Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

ESPN being ESPN (NBA Draft)

MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture
June 26, 2014 at 10:41am
38 Comments

I was watching an ESPN NBA Draft Preview special on ESPNU last night. They had a little feature called the "Anatomy of point guard", where they'd combine different features from different point guards to create a perfect point guard.

I see a glaring ommision...one Aaron Craft. I think a lot of people would agree on this --- OSU fans, non-OSU fans, the B1G, opposing coaches, fans, etc.. When it came to the "Defense" trait, they didn't even mention Craft. Now that's just stupid.

How. In. The. Hell. Do. You. Leave. Craft. Off. When. It. Comes. To. Defense.

Marcus Smart is a great player, and certainly no slouch as a defender, but Aaron freakin Craft is one of THE best on-the-ball defenders in the HISTORY of college basketball. He's certainly the best o.t.b.d. I've seen in my three decades of watching NCAA hoops, and definitely one the best overall defenders I've ever watched as well.

It was also amusing that they selected Marcus Smart for "leadership" too.

C'mon man.

//i.imgur.com/rhmUOU4.jpg[/IMG]

Buckeye Knight's picture

Stopped watching them years ago, unless a game is on.  Watching their talking heads is unbearable.

+7 HS
osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
gumtape's picture

Great kid, outstanding college player, will make a living playing basketball, but I just don't see the NBA for him. I hope he proves me wrong, but it is an NBA draft show. Not worth getting worked up over IMO.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+8 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

YEAH, HOW DARE THEY EXCLUDE A GUY WHO'S PROBABLY NOT GETTING DRAFTED IN A SPECIAL ABOUT WHAT THE NBA SCOUTS WANT IN A POINT GUARD

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
9Route's picture

I'd draft Craft in the second round.

I'm just happy to be here

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

The question for you, 9Route, is where you would draft Cait Craft. We already know what you think of brunettes.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+3 HS
9Route's picture

Heyoooo!

Great query, Gumtape...she's a 1st round cutie in my book, for sure.

And, she's legal. Bonus!!!

Back in high school, some of the boys & I from the football team, we'd get together and do a Top 50 Hottest Girls list. It wasn't quite like the prom drafts you hear about nowadays, but still a grand ole time. It's a good practice to help develop self-confidence for the young ladies out there. I highly recommend passing on this tradition to future generations.

I'm just happy to be here

+3 HS

Wuuuttttttt, damn that was random

Hovenaut's picture

I'm good with that.

And if not, a craft draft will do...(Premium Lounge tab activate)

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

How are there no categories, for size, athleticism, and scoring ability?

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Marcus Smart, Marcus Smart, and Marcus Smart.

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

Size and athleticism is Dante Exum. 

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I was enjoying the lack of "ESPN hates us" threads this offseason. 

+9 HS
AndyVance's picture

Sadly, all good things must come to an end. Sigh.

Earle's picture

Not to knock Craft, but perhaps they were focusing on players likely to be drafted.  All those other guys could go in round one.

Italics are for emphasis.

+14 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Honestly, it's because the discussion is probably aimed at the guys who are likely to get drafted. I love Aaron Craft as a college point guard, but he's not currently draftable.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Ha, Kirk likes em that big ...

+2 HS
Smanpoint10's picture

Sportscenter had a tweet that said the SEC had now won a national championship in football, mens basketball, or baseball in 9 straight years. I couldn't help but to bust out laughing in class when I read it. It helps when you have 7 in a row in ONE sport

-2 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

I hate ESPN, but are you saying that's not an impressive run?  I believe it's a total of 14 championships in those 9 years.

The B1G has zero in that timeframe obviously.  Thanks.  Now I'm depressed.

+2 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Aaron should have been the shooting ability representative, obviously. 

BrewstersMillions's picture

So the gist of this thread is that your bias isn't being acknowledged by ESPN so that makes them biased.

Got it.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+5 HS

No bias necessary. I'm not calling ESPN out for bias, but rather stupidity.

By the way Brewster...please do name me a better defender than Aaron Craft last year, let alone the last few years.

That isn't the discussion. It is clear the names in the discussion are guys with futures in the NBA. Craft doesn't have one, so even if he is the greatest defender ever, if they are talking about NBA point guards, they are piecing it together with parts of actual NBA prospects. So there is anger that Craft's lone attribute wasn't mentioned. So its "I'm made because I disagree with omitting Aaron Craft".

Also its worth noting that defending collegiate players and defending NBA players are two different things. Name me a more prolific college football player than Tim Tebow. Kind of hard to. Doing one thing amazing at one level doesn't mean you can do it (or anything else) well at the next. I'll go with the trained professionals who don't think Craft is an NBA player. I'll refrain from being an over emotional Buckeye fan who thinks everything that ever stepped foot in Columbus is the greatest at what they did. Its ok to be a homer, just don't get mad when someone disagrees.

Did you watch this show? No, you didn't, Mr. Know It All. So, it's not clear.

I watched the show, and it was about draft-eligible point guards. Craft is definitely on that list, and even projected as a 2nd round pick.

How am I biased by mentioning a multiple time award winner, B1G defensive player of the year, etc. It's not just OSU fans who know Craft is the best defender in America. If you couldn't see this when you watch games...then you clearly don't know basketball. His defense is textbook. His hip quickness and flexibility are elite. He is indeed NBA-caliber.

I'm not "mad" that someone disagrees, I think you're just mad I proved you wrong.

By the way, I'm stiiillllll waiting for your answer...name a better defender than Aaron Craft the past few years? (I won't hold my breath.)

-2 HS

Doing it at the collegiate level means nothing to me. So keep holding your breath. I don't need to answer because he has no NBA future. He can't play point guard at the next level, he can't score at the next level. He won't get valuable minutes in the NBA regardless of how well he defended in college-which again, is the level below the pros where players are smaller, lighter, slower, and otherwise not as good. I'm assuming you have Dennis Rodman and Bruce Bowen loaded up in the ol hopper-but I'll name a better defender than Craft when you name another defense only guard in the NBA who saw any valuable minutes. The NBA is a big man's game, so Craft's only value will be on ball defense-no matter how well you do that at the collegiate level, NBA teams will not have %50 of their back court be offensively inept. So since Craft isn't an NBA caliber player, (notice I said PLAYER and not DEFENDER) there is no need to have his name brought up in the ESPN piece nor is there any reason that you should have been mad at that snub. Just accept the fact that the dude was a great college player-who like so many other great college athletes-will not be making an impact at the next level.

I'm not disputing Aaron Craft's ability as a defender, it was a well discussed topic during his four years at OSU but much like Johnny Simon, people fall in love with great college\marginal pro talent types because they went to Ohio State and then get mad when said marginal pro talent isn't being treated as a top level pick. Say it to yourself out loud-"I am getting mad that Aaron Craft's lone skill did not get mentioned by ESPN, it has to be bias!". That is what you are saying.

+2 HS
danbrown7665's picture

except when he got beat off the dribble by Dayton on the final play of his career....

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

ESPIN continues to embarrass themselves day in and day out.

+3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Piling on a bit much? So now ESPN's NBA analysts are part of the anti-OSU conspiracy? Isn't it possible that in their opinion AC wasn't the best NBA ready defender? Nah, it easier to just complain everytime someone from Columbus isn't rated the best at what they do.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I'm not piling on I just think their reporting is overrated and their agenda to have us believe everything that comes out of their broadcast is laughable at best. It's getting worse every time I turn it on. 

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I'm not saying I agree with SL, but I did laugh when I saw you defending ESPiN again.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Was it funny when two other posters also "defended" ESPN? Believe it or not there are more people like me that are getting tired of the constant conspiracy talk. 

And for the 100000000th time, if you can't tell the difference between defending something and pointing out blatant confirmation bias then there are bigger issues at play. 

-1 HS

Was it funny when two other posters also "defended" ESPN?

Do those same posters have a history of doing it?

Believe it or not

I don't.

there are bigger issues at play.

Like you not admitting that you're Kirk Herbstreit?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Do those same posters have a history of doing it?

Brewster and Badowl??? Actually yes they do.

I don't

Shocking

Like you not admitting that you're Kirk Herbstreit?

As much time as you spend posting on here you'd think you'd have some better, more original, less juvenile material.

-2 HS

Examples would be lovely.

As much time as you spend posting on here you'd think you'd have some better, more original, less juvenile material.

And as long as you've been here, you'd think you'd finally take that stick out of your butt. I guess that's expecting too much.

Jack Fu's picture

Every "ESPN hates us" thread is OSU fans complaining that ESPN is biased because they don't necessarily agree with the OSU fans' biases.

You want to know why they used those specific players? Because they had a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting drafted last night. Those four guys listed in that graphic went 6th, 10th, 18th, and 24th. Craft's name was not heard all night. Cincy and Brewster are 100% right: the constant ESPN bashing is pointless, stupid confirmation bias: for some reason OSU fans want to believe that ESPN is against them, so every single time anyone at ESPN doesn't say OSU is the best at something, that gets trotted out as more "evidence" of ESPN's bias and this endless feedback loop of stupidity keeps feeding itself. It's old, tired, stupid, and, worst yet most amusingly of all, false.

-1 HS