Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

LeBron coming home? So it begins...

AndyVance's picture
June 24, 2014 at 9:58am
116 Comments

LeBron's agent has officially informed the Heat that he's becoming a free agent. From USA Today:

LeBron James' agent, Rich Paul, has informed the Miami Heat of his client's decision to exercise the early termination option on his contract and become a free agent on July 1.

Paul confirmed the decision via text message to USA TODAY Sports. While James may ultimately return to Miami on a new deal, the pressure is now squarely on Heat president Pat Riley to win the recruiting war for James' services again like he did in the summer of 2010. James was set to earn $20.5 million next season on the contract that could have gone through 2016 (player option worth $22.1 million).

LeBron's wife foreshadowed this move with a much-discussed Instagram post earlier in the week, referring to Akron as "home sweet home" and mentioning a countdown. Sources close to the couple told ESPN the message simply referred to the couple's summer vacation plans, to which cynical types like me said, "yeah right."

So what say you, Cavs fans? Is the prodigal son coming home, or is this just like the classic Mel Brooks film Spaceballs II? (A search for more money, in other words...)

FROMTHE18's picture

could be a 'sign' he is coming back to Cleveland…more likely its a move to provide more time/more opportunity to gain the most attention and get the most money as possible. If it were a shorter period of free agency for him, he'd be pressed more to decide in a quicker time frame than he may want to. This decision puts Lebron in complete and utter control with the Heat, the Cavs, and pretty much the rest of the NBA. Im very skeptical he goes back to Cleveland unless he were to get someone like Carmelo on board. He wants a 'for sure' situation similar to what happened for Miami. Will need another major free agent to agree to come to Cleveland for the Cavs to get him IMO. 

NObuck-I-inTEAM's picture

Irving, LeBron, and the number 1 pick in the draft could very well be enough incentive for him to come back.  Add Melo in the mix?  Sounds like icing on the cake.

acBuckeye's picture

Melo is a franchise-wrecker. He'll never win a title.

+10 HS
Curt Heinrichs's picture

Except for at Syracuse. 

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

You are assuming the #1 Pick will be a game-changer…. I think you need a more secure situation than that to get Lebron. 

Earle's picture

Smart move, Andy:  Start a Lebron thread to distract folks from that other thread.  

Now all you need is a uniform thread and you should be in the clear.

+8 HS
AndyVance's picture

I couldn't bring myself to start another Hilliard thread, and a Timmons thread is so 2013...

+11 HS
osu07asu10's picture

You could have went with Earle's favorite...Fire Fickell!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

There was never a hybrid thread entitled "Fire Fickell Because He Didnt Recruit Timmons". Forget the fact that Timmons didnt play D. That would have broke records.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

There was never a hybrid thread entitled "Fire Fickell Because He Didnt Recruit Timmons". Forget the fact that Timmons didnt play D. 

Forgot the icing on the cake...

There was never a hybrid thread entitled "Fire Fickell Because He Didnt Recruit Timmons". Forget the fact that Timmons didnt play D. AND WHY IN GOD'S NAME HAVEN'T WE OFFERED NICK CONNOR!!!

+2 HS
Earle's picture

I think that might have caused the internet to implode.

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

When will ESPN air "The Decision": Part 2?

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+4 HS
Danify's picture

Hahaha. Good one from SportsNation.

+10 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Miami Heat fans have also opted out of being Miami Heat fans

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+10 HS
RedStorm45's picture

I feel bad for both diehard Heat fans.

+21 HS
Scott's picture

Huy Dinh is not impressed.

Class of 2008

OSUmuFAN's picture

Even more, they are such easy targets.

hodge's picture

I'm sure Cowherd's taking this well...

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

He (Cowherd) actually is taking it pretty well... Dan Le Batard on the other hand is probably going all Fred Sanford right now.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Gametime's picture

Well the Cavs have all the ability and cash to do it. Here's the scenario I've worked out.

They currently have $32 million in cap space, in which if LeBron takes a pay cut - say in the range of $12-15 million - that would leave the Cavs with close to $20-17 million left. LeBron talking about hating to see Carmelo lose and talking about playing together wasn't brought up for no reason. IF he could convince Carmelo to come with him to Cleveland at the same rate, he would also have the flexibility to let his family (who are all from New York) stay in NYC as Cleveland is only a 1hr 45min flight from NY.

The Cavs could possibly create more space as well, with Varejao, Hopson, & Gee all having team options worth a total of $15.4 million if those options are dropped (and they should be) that would leave the Cavs with a total potential of $47.4 million with $25-30 million set aside for James & Melo, $4-5 million for whomever the #1 pick is (I think it still should be Embiid), and that leaves $12 million to fill out the rest of the roster (or $16 million if they sign & trade Dion Waiters).

Obviously one of the better free agent signings would be to also pick up Aaron Craft because he'd be one of the few guys who doesn't need the ball in his hands to impact the game. 

So a starting lineup like Kyrie, Craft, LeBron, Melo, & Embiid  wouldn't be out the question. Bring back Andy V, and why the hell not, bring back Mo Williams, then you've got young bigs in Thompson, Zeller, & Bennett, a rim protector in Embiid, knockdown shooters with Kyrie, Melo, & Mo and three guys who can create and score from anywhere on the floor.

Edit: Cavs are also in talks to trade #1 overall to the Sixers for their #3 & #10 picks. If that happens, they could take a number of safer complimentary options including a younger veteran player like Thaddeus Young, Aaron Afflalo, or Derrick Favors, while keeping a top 5 pick. A plethora of options indeed now.

Read this Cavs...DO IT.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Embiid looks like Oden 2.0.

+8 HS
mh277907's picture

The writing is on the wall. With this last injury, I don't think there is any way you take Embiid with the number 1- especially with the other two there. But, we are talking about the Cavs..

buckeyebobcat

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I think the only dream scenario would ultimately be:

LeBron comes back with Melo and both sign in the $16-$18m range. That takes up most cap space.

Resign Spencer Hawes. (I believe we can resign him even going over the cap, putting us in luxury tax)

We package Bennett/Waiters/Thompson (and/or AV) and send them packing for some front court help and cap relief.

Trade #1 to Sixers for #3 and #10. Draft Embiid at #3 (he sits for the year). Draft back court help or more immediate front court help at #10.

Use MLE to sign veteran FA.

Bolt's picture

Thompson's a must go for me. He's already starting to ask for money in the range of $10M/year and his play went straight down the shitter last year. He started off showing signs of improvement but then seemed to dramatically regress. I wish we'd gotten something for Andy before he got hurt during the 2012-13 season because he was playing at an all-star clip before going down...and it's just become an annual tradition with him. He used to have a lot of trade value but the Cavs held on for too long. I'd be thrilled with them keeping Hawes, because I think he's an awesome floor spacer, shooter and passer for a 7 footer. Played with a lot of fire for the Cavs last year...but is a limited athlete as far as what he can provide on D but isn't afraid to mix it up inside. I'd be fine with moving Dion to get rid of another ball stopper and get a more suitable role player or two and draft Wiggins to play the 2. Now you've got 2 elite perimeter defenders in Bron and Wigs who both look athletic enough to guard 1-4 in the league.

All that said, I hope they just take Wiggins and move on from the LeBron talk, lol. He's just going to get everyone's hopes up again.

Fear The Elf's picture

If we want to use the Bird Rights to go over the cap to sign Hawes, his cap hold would prevent us from from signing James/Anthony.

Go1Bucks's picture

I like all you said.  Except the stupidity of taking Embiid (Oden 2) and trading the draft picks to the 76ers (we need 1 good player, not 1 or 2 that may or may not work out).  Otherwise, great suggestion.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

That sound great except for Craft being a starter. This would be a championship caliber team.

+1 HS
BlockO's picture

Exactly....craft is not a good option imo

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+2 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

Great work on all of the cap space details and providing great contract details, but you totally lost me on the Craft and Embiid ideas.  I like Craft as much as the next guy and think it would be awesome for them to give him a shot as an undrafted FA, but when you went ahead and added him right into the starting lineup, like that would be icing on the cake, I almost spit up my lunch laughing.  Just get Craft in the league for now so he can contribute on the defensive end and hopefully in time he'll develop a shot and be a real contributor.  

+3 HS
Jbucks's picture

Your good with your money and cap analysis I wouldn't let Andy go unless thereß a good sign Bennett is 1000xs better than last year also Craft will never play the 2 or be a starter in the NBA hes an energetic defensive player off the bench which isn't a slight against Craft but true and its not a bad thing. Secondly With embiids surgery he isn't not worth taking that early and if Lebron comes back there's no need for Parker either Wiggins can make the case to play the 2 spot early on bcuz of his defense and his ability to get to the rim. But id rather have Irving and Lebron being my guys to get to the hole and would rather have a spot up shooter at the 2 spot so for me Wiggy is out as well making me lean more toward the Jazz trade where
Jazz get: #1 pick and Jarrett Jack
Cavs get: Alec Burks, Derrick Favors and #5 pick

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

I can see why people are against Craft & Embiid, BUT I'll give you constructive reasons why I am not and why it makes basketball sense:

Aaron Craft isn't a starter in the NBA perse, but there are a lot of guys who start who probably shouldn't as a matter of team chemistry and lineups. Look at the Spurs & Clippers as prime examples. Guys like Manu Ginobili & Jamal Crawford come off the bench as offensive spark plugs when they could probably be starters. Then you had guys like Thabo Sefelosha, Joel Anthony, Kendrick Perkins, then guys like Battier or Bruce Bowen who would start because of their defensive prowess.

If you have starting 5 of Kyrie, Craft, LeBron, Melo, & Embiid (and I'll make the case for him in a moment). You have two players who don't need the ball directly to have an impact on the game. Very few teams have elite backcourts (i.e. a star caliber player at PG and SG). Given that's the case, you could mask Irving's deficiencies on defense by having him guard the lesser of two guards while craft guards the primary ball handler and makes life hell for them. That doesn't mean he has to play starters minutes either. He can set the defensive tempo out the gate and maybe play 18-20 min a game depending on the scenario, plus we'd get to keep him home!

Depending on who's left on the roster, (and particularly in this scenario) you'd still have Jarret Jack as a great combo guard off the bench able to play PG & SG, along with my suggestion of bringing back Mo Williams who would also provide that versatility.

Now as far as Embiid is concerned it's important that we know the nature of his injuries. After reading this write up by Matt McCarthy who is board-certified in internal medicine; you get a better picture of his actual injuries. He notes that fellow young big man Andre Drummond suffered the same injuries, but has showed no ill effects all season playing 81 games and averaging 13pts 13rebs and 1.6blks per game.

Another opinion from Dr. Ben Wedro of MD Direct, suggests that Embiid getting stronger and monitoring his minutes until his body gets used to playing basketball at this level, is the simple remedy and that over 90% of athletes return to their full competition level upon recovery.

This is the reason why I said pick him & be patient. With the likes of Zeller, Bennett, & Thompson on the roster, they have plenty of big, long bodies to split time in the post.

+1 HS
Jbucks's picture

Wiggins is a lockdown defender who will be able to play off the ball bcuz early on he will be forced too. His Offensive side is better than craft and has the size advantage going up against 2's draft craft 2nd round and allow him to come off the bench and gain expirience in D League

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+1 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

Lebron will not take 15 mil less - period. Maybe 2-5 mil, AS he was paid 16 mill last season & will at least require that. SB nation has already done a scenario on this and AV will have to go. Craft as a starter? I LOVE the rosy cheeked assassin, but he wont make an NBA roster! Embiid has a bad back & now a broken leg - so of course the Cavs; will draft him.

LeBron will not play for Dan Gilbert again - EVER.

Nothing in this scenario will happen.

-1 HS
theopulas's picture

your insane if you think he will take another pay cut and go to Cleveland

Theopulas

-1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Cavs don't have as much cap space as you say. If all FAs are renounced and Varejao/Gee/Hopson are waived, the Cavs will have about 27mil in cap space.

They could relatively easily create a lot more space by trading Jack, Waiters, TT and Bennett.

Gametime's picture

You're right, I counted the team options as on the books, but the Cavs shed 34 million from their cap and currently have 32 on the books. Since the cap is raising to 63.2 from 58.9 million, (you were spot on with 27 if the cap stayed the same) it leaves them with 31 million to operate & 35 mil if they trade Waiters.

Thanks bruddah!

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Except Varejao's contract has 4 mil guaranteed. If we waived him, 4 mil would still stay on the books. That takes the 31 mil to 27 mil.

It is rather moot. Between a few extra 1sts and young, cheap players, Cavs can clear salary pretty quickly.

TheBadOwl's picture

It'd be nice to see him come home, but from a basketball perspective, his two best choices are definitely Phoenix and Atlanta. Or at least they'd be the most fun to watch.

Phoenix has a great big man point guard in Dragic, a young star point guard in Bledsoe, and solid contributors in Markeef Morris and Channing Frye. They also have a bunch of first-rounders and enough cap room to sign another max-level free agent in addition to Lebron. Plus they're a very young and exciting team that wouldn't break down in the playoffs like the Heat did.

But I think Atlanta is his best choice. Good luck defending Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Lebron, Paul Milsap and Al Horford. Plus they have some solid bench pieces and they could use a mid-level exception after signing Lebron to get some more bench help. They'd just have to get rid of Lou Williams first.

EDIT: Confused Dragic with Gortat because I'm an idiot.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-4 HS
Bolt's picture

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to go to either of those teams though. It just doesn't seem likely of him to jump ship to just any team. I feel like if he's leaving he's going to Cleveland, NYC, LA or Houston. I see him going home, going to the megamarket cities (NYC/LA) or going to a team that already has superstar players (Houston...and also LAC fits this as well). Going to teams that are just squeaking into the playoffs doesn't seem like his style especially when considering he has no real connection to those cities. 

Goran Dragic is a point guard, I would hardly call Bledsoe a star point guard at this point (I'd call him a nice point guard) and you can find much better contributors on teams than Markeef Morris and Channing Frye. ATL may be able to score some points, but who else is going to defend? It'd be a nice lineup but not one that can beat the Spurs, Thunder, Rockets, etc.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Goran Dragic is a point guard

Gahhhhhh, just got my coffee and realized that I had him confused for Marcin Gortat. Oops.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Denny's picture
+8 HS
Bolt's picture

Gortat's solid. And evil as all hell.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Phoenix has a great big man in Dragic

What?

Bolt's picture

I wish we'd stop letting this guy dictate our franchise and hopes. Move on. Don't get your hopes up and let him let you down again.

+1 HS
Denny's picture

I wish the Cavs would stop letting Dan Gilbert dictate our franchise and hopes, but hey, them's the breaks.

Taquitos.

+9 HS
Bolt's picture

1. We don't have a choice with Gilbert; we do have a choice with LeBron.

2. Gilbert, right or wrong in his decision making, is at least 100% committed to making the Cavs a winner and he's willing to go to any extent and spend any amount of money. His biggest mistake was giving full trust to Chris Grant who is/was an absolute buffoon. Grant is he who decided on the draft picks over the last few years and Grant convinced Gilbert to bring back Mike Brown in a misguided attempt at somehow winning the favor of LeBron. Grant kept making promises, "I can bring in this guy or that guy or this coach or that coach" and shit wasn't working out. Gilbert finally had enough and did what he should've done a year or two ago: shitcan Chris Grant.

+3 HS
Bolt's picture

Also, his biggest current mistake in judgement is that he's now just trying to do whatever to hastily make the playoffs and is being a bit short sighted.

Denny's picture

I can't decide whether your Dan Gilbert Stockholm Syndrome is more cute or sad.

Taquitos.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

lol, I admit the guy has made mistakes, all I was saying is he is at least willing to fork out money and do whatever his GMs have asked of him to try to put out a winner. We could be living with a cheapskate owner or an owner who micromanages everything if you'd rather. An owner who is willing to spend big bucks and whatever it takes on players and facilities (what else does Cleveland have to attract players?) isn't the worst thing in the world.

Earle's picture

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing..."

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Really, you don't have a choice over either.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

sharks's picture

Mr. Bolt,

Would it be weird if I stalked you and upvoted everything you post ever?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Bolt's picture

Only if you let it be.

TheBadOwl's picture

+2 HS
danbrown7665's picture

LeBron James will be a Cav. Just my opinion

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Hope Lebron comes back to Cleveland, however I think it is unlikely. As for Cleveland drafting Embiid, I say no. Wiggins or Parker, is the better choice.

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

So heres a crazy scenario Ive kicked around for some time. Say Cleveland gets on the horn with Minnesota. And offers the first pick in a packge to get Kevin Love. Thats a pretty attractive move if you are hoping to bring LeBron home. He would have a big man. He would have a young, competent PG in Kyrie. Bring Melo along....thats the makings of a pretty solid run. Considering Love and Kyrie are both young, LeBron is a physical specimen who shows no signs of slowing down, and Melo woukd bring some offensive firepower. Sure...making all this work would take a serious leap of faith on the part of Kevin Love. Because he wants to part of a winning team. And the money would probably not work. But crazier things have happened, right?

Bolt's picture

It's all well and good, it's just...no big superstar in his prime (that I can think of) has agreed to come live in Cleveland since Shawn Kemp in the 90s. Melo won't come to Cleveland and Love has already said he doesn't want to go to Cleveland if the Wolves are shopping him. We'd have to deal with Love in an expiring contract and could be renting him for a year at the cost of Wiggins or Parker.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

no big superstar in his prime (that I can think of) has agreed to come live in Cleveland since Shawn Kemp in the 90s.

Must have been to get away from his 40 babies mammas.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

see you don't stop at what attracts Lebron, you always go beyond which makes your theory absolutely ridiculous! Cleveland might attract Kevin Love with the top pick (although I personally would prefer Wiggins with Lebron than Love). Cleveland could entice Lebron to return. I agree that is very plausible.

but then to throw in Carmelo! Come on! Not enough money for Love, Irving and Lebron plus Carmelo. Irving will want to get paid, Love WANTS to get paid. Even if Lebron and Carmelo take half of what they deserve, over the cap!

How about Draft Wiggins and go after Lebron? That should be enough for you Cavs fans! Irving, Wiggins and Lebron with some fairly decent bigs is plenty.

and as far as the big 4 idea of Irving, Lebron, Love and Carmelo: it has been tried before and that is too much ego for one team! Lakers did it with Kobe, Malone, Payton and Shaq. It blew up in less than a season! There is no reason to do it, in Miami or anywhere. Big 3's do just fine, in fact much better than any big 4 created.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

First things first...I am not a Cavs fan. And I prefaced the idea by saying it was crazy. And if you leave Melo out...it does seem plausible. It would require the Cavs and Kevin Love to take a gamble on Lebron returning...which is by no means a certainty at all. But if, and its a big if, they could sell Love on it, it would show Lebron that they actually are serious about building a winner. Its a stretch for sure. And something I dont believe Dan Gilbert would be willing to mortgage the future on.

I look at it this way...at this point, I dont think its about money to Lebron. The man has made a ton of ot just off of business deals and endorsements. At this point I would venture to say its about his legacy...his place among the all time greats. And where better to cement yourself among ths kings of the game than where it all started? This last season in Miami took its toll on Lebron. You could see the frustration at the end of the finals. He has a strong connection to his hometown, region and state. Youd think if money was the driving force, he would have taken the guaranteed money to stay where he was. And ot could very well be he opted out to give Rilwy the flexibility to bring in Melo. Or it could be he wants to come home and mend the fences and bring things full circle.

TheBadOwl's picture

On paper that would be pretty fun to watch, but it'd have the same problem that Miami had, where it's just three guys and no real supporting cast, because they'd have to shed a ton of cap space to fit those three guys on the same team. Granted that Miami won two titles, but still...

Squirrel Master's picture

If Wade and Bosh also opt out, Lebron isn't leaving Miami and a big time player is coming to Miami with them.

If Wade doesn't opt out, Lebron will be going elsewhere which most like will be Cleveland. I pray and hope Cleveland drafts Wiggins because he and Lebron would be good for a very long time. Although I am not a Cavs fan so I really don't hope either happens.

If Bosh opts out, well that won't effect Lebron that much but it will be interesting to see what team he goes to.

I think Lebron is staying in Miami. The big mover will be Carmelo which to me doesn't mean much. He doesn't win enough for me to be concerned.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Congrats...you have a better understanding of the NBA salary cap than 90% of the national sports media.

LouBuck35's picture

Someone posted this on the other LeBron thread - but the brakes should be applied a little bit here.  Disclaimer, I am not a Cleveland fan.  If both Bosh and Wade opt out as well, the chances of LBJ returning are pretty slim.  At that point, they are all going to be discussing reworks of their contracts in order to add more pieces to Miami.  If neither Bosh nor Wade restructure, then the Cavs hopes could jump up considerably.  Say what you will about Kyrie Irving - and I agree he is extremely talented - but having just him and the #1 pick arren't enough to get LeBron to return.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

Fear The Elf's picture

Bosh and Wade opting out and re-signing for less is probably the only way he stays in Miami. If they both opt in, Miami has no cap space, little draft picks and no other tradeable assets. Their roster would be Bosh, James, Wade, Cole, Haslem, their draft pick and a bunch of vet mins.

Wade and Bosh need to restructure so that they take up no more than 30 mil this year, IMO. Even at that, James would have to take a decent pay cut to give the Heat more than 5 mil in cap space.

If it comes out that Wade is opting in, feel confident that James is leaving Miami.

BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+3 HS
Beat Meatchicken's picture

Lebum is a quitting crybaby bitch. Plain and simple. Saw it against my celtics and his true colors showed once again in the finals this year. Comedy gold for me. Call me a hater if you want but dude has A LOT of quit in him for the "best in the game." 

-13 HS
RedStorm45's picture

He could just be opting out to restructure his deal so the Heat have more cap space...

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Let Cavaliers fans dream for one day! I want to believe he will come back. Haha.

+1 HS
My2Sons's picture

Don't worry about it.  My sources are telling me that James is enrolling at tOSU tomorrow, with the intent of playing TE for the Buckeyes.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

How exactly did he not perform in the finals this season?  It was the rest of the Heat that sucked it up.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Dumbass of the day alert..

-1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Either NY, or LA. but please not Cleveland. RISE UP CAVS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

-3 HS
NeilAve's picture

If Gilbert wasn't an idiot writing that cry baby letter after lebron left i think there could be a chance.

+3 HS

If LeBron hadn't embarrassed him, the organization, his teammates, and the fans on national tv, the letter wouldn't have been written.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Denny's picture

You're not particularly familiar with Dan Gilbert's tendency to fly off and write 'letters', are you?

Taquitos.

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

That doesn't matter. Dan Gilbert embarrassed the Cavs organization much more with that immature, and ridiculous letter. You can't do stuff like that as the owner of a team.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Maybe it's just me, but I think Lebron ends up in Miami or Cleveland because of 1 simple reason. Eastern Conference. Who would want to go through the west if they can avoid it, which Lebron can? Whichever team he signs with instantly becomes a top 2-3 team in the east and the other isn't a contender. 

Buck-I4Life

+4 HS
Bolt's picture

Excellent point regarding the grind of the west.

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

I was in my car listening to The Fan from 11 to 2. All Lebron all the time. I'm sick of it already.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+1 HS

One of the biggest reasons I hope he doesn't come back.

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

But if he comes back, it'll be happy Lebron talk, not sad/vitriolic/desperate/annoying Lebron talk.

+2 HS

I don't want any LeBron talk. The amount of it on a daily basis is annoying. It's almost makes SEC talk look tame.

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He's the best basketball player in the world and probably one of the top five of all-time. And he's in his prime. Saying you don't want to hear any talk about him at all is like saying that you didn't want to hear about Jordan when he was in his prime.

+3 HS

and probably one of the top five of all-time.

Top 5 players aren't 2-3 in the NBA Finals.

Saying you don't want to hear any talk about him at all is like saying that you didn't want to hear about Jordan when he was in his prime.

After hearing this crap almost nonstop since 2007, yeah, i'm done with it.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

Magic was 5-4 in the finals. Larry Bird was 3-2 in the finals. Lebron still has about 5 or 6 very good years left. He is well on his way to being a top 5 player of all time. Being 2-3 in the finals at this point in his career does not mean anything. Basketball is a TEAM GAME.

Magic was 5-4 in the finals. Larry Bird was 3-2 in the finals.

Both of which are above .500.

Being 2-3 in the finals at this point in his career does not mean anything.

To you it doesn't mean anything. If he gets above .500, that changes things. If it continues the downward trend, it will affect where he ends up.

-3 HS
theopulas's picture

wouldn't go that far....

Theopulas

otrain2416's picture

As a Cleveland fan, I've learned not to get my hopes up in these situations. 

+4 HS
sbentz4's picture

Hopefully d wade takes his option and forces the heat to try and sign people for less than they r worth. If james signs max deal and wade takes option, they will essentially be out of money.

bethesdabuck's picture

As a site dedicated to all things Ohio State sports, especially Football and Basketball, we ALL should be in favor of LeBron coming to Cleveland, because it gives Meyer and Matta all the more opportunity to use him as a recruiting tool. Say what you will about him, LeBron loves Ohio State and, I would imagine, would be happy to lend more support - Cleveland is a lot closer to Columbus than Miami!

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

Meyer's new pitch to southern recruits..."Lebron took a pay cut to leave South Beach and return to Ohio"

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

these so called Cavs "fans" saying they don't want Lebron back for one reason or another...

https://forums.oneplus.net/attachments/laughing-gif.10714/

Heat "fans" are more believable than these so called Cavs fans..

DIRECTIONER

+8 HS
BuckminsterFullback's picture

LeBron will turn 30 before on December 30, 2014.

He has played 11 full seasons in the NBA, and the equivalent of 2 additional seasons in the playoffs; and he has played on 3 Olympic teams. He works hard on both ends of the floor. He's a large man with an impressive vertical leap, and his legs have absorbed a lot of impact. He has placed a lot of cumulative stress on his achilles tendons, menisci, and ACLs.

A man who is cheating the injury gods should not sign with Cleveland. He just shouldn't.

-2 HS
Earle's picture

I fail to see why this comment is deserving of downvotes. It is a well-reasoned opposing viewpoint that is not in any way in violation of the commenting policy.  I actually think he is making a very intelligent point, whether you agree with it or not.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Same situation played out a few years ago. Everyone gets their hopes up and LeBron makes a business decision that doesnt involve the Cavs and the scorned lover syndrome kicks in furiously. Best thing would be  to try not reading about it and investing any emotions in to it,then if he was to actually choose the Cavs it would feel like a giant Christmas present for some. It has been said he is willing to take a lot less money at this point in his career because the only thing that matters is winning titles and strengthening his brand.All you have to do is list out the teams he is legitimately considering and see which ones can help him sustain title level basketball while also building his brand as much as possible. Unless Cleveland can work some serious roster magic in the next couple weeks then I just dont think he will view them as the best option. I guess a backdoor deal similar to the one he set up to go to the Heat is always possible but I wont be putting any serious thought into that sort of dreamland fantasy.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Who in their right mind would not want arguably the greatest basketball player of all time on their team? LeBron is not the greatest yet IMO, but he has a very legitimate shot at becoming it.

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

If there is a realistic shot at LeBron, you draft Wiggins, if not, you trade the pick to the Sixers for Thad Young and the 3rd pck and draft Embiid. There's no need for him to come in and play right away. Let him sit for however long an get his body right. Big men like him don't come around very often. Reminds me a lot of Dwight, not as strong yet, but just as mobile and more fluid. The Cavs aren't going to be contending for a title unless LeBron comes back.

They can't afford to make the same mistake they did with LeBron and not surround Kyrie with quality players. Embiid is the first piece and it's likely they will be in the lotto again next year. They could already be one step closer but they drafted Anthony Bennett for some odd reason. 

My scenario as I've said before is to do this. Package Waiters and the #1 pick to the Sixers for maybe Thad Young and their 2 top ten picks. Select Embiid at 3 and Stauskas or LaVine at 10. 

1. Kyrie/Jarrett Jack

2. Stauskas or Lavine/Alonzo Gee/CJ Miles

3. LeBron?/Thad Young/Luol Deng

4. Tristan Thompson/Bennett/Varejao

5. Hawes/Zeller/Embiid 

Two Top Ten picks for the future plus Kyrie. The Sixers love Wiggins enough to make the trade above and Jabari wants to in Milwaukee and not Cleveland. There's not really a better fit that's gonna make much of a difference for the Cavaliers from pick 5-9. They don't need a 4. Embiid at 3 is worth it when you get another top 10 pick.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Yea anyone read the Espin article about Parker tanking his Cavs workout and Wiggins absolutely nailing it? Was pretty telling and if Parker doesnt want to play here that bad then there is no possible way you draft him. For the record they said he was sucking wind early and often,came in way overweight and out of shape. Missed many shots and looked disinterested all together. And on the other hand Wiggins was shooting lights out and really showed off his elite athleticism. Wiggins upside and desire to lock down his opponent can not be overlooked. The article also mentioned on how the whole organization is split between the 2 picks with no consensus.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

My pecking order has always been Healthy Embiid, then Wiggins, then Parker. Shame for Embiid about his injuries, but he's too much of a risk to take #1. Wiggins is the clear choice for the Cavs, IMO.

scottyp_330's picture

Jazz want to trade up to get Parker and give up Derrick Favors. If only there was a way to draft Wiggins and get Favors from the Jazz.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Considering how far he was thrown under the bus when he left, Id be shocked if he went back to Cleveland. Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Melo head out to California and try to win one more with Kobe. But Im going to agree that this is simply a ploy to get more money from Miami. Of course theyre going to ante up.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

-4 HS

More money? There is a maximum amount of money and LeBron and others are saying publicly they are willing to take less  to make things work. Nothing about this situation has anything to do with how much money the franchises are willing to pay. Its more about endorsements and titles and building a winning brand in a big market. For the record there is no "more money" from Miami because any club  would be willing to pay LeBron his max to have the biggest superstar on their team. Just letting you know this has very little to do with an actual NBA contract and  more to do with what and where everybody else is going to be. LeBron has reached the status in the article I read that he would be better off with a team making 5 million a year but competing for and  winning titles then he would on a team making 50 million a year but exiting the playoffs early. 

+1 HS
scottyp_330's picture

Anytime you come across a heat 'fan', ask them to show you a picture of them in heat gear as a child. You'll win every time..

jamesrbrown322's picture

Is LeBron coming back to Cleveland?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Buck Commander's picture

LeBron is Retiring........he is going home to Akron to retire!   Bank on it!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

-2 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Ya, he's staying in Miami. Opting out  has no bearing on where he's going to be. This is a strategic move but the dude isn't coming back to Cleveland.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

-1 HS