Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Round of 16, Day Two

11W Staff's picture
June 29, 2014 at 11:45am
63 Comments
EL TRI

So torn. Don't know whether to cheer for Mexico because of CONCACAF or to cheer for the Netherlands because of Mexico.

Time (ET) Matchup TV Internet
Noon Netherlands (3-0-0) vs. Mexico (2-0-1) ESPN WatchESPN
4 p.m. Costa Rica (2-0-1) vs. Greece (1-1-1) ESPN WatchESPN
jeremytwoface's picture

I know that a lot of people are cheering for Mexico because of CONCACAF and all, but God I hate them.... I hope they get destroyed.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Brutus's picture

Don't follow futbol outside of the World Cup. I just assumed I'd root for Mexico because they are a North American team. That and the Netherlands is the stronger team so best to get them out now.  Why do we hate Mexico? Is it because they are a regional rival or something else?

cplunk's picture

Mexico is and always has been our TSUN in soccer.

After 9-11 there was a game where Mexican fans chanted "Osama" at us. There was another game where their players shielded the ref while another player kneed Alexi Lalas in the groin.

Never root for Mexico, ever. 

+2 HS
Brutus's picture

The more you know.

Well then f-'em.  Not sorry Netherlands crushed their spirits in extra time. Cue Nelson laugh.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Oh man... De Jong has to come out early

jeremytwoface's picture

Mexico is dominating this game.... I'm thoroughly confused.

jeremytwoface's picture

Man these soccer games have too many commercials.........

Seattle Linga's picture

Good idea with the water break - don't need people dying on us now.

oh and for whats it's worth Netherlands 100%

703Buckeye's picture

This ESPN announce team is AWFUL. Offering way too much personal opinion as opposed to just calling the game.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I hear ya 703 - I watch it on the CBC - out of Canada

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I agree... I'm actually not looking forward to a goal either because it will be a "goooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll"......

I can't stand that.

Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

It could be worse, at least this years World Cup doesn't have those annoying Vu Vu Zella's.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Should have been a PK....

Seattle Linga's picture

For as horrendous as Mexico played prior to the WC they sure have put that all behind them and are really playing well when it counts.

+2 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

This is how you dominate the first 45 minutes. Take notes everyone and all this hate for Mexico I like it I mean look at them playing like a bunch of studs out there. This team is playing like a top 8 team in the world. 

-1 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Cantalo curleros!!!!!!!'

goooooooooooooooooool hijos de su puta madre!!!!!!!!!!!!

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Finally the dam has been broken - GREAT SHOT

Deadly Nuts's picture

Talk about getting fucked by the ref... I was really starting to like Robben up until that dive.

LEBRON

Deadly Nuts's picture

It was a penalty but I doubt it would of been called if Robben hadn't dove.

LEBRON

Wilkins78's picture

Is that an argument for or against this type of "diving?"

jeremytwoface's picture

It was a penalty but I doubt it would of been called if Robben hadn't dove.

Saying it was a penalty AND saying he dove doesn't really make sense.

I think he embellished the contact, but there was definitely a foul. Could he have stayed on his feet if he didn't flail in the air like an idiot? Probably.. But it was still a foul.

703Buckeye's picture

Bye bye, Mexico.

bucknutfern4's picture

Can't wait till the US get bucked out of this tourney I cant wait for Belgium to smash em. So that you can go back to being completely unaware of this sport and wait til 2018 to think you're a "FAN" of futbol. THIS COMMENT IS SOLELY FOR 703 not to offend everyone.

-10 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

I'm not lying 90 % of all people here will stop watching this sport after July.

-10 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Completely wrong.

LEBRON

+2 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Completely right you might be in that 10% but you know it's true. But that's because I the plethora of sports that are offered here.

-10 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

It must suck knowing that a country were only "10%" of people care about SOCCER is better than a country where almost everyone does.

LEBRON

+5 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Wow round of applause for the guy who turned a "soccer" convo to something completely different. hahahaha and the sad thing is you probably feel great about that comment.

-10 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

if you feel like th US is better than Mexico at "soccer" than damnn you are sad and obviously should stick to your domestic sporting events. 

-10 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Take a look at the CONCACAF standings buddy... USA was number one and Mexico was number four. Quit being a dipshit.

LEBRON

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

if you feel like th US is better than Mexico at "soccer" than damnn you are sad and obviously should stick to your domestic sporting events. 

You do realize that Mexico wouldn't have even been in this World Cup if it weren't for the United States right?

It doesn't take a genius or even a fan of soccer to look at this chart and realize that the USA is better than Mexico, does it?   

Country MP W L D GF GA GD PTS
USA 10 7 2 1 15 8 +7 22
Costa Rica 10 5 2 3 13 7 +6 18
Honduras 10 4 3 3 13 12 +1 15
Mexico 10 2 3 5 7 9 -2 11
Panama 10 1 4 5 10 14 -4 8
Jamaica 10 0 5 5 5 13 -8 5

Seems like you hate soccer.

Meant to quote DN's 10% comment.

Deadly Nuts's picture

Nah, I don't hate soccer. This Mexico fan is saying that, though. He's rambling on about how only 10% of people in the United States care about soccer even though the USA is better than Mexico.

LEBRON

That's cool, wasn't sure what your take on soccer was. Although I'd think more than 10 % of Americans are currently soccer fans. Soccer's popularity is slowly growing in the U.S., it's just taking some time.

Hovenaut's picture

Well, I'll agree 90% of 11W's like myself will turn their attention to another important sport...

(Hope you're here come late August)

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

703Buckeye's picture

bucknutfern4: Sorry I'm not a "fan," like you but I'm not sorry for my comment. I do not like Mexico and their rude fans; you just go to prove my point.

+3 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Mexico fan rude????? Yes of course some fans are rude it's futbol dude get real. Don Act like the US fans are a class act bro thry are just as bad. 

-8 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Can't wait till the US get bucked out of this tourney I cant wait for Belgium to smash em. So that you can go back to being completely unaware of this sport and wait til 2018 to think you're a "FAN" of futbol. 

Don't deny it.

LEBRON

+1 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Who said I was denying it??? You need to read it over again.

-8 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Shout out to my 2nd homeland Mexico for showing the world that they are still deserve the respect at a global level. They deserved much more to be honest but this is futbol and this is just how things go. Not many teams can battle like this team can. This team played like a top8 team for 3 games and 88 minutes of the fourth. 6 final 16 in a row only Germany and Brazil can say the same. Love my land love my people and the joy this team brought this country is incredible. Till 2018 my friends we will surely be ready to cheer you on once more. 

-10 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

They deserved much more to be honest

Mexico didn't even deserve to be in the World Cup.

LEBRON

+6 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Yet when we got here we clearly outplayed the team that gave us entrance into the tourney. Get real doesn't matter how you get here as long as you produce and guess what 6 final 16s in a row. All the hate is hilarious clearly inferiority complex is at play

-7 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I'm not hating, i'm telling it how it is.

If it wasn't for a miracle in the final minutes of the USA-Panama game, you would still be in your hole.

LEBRON

+2 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

That's all you people ever talk about and can talk about and it's funny to all Of us because we are aware that you all know that once Mexico got in they were gonna perform well AS USUAL. Be more respected at a global level AS USUAL.

-6 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Mexico out in the round of 16 AS USUAL.

+6 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Nice to see US make it this far again  and two WC's in a row, wow the WORLD is shocked. Atleast other countries recognize Mexico as a football Power. 

-6 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Mexico isn't a soccer power and neither is the US. I'm pretty sure real powers like Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and England do not consider teams like Mexico to be a power either.

+2 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Lets see Olympic gold medal youth WC's championships...... Yea those countries do. they know that once Mexico gets into a WC they are not a team taken lightly. 

-5 HS
703Buckeye's picture

No team is ever a team to be taken lightly, I never claimed Mexico to be a bad or laughable team. However, Mexico's lack of success on the truly major stages precludes them from being considered a true power.

+1 HS
JCOOP22's picture

The group that mexico was in was absolutely laughable compared to the united states. I would hope that mexico could get to the knockout stages. I actually think people are more shocked that the US was capable of getting through than making the round of the 16. The US has done that times before but not through a group like that.

KBonay's picture

Wow. Just wow. 

Makes US loss look tolerable. 

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Ticos. Pura Vida. 

Go Costa Rica!

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

Greatest place/people  I have ever visited. 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Sigh.... This game is pretty boring.

Hopefully it opens up a bit in the second half.

rdubs's picture

Exciting enough for you?

jeremytwoface's picture

It is now...

I was just about to say that my wish was granted.

Dweinz's picture
+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This might actually go on forever....

jeremytwoface's picture

Spoke too soon.....