Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

How long SHOULD Luis Suarez be suspended??

jeremytwoface's picture
June 25, 2014 at 9:11am
40 Comments

I know there was some discussion on this in the World Cup Open Thread yesterday, but I was wondering what everyone thought about it...

If you haven't heard, Suarez bit an opposing player in a World Cup match yesterday. Now normally, I would say this is a couple match ban at most, but this is his THIRD time (3rd!!!!!) doing this. Once in 2010, another last year and now this....

Ouch
Yikes

Gross

Taylor Twellman said last night that he should be banned for life. Now that won't happen. If you know anything about FIFA, you know that they suck at making logical decisions. If they don't ban him for at least a year, I will be disappointed.

What say you, 11W friends?

KB3RG's picture

Rest of the World Cup for sure. As for following that, my guess he will get a possible 4 game suspension for the Premier League

+1 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

Why ban him? Just make him get dentures and not allow him to play with his "teeth."

+3 HS
KB3RG's picture

or why not make him wear this while playing? 

+11 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+6 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

Give him the Lifetime Achievement Banhammer!  Strike one, shame on you, Strike two Shame on me, Strike three shame on FIFA...

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

As if anyone actually thought FIFA was a finely tuned organization to begin with.  I'm surprised they even suspended him.  I'm sure they will retract that once some money rolls in.

buckeyestu's picture

5 year ban, and the next bite should be a permanent ban.

BucksfanXC's picture

He's 27. You ban him for five years you might as well ban him for life cuz a 32 yr old isn't coming back to the level he's at right now.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

TheBadOwl's picture

He means internationally, meaning that he'd be banned from this WC, the 2018 WC, and any other international competitions. He could still play for his club.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

BHT's picture

You said it yourself: it won't happen, but I would like to see him banned for life. Biting three different players three different times means that you have a problem. I don't care how good you are, but you don't go around biting players. Realisticly, I see the rest of the world cup, but then again, it's FIFA. I would not be surprised if FIFA overlooks this or gives him a one game ban. Chiellini said it himself: FIFA want their stars to play in the biggest tournament. Suarez will play if they get past the quarterfinals.

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

Agreed. I don't know much about soccer but things like that are intolerable in any sport. Especially when it's your third offense. 

Buck-I4Life

BroJim's picture

Did anyone else think of WNCI's "I bit his ear"? A classic parody from years ago.

I season my simple food with hunger

mh277907's picture

He got 7 games for the first one. 10 games for the second. After the second one he expressed his displeasure for the ruling and thought he should have only gotten 3 games. And now he is denying that he even bit the guy this time around. A 2 year ban from the sport will probably teach him what he should have learned when he was 3.

buckeyebobcat

+6 HS
Northbrook's picture

I read somewhere 2 years is the max they can suspend him. He should get the max.

+6 HS
Buckabroad's picture

Three strikes, you're out ... permanently. This man belongs in a psychiatric ward in any case!

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

Squirrel Master's picture

Team Edward, no. Team Suarez!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+10 HS
osu07asu10's picture

He deserves to sit but so does Chiellini for his exaggerated life or death theatrics on a bite that didn't even break the skin...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

True that Chiellini exaggerated it, but Suarez also acted like Chiellini's shoulder shot him in the face.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Also true, but Chiellini did at least deliver a grazing blow...and the shoulder isn't the meatiest part of the body. I'm sure those chompers hit some bone and felt it!

BucksfanXC's picture

You are on international television watched by millions all over the world. Do you think someone wouldn't see that you bit a guy? You've got caught before, not once but TWICE! You are clearly not sane or not smart or neither.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Gotta be for the year. I think Uruguay should act, even though they won't, and kick him off the national team permanently. Also, I'm not sure the way fines work in this setting, but if possible, fine him too.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

d1145fresh's picture

I'm not sure what FIFA could really do for his 'day' job in the premier league but I think a ban from him playing in international competitions would be possible. He is definitely done for the WC. I could see him being banned from competing in international games with the Uruguayan team in the future.

brandonbauer87's picture

Call me crazy, but I think biting arms will get him way less punishment than biting faces. I think a lifetime ban would be excessive. I'm thinking one year would be ok, maybe less. 

KeithMC33's picture

Well he should definitely be suspended for the rest of the Cup, but beyond that there is no point in suspending him for any National Team games. World Cup qualifying for 2018 doesn't start for a year and the Euro Cup (or whatever it's called now) doesn't start until 2015 or so, so you know Uruguay will have a few friendlies prior to qualifying so they would just put his name on the roster and have him "sit" those games out. It's like a starting pitcher being suspended 3-4 games in MLB, it's a total joke and they will still get their normal turn in the rotation. 

I really hope the FA steps in and suspends him for at least part of the Premier League season. I don't know if there is precedent for that, but it would be a great move on their part. I'm sure they will contend that it's an unfair disadvantage to Liverpool, but something has to be done. 

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I can't take credit for this but...

Those teeth are made for chompin and that's just what they'll do. One of these days those teeth are gonna chomp all over you...

+1 HS
clogan1032's picture

I say FIFA should step up and really address this problem, they should use the same stringent methods the SEC does when considering the ban.  That being said, he is now banned from the first half of the next game, the players decided it, the coach said it was fair and they gave him a stern talking to even pointing a finger at him while doing so.  

All seriousness I would be surprised if FIFA banned him for the remainder of the World Cup.  I wonder if this turns out like Tatgate, approved to play for all matches in World Cup except for maybe 1 (Treated like a red card) and then a year suspension from league play.  I would like to see him suspended for the remainder of the World Cup and a year suspension from league play.  It will be interesting to see how FIFA handles it.

tennbuckeye19's picture

You guys think Suarez is Team Edward or Team Jacob?

+2 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Two year ban would cost him $40M in salary alone. Pretty expensive move.

Edit - $71M if Liverpool goes sues him for breech of contract.

+1 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

Longest possible FIFA sanction is 24 months.  Minimum, he'll get 4 games to ensure he doesn't play again this WC.  I think it goes more toward the 24 month side though given the repeat offender status.  He might get something from the English FA too.  I usually despise Italy for their diving and petulance, but found myself rooting for them yesterday.  I hope Uruguay gets destroyed next round.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I say screw suspensions - let him play, with a special ruling that no yellow or red cards or any other kind of punishment can be given to any opposing player who does something to him.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

And what is it with Italy's team and attracting cheap shot artists?  First the headbutt from that French guy and now this bite.

Class of 2010.

Grayskullsession's picture

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+3 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Edit: Double Post

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

put in a psych ward

Buckeye fan from PA

Groveport Heisman's picture

Biting is worse then spitting in ones face or even sucker punching. If they can review and see a bite mark, which I think they can because his teammate  tried to pull dudes shirt up ,he should be given the absolute maximum penalty allowed. Next time he does it  the opposing player should be allowed to land a free devastating elbow,the kind where not many front teeth remain.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

sox33osu's picture

I would have to say he'll get suspended for the rest of the Cup and probably then some after. However, if I'm a coach of a team that Suarez is playing on, I would basically draw up a contract - if he bites any opposing players, our team plans on accumulating a penalty fee, something to the effect of 85% of his salary. If he doesn't agree to that contract, he sits on the bench. This guy has clearly shown he has no remorse for this, and would very likely do it again, so if he wants a career anymore, this is going to hit him where it hurts.

Seattle Linga's picture

How bout they just remove his teeth

+1 HS