Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!!!!!

jeremytwoface's picture
June 16, 2014 at 9:11am
64 Comments

Tonight's the night, ladies and gentlemen.

USA vs Ghana
6pm
ESPN

Watch, or you're a communist!!

My prediction is 3-1 for the good guys.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

USA!  USA!  USA!

In the words of Bart Scott, CANT WAIT!!!

+9 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

2-1 United States of America prevail.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+7 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Nice prediction, GH!

+1 HS

Much appreciated and I felt like the stars aligned perfectly to escape with that prediction and the 3 points.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Woodysghost's picture

Not a big soccer guy normally but i cant miss an opportunity to root for my country!

USA! USA!

+13 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is what I like to see...

I'm a huge soccer fan and I try not to push it on other people.... if you don't like it, you don't like it.

But you HAVE to get excited to cheer for your country. It's like the Olympics... I don't really like watching people swim or run track but I'll be watching and cheering when I can.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+8 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Probably like a lot of Americans, there are many nuances of soccer that escape me. But I am enough of a sports fan in general that I can get the gist of a sport pretty easily. Just like the Olympics, as you said,

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'm with Woody - I don't follow soccer one whit, but I will be waving my flag and shouting "ole ole ole" or whatever you wacky futbol hooligans do these days. U S A! U S A!

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Sometimes we sing Sheena Easton's "Morning Train (Nine to Five)"...

+4 HS
stevebelliseeya's picture

I thought I was the only one. 

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

#Chills

Actually, that build up of music was enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. Sounds like something from a horror flick.

+3 HS
LexingtonBuckeye's picture

Holy cow, I almost just drop kicked my cube wall down! Let's do this! U-S-A! U-S-A!

+3 HS
rdubs's picture

Despite the clickbait headline, here is a great article on Klinsmann, reminds me of a few written about Urban in his early days at OSU in terms of the practice intensity and accountability.

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

This game is beyond important for the growth of soccer in the United States. A win vs Ghana gets the losing streak to end against Ghana and can help gain more fans with an impressive win. I can only hope that the refs do not botch the game. USA!

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Just going to chime in - seems like the good guys are overdue against Ghana.

Not a soccer guy, but definitely rooting for the home team.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
KB3RG's picture

Ghana is currently 4-0 against USA with most recent wins in 2006 (2-1) and 2010(2-1) both in World Cup 

+3 HS

So you are rooting for the Brazilians? Just pulling your chain.   USA USA USA

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Couldn't if I tried - can't even spell Portugeese, let alone cheer in the language.

But I know 'Murica...nese.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

I don't see any realistic way of advancing without a win vs Ghana. Even a draw makes it really tough.

A win here and we can draw the next 2 matches and have a good shot at advancing.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

We'll see what happens in about an hour and that will give us a good idea of whether a draw will spell doom or not.

If German and Portugal some how end in a draw (draws seem to be non-existent in this Cup so we are due for one, right?), then a draw wouldn't be terrible for the US. But it would probably mean they would have to win at least one of the remaining games to advance. 

+3 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

I really think a winner in Germany/Portugal is in our best interest. That way, beat Ghana and play for a draw in the other 2 matches and we're through.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I agree, but I'm saying if Germany and Portugal DO play to a draw and so do The US and Ghana, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

+1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Utah State's amazing version of I Believe that We Will Win 

+8 HS
Prickly_Pete's picture

As a Utah State undergrad, I participated in a few of those! Great atmosphere for college basketball!  The arena only sits about 10,000, buts its the loudest basketball venue I've ever been to.  Someone please upvote the above post for me! :)

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice find - didn't even know they cheered that before their games. 

BTW - heading to my "Appointment" around 2:30 PST. I will be out of the office for the balance of the day!

+2 HS

Luckily for me, my boss is also a former soccer player, I told him I would be out of the office this afternoon so that I could drink and cheer on America. He just gave me the nod and said drink two for me.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Pretty mild as far as trash talk goes, but here's some fuel for the fire:

" We have won twice. And as we say there is no two without three, so we want to try and beat them for the third time. We know it is going to be very difficult. They are prepared but we are also prepared. We are not thinking about what the U.S. side can do. I believe in all our players I believe in the group. If we are fit and we are all 100 percent there is no way that we aren't going to win this game." -- Andre Ayew,Ghanian player

d1145fresh's picture

I actually think this is one of the bigger games in USMNT history tonight. It seems a small tide is starting to turn towards more support for men's soccer in this country but a loss to Ghana could derail that rather quickly. I feel the casual fan hears that USA losses to Germany or Portugal and somewhat understands that loss. However if they lose to Ghana most fans don't understand how good Ghana actually is and thinks the USA sucks again at soccer.

Nonetheless, I actually think this is the best USA team there has been and I love what Klinsman is doing with the team. I think they get it done tonight. My prediction: 2-0 for the good guys with Howard having a fantastic game. Altidore gets an early one in the first half and USA adds a late goal on a counter to seal the game.

+2 HS
PG_BUCK's picture

My younger brother will be at the game, he is in Brazil for the next 20 days (lucky SOB...sorry Mom). GO USA!!!!

Go BUCKS!

+3 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

Can't wait to see what lineup Jurgen actually puts out there tonight.  All the speculation and talk can finally end, and we can see what he has been building for the past three years.  He's obviously had a vision, and I believe he's had this vision and plan in place from the start - now is the time to present it to the world.

The US have to get off to a good start.  Ghana is fast and physical, and they can be overwhelming from the first whistle if you are not prepared.  The US have prepared for this moment for months.  Must win - let's do this!  #GoGoUSA

BTW, if anyone wants a great read on a preview of what to expect tonight, check out this link from The Shin Guardian (one of the better US soccer blogs you will find).

http://theshinguardian.com/2014/06/12/tsgs-usa-vs-ghana-preview/

+1 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

I can only get into soccer during the World Cup but I'm excited for tonight. Poppin outta work at 4 to get to the bar for happy hour. AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Starting to get geeked!

+2 HS

This 11:30 Germany vs. Portugal match will be huge for our group. Looks like I'll be stumbling before the Sun sets again.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

Lets hope for a 0 - 0 game or a tie in general. With lots of yellow cards

+2 HS

Maybe even a knock for Ronaldo and Schweinsteiger.

In the World Cup anything is possible, but much is due to circumstance.  I won't complain if the stars align in the US's favor!

+1 HS
TMac's picture

Gotta have a USA WIN to keep the country interested.  As said above, if we don't win tonight, it's going to be very difficult to advance out of group play. 

USA!! USA!! USA!!

+1 HS

My preferred starting lineup at this point: a 4-3-2-1 (I'm partial to this, since I played it in HS to great results)

GK: Howard

D: F. Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley

M: Zusi, Beckerman, J. Jones

M (attacking): Bradley, Dempsey

F: Altidore

Obviously not a lot of controversy with this lineup as it was actually what was played in our last friendly, but I love having Beckerman protecting our back 4 and Bradley is going to go box to box anyway. Build from the back and get an opportunistic goal early from Clint or Jozy.

I'm getting the pregame jitters and I'm not even lacing up today. Go Go USA. One Nation, One Team.

TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

I think it's that or Bedoya for Zusi.  Will be interesting to see what kind of substitutions Klinsmann will make with the midfield.  If Beckerman comes out, I hope Zusi slides over, because I like Jones's ability to be everywhere on the field.

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

It is my birthday today. Great day to turn 26. All I want for my birthday is a win vs Ghana. I will consider that a success. Colombia already gave me an early present with a 3-0 shellacking over Greece.

LETS GO USA!!!

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

is it wrong if i dont hate, but actually like, ghana?

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

jeremytwoface's picture

Yes.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

I don't know much about soccer, but I do appreciate the elegance of the beautiful game and will be pulling for an American run.  Interestingly, I wonder if America's size is indicative of our country's relative lack-of-interest in the World Cup (at least on a global scale).  It almost feels like most countries view soccer as equally as us Midwesterners and Southerners view college football: an immense source of regional pride.  Perhaps our country's size dilutes that feeling of regional pride, making us follow our national teams with less intensity and fervor than that of other nations?

Maybe it's just me, but during the Argentina - Bosnia/Herzegovina match last night, they showed some Argentinian fans on Copacabana beach crying while watching Messi's incredible goal.  I've never followed a US team -- in the Olympics, World Cup, or anything else -- that passionately; but that's exactly how I feel when I watch Ohio State.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I'm not sure that's the case...

If you think about it, Brazil is a very large country (by land mass anyways) and they treat soccer like it's a religion.

I'm not really sure why soccer isn't as popular here in the US... I know it's growing a lot so maybe someday it will be a lot more popular. It will never be as big as football though.

hodge's picture

Good example RE: Brazil. But I wonder if Brazilians identify themselves nationally or regionally? American culture and interests tend to vary so much by region that I wonder if that dilutes our national identity. I mean, we all call ourselves American and take pride in that, but I wonder if our distinct regional segmentation makes it harder to view national sports events with the same fervor we do our regional teams. 

Then again, maybe it's just that we don't follow most internationational sports like we do Football. Basketball and Baseball both have international tournaments, but both the NBA and the MLB are considered the best leagues in the world—whereas the World Cup showcases the best soccer can offer. 

Citrus's picture

Not to sound like an arrogant American, but (always a but), we are good at many things. There are several well-springs of American pride. Our national relevance has little to do with World Cup results. Whereas, for some other nations, the cup is one of the few opportunities to shine with the word watching. Further, soccer is part of some countries national identities in a way that it simply will never be here. IE Brazil. 
Imagine if it was America v the world in  real football (btw, soccer, football, and rugby were invented simultaneously so all this "soccer is the real football" sentiment is nonsense), I bet we'd be much more interested. Football is part of our national identity in a way that soccer is not. 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Well I think that's the problem with soccer's popularity here.

People are smart enough to know that the USA isn't among the elite countries and that MLS isn't a top tier league. I think that's why a lot of people aren't as interested. 

A long run in the Cup this year might help the popularity substantially.

+3 HS

The paradigm of this group may have just shifted.  Pepe's straight red with Portugal already being down two goals is gigantic.

Germany could put a large number on Portugal and put them in a position where they are so far behind in goal differential they'd HAVE to win the next two games against the US and Ghana.  That puts their already questionable defense quite possibly under even more pressure.

Now 3-0 before halftime, Portugal's WC chances are disintegrating even more as we speak.

jeremytwoface's picture

Portugal without Pepe and without confidence is looking more and more beatable.....

Gotta play Ghana first though.

+2 HS

Absolutely.  This does not change the criticality of the result tonight for the US (and Ghana, for that matter).  Both teams now see a wide open race for the #2 position in this group.  3 points ahead of Portugal with a (likely) large goal differential advantage is a very good position to be.

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

The closest connection this team has to Ohio (as far as I'm aware) is DeAndre Yedlin who played for University of Akron. So, that's who I will be pulling for. USA!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

DeAndre is a local favorite from Federal Way, WA --- about 10 minutes from my home. The Sounders are lucky to have him. He played for Caleb Porter one of the brightest young coaches around when he played at U of Akron! Go USA

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Caleb Porter turned that program at U of A into something special. I graduated from Mount Union and now I'm in grad school at U of A, so I gotta pull for a fellow alum. I knew Yedlin was from WA, but it says a lot for how respected Porter is if he was able to recruit Yedlin all the way to Akron. Its not like Akron is a big name school, although they are now in soccer.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Loved watching the crazies at the games on TV. If you remember, during the championship season the place was nut for 90 plus minutes 

+1 HS

Group of Death has suddenly turned  into the Group of Opportunity.

+2 HS
shaggybuckeye's picture

Watch, or you're a communist!

I guess that I wish I was a communist? I can't get interested in soccer. I can appreciate the athleticism it takes and the endurance. I get more enjoyment out of watching paint dry, but because my oldest son(7) loves soccer we'll be watching...

toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Gray Box's picture
+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Too funny - thanks for posting