Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins

Sebastian's picture
June 20, 2014 at 3:29pm
54 Comments

Who should the Cleveland Cavaliers select with the #1 pick?

bethmowins's picture

Most say Wiggins but i think Parker is more NBA ready now. There are some that think the Cavs will still take Embiid.

+3 HS
Bolt's picture

Parker is more NBA ready, but he's a ball dominating player who needs the ball in his hands to be most effective. The Cavs already have two players like that in Irving and Waiters. Embiid is a massive red flag. Some people, especially big men, are just plain and simply injury prone. He seems to be one of those people. He's started playing basketball in high school and has had some kind of injury almost every year. 

Wiggins is the pick as far as I'm concerned. He has the ceiling to be a franchise player and I think his floor is being what Kawhi Leonard was this year. He's like Kidd-Gilchrist on steroids. He's a freak athlete, plays hard, will be an excellent defender at the next level and has shown flashes of what he can do offensively this past year. He can play off the ball and be effective at this point and fit in with Kyrie and Dion as the guys they run the offense through. He'd be a perfect fit for what the Cavs need right now in terms of defense,athleticism, hustle...and will still have time to realize his potential down the road.

+7 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

If only the Cavs would heed your advice

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
scottyp_330's picture

Everything you said makes perfect sense, I just feel like Waiters is a solid trading piece. Take Parker and trade Dion. I love Waiters but I can't imagine him resigning after his initial contract anyways. Its almost impossible to have both your guards needing so much time with ball. Unless Waiters can embrace the 6th man role. Again. Pair Parker with Kyrie and have two smart sold Duke pieces for the future. Trade Dion towards a respectable big man and I think we'll be alright.

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Bolt had a very good comment above, and I agree a lot with what he said. Wiggins fits extremely well with both Kyrie and Waiters. People get on him because he doesnt seem to have that "Alpha Male" quality, but the cavs already have that in Kyrie, and having two alpha male types never ends well. This is why Kyrie and Waiters cant ever seem to play with one another. Wiggins would slide in as a perfect compliment to Kyrie's game and, while I would love to trade Dion for a pure shooter i.e. N. Stauskes or a great defender like G. Harris, he could stay on the team and play well with Wiggins as well. Drafting Parker gives you another ball dominant player and I wonder if he meshes any better with Kyrie than Waiters did. Even if he can coexist with Kyrie, drafting him almost assures Waiters would have to be moved, as you cant have three of those types of players on the same team. There arent enough balls/offensive possessions to go around.

Baroclinicity's picture

I'm not picky.  Just not Embiid.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+7 HS
Woodshed's picture

I wish I could upvote you a million times.

I was all about Embiid (despite his back) but add in a stress fracture in his foot? NO WAY.

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

well say the Cavs get LeBron back, i think they should take Embiid. But if they cant i'd go with Parker.

Buckeye fan from PA

Baroclinicity's picture

I just can't envision any scenario where he comes back...

+6 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Wishful thinking i guess. I would love to see him back in Cleveland.

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

Really wanna put all your eggs in one basket and get burned by LeBron again? They need to move on and quit this desperate play.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Wiggins, but wouldn't be disappointed with Parker

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

If Lebron comes back then he's basically picking

TheBadOwl's picture

Trade for Melo. Not a Cavs, FWIW.

Not that this is a credible source at all, but...

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Bolt's picture

The source is hardly credible. It's the same guy who claimed that LeBron stormed out of a meeting with Mickey Arison the other day when Arison asked him to take a pay cut...only problem is LeBron's on vacation out of the country with his family.

Baroclinicity's picture

For all that is holy, please, no.

+5 HS
Earle's picture

Please, please, no.

Italics are for emphasis.

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Doesn't Lebron want to play with Melo?

+2 HS
mobboss1984's picture

melo and defense doesn't get along

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You earned this 1984

Woodshed's picture

Melo doesn't get along with anything or anyone but himself.

Horrible defense

Black hole offense

Bad, bad, bad.

irishfury's picture

Wiggins I would trade the whole pistons squad besides Drummond for him.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Personally I think Parker is the most nba ready player in the draft. Rarely had a bad game while at duke. Wiggins scored single digits multiple times including, IIRC, in the game they got knocked out of the tourney. Most reports say they need a wiggins type more than Parker though so we'll see.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

Wiggins didn't really have bad games per se either...he just had games where he wasn't particularly involved in the offense. He showed up against the bigger opponents the most and was very good on the defensive side of the ball. You're right that the Cavs do need more of a defense/hustle/athleticism guy right now and someone that can fit in and be effective without the ball in his hands on offense. You add Parker to Waiters and Irving and now you've got 3 ball dominating players who need the ball in their hands to be effective playing from the perimeter on in.

+4 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Which brings the question...would all 3 even be there? I don't know. I think you gotta move Irving in light of him not signing an extension...

HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Wiggins. Parker couldn't guard me, and the NBA isn't JUST about scoring. A lockdown defender on the perimeter is necessary. If LeBron comes back, he could start at any of the 5 positions. Parker wouldn't disappoint me, but the Spurs are proof that a good defense is mandatory to win. Wiggins potential is too tantalizing to pass up.

+4 HS
stubbzzz's picture

Can anybody explain what the big deal about Embiid's foot injury is?  is it something that likely foreshadows a recurring foot problem, or just a one time injury?  If it's just a one time problem, I say, take Embiid anyway and just wait patiently while he heals, because he looks Awesome on both ends of the floor.  If he turns out to be Dwight Howard but with actual offensive skills, I would really hate to play against him.

Bolt's picture

It's a stress fracture. Stress fractures are worse than breaks because they can often become recurring and lingering issues, particularly for big men. Aside from that, he's had injuries nearly every year since he first started playing in high school. Some people are just injury prone. It's a gamble at this point. Yeah, if he turns out to be Dwight Howard with actual offensive skills, I would really hate to play against him as well. The other side of the coin is he could turn out like Greg Oden or Michael Olowakandi. A big man with documented serious foot and back injuries is a big red flag to me.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

See: Yao Ming

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Bolt's picture

Also derailed the career of Arvydas Sabonis, who at one point in his career was one of the best big men in the world. Started having foot and back issues and he was never the same. Wish we could've seen him in the NBA when he was still athletically capable. He was awesome.

+2 HS
stubbzzz's picture

uggh.  that is so frustrating.  it seems like this always happens to the best big men anymore.  If I were the GM I would just quit and be like "I can't handle this, someone else make the pick!"  

I guess Big Z is the only guy to recover from chronic foot problems, but then again, that took 5 surgeries, at least 3 years and he had a lead foot after that, really limiting his speed and athleticism.  so yeah, even if Embiid recovered from this stuff, he might not be the same athlete anymore.  

jaxbuckeye's picture

Wiggins. Hands down. 

+4 HS
hawkins.326's picture

100 percent. I don't even think it should be a discussion.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Trade the #1 pick to the Sixers for the #3 and #10 and if you feel like Embiid is a get at 10 then take him there, if not take him at 3 and you still can get a quality player at #10. I hate saying this but a guy like Stauskas (because they need shooters) will be available there. Trade Dion and the 2nd round pick to get back in the first round or get picks for next year where they can get a guy like Stanley Johnson. I love Waiters but he has always been too ball dominate to play with Kyrie. 

This one draft isn't going to make the Cavs a contender. They need to worry about surrounding Kyrie with shooters and capable big men. So if they take Embiid (there is no pressure for him to play right away) and Stauskas, that's two quality players that can become very good at their positions with a guy like Kyrie running the 1. If they are high again next year, a guy like Okafor or Alexander, or Stanley Johnson can start to give the team an identity and then start competing and making the playoffs. Or LeBron James comes back and takes this team to the promise land.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I've been saying this for a while now. There is a lot of value in this draft. We're in the minority though. 

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Yeah I agree. One might say you're just being... Optimistic...

I respect your opinion, but this is the type of thinking that keeps a team terrible FOREVER. There were three franchise players in this class, and before Embid's injury, 3 and 10 was a good idea, but you can't put the fate of the franchise on a center with bad knees AND a bad back (See Oden, Ming). It took big Z 6 years to become a contributor and he only had one of those problems. Embid had a stress fracture as a senior in HS, a back injury as a frosh in college (on a 30 game schedule) and now another stress fracture before he even plays another game, and you want him as your franchise savior!? A week ago i would have loved the idea of Embid and Stauskes (Another clay thompson), but now, there are only 2 franchise players in the draft, and the cavs better leave with one of them. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

Wiggins...Him and Parker's careers will be forever compared and I think you always go with the guy that plays elite defense and is a "team" guy.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

sivaDavis's picture

Crazy stat I wanted to throw out:

On Draft Express, 6 out of the top 10 projected picks, 4 out of the top 5, are HS Seniors. So 6 one and dones after the upcoming season. 

+1 HS
Iwearmocs's picture

Wiggins, or trade down for embiid ( I've heard w/ philly for 3,10 and young)

+2 HS
osubuck57's picture
+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Trade the pick to Philly for #3, #10, Noel, and   MCW. #3 and Noel for #1 is pulling teeth, but it's a fair offer.

Cavs can't go wrong with Parker or Wiggins, but I would choose Parker because he will be a star and probably a superstar like LeBron and Durant.

Woodshed's picture

The cavs could have taken Noel if they wanted him. Why in the world would they trade for him now?

This trade is completely ridiculous for both teams. Noel is a broken pogo stick and you cant get anything equivalent to Wiggins/Parker with 3 and 10. Meanwhile, Philly is trying to build something with young guys. They aren't going to give up all of their young assets for one guy. Neither team would be happy with this trade. This isn't a video game...

Danify's picture

Tough choice between Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins, but I would lean toward Andrew Wiggins as he can play two positions on the court by his athleticism alone (Small Forward and Shooting Guard). Now, I know Jabari Parker is capability of playing Small Forward and Power Forward, but Cavaliers have Anthony Bennett (I hope...) for that. It would allow for Cleveland to use Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson as trade bait for veterans to draw "You know who" back to Cleveland. Dion Waiters can be an great player, but having two ball heavy guards isn't good for any team,  plus with the Cavaliers naming David Blatt as Head Coach and his previous experience with Karasev, it will allow for the loss of Dion Waiters (addition of Wiggins) to be minimal. However, what the Cavaliers could draft Jabari Parker based on his maturely and leadership on the court. Honestly, I would take both Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I am glad they offered Blatt - if he accepts the offer - the Cavs got themselves a real good one.

+2 HS
Danify's picture

Officially Head Coach for the Cavaliers! 

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture
+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Finally a positive. Now maybe his input will help to prevent a draft disaster.  

Go Bucks!

+1 HS

I've actually spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I think the decision is quite simple. Eventually, the best player in this draft will be Andrew wiggins. He went 17ppg/6rpg/2apg as a college freshmen, on a team with a shitty offensive system, where he didnt need to be the alpha dog. To put this into perspective, Micheal Jordan went 18ppg/5rpg/2apg for his college CAREER (albeit with a slightly high shooting %). Kawhi leonard went 14/10/2, and Wiggans is more athletic than either. Will he ever be a top 5 shooter in the league? Probably not. But he's a stud, and his two way potential is second to none.

Now, this does not mean that he is the best player for the cavs. Wiggens will be the best player in this draft, but it will take him 3/4 years tow get there. Wiggens is nice because he's a defensive phenom and he can play two positions while fitting in perfectly as Kyrie's robin (He doesnt have the mentality of a Batman). If the cavs think they can 1) trade for Love (long shot) 2) bring back Lebron (longer shot), 3) that kyrie is 100% going to resign, he is the pick. 

If you can not say yes to any of those options, the pick needs to be Parker. While Wiggens will take time to develop, Parker will be a 20+ point scorer a night, yesterday. Adding an offensive playmaker like that may convince Kyrie to resign. The problem with Parker (as people have stated above) is that he is a ball dominant player who will not mesh great with Kyrie, or to an even greater extent, Waiters. So if you draft him, you need to have a trade in the works for Dion.

The optimal scenario is that the cavs draft Wiggins at 1, and then trade Waiters (who never meshed well with Kyrie anyway) and possibly a future first for another pick in the top ten. The Jazz are in a bad spot at 5 if exum is gone, and we could possibly reach for Embid there. Or we could try for the 9-10 range to land McDermott (can score from anywhere), Stauskes (Klay Thompson), or Harris (a better defender with good offensive potential). This gives us two quality shooters to Kyrie's slashing abilities. Realistic Starting lineup: Kyrie, Miles, Wiggens, Thompson, Hawes (hope he resigns) with Jack, Stauskes/Harris, Bennett, and Zeller coming off the bench

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

I'm happy with either but I prefer Parker. Much higher basketball iq and more polished. He played out of position at center at duke so he carried an extra 15-20 lbs he won't in the league. So the defensive quickness and his underrated athleticism will show better. He also plays well off the ball. He's a team guy and will be 2nd to kyrie. This kid is a true baller knows the game very mature player. Also fits blatt much better. He needs guys who can score and pass and idk if wiggins can do either in the league where parker I have no doubt

O'Deez330
stark county football

jmacaulay17's picture

I would pick Wiggins. I think Parker might be more NBA ready right now, but Wiggins to me has much more upside in the long run. He is an athletic freak and one hell of a defender that would help with an area the Cavs struggled with last season. 

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Kindell's picture

There is no way that they can even consider Embiid at this point. There are two more franchise players in this draft that you can't pass up for a risk like Embiid. They need to get this pick right and get a player who can help now. Wiggins is the better fit because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to contribute. He also plays the elite perimeter defense that they need desperately. I think Parker will be good too, he just isn't as good of a fit. They need to keep it simple and don't over think this. They don't need to make a trade out of the top 2 and get cute . They have a great coach, now just take Andrew Wiggins.

+1 HS