Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Day 10

11W Staff's picture
June 21, 2014 at 11:45am
16 Comments
Messi

Start your day watching Messi score World Cup goals against Iran. If only to punish them for playing a boring match against Nigeria earlier in the week.

The 3 p.m. match features Germany and Ghana, two teams in our group. Germany is a machine, but if Ghana ties or springs an upset, then the USMNT is winning this damn thing. Book it. 

Time (ET) GROUP Matchup TV Internet
Noon F Argentina (1-0) vs. Iran (0-0-1) ESPN WatchESPN, TV Publica, IRIB
3:00 p.m. G Germany (1-0) vs. Ghana (0-1) ESPN WatchESPN, Das Erste, GTV
6:00 p.m. F Nigeria (0-0-1) vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina (0-1) ESPN WatchESPN, NTA, BHT1
KBonay's picture

This game is a snoozer....
Ok, flopping is part of the sport,  I get it.  What country is the worst bunch of floppers?

Groveport Heisman's picture

Yea not impressed by any match Iran is involved in. Name off the top 5 floppers.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Pretty hilarious that he had to qualify his description of Iran. That says a lot about a country IMO... 

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

At least the good guys prevailed.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Go1Bucks's picture

MEssi scored from the exact ame place as the gif in stoppage time.  damnit

Go Bucks!

DJ Byrnes's picture

Magisterial Messi.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Classic...

KBonay's picture

And Iran...Iran so far away.....

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

May be unpopular, but I gotta give credit to ESPN for their World Cup coverage. I don't care for much else they do, but they do pretty well with the WC, especially on their website and the relationship with Men in Blazers, thoroughly entertaining.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Yeah, it's been great.

Jason Priestas's picture

THEY'RE GHANA DO IT.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Unfortunately they forced a draw, but that actually works best for us.  I think all we have to do is draw with Portugal and we have a very very good chance at advancing.  Here's to hoping that we win and clinch a berth to the next round tomorrow.

jamesrbrown322's picture

That win over Ghana certainly looks a lot better now. I am so sick of people who know NOTHING about soccer (football, futbol) saying, "Oh wow, we beat a country that's 1/10th our size!" This is NOT American Football. Population does not correlate to success. We have lost to smaller nations in basketball, baseball, tennis, and hockey (to name a few). 

I don't hear anyone say, oh big deal, we beat Sweden, Yugoslavia, or Cuba in any other sports except soccer. Can you imagine if people thought Novak Djokovic wasn't s big deal just because he's Serbian. It's so stupid.

Sorry, down from the soapbox now. But seriously, that win over Ghana has got to make us feel pretty good after today's result, not to mention what we've seen from Costa Rica and ThatTeamDownSouth, who we played well against in qualification.

chicagobuckeye's picture

The problem is not only the country itself but how we looked against them. The result today is better, but the us looked lost much of the game and looked as though they decided to put 8 guys on the 18 and go from there. Better teams such as Germany with that kind of control won't be as forgiving.

jamesrbrown322's picture

No doubt, but when it gets to this level, a win is a win and 3 points is 3 points. Just hoping they pull out the W today. With the Ghana result, a draw makes this very interesting, and with a loss, they're done.