Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Day Three

11W Staff's picture
June 14, 2014 at 11:15am
42 Comments
Great Games in England–Italy History: The Battle of Taranto

Colombia–Greece and Uruguay–Costa Rica are nice warmups for today's main event. Because there's no better way to spend a Saturday night than to watch two former colonial powers struggle to avoid national embarrassment.

Time (ET) GROUP Matchup TV Internet
Noon C Colombia vs. Greece ABC WatchESPN
3:00 p.m. D Uruguay vs. Costa Rica ABC WatchESPN
6:00 p.m. D England vs. Italy ESPN WatchESPN
9:00 p.m. C Cote d'Ivoire vs. Japan ESPN WatchESPN
Unky Buck's picture

Really looking forward to the England v Italy game at 6. After a nice training run today, I'm going to order some pizza and wings and drink some heavy beer and watch some international futbol!

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

The Italy game is going to be a fun one to catch. I'm going to do a early fathers day grill out and get some of the younger generation hip to some futbol.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

We should get a good barometer of where both England and Italy stand for this World Cup. Italy has been much more  consistent throughout history but I feel like either team here has the potential to go deep or lose them all. 

Uruguay vs Costa Rica should be a good matchup. The Ticos are sneaky good but ultimately, I think Uruguay is too close to home, even without Suarez. 

Unky Buck's picture

It looks like Suarez being out may have played a role. I thought Uruguay had this one too but Costa Rica found a way....as does life on Isla Nublar

+1 HS
osu407's picture

Solid Jurassic Park reference, well done

MacG91's picture

Lets go Elephants!!

Mac..yeah

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Columbia looks strong. They are dismantling Greece

Read my entire screen name....

Jason Priestas's picture

That was ugly. Looks like the light travel for CONMEBOL teams is paying off.

Yea. For a Greek team that is supposedly strong defensively, Columbia had their way  playing 2 touch through their point men - right through the center if the field. Columbia looks poised for a run to the quarters if they can tighten up defensively. 

chicagobuckeye's picture

Light travel, but also the weather conditions. During the Italy England game they were making comments about having to practice in "rainforest" conditions and by the end of the game they all looked gassed that it's obvious that it's making an impact. 

dubjayfootball90's picture

VIVA COLOMBIA!!! Un juego demasiado controlado por el equipo Colombiano!!!

Costa Rica is not going to pull upsets committing dumb fouls like that. That was terrible, especially starting the match really making Uruguay search for offense. 

Brilliant Costa Rica. Just brilliant. 

KBonay's picture

Admittedly, not a fan of soccer.  But have the game on while eating lunch.  2 nice goal in just a few minutes.  If all the games were like this....

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

+1 for your honesty - Soccer is admittedly a hard sport to like but I love the nuances and the skill level of some of these players.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

I got your skill level right here SL

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well played K ............ I digress - Too bad flopping has become such an irritant in all sports, hockey, basketball, football, ping pong, .......

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

TICOS!

CONCACAF looking good so far. 

Gray Box's picture

Costa Rica went baby crazy.

And Uruguay shit the bed. 

BHT's picture

COSTA RICA!!!

Really looking forward to Italy and England, but think the best game of the day may have already concluded. 

Iwearmocs's picture

This England-Italy game has been pretty good so far

Agreed. Was worried it was going to be a conservative, tactical game, but after blood was drawn, its been some high quality ball. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Not a Rooney fan however he is a very good player. I hope Italy can hold this lead.

England is doubling down on Italy's point man. Have to wonder if they will continue to do this or if they will take the double and  extend them to the perimeter more. Italy has tons of space on the outside and shallow center. 

Absolutely beautiful goal. All around gorgeous. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed - beautiful is the correct adjective.

+1 HS

Sterling is playing out of his mind. Singlehandedly keeping England in it

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good point and I really like the way the match is being called. Ref not going for any of the dives so far.

+2 HS
osu407's picture

He is becoming one of my favorites, should be such a beast for them by the next cup

William's picture

The English squad for 2018 is set to be an offensive monster: Sterling, Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Barkley to name a few. 

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Am I the only one who see Rooney as an 1920s Dick Tracy gangster. Ha.

Danify's picture

Triple Post. Haha Delete.

dubjayfootball90's picture

Game ended with some atrocious crosses and touches from England...

chicagobuckeye's picture

I noted before that I think the conditions are taking a toll. 

Danify's picture

Double post* Delete.

Unky Buck's picture

In all seriousness, that was an entertaining game to me, even though it was dominated by Italy. Even being dominated, England at least had chances at the end if they would've played smarter with many of their passes.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Did you happen to see Ronnie's corner that went directly to his right and up to the fans?

Pure Shank

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

That was terrible, lol. I loved how the announcers were in awe of how bad it was lol

NashBuckeye's picture

What an incredible tournament so far! Brazil, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, and Holland all win after giving up the 1st goal.  Over 3 goals per game too.  GO USA!

+2 HS