Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Day Six

11W Staff's picture
June 17, 2014 at 12:02pm
35 Comments
Minnows?

Belgium–Algeria is today's appetizer before Mexico–Brazil. Do we cheer for Mexico's utter destruction, or pull for our CONCACAF peers to pull the monumental upset?

Time (ET) GROUP Matchup TV Internet
Noon H Belgium vs. Algeria ESPN WatchESPN
3:00 p.m. A Brazil vs. Mexico ESPN WatchESPN
6:00 p.m. H Russia vs. South Korea ESPN WatchESPN
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Belgium is my dark horse team (and many others).  They play another form of TresselBall.  I think they can make a pretty decent run.  Solid team with a very lucky draw.

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Yeah, there is a lot of talent on that team.  Surprised they aren't dominating this game a bit more.

Groveport Heisman's picture

I'm jacked for the Brazil vs Mexico match. Should be highly entertaining and hopefully no home cooking.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Will be glued as well. Let's hope the game is called fair and no drama to overshadow.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Belgium is struggling today. I'm surprised.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Belgium going down could have huge implications down the road for the U.S.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Danify's picture

Surprised @ Belgium as they were my favorite to win the WC. However, this match is just an appetizer for the match of the tournament between Brazil and Mexico. Can't wait for that.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

LOL AT U IDIOTS WHO CHOSE BELGIUM TO THE FINALS*

*looks at WC bracket and weeps

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Wilkins78's picture

GOAL!!! Fellaini!!!  Surprised he wasn't starting.

Well that escalated quickly. That pass out wide right was a thing of beauty.

Wilkins78's picture

The run by 17 opening it up was even better.

William's picture

This Brazil-Mexico game is going to be a divefest, there may be some Oscar worthy performances this afternoon. As for the Belgians, never doubted them, they just have too much talent. 

BUCKfutter's picture

yup. watching brazil-mexico feels a bit like watching wisconsin-scUM. at least in soccer, nobody winning is actually a possibility.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

So far, so right.

The one thing I can't stand about soccer.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

jeremytwoface's picture

What did Dani Alves and Neymar do to their heads???

bucknutfern4's picture

Those national anthems wooooow. Mexico showed every foreign nation how to properly sing a national anthem. While Brazil just put a epic performance.

Mexicanos al grito de guerra!! 

-1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Being at work and being unable to get live updates on these games sucks. I can't watch it on ESPN3, so I'm stuck just periodically checking updates. At least I can catch the 6 pm game tonight when I get home.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I posted a Facebook status this past weekend to see if anyone would give me their Time Warner username and password so I could watch here at work.... I have DirecTV and ESPN3 doesn't support them.

My friend hooked me up.

Unky Buck's picture

My local cable provider does not support them either (nor do they carry BTN....?!?!?!?!) and I haven't ventured to asking others to help out in that regard. But Wilkins helped out below and I'm now set!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Gracias, mi amigo.

jeremytwoface's picture

Anyone else craving hotdogs???

And with the officials shirt, you can make a stop light.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Wow. These officials. Just . Wow.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Unky Buck's picture

Oh man, the goalie for Mexico nearly bit it on the post on that save...yikes

bucknutfern4's picture

Mexico needs to thank the US and zusi forever and ever. The US definitely gave them the opportunity to show that with a proper coach and proper goalie this team is very underrated

-1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Not a fan of Team Mexico, but this might be my favorite non-American at the World Cup.

Baller

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I can't figure out which team to root for in this game. I despise Mexico, but Brazil is like the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers hype machine rolled into one.

Wait, who am I kidding? Hate > jealousy/annoyance. Go Brazil!

I'm rooting for complete chaos and riots. So yea our friendly backpackers to the South have me pulling for them. Home team is going to be hard to beat down there.

Unky Buck's picture

With all due respect, Jason, I have to go with this lovely woman as my favorite non-US person at the World Cup. It's safe work and all, so don't worry. There's also plenty more of her on this Houston area article about a photographer's obsession with her.

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Can you blame the photographer? 

Staring at photos of this #1 fan inspires thoughts of a new soccer formation - the 2-2-2-2-2.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I sure as hell don't blame the photographer either. I would be doing the same thing.

jeremytwoface's picture

Ochoa is playing out of his mind this game....

+1 HS

No doubt he has kept their hope alive. Ridiculous save after save.

Unky Buck's picture

I've been in and out of my office, so I haven't been able to watch the match entirely, but he was making some phenomenal saves left and right when I did get to view it. Hats off to him for playing as well as he did.

toad1204's picture

Insane header save.  Almost a Mexico win here no matter how the rest plays out. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02...