Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

To Trade or Not To Trade

ITWASME's picture
June 26, 2014 at 10:50am
26 Comments

What do you guys think? Should the Cavs trade the number 1 pick for 2 lottery picks in this loaded draft or keep it and take Wiggins or Parker? I've been flip flopping but at the moment I say keep it and take Wiggins

RedStorm45's picture

If the Jazz are offering the kitchen sink (5th pick, 23rd pick this year + Derrick Favors + etc. etc.) - I would consider trading it.  This team isn't just one or two players away.

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

Keep the pick and take Wiggins. A team like the Cavs don't get very many opportunities to acquire potential superstars.

Edit: I was referring more to signing superstars . None of those drafts had any potential superstars on the board for the Cavs to pick except maybe Irving.

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

2014, 2013, 2011, 2003. A lot more odds than any other team in the past few years.I understand this years draft has a lot more talent and last years was lacking, but keeping the talent an issue.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Well, the Cavs have and have failed on it multiple times. They've had the #1 pick 3 of the last 4 years along with the #4 pick twice. So not including this year, they've had 4 top 4 picks in 3 years and hit on only 1 of them (so far). I'd say it's not so much that "a team like the Cavs don't get very many opportunities to acquire potential superstars" but more like not many teams get repeated chances to atone for previously squandered opportunities.

Buckeyeneer's picture

Take Wiggins. Enter the Lebron sweepstakes.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Take Wiggins. Kyrie, Wiggins and Lebron would be crazy

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Since we are living in fantasy land, so would Rose, Mello, Wade, Bosh, and James coached by Phil Jackson.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

-1 HS
AJBor41's picture

Since 2 of those 3 are a given, if they so choose, I'm going out on a limb and assuming you don't think LeBron will be back in Cleveland.  Do you have actual knowledge that the "experts" do not?

+2 HS

Drafting Wiggins in a given too? Maybe we  have the same experts.

I don't think LeBron will go back to Cleveland-I wouldn't. No expert knowledge, just my opinion. His opting out of his Heat contract doesn't mean he won't be back in Miami. Its wishful thinking that he lands back on the lake (not named Michigan). I do want to see the jersey burners reaction. My guess is it would be something of the 'open arms' variety-proving yet again, no city's fans are more intelligent and forward thinking than those of the great city of Cleveland.

-1 HS
AJBor41's picture

"if they so choose" - I meant that with the 1st pick, they can have Wiggins if they want him.

+1 HS

Fair enough. My apologies.

-1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I agree James is not coming back.

That said, cheap shot against Cleveland fans was unnecessary.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS

How was it a cheap shot? If LBJ comes back to Cleveland, and the same fans that were burning his jerseys welcome him back with open arms, they will show themselves to be not-forward-thinking folks. Its like bashing your buddies ex the second they  break up-take a second and think "what happens if they get back together". The same folks that bash LeBron for everything he does sure as hell better continue to bash him if he comes back-otherwise they are hypocrites.

-1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

People who burned jerseys are not the only fans in Cleveland.  Not all fans will welcome him back.  Broad brushing an entire fan base is never a good thing.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Says you.

-2 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Not exactly that far fetched, buddy

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

Well...now this is awkward...

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

The only way I trade this pick is if the cavs are still busting a collective nut over Joel Embid. If he's your guy, I might think about 4, 12, and Afflalo. But thats the only trade I'd do (Unless the Sixers went 3, young, AND 10). Otherwise, you stop thinking you're smarter than everyone else in the league and just take the best player. Its so simple, and so perfect to just add Wiggins to the team and thank the basketball Gods. It actually makes SO much sense that there is no way the cavs do it. They probably do the orlando deal and then flip 4 and 12 for another average to solid 28-year-old veteran that wont make us any better, and we'll be the laughing stock of the NBA as we're the only team possibly dumb enough to leave this stacked draft in a worse place than we started it... and then I'll go give a shotgun a blow job...

+3 HS
Gametime's picture

^THIS^ except the shotgun bj part...

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

HattanBuck85's picture

If you can't trade for Kevin Love then keep the pick. I like Parker more than Wiggins but I think Wiggins would fit better with Kyrie Irving. Hopefully then, the Cavs can trade Waitors and pick up something in return. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Take one of the superstar prospects. Would be foolish to trade for mediocre role players and trash picks.

TheBadOwl's picture

Favors + 5th + Burks/23rd + potential unprotected 2015 pick = best deal IMO.

Favors hasn't lived up to the hype yet, but he's only 22 and he was on a bad team playing a role that's not really where he should be. He's a potential franchise center. Burks is a great bench piece who brings speed and shooting. And of course, the 5th pick is basically either Embiid, Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh.

They have a great coach now, and if you add Favors to that team, with Burks being a great bench piece, that team would be insane potential-wise. Dump some contracts, re-sign Deng and try to bring in Lebron, and they'd maybe be title favorites.

Embiid is the best prospect in the draft. He's been hurt, maybe he's injury prone, but if you have Favors you can afford to take the risk on Embiid.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS

That's the best deal, but I wouldn't do it. Take the potential superstar whenever you get the opportunity. Quality over quantity.

+1 HS

Trade Waiters to the Magic for the #4 pick. Probably a steal for Orlando, but it'd be a fair trade.

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Keep the sure thing and Take Wiggins and Wish Lebron a happy retirement!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

IMO - Wiggins will be a better player in the future - Parker is more NBA ready now - Keep the pick

+1 HS