Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Thread, Day Two

11W Staff's picture
June 13, 2014 at 12:05pm
57 Comments
Wilkins78's picture

http://deportesenvivo.univision.com/game/camern-at-mxico-on-20140613

Free Spanish language link (I couldn't get the Univision link above to work)

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

This is all that needs to be said about the first match: 

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Let's go Cameroon!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Anyone see the down right thievery on that Mexico goal? Phantom calls make this shit hard to watch. I  dont even have a dog in this fight but I hate seeing people get jobbed.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Yep, but can't find it in my heart too get to upset about Mexico getting screwed. Remember, this is the fanbase that chanted "OSAMA! OSAMA!" at our boys shortly after 9/11.

I feel that Jason but when I see people get absolutely butt sexed like that it makes me become a whiner when shit isn't going USA's way. I'd feel much better about taking one on the chin if shit like today wasn't going on.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Inconsistant officiating has to be the most frustrating part of the World Cup.

Mac..yeah

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

In my experience, inconsistent officiating is a staple of the World Cup. I try not to complain about it, because, well, at least it is consistently inconsistent...TOO MANY JUDGMENT CALLS!

However, if you complain too much, you can come off looking like this -

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

MacG91's picture

Or FIFA could just fix it? It's very difficult to put all of it to an end but they can reduce a large amount of it if they put forth the effort. 

Mac..yeah

jamesrbrown322's picture

I think FIFA kinda likes leaving the possibility of paying off the refs open...

Seriously, is there a dirtier sports governing body that FIFA?

+1 HS

Until replay is added to goal type of situations  the corruption will continue to thrive.

OSUBias's picture

FIFA is as corrupt as they come, top to bottom. Replay ain't fixing that problem.

Shitter's full

+2 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Wow, that was a huge blown offsides call.

+1 HS

Holy shit dude this back judge needs to meet the los Zetas.

-1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Yeesh, I think I counted four defenders that stopped running after that first shot.  Lazy defending.

Wilkins78's picture

Bahahaha, goal line technology shot, just in case you weren't sure that one went in.

Hey at least they made some improvement. Remember Lamparts shot that went in and came back out? I cant even remember if  England or Germany won the match the only thing I remember is a legit goal wasnt counted.

Wilkins78's picture

Definitely, Germany won 4-0 or 4-1 I think. 

+1 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Vamos cabrones!!!! It's going to be a beautiful month people. 

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Holy shit, that flop....

LEBRON

stevebelliseeya's picture

WHAT A SAVE HOLY SHIT

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+1 HS

Holy shit that 90 minute save was a thing miracles are made of.

Squirrel Master's picture

I still think Brazil is the best in that group and Croatia is the second best. Mexico should have won 3-0 in that game. If this comes down to goal differential, Mexico could be screwed.

Cameroon doesn't play that well as a team. They seem to be more independent athletes going one-on-one a lot. They do strike fast though. Mexico got lucky at the same time they got hosed.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

jamesrbrown322's picture

The REAL El Tri!

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

fun game to watch. two more good ones on tap. I love the world cup, especialmente en Univision!!!

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Spain is about to show why this game is great.

+1 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

True, but still rooting for the underdogs!

+1 HS

Me too but I have a feeling a statement is about to be made.

Jesus H I hate being so ass backwards wrong but this is the one time it feels so damn good. A statement has been made alright.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

i hate arjen robben

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

William's picture

I'm a huge soccer fan and have played all my life, but when I see him run, the only thing that comes to mind is "field fairy." And no that isn't a comment meant to portray any sort of homophobic prejudice, he just looks like a fairy running across the field.  

BuckeyeCrew's picture

He really doesn't give  a crap.

Oh, and "field fairy" just happens to be one of the best in the world, at playing one of the most difficult sports in the world.  If you can't appreciate his pace and skill displayed against Spain...

oh boy.big shot coming up

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS

WOW!!! Beautiful goal

+1 HS
William's picture

I despise van Persie, his knees are made of glass, but I despise Spain even more for their diving. Diego Costa went down in the box like he was hit by a .50 when Vlaar barely grazed him. 

Man that was an exciting equalizer.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Van Persie may have well just had the goal of the tournament.

What a ball, what a run, and damn what a finish! 

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Danify's picture

Favorite Manchester United player is Robin van Persie as I've had his jersey for years now. It also helps I'm Dutch, so I have an rooting interest in both the United States and Netherlands. Brilliant header.

+2 HS

Wow folks this is exciting.

Well I tell you what this is the most  exciting team I have watched in a while. I found my second favorite team to root for.

osu07asu10's picture

That last goal is all on Casillas

EDIT: Now, that one was for sure on Iker!!

They are making Spain their b****. I love it!!!

+1 HS

WOW!!! Netherlands are on another planet right now

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

So Spain's offense = diving in the box? Got it.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

I think we've found the new favorite for the Cup this year.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Weird to think that Team USA is ranked higher than the Netherlands... 

We all know those rankings aren't bullshit.

LEBRON

+1 HS
BHT's picture

Here is my thought on the Netherlands win today: If a team that was predicted to finish third (by most experts) in the group dismantled the defending champions, why can't the United States survive the group of death. I think today showed that upsets are possible in the biggest way and I strongly believe the Netherlands will be a contender for this years world cup and the United States will get to the Round of 16 (at least).

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I agree with your overarching theory but look who came to play for Netherlands today...

Robben, 30 yr old, experience in 04, 08, 12 Euro Cups and 06 and 10 World Cups...

Van Persie, 30 yr old, perience in 04, 08, 12 Euro Cups and 06 and 10 World Cups...

Point being, this Netherlands team is anchored by the same core that has made them an insanely talented team but aggravating as all hell to watch. It looks like they are finally putting it all together.

The US doesn't have that kind of leadership outside of Howard (US keeps are always strong) and Beasley who is even questionable to start for the US.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, Dempsey and Altidore also have had experience and success in WC and at club level...

BHT's picture

I see your point but this (and Costa Rica winning today shows that we should not count out any team, even one that has the toughest road (or one of the toughest) in the world cup.

lippertini's picture

Not saying the US won't, but:

a) FIFA rankings are about as reliable as pre-season college rankings, since they count friendly matches.

b) The Netherlands finished third at the last World Cup, and in general produce far more quality at the very top (Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder etc) as well as more overall depth (starters for big European clubs, Fulham or Everton don't count) than does the US.

We aren't in their league, unfortunately.  But, that doesn't mean we couldn't get a lucky bounce or two, or play a couple games above our pay grade.  I'll certainly be hoping...

You can't spell chump without UM's picture

Iker Casillas, one of the world's best goalkeepers, looked like a total chump today. (And this is from a Real Madrid supporter.)

The Netherlands looked fantastic today.

Brady Hoke ate my comment

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Robben absolutely gutted Spain.  Spain allowed WAY too much space and the Dutch had a ton of time on the ball.  They should have put a body on Robben as soon as he touched the ball.  The Dutch touch just flat out smacked the smug right out of the Spanish squad.

Lets go Chile! Real pumped for this game!

Chile looking like contenders early.

Go1Bucks's picture

The Netherlands bitch slapped Spain today - if not for the refs, it woulda been a shut out!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS