Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Somehow Passed 11W Vetting Process

Habu71's picture
June 27, 2014 at 3:41pm
36 Comments

Greetings all, and go bucks! I've been essentially an 11W voyeur for approximately two years. I'm finally stepping out from the shadows and joining in. (This should in no way be associated with the recently seen half naked Andy Vance). As an introduction, I'd like to share a few of my favorite moments from OSU games I've attended.

Traveling with the team on the charter to Illinois, and witnessing a late arriving (RB) Derek Combs hold up the entire convoy from the hotel to the stadium. Then taking over an Illinois local radio station's tailgating tent because the guy at the entrance was an OSU grad letting Buckeye fans in secretly without proper credentials.

Watching the most underrated starting 5 in NCAA history (Kelvin Ransey, Carter Scott, Clark Kellogg, Jim Smith and Herb Williams) put on amazing b-ball displays in St. John's.

Out numbering the UW fans in Seattle, and shamefully trying to explain (and distance myself from) the white cowboy gear clad Buckiguy to the UW fans.

Watching Scoonie Penn line it up, then dunk just before halftime against Iowa in the Schott. A sight that apparently only I saw take place.

Doing the O H I O stadium cheer in Cal stadium last season and listening to them whine about our band being too loud. Also taking over every dining establishment in the city of Berkeley.

Jim Jackson feeds Treg Lee for the game winner vs Indiana.

Beating *ichigan to earn a trip to the 2002 national championship, and refusing the opportunity to be maced and taze'd simultaneously by not going on the field to join the celebration.

Watching Bobby Olive catch a last second TD pass in the Shoe to beat LSU after many Buckeye "faithful" had left.

I look forward to joining in the creativity, excellence and occasional gif party that 11W has added to my OSU fan-dom. I may not be as active as others, but trust I'll be watching.

GO BUCKS!

BroJim's picture

Awesome stories, thanks for sharing. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

A well-traveled Buckeye to boot. Welcome!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for the memories Habs - keep them coming just like that and you'll make it to the Premium Lounge someday!!

+4 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'll do my best to share some, while others may bring down the wrath of Steensen (my apologies if misspelled) and should best be kept under wraps. As for the Premium Lounge, I can only hope.

+10 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Better than drinking from Lord Stanley

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Premium lounge?  At 10,000 helmet stickers, you'll not only watch that game winner from Frey to Olive, you might even get to call the play. 

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Bucket List revision

Get to 10,000 Helmet Stickers

Vacation in Bora Bora

Jump out of perfectly good plane (Parachute)

Witness OSU winning NCAA B-ball championship

Seattle Linga's picture

Well played Knar - don't forget the Limo ride to the games once you hit the 10K mark

Buck Commander's picture

Welcome to the only sports site on planet earth that matters.....11w !!!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

New members > old members

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

-3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Welcome, welcome my Child.  Please drink of the mead and experience the scenery.  All is Well and Good!

Must have been tough to lurk for 2 years when I am sure you had things to say.  Looking forward to reading some of those in the future Habu!

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well said Go1 - keeping the old yapper closed for over 2 years is beyond me!

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt.

+9 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

But think of the lost pearls of wisdom you may have imparted over the years... alas.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You know Habu might be onto something here - sometimes I read through posts and LOL for 10-15 minutes before fingers start typing. I sometimes think that we are all so opinionated and we just can't hold back!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I agree big C, sometimes though I only hold back because some people can't just discuss something, without vitriol or lingering excess of DVs and I think that I don't have the time or inclination to keep arguing a passing point or well veiled joke that isn't understood.  Thankfully, that is a small minority on this site - and usually because the troll traps don't get 'em all. ;-P

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Welcome Habu. UV for the Bobby Olive grab - I'd nearly forgotten that one (a win over the SEC).

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I've never been able to see a video of the game anywhere - any ideas if it's available

There was a 2 minutes video posted on here about a year ago when we were remembering certain games but can't locate it for the life of me.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I haven't checked them out yet for authenticity, as being an 11W rookie I feel it important to do before adding links. However there appear to be two clips on youtube titled- 1988 LSU AT OHIO STATE 1ST HALF and 2ND HALF. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I'll have to check it out - been awhile since I have checked.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks Hov, I attended that game with my then fiancé who had recently moved here from Baton Rouge. Her gloating moments before prompted my celebratory dance and finger pointing shouts of "in your face". All of which now seem uncalled for, but warranted at the time. 

That brief celebration was possibly only eclipsed by the ones that took place following:

Holy Buckeye

End of the 2002 National Championship game

The invisible strip of (I think) Eric Barkley at the end of our defeat of St. John's to make it to the Final Four (that now doesn't exist). 

Eric Davis taking Dave Stewart deep in game 1 of the 1990 World Series. 

+4 HS
DoubleB's picture

ED going YARD in 1990 was beautiful. I was only 9 years old and remember it like yesterday.

Because I couldn't go for 3.
-Woody

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Glad I could jar that memory for you. I was fortunate enough to attend the 1st NLCS game against the Pirates that year. They were loaded, Bonds, Bonilla, VanSlyke and a forgotten superb 2nd baseman named Jose Lind. Sadly the thing I remember most about it was how long it took me to park at a parking lot that I frequented in those days. Plus the fact that the normal $5 fee was upped to $20. After sitting in line for what seemed an eternity, I dare not try to find another lot. When I asked the attendant "why so much?" His response was something like "welcome to playoff baseball? Welcome indeed. 

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks Renegade, when I lose the training wheels and am able to up vote there'll be one coming your way.

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Helping you out here toward 100. 

Habu71's picture

Promised an UV as soon as I was able. Thanks again for the assist!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for backing up what you said early 71 - you're a man of your word

Knarcisi's picture

A lot of the same memories. I'd put you a few years older than me ... Maybe 45. 

Habu71's picture

You're close Knarcisi, I predate you by half a decade. Never the less, we came around at the perfect time to see some of the best there ever were. 

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

If you're 50, you have me by a full decade. 10 more years to the wiser, I'm sure. 

CALPOPPY's picture

I appreciate your avatar...the most incredible plane ever made.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks Calpoppy, my screen name is also a reference to it. It is by far our most incredible aviation technology, unless you believe in the existence of it's younger sister Aurora. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

The F-19 Aurora Lockheed hypersonic scramjet? Thought I heard one overhead just the other day.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

You made me look!

allinosu's picture

Welcome, somebody got me on the St. John's thing and it's like tag so your it.