Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Day Eight

11W Staff's picture
June 19, 2014 at 11:45am
48 Comments
ROLL DAMN IVORY COAST

Colombia are playing well, but will they have enough for 1000% ELEPHANTS? Later, England will be play for their Cup lives against Uruguay. Ditto for Japan and Greece.

Time (ET) GROUP Matchup TV Internet
Noon C Colombia (1-0) vs. Côte d'Ivoire (1-0) ESPN WatchESPN
3:00 p.m. D Uruguay (0-1) vs. England (0-1) ESPN WatchESPN
6:00 p.m. C Japan (0-1) vs. Greece (0-1) ESPN WatchESPN
DJ Byrnes's picture

I need a 1000% Buckeyes scarf, yesterday.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

toad1204's picture

I'm not sure I've seen Buckeye soccer scarves...  I'd get on that train.  11W dry goods?

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yes please!

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

DJ Byrnes's picture

I actually have an Ohio State scarf, and it's bad-ass. My GF found it for me at Buckeye Corner, I believe. 

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Unky Buck's picture

Was this deliberate or on accident, like Figthing?

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Is he Swamp Thing's healthier cousin?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I fully expect this  Columbia vs Ivory Coast match to be exciting as hell.Weird to think whoever wins pretty much coasts off with the group. I'll be rooting for the Elephants to stomp out the coca plants.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jeremytwoface's picture

Man... The World Cup is like my Super Bowl and it lasts a whole month.

I love it.

+4 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

what's with the african nations leaving their best players on the bench to start? i get that eto'o was hurt for cameroon yesterday, but ghana left essien and boateng (two of their four best players, and boateng KILLS us) on the bench against us, and you could argue it cost them the game (ghana was much more dangerous and equalized after boateng came on). today, ivory coast leaves kalou and kolo toure on the bench (i get bringing in drogba later because of age). it's not like you're playing a lot of games (one a week is nothing for these guys, they are used to two and three per week during their seasons).  i don't get it.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

Kurt's picture

That's and interesting observation (I was also shocked when I saw Essien trotting on as a sub: how was this guy not starting?!).  Perhaps there's chance the managers from Ghana and Ivory Coast could be swayed by money to alter their lineups?

KeithMC33's picture

I believe that towards the end of the EPL season Kolo Toure played sparingly because he was carrying a groin injury as well as knee tendinitis, so it's possible that is still bothering him and he might not be in game shape yet. 90 minutes in England is a hell of a lot different than in the heat of Brazil.

Still perplexing to see some of these guys starting on the bench though!! 

Drogba comes in at the  60 minute mark. Lets see if he can spark some energy.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jeremytwoface's picture

BOOM!!! Goal Columbia

Wilkins78's picture

I feel like the Ivorian keeper should have had both of those.

Wow that was a nice GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

jeremytwoface's picture

Whoa!!! What an answer from Ivory Coast!!1

Wilkins78's picture

Ouch, that'll be a nice charlie horse.

What an exciting finish. I was literally on the edge of my seat.

bucknutfern4's picture

JAMESSSSS!!!! Been saying since his days in Banfield James Rodriguez is the truthhhhhhh. And JuanFer is going to be worth a lot of dough in the near future. The last two U20 WC captains for Colombia scored and showed their class

-1 HS

I'll take Uruguay on this one just because.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Rooney = useless. He's like Chris Bosh in the 2nd half...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

3GB's picture

Rooney has had a heck of a career.  I think he gets more flak than he deserves but he'll go down as one of the best English footballers ever.

jamesrbrown322's picture

He's a great club player for sure. But in the WC, he's always been disappointing. I wish he'd have a good run here and carry England deep.

Wilkins78's picture

He almost had one there.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not a Rooney fan but he should have finished that cross

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Story of his WC so far.  I'd say he missed 1-2 sitters against Italy.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed and if they don't come back in the 2nd half the could be vacationing with Spain

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Yeesh, this ref...

Wilkins78's picture

Blah, the cannibal with a goal.

jeremytwoface's picture

Awesome cross by Cavani right there.

3GB's picture

England has to put one of these easy ones in.  They've had so many attack chances and come up dry.  Though Uruguay has had a few rockets narrowly miss as well.  Sturridge is due.

jeremytwoface's picture

Uruguay is due for another goal..... soon....

Wilkins78's picture

That dude is out.  Hope he's ok.  Knee to the side of the head.

3GB's picture

Apparently they don't have the same protocols on concussions as the U.S.

jeremytwoface's picture

That's because they aren't getting sued..... yet.

You can't spell chump without UM's picture

Uruguay is beginning to play Tresselball

Brady Hoke ate my comment

AT last Wayne Rooney scores a World Cup goal. I feel like I'm in the paternity ward looking at a 40 year old new born baby.

jeremytwoface's picture

ROONEY!!!

jeremytwoface's picture

England turning up the heat....

jeremytwoface's picture

No offside??

3GB's picture

I think it was deflected

jeremytwoface's picture

You're right.... bad luck.

jeremytwoface's picture

Big win for Uruguay.... 

Wow Spain and England packing early consider me shocked.

BUCKfutter's picture

England actually still has a decent chance of advancing.  Italy needs to beat Costa Rica, England beat Costa Rica, and Italy beat Uruguay, and they could be through depending on goal differential.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Watching the end of the Columbia game, I lost a lot of respect for Columbia. I've played so I understand the delay tactics but they play on and shoot from mid field, and Ivory Coast comes back and the entire team is complaining about the continued play. Then when they get the ball they kick it 75 yards and out of bounds. Classless. 

+2 HS

Yea they tried to pull some little baby bitch shit. I would have thought the Columbians were a bit tougher then that. I guess that win was worth more then being judged by the World though so I cant rag them too much.

BUCKfutter's picture

same with me and chile yesterday. i've long despised spain for their diving and stalling tactics, but chile was even worse