Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Day Four—Er, Five

11W Staff's picture
June 16, 2014 at 11:45am
89 Comments
Uber Alles

We'll have a front-page open thread for tonight's match with Ghana, but until then, enjoy a Group of Death appetizer when Germany and Portugal meet in the early game followed by a battle of two of America's sweethearts, Iran and Nigeria.

Time (ET) GROUP Matchup TV Internet
Noon G Germany vs. Portugal ESPN WatchESPN
3:00 p.m. F Iran vs. Nigeria ESPN WatchESPN
6:00 p.m. G Ghana vs. United States ESPN WatchESPN
MacG91's picture

We need Germany to win this game and next so if we beat Ghana and draw with Portugal, hopefully the Germans won't play at full strength. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Exactly.  This is going smashingly (3-Nil Krauts as I type) enough that this outcome may serve to demoralize the Portuguese.  We need to handle our own business, and this may be wishful thinking, but perhaps both USA and the Germans will be on for a cruise control draw in their final group match...I hope.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

PK!!!!!

Also, isn't this day 5 of the World Cup??

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Wilkins78's picture

I was just thinking that.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I think that was a bad call for the PK.

Read my entire screen name....

Wilkins78's picture

Nah, it was pretty legit.

For what?  He didn't trip him, he didn't run through him, he didn't pull him down.  It was two guys playing the ball.  I watched it over and over again in slow motion and saw nothing that made the German player fall other than the fact that the ball was out of his reach.

Wilkins78's picture

He obstructed and pulled him down by his arm.

Regarding obstruction, the ball was closer to and directly behind the defender, who was clearly playing the ball.

Regarding pulling down by his arm, the contact was equivalent and you should note the German player had his arm extended before that contact even occurred.  Then, there was absolutely no "pulling" down.  If anything, the German player pushed the defender over.

It was a bad call, but as it turns out didn't appear to matter, although there's no telling how that call changed the game.

Wilkins78's picture

C'mon man, what are you watching?  As soon as the right arm of the defender goes out, he is obstructing him, and then he pulls him back by the arm.  Gotze had him beat.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/germany-portugal-world-cup-penalty

You can watch it and rewatch it there.  Watch before the defenders arm goes out - that's the offensive player pushing him.  And how can you possibly say the defender is obstructing him?  That ball is directly behind the defender, within the limit where obstruction cannot be called.   The only that you could argue he had him beat was because the offensive player pushed the defender off balance, causing him to fall.  Should have been a no call, and shouldn't have been a yellow.

Wilkins78's picture

You can't shield with your arm out.  Regardless of what the offensive player did, which didn't look like much, once your arm goes out, you risk a call.  And if you're beat then you're definitely getting called. Even the article you linked says he had him beat, and that he "tugged" his arm.

I'm not saying there wasn't contact. I'm saying it was equal contact, and it was only hand checking initiated by the offensive player. You can look at over 50% of soccer in slow motion and call something that looks like that. On this big of a stage and that early in the match, that's a no call. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

You guys are still arguing over a 50/50 call that happened way earlier yesterday? The US won man lets rejoice and find something new to gripe about.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

There's no griping here.  We're discussing a call.  This is what people who enjoy the game do, they watch the game and then they analyze all of the important events that happened in the game.  I don't feel like we're going out of our way to bother you and I am not sure why you went out of your way to bother us.

Yea I'm not trying to bother anyone thats for sure. And I sure as Hell didnt go out of my way to try to do so. Call was legit. But like 90% of calls made in the World Cup you can sit and argue either way all day and nobody is really going to be right or wrong.Seems like a pretty  fruitless argument to even waste key strokes on. But to each his own and I wasnt trying to come off the way you took it. Have at it big fella.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Wilkins78's picture

This looks to be a really good game. 

thowen79's picture

Did I just hear seven nation army at the world cup??

Chief B1G Dump's picture

I actually heard it played at soccer matches long before it made its way to college football.

jeremytwoface's picture

Wow....

2-0 already.

Wilkins78's picture

Should be 3 with Khedira missing that open net.  Germany is just stacked.

Unky Buck's picture

'Merica! (also, NSFW)

+2 HS

How are the Germans so damn good at soccer?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

They may be good at soccer but their baseball team blows 

+1 HS
William's picture

Shit, was that a straight red? 

jeremytwoface's picture

Sure was.... Pepe was a freaking idiot right there.

osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I've recently come to realize that any recreation that involves Lego's is awesome...like "The Hand of God"

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That's old school Maradona - nicely done Unky

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this play last week. I know the ref was looking at it in real time and we get the benefit of replaying it over and over again, but I mean, it's so God damn obvious, lol. His other goal in that same game is just as legendary though. Kind of funny to see 2 goals like that from the same person in the same game.

Seattle Linga's picture

Rules have changed so much over the last 2-3 decades in soccer:

True story - when I was in college, we where playing a team and I was the left back defender however in high school I was the Keeper. Somehow their striker weaved around our keeper so it was just him vs. me, a defender. He went upper right corner from about 8 yards out and I drove and saved it like a goalie. They used that save when they promoted the college because it was used during the opening of the show where the Browns used to have training camp at their college.

As for me - no card at all just a penalty shot that was eventually missed !!    

+2 HS

Thats cool shit Seattle. And yes the rules have changed dramatically from what Ican tell.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Portugal has had some chances... they are just making poor decisions in front of goal.

jeremytwoface's picture

WHOA!!! RED CARD!!

Fear The Elf's picture

How good is Pepe? He's missing the US game was well.

Wilkins78's picture

Can't believe players can be so dumb during an event this huge.  So long Pepe.

KB3RG's picture

I am listening to the game at work and ESPN has cut to a commercial two times. Just so happens each time during the break Germany has scored. 

OldColumbusTown's picture

Same here - an injury to a player equals about 4-5 minutes of commercials in ESPN's view, apparently...

jeremytwoface's picture

Good news for the US I guess...

Pepe will be suspended for the US game.

Does PePe getting red carded effect his game against the USA? And is he any good?

KB3RG's picture

very good and he can't play in the next game which is against USA. Big loss for Portugal 

+3 HS

Thanks bro,looks like good news for our boys. I'm ready to see C.R. freak out and get carded now.

Unky Buck's picture

He has to sit out the next game as well. So he won't be available for the US game.

+1 HS

Wow... Pepe gone for the US match.  Portugal has had about as bad a beginning to the WC as possible.  Falling apart in front of our eyes.

Playing down a man for more than a half against this German side?  This could get ugly and very quickly.  Goal differential possibly playing a huge part in this group means this could be just the thing that helps put the US into a good position to get out of this group.

+2 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

The Iberian Peninsula is getting owned this year.

+6 HS
GoBucks713's picture

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muller is a MAN playing a children's game against boys.

-The Aristocrats!

KeithMC33's picture

Damn i missed the red card. Pepe is a good player, but he always pushes the limit when he plays. i am not the least bit surprised he was given a red.

Wow 3-0, great for the USA!!!!!

jeremytwoface's picture

3-0

This is crazy.

This will help the US on goal differential if it comes down to that with Portugal. 

+3 HS
William's picture

3-0 this is a damn blitzkrieg. 

+3 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Without Pepe back there, Portugal has no physical presence that can compete against the Germans.  Hopefully Jozy can take advantage as well.

+2 HS

Exactly.  Portugal are already thin in the back, and now losing Pepe AND possibly having to spread themselves even a little more thin against the US in order to take more attacking chances... This group just got very, very interesting.

An opportunity has presented itself to the USMNT.  Now they must take advantage and get the 3 points tonight!

+1 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

I'm sorry to break it to you guys but the only reason Portugal is playing like this is because of the respect they are showing Germany. Next Match against US with or without Pepe, Portugal will not play scared they will look to and most likely will defeat the US. I'm sorry it ijust the difference in class people, I understand many of you just started this whole football craze this month but the reality is Portugal and Germany are on a completely different Echelon then any team in the CONCACAF. With the shock of Costa Rica no one is going to take the CONCACAF lightly. I think that is Costa Rica would have lost the remaining 3 teams could have played to fool everyone but now no one will take these teams lightly. 

-5 HS

I don't think anyone is penciling in a win for the US against Portugal.  Far from it.  But, anything is possible in the WC and we've seen world class teams fall apart over much less than what Portugal have already experienced in the 1st half against Germany.

At this point, the US are in a great position because Portugal looks to be in shambles.  They can show respect to Germany all they want, but they've not been able to contain Germany even while playing more conservatively.  Their defense leaves a lot to be desired, and now will be missing Pepe.

Portugal struggled to even qualify for the WC.  They aren't anything the US have never seen before.  Opportunities are sometimes presented in a WC.  It is now the US's job to capitalize.

Squirrel Master's picture

you just said Portugal will take US lightly in your first statement. " Portugal will not play scared they will look to and most likely will defeat the US. I'm sorry it just the difference in class people". Then you say they should take no one from CONCACAF lightly because of Costa Rica. US beats the crap out of Costa Rica unless its IN Costa Rica. So if teams are concerned about Costa Rica, they should be concerned about the US (based on your logic).

I hope Portugal thinks they are not scared, because then the US can take advantage. and then if Portugal gives the US respect, this is how they look.

I think you and many are overemphasizing Portugal. Germany is a world class program, very true. I see Germany going 3-0 in the group. But Portugal is not as good as you say. In 2010 they were blanked in 3 of their 4 games, only game they scored in was against North Korea 7-0. Anyone including the US can kick the crap out of NK. Unless Ronaldo goes off, Portugal is very suspect. I have no reason to see Portugal easily defeating the US. Hell, they play this way against Ghana and they will lose.

and especially with a defender out against US next game, Portugal is not as deep as teams like Germany, Spain and Brazil. They are not that good!

You shouldn't write the next game off so easily. FYI, USA beat Portugal 3-2 in the 2002 World Cup. It has happened before, and that Portugal team was supposed to be good!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

bucknutfern4's picture

Very well thought out response. Props, but my first statement is speaking on how they played today. They played scared against Germany and they wont be scared against the US, its the truth. The Part about Costa Rica I'm saying that Uruguay didn't take them seriously. That is not my logic because im not using the transitive property. But yes those countries do outclass the US by a lot. Those are just scarlet lenses you are seeing through if you dont think so. 

-1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

I disagree completely.  Portugal is a dangerous team, though with a handful of top flight players and little depth.  Their gameplan is often flawed in big international matches, and they don't tend to play well together (though ball movement had been impressive at the start).  If Almeida can't return for the US game, that is another big loss.  Their two most dangerous players are being played out wide on the wings and haven't impacted this game at all.  While Germany is a class above, Portugal isn't necessarily there, despite Ronaldo, etc.  I think their FIFA ranking is vastly overrated (and I think the FIFA ranking system is incredibly flawed and inaccurate).  Regardless, there's nothing wrong with folks being happy about all the potential advantages that are surfacing during this game.  I doubt anyone thinks it'll be a walk in the park.  Certainly winnable though.

bucknutfern4's picture

The problem with Portugal is Bento's inability to see Almeida IS TRASH!!! In no way shape or form should this man start let alone be on the squad. And heck no im glad the US fans are getting pumped up its great to see the people finally joining in the craze. Its about time the public saw this tournament for what it really is. The greatest tournament on this Earth.

-1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

USA 3 - Portugal 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_D)

Just like any sport, its a game of match-ups and styles.  Just like other sports as well, there is momentum and the inverse to that is a demoralizing defeat to help the wheels come off (see France last cup).  Portugal far out classes USA in skill and big league experience, yes, but we could easily pull a straight win or even a draw to advance.  Obviously still a lot of matches and minutes to be played but there is no way you can make definitive statements.  Why not enjoy this favorable outcome and be positive before the Yanks even see the pitch?

BTW, I have played and/or coached for the last 28 years.  Including time on ODP, Europe and Central America.

Edit: And now injuries, to add to the red card and negative goal differential!  USMNT need to handle business against Ghana and just a draw with Portugal will be favorable at this point.

You dont think we can pack it in for a draw against a wounded and demoralized Portugal????

USA, USA, USA!

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Portugal looks like they won't even try to shoot the ball, they just want to pass it to Ronaldo. It's very entertaining to watch them get dismantled like this.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Portugal is in disarray.... 

Also, the USA needs to take some notes from this game on how to defend Ronaldo. Just get a body on him and be physical.

+1 HS

Shut down Ronaldo and you shut down Portugal. It was true in 2010 and in 2006. Although in 2006 teams didn't know they needed to shut down Ronaldo and he had a decent run. They still aren't a good overall team and can get shutdown easily.

William's picture

Oh man, if Coaentrao just pulled his groin, Portugal will be without their two best defenders. 

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Uh oh... Fabio Coentrao looks like he might be out....

Portugal defense is dropping like flies.

+1 HS

Anyone see Ronaldo go nuts on the ref?

who didn't. Very close to a yellow.

jeremytwoface's picture

Germany got away with one there... Should have been a PK.

And then Ronaldo got away with one right after... Should have been a yellow.

GoBucks713's picture

Muller again!!!

-The Aristocrats!

Jason Priestas's picture

More, Germany. More!

jeremytwoface's picture

Keep the goals coming!!

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Man, you know life's rough for Germany when they can bring in Podolsky off the bench.  So much talent.

+2 HS
William's picture

Germany's bench includes: Podolski, Draxler, Schurrle, Schweinsteiger, Klose. 

That's just insane. 

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Now on to the game that no one cares about today....

I wish we were teeing off later against Iran.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I love watching the African teams. They are always very entertaining. I do miss Drogba* (my bad!) though...

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

GoBucks713's picture

He played yesterday for his country. He didn't score, but Japan's defense changed as soon as he went in, and IC scored quickly twice.

-The Aristocrats!

Bolt's picture

Drogba stepped foot on the field the other day and within seconds the floodgates opened for Ivory Coast. It was pretty nuts. Within 10 seconds on the pitch he almost sets up a goal and then for the ensuing several minutes was causing the defense to sweat his presence and his teammates notched a couple goals as a result. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

I miss seeing him on the pitch for 90 though. He's still got the strength and quickness, just not the endurance. Best player ever on FIFA 2006 lol.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

GoBucks713's picture

Nigeria should have scored three times already. Iran's midfield are giving away the ball more than the Crew's midfield does.

-The Aristocrats!

Bolt's picture

Anything particularly notable/entertaining going on for the USA match today? 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Head out to 4th Street Bar if you are around Columbus.

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

Yeah that's where I typically go, I live right down the street in Italian Village. I think I'll be heading there for the Germany game cause I took a vacation day for the whole day. I work out at Easton so I'm just going to walk over to Fado from the office in a half hour or so. Wasn't sure if there were any big major plans anywhere.

jeremytwoface's picture

Right on... Fado should be rockin' too.

I would be at 4th Street if I could...

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

Starting line is in

4-4-2 diamond formation being used

D - Beasley, Besler, Cameron, Fabian Johnson
M - Beckerman,, Jermaine Jones,  Bedoya,Michael Bradley
F - Dempsey, Altiodore 

Quickest goal in World Cup History? Check

Wilkins78's picture

Bradley is having a rough game.

bucknutfern4's picture

Not Impressed. Nani is going to make Klinsmann regret putting Beasley back.

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

21 - 8 in shots for Ghana - this needs to be cleaned up

+1 HS