Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade

Sebastian's picture
June 29, 2014 at 12:56pm
68 Comments

It appears that they will Re-sign with the heat , but i 'm still holding out hope for my Cavs, Thoughts?

labuck's picture

Heat. They aren't going anywhere. LeBron cannot keep chasing titles in different cities. He will probably finish his career there. Good for them but unfortunately they will still only be the 3rd or 4th best team in the NBA. The Mavs and Thunder both played the spurs tougher than the heat.

-1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

They're staying

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

703Buckeye's picture

I'm holding out hope he doesn't sign with my Cavs.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

Citrus's picture

It would suck to have the world's best basketball player.

+23 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Yeah, cause it's impossible to win otherwise.

He chose to leave Cleveland, I'd rather him not come back.

Citrus's picture

Far from the worst crime ever perpetrated. Do you not believe in the human capacity to learn, grow, and change? Have you never wanted to leave home and see what other possibilities exist? Also, if he did come back he would be choosing Cleveland. That doesn't matter?

As for whether it is impossible to win a championship without him. Yes, for this CAVS team. For the CAVS team put on the court next year, its is pretty close to impossible to win a championship without LeBron James. Add LeBron James and the CAVS would be favored to win the East and have a chance. I am not sure what your point is.

+12 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Slow your role there, I'm not a LeBron hater or anything near it. I don't think he's a bad person at all and seems like a rather cool dude. However, he chose to leave Cleveland and I would rather see the team win with players who didn't take the easy way out to Miami.

Oakland Buckeye's picture

Easy way out? he gave the first 7 years of his career & r-esigned with a franchise that surrounded him with relics (Shaq - Jamison to name a couple -) what good is it to be the best in the world when your GM was the worst in the league  & your owner is a total douche? 

DMcDougal24's picture

Had LeBron committed to the franchise for more than a couple years at a time perhaps it would have been more attractive for free agents. Ferry will have to own his role in failing to draft and surround LeBron with quality players, but let's not pretend LeBron didn't play a role in that. He was talking pending free agency over two seasons before he was set to hit the market! 

-1 HS

two words - 7 years.

He gave them 7 years & "impending" free agency should have only lit a fire under Ferry - it's not an excuse - it's an incentive.

rosenbuck's picture

This coming year's Cavs team will not win a championship, LeBron or otherwise.  Maybe they would have a shot next year, but even then this is a young team and I'm not sure LeBron is a strong enough leader to be "The Man" on a team full of youngsters.  He simply doesn't fit with the current incarnation of the Cavs.  And yes, whether you like it or not people are allowed to hold silly grudges and have hard opinions.  That's the beauty of sports.  Here's a fun little exercise for you: how do you feel about Kyle Kalis? Charles Woodson? Desmond Howard? Those guys all spurned Ohio and I doubt you're singing their praises or arguing with fellow Buckeyes about their capacity to "learn, grow, and change."

-1 HS
Citrus's picture

You're right. Having silly grudges is one of the fun parts about sports. However, pointing out the grudges are silly can be fun too.

Debating topics is also one of the purposes of forums. To wit, your comment disagreeing with my comment.

Your TTUN player example isn't the same. We are discussing a hypothetical in which an Ohio native left Ohio and then returned. That isn't like any of the players you mentioned but is like Justin Boren. Boren left Ohio to go to TTUN, then returned. We love him and the whole Boren family. When Boren wanted to play here, it would've been silly to not want him. It's silly to not want LeBron.

+2 HS
rosenbuck's picture

When Boren left Ohio the Buckeyes were in the middle of going to consecutive NCGs. He accomplished almost nothing at Michigan and then left Michigan because of philosophical differences.  There are two parts to the resentment for LeBron leaving: leaving title-barren Cleveland (OSU in the 90s and post tat-gate OSU) and winning the ultimate prize elsewhere (which Woodson and Howard did) as well as the way in which he did it (Kalis).  So while the timeline of events for Boren might be a more accurate comparison, its about more than that and I think my examples more accurately reflect the more ethereal aspects of the anti-LeBron argument.

-1 HS
Citrus's picture

True. I get the LBJ hatred. Trust me. I'm a life long CAVS fan. I lived in Miami. Heat became my second favorite team. I'd root for them when they weren't playing the CAVS then, The Decision. I was at a comedy show when it happened. The comedians quit their sets and instead talked about LeBron. It sucked. It sucked because it was rubbed in my face everywhere I went. It sucked because Miami fans are the most fair weather fans in the history of sports. I know this from extensive experience with them. For instance, two weeks after "The Decision" I'm at my girlfriend's house. Her sister comes in dressed to the nines. She says  she is going to a party at the W hotel (my old stomping grounds) that LBJ is attending. She asks me if I know who he is and I reply "actually, I was born in Akron." She responds "Oh, OK you don't know then. He is my favorite player on the Heat." I just grinned. Her favorite player? He has yet to even put a Heat uniform on, and it was obvious she knew nothing about him. Now the same fans that argued that Wade was better no longer thought so. Everytime I went to a bar, Heat game was on.

I was mad about the whole thing. But, I would welcome the guy back. The team would turn into contenders. It would be a great story. And American Airlines Arena would be empty.

+5 HS
Citrus's picture

SIDE NOTE ABOUT THE SISTER: There were three sisters. I dated the youngest and they were all hot. Like really hot. Every time I came over the sister in this story would be bra-less in a low cut top. It had to be purposeful. It was almost enough for me to forgive how incredibly dumb she was. Almost.

+10 HS
rosenbuck's picture

I was amongst the most staunch anti-LeBron people even last year probably, but at this point I've decided to be more positive and I've become pro-Cleveland to the point that I am excited about Johnny Football and I would appreciate having LeBron back. I've lived in Columbus my whole life (outside of a mistaken year in Granville) but I am a diehard Cleveland fan.  My love for Cleveland sports is only eclipsed by the Buckeyes.  At this point I would give almost anything for a Cleveland championship, and even though the realist in me knows LeBron coming back doesn't even remotely guarantee one, I would have him back just for the chance.

OSU069's picture

No offense but your girlfriends sister is really clueless for saying that. 

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

Hahah none taken. I was offended. She's my ex-girlfriend now. I almost wish it was appropriate to post pictures of these girls. They were model/actress hot (because thats what they did). 

+3 HS
Gametime's picture

WTF Citrus, it's totally appropriate between all the GoT, J-Law, & Kate Upton on this mofo... Soooo PICS or it didn't happen.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

Haha, we ever meet in person I'll provide more deets. 

sharks's picture

Hatin ass Sharks agrees with 703.

I'd rather he left Miami, so they can go back to drawing hundreds of fans per home contest.  Plus, Pat Riley's meltdown would be great.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

The only thing sillier than not wanting lebron james on the Cavs is the throngs of people who want to tell you that you're an idiot, immature, etc.

A buddy of mine asked what my thoughts were about Oden in miami. I said that I would begrudgingly cheer for him. If lebron were to come back, I'd begrudgingly root for him too.

I certainly do not want him back playing for my favorite team.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I know one thing for sure ----- Lebron can't dance !!!!!

In the famous words of Nancy Kerrigan - "WHY"

+5 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

It all hinges on if Dwyane Wade opts out, and he'll only opt-out if he's an idiot. He'd lose millions, because he's not worth anything close to what they're paying him.

Dwyane Wade is done. He can't hit open threes and his game always relied on his supernatural athleticism. His reckless style was his meal ticket, but now the bill on that is coming due and he doesn't have skills like Kobe to stay relevant as a scorer. Watching him play in the Finals, I think he knows it too.

If he won't take a paycut and the Heat can't retool their roster, I think LeBron would walk; hopefully he'll wind up with my Lakers.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

cajunbuckeye's picture

LeBron, with the Lakers!?

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+11 HS
Citrus's picture

Didn't D Wade opt out already?

+3 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

Wade already opted out.

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I saw it reported that Wade and Bosh are both opting out.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

It lebron went to the Lakers, that would be the ultimate "he can't win with a good team, has to go somewhere else with cash to throw around to buy talent" ever.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

1967Buck's picture

You may be right DJ, I could also see LeBron playing for my Celtics.

blocko330's picture

Well D Wade is an idiot then lol, opted out yesterday.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

I wonder if Wade flopped when he opted out?

+4 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Lol... dude is always falling down.

DJ Byrnes's picture

woooooow guess i missed that yesterday. he is, in fact, an idiot.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

IGotAWoody's picture

He's not an idiot, he opted out because it's become obvious to everyone that Lebron, Wade and Bosh are all opting out to retool their deals and create more cap space to sign role players and keep their run going. It's clear that Wade opted out because he has full faith that Miami's going to resign him, and hes' willing to take a pay cut in order to get it done. 

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I bet they all take pay cuts and then go out and try to sign another star or two.  Sad.

-2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

The Spurs did it, why can't the Heat?

There's nothing wrong with a GM finding a way to create a better team.

LEBRON

+4 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I don't have a problem with Wade taking a paycut at all, and I'll give a pass to Bosh, but If Lebron does anything other than get something very close to the max then I'll lose respect for him.  He's the best basketball player in the world and in his prime.  He obviously deserves the biggest paycheck in the NBA.

Nobody on the spurs is close to Lebron and they're being paid reasonably close to what the rest of the league would offer.  Besides, the spurs actually draft well and frequently bring in international prospects that they can develop into their system.  The heat just go hunting for known quantity stars to jam into their lineup.  The spurs don't take big enough paycuts to go sign stars that are on the level of Melo or Lowry (players who would also have to take less just to be on the team.)  It has the potential to be a team of nothing but underpaid mercenaries chasing a ring...if that's how you have to go about it then I think it's sad.

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Yes, the Spurs drafted most of their players, but they still took paycuts to keep them together.

LEBRON

+1 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

I'm a Spurs fan so I'm hardly unbiased, but I think it's easier for the average fan to respect what they've done -- put diamond-in-the-rough discoveries and non-lottery picks around Duncan -- than it is to respect the Heat model, which is basically Pat Riley calling up free agents and saying "Wanna live and work in Miami?"

The Heat have a bit of a long term problem, which is that Wade has to get paid eventually -- he's not opting out without an assurance he's going to make the money back in time. But even at a lower annual salary, he's still going to be overpaid, and now Miami is putting off the day of reckoning of cutting ties with him because they won't want to antagonize James. And it's still not clear if all this restructuring is going to prompt a legit star to sign with the Heat, or if they're just going to be able to attract aging ring-chasers.

Did I enjoy seeing Lebron basically reliving his late Cleveland experience in the finals, where he was once again the lone star trying to carry a bunch of mediocrities? Yes, yes I did.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

Killer nuts's picture

You lose respect for a guy who takes a pay cut for the betterment of his team? Seems to me like Lebron can't really win if people take that view. I'd call him selfless if he does that

+7 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Betterment of his team?  They're not even on his team.  He's not 38 year old Duncan taking less so the guys who have have already proved themselves in the spurs system can have a little more.  No, he would be essentially saying "I'm insecure that we'll be able to get it done with what we have, here take some of my money and go get more stars."  The best player in the world currently in his prime should not be giving ANYONE a discount.  That's just ridiculous.  I don't respect players who aren't confident that they can earn what they're worth and still compete for championships.  The rest of the league is operating under such an assumption, to deviate is basically looking for a shortcut to collect championships. 

If we could fit the entire olympic roster on one team if they decided to take league minimum, would that be cool?

-2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

By taking less money he would be putting his organization in a better situation to put a more competitive team on the court. He would do that at the expense of his paycheck. If that's not selfless betterment of his team then I think you and I will have to agree to disagree. You're the first person I've come across that is actually arguing that players should be selfish at the expense of their organization. 

If the Olympic team all took minimum contracts then that would be a group of guys agreeing to give up tens of millions of dollars (!) to try and win a championship for themselves and for a city. Yes, that would also be selfless

+5 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.  Thanks for sharing your opinion and I can see how one might view it that way. 

To me though, at some point it stops becoming just a selfless act to help the team and more of a pathetic tactic to ensure that championships are won at any cost.  The NBA has enough problems with parity as it is with about 3-4 more teams than is necessary.  Players taking tiny paychecks to form superteams is not something I hope catches on.

-2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Big time players taking less money to help make the team better has been going on in the NFL and MLB for as long as I can remember. Ask Tom Brady and many other top players. In basketball it is noticed more because there are only 5 players starting a game. It shows that they arent greedy for just the mighty dollar and are a "team" kind of person. Any owner of any professional team would love a leader to do this.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
teddyballgame's picture

No doubt, taking a small paycut to help the team bring in another role player or to keep some guys already on the roster makes sense, but to take something like half of what you're worth on the open market just so that the team can go land more stars in free agency doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not sure we can say that they're "not greedy for the might dollar" either.  Players like Lebron especially realize that they stand to make more money outside of the NBA with endorsements and other deals if they can win consecutive or multiple championships.  Lebron is basically hiding out in the Eastern conference (easy path to finals compared to the West) and recruiting his biggest competition (Melo, Lowry?).  How do you think the rest of the league is going to react to this after a while?  Consolidation of more talent and the creation of superteams?  Is that really what's best for the league?

-2 HS
Gametime's picture

I understand what you're saying, but the NBA & NFL have salary caps that are straight crap. An NBA team can't afford to pay LeBron what he's worth on the open market. I mean he's easily a guy who should be making 35+ million a year in that context.

And on top of that, we see that the whole "super team" thing doesn't always work. Yea the Heat made it to 4 straight Finals, but the lost two (and arguably could've lost three.) The NBA is constant at exposing "super teams" when basketball is played at it's finest in a true team essence. We saw the Spurs & the Mavs prove that against Miami. We saw the Pistons prove that against the Lakers with Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone, & Gary Payton. 

IMHO, the salary cap hasn't raised enough. Teams should be rewarded for their drafting and their players excelling and able to keep them longer. I feel the same about the NFL.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

You are making no sense. You would lose respect for a guy who is willing to take less money than he is worth to help his team get better? That's the type of guy I would respect more. I lose respect for a guy like Kobe who is no longer in his prime but signed a contract for 30 mil a year. He is taking up almost half of the Lakers salary cap.

+6 HS

Why does the guy need to sign the biggest contract to have your respect? He made 5x in endorsements last year - including 32 million from Beats alone...It's clearly not about the money - it's about building a championship team. The bottom line is you will hate Lebron regardless of his choice. EVERYBODY in EVERY major sport restructures their contracts to sign more talent - ie Tom Brady - Peyton Manning - it's how it's done.

+5 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

People willingly taking less money in pursuit of a title is sad? I don't follow that line of thinking. I'd be interested in why you feel that way.

+5 HS
Osurrt's picture

So think about it...they could all opt out and take less money to stay and sign Carmelo Anthony. While completely legal in the NBA, it would be consider collusion if the owners did something similar. I am shocked that the union allows it to happen (obviously a weaker union than other major sports) as it costs them millions.

so the question is......if players manipulate the salary cap rules and structures, at what point do the fans walk away from a competitive standpoint.

-2 HS
deskpoet's picture

I already walked away. The Decision was my Waterloo with pro hoops. Basketball, for me, was the last of the Big Three to fall, and, yeah, that's because I came from that area, and was indulging in a little front-running with LeBron leading the way.... 

It's pretty clear the whole of professional sports (PARTICULARLY basketball) is driven by money and ego. Why give in to that? Don't we see enough of that EVERY day in EVERY other aspect of our lives (work, politics, family)? Shouldn't sports--which, let's be honest, is a trivial endeavor meant to fill the times between when we're serious about ourselves--be an escape from that? Isn't it supposed to be fun?

-3 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

All 3 opting out and if they go back to the Heat will take a big paycut, but hearing if that does happen LeBron will be the highest paid of the three (the first time in his career where he's been the highest paid player on his own team- shocking considering the 4 mvps, 2 finals mvps and only 29). So we'll see what happens. I'm not a heat fan just a LeBron fan so if he does go back I'm hoping the Heat can sign a player like Ariza and potentially a Kyle Lowry.

+4 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

Both Ariza & Lowery are players that have already been mentioned that the Heat might go after. As far as LeBron returning to the Cavs...there's a better chance of the Browns winning the Super Bowl this year than LeBron returning I think.

bleedscarlet's picture

Lebron and Wade stay in Miami, Bosh is gone and Miami has all the room they need to go after Melo. If I'm right, I'm buying a lottery ticket cuz I know hardly anything about the NBA...

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

BassDropper's picture

Bosh wouldn't have opted out if he knew Miami wouldn't resign him. I think Bosh wants to be in Miami more so than Wade and Bron.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS

Agreed - this team does not win with a re-signed Wade - you take James & Bosh & add a Melo plus a tyson Chandler & they are back - plus Melo actually has a perimeter game - Wades' game is over.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

tyson Chandler

What? Chandler is with Dallas now.

Wades' game is over.

During the ECF, people were saying Wade was back. Now his game is over. lol

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS

so take a postion rather than jousting (which is what you do best) - is it over or not? Im not "people: - ive said all along he is done - and chandler signed after this post

Im not "people: - ive said all along he is done

He's done because he had bad series...

and chandler signed after this post

Your post was on the 30th. Chandler was traded to Dallas on the 25th.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

exnwohiobuckfan's picture

If I was Pat Riley, I woudn't touch Melo with a 10 foot pole. That guy is a franchise and locker room killer

How did he kill the Knicks?

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I think Melo is a "me" and a "Stat" guy. I also think Wade is about done. If James was smart him and Bosh would find somewhere else to go because I just couldnt see it all working out in Miami. James to Chicago would be interesting. Love and James coming to Cleveland would make things interesting.If those 4 guys try to squeeze themselves into Heat  jerseys I dont think they will ever win another title.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If all 3 opt back in and they do get another A + star - does anyone know when their next Championship Celebration will be? I thought they were supposed to win 9 in a row or is that still a possibility?

irishfury's picture

In pro sports I'm a Lions/Pistons fans.  I grew up going to OSU games with my grandmother who taught a bunch of players and I was raised by her we moved to Michigan.  So for sports my fandom is.  

College Football/Basketball OSU

NFL:Lions

NBA Pistons

MLB Red

Now as an outside if I was a Cavs fan I would never forgive Lebron.  

You guys should be happy about your future.  Wiggins is going to be a very very special player.

+1 HS
BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+2 HS
USMC11917's picture

For a moment I thought he was holding a straight razor and I was very intrigued! (/joking of course)

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Lebron is now asking for max money and won't take anything less. Going to be challenging for the Heat to get a free agent or two that they need to make their team better.