Title...

ponder10's picture

I'm partial, but I think Colombia looks like the top team in the tournament right now. Go USA! Go Colombia!

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

Not only do they look like the top team at the moment James Rodriguez is playing like the top player. I think he is only 22 years old.

OSUEXT's picture

From what I've seen, alot of defensively organized teams, but not alot of great two way play in this tournament from teams. The US side of the bracket has the weaker teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if Colombia or Germany won the World Cup. 

Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

U-S-A!!!!

U-S-A!!!!

U-S-A!!!!

sbentz4's picture

Did anyone else catch that holy trinity comment? Maradona, Messi and Pope Francis

How can soccer be taken seriously when two of the sports biggest stars are named Messi & Kaka? With that being said...GO U-S-A, GGGGGOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Welp... So much for a Swiss win.

Yea but Argentina looks very beatable. Hopefully we survive today so we can talk Messi all week.

jeremytwoface's picture

And hopefully, if we win, it's not in extra time so we have a little more stamina.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Oh. My. God.

That should have gone in.

Also, how about the keeper with the bicycle??

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Sometimes you just get lucky...Swiss had it on that corner.

Swiss blew 3 golden goal opportunities today.

sbentz4's picture
+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

We had the same thought...

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is insane.....

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Now THAT was a dive!

jamesrbrown322's picture

If the Swiss had started playing that desperately earlier, they could have taken this match.

jeremytwoface's picture

Well, the trend of group winners to go on to the quarterfinals is not a good one for the US.

If our game is going to be anything like the other games, we will lose a heart-breaker in the last 10 minutes or in extra time/penalties. 

OldColumbusTown's picture

Just saw a stat that the US was the only group winner in 2010 to lose their Round of 16 game.  Might they have some payback, to become the only 2nd place group finisher in 2014 to advance to the quarterfinals?

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I hate to say I was right on this, but..........

Will the U-S-A take care of business today?

jeremytwoface's picture

#IBlelieve they will

+1 HS

The lineups are out:

Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vertonghen, Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard, Mertens, Origi

US: Howard, Johnson, González, Besler, Beasley, Cameron, Jones, Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi, Dempsey

Will Altidore play today?

Jurgen still says he's available, but he won't be starting obviously.  I don't think we'll know if he's really "available" until he enters the game, or just doesn't make an appearance.  My guess is he doesn't play today.

Thanks, I hope he's healthy enough to play but if not no reason putting him out there.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Interesting....

They are saying it's going to be a 4-3-3. That means a more attacking mentality. 

Surprising that there is no Beckerman... He's be arguably the best player for us.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Gray Box's picture

I Believe! Get Hyped:

Read on Twitter (Grant Wahl) that the US were told by coaches (and are presenting to FIFA) their formation is a 4-3-3 rather than 4-5-1.  Doing this to suggest "an attacking mentality."

jeremytwoface's picture

Evedentally, it will be a 4-3-3 when attacking and a 4-5-1 when defending.

I'm guessing Dempsey up top with Zusi and Bedoya on the wings.... Cameron, Bradley and Jones will be in the middle when attacking.

Lot's of running for Zusi and Bedoya

+1 HS

There's some talk on Twitter about this, and I wonder myself if this formation could possibly morph into more of a 3-4-3, with Cameron dropping deeper between Omar and Besler, and Fabian/Beasley getting up the field into the attack to put pressure on Belgium's wings.  Belgium, much like Germany, do not really have fullbacks - instead having guys who play centrally for their clubs.  They also like to attack from their wings, so if the US can force pressure on Belgium's back four, it may cause Hazard/Mertens to have to retreat a bit to help in defense.

I don't know.. it's tough to do something new like this all of a sudden - hopefully Jurgen's had this idea of Cameron as CDM in his back pocket for a while and just hadn't shown it yet.

I'll be one pissed off Buckaroo if we lose and Jozy Altidore doesnt even sub in.

jeremytwoface's picture

That's definitely a possibility...

He might not be quite match ready as of right now. Jurgen might not risk wasting a sub on him just for him to get injured again.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Oh man.. 

Is anyone else watching the pre-game?? The video they just showed was awesome.

Jeeves's picture

That  looks more like "Fortress USA".

jamesrbrown322's picture

4-3-3...like I always ran in FIFA...it always worked pretty well for me.

Although, if you're playing Cameron, I might put him at Left back and move DeMarcus to Midfield.

Go1Bucks's picture

All I can say is GOD DAMNIT WONDO!  How do you miss the 2 on 1 wide open shot of a lifetime?

Fuck US again.

Go Bucks!