Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Cup Open Forum

Seattle Linga's picture
June 11, 2014 at 9:12pm
57 Comments

I didn't see one yet so I figured I'd throw one up! Tomorrow kicks it all off with the home team Brazil facing Croatia - Good luck to all the country's and let's hope it's a blast to watch!

Seattle Linga's picture

I know we are in the Group of Death but I am such a homer and hope we don't disappoint.

+8 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

If you aren't a homer during the world cup, you need to move.

+5 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Injury issues in Deutschland and Portugal have me very hopeful. I was thinking a 1-1-1 record  and having a goal differential better than Portugal to get us in was a best case scenario. Now I'm beginning to think that maybe we can win a couple matches. And if you aren't rooting for the USMNT, you are not patriotic. Don't think of it as rooting for a soccer team. Think of it as rooting for your country!

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
45OH4IO's picture

No one gave the American Revolution a chance either, but we aren't speaking the Queen's English now are we? 'Murica.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Last Cup with this core. Sad that Donovan couldn't make one more run with Dempsey and Howard, but still so thankful to have witnessed everything that they have done for the perception of American players, and US Soccer as a whole.

I am holding out hope that this is the WC where Jozy breaks through and Dempsey gets comfortable and leads them to an upset over Germany or Portugal, and into the knockout rounds. You never know. How many of us expected what happened in 2002?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Yes, hope Jozy balls hard...finally. 

I think Matt Besler is going to have himself a big World Cup and earn himself a hefty European contract. 

I am optimistic The US and A can get out of the group...and then who knows, anything can happen. 

+1 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Even though Jozy has scoring droughts, he always works hard. It has been his hard work that has gotten a lot of others fantastic chances.

In the Prem League, Sunderland were in the fight of their lives to avoid relegation and Jozy's hard work got the penalty shot that gave them a huge win late in the game & season to grab 3 points. That's just one example of his work helping his team.

Plus, if you ever listen to his interviews, he has a fantastic attitude and mindset. Glad he's on the USMNT, no matter how he does.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

IMO, these guys have been the three greatest American soccer players of all time. Hell, they even liked them in the premier league!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Howards great but Friedel has had one hell of a career as well, which is surprisingly still in tact at Tottenham. Donovan played well for Everton but I wouldn't say he was a fixture in the Premiership (17 appearances over the course of 3 years with only 2 goals). He had a very short stint at Bayern Munich on loan but didn't do much. Dempsey has had a similar career to Brian McBride, but with more goals, so you'd have to say Dempsey over McBride, but thats a tough call. Of the three, you've mentioned, Donovan has had arguably the weaker career (17 premiership appearances to Howard's 300+ [Combined between Everton and Manchester United] and Dempsey's 200+ at Fulham and Tottenham). Donovan owns MLS, while I think Dempsey and Howard are more world-class type of players.

+3 HS
BuckeyeCrew's picture

We'll get out of the group stage, against nearly everyone's predictions. This team is a heck of a lot better than most think; it's the most well-conditioned USA squad I've seen.  That counts for plenty, when trying to neutralize superior talent.

Plus.. Portugal is so over-rated (not because they lack talent), that it's absurd to think the USA won't just beat them, but will hammer them.  Maybe 2-0 or 3-1.

+2 HS
Urbanmania's picture

How can that not get you pumped? And why don't we do this before Buckeye home games?

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

Video gave me goosebumps!

If USA can get past Ghana in the first match up, they have a shot to advance. Portugal is a great team but Christiano is coming off a leg injury. Will be interesting to see how healthy he is and his fitness level. I think Germany takes the Group and the runner up I am leaning to Portugal instead of USA , only if Christiano is healthy.

My guess Spain going on to beat Argentina in the final.

dubjayfootball90's picture

Absolutely awesome video

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

DJ Byrnes's picture

BEER WE GO STARS AND STRIPES

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

GoBucks713's picture

We should have an 11W meetup for the first game against Ghana!

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

We just landed and we are all waiting for you 713 !!!

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

FADO @ Easton

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Ole, ole, ole, ole!  Feel bad for the soccer haters, because enduring the off-season just got a whole lot easier.

+2 HS

Neymar from Brazil hurt himself in warm ups. Limping around, probably won't linger though.

Rooting for USA and Colombia.

GO USA!!!
VAMOS COLOMBIA!!!

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Im going to root for The United States, but i can't wait to watch the greats play. Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Rooney, etc.

Buckeye fan from PA

William's picture

Would love for Brasil's overrated ass to get dumped in the opening match. 

talk about potential riots...

KB3RG's picture

Well Croatia takes the early lead by a Brazil own goal...

Gray Box's picture

Own gooooooooaaal:

buckguyfan1's picture

Listening on the radio while driving. ... This Scottish sounding dude is hilarious.  

DJ Byrnes's picture

Marcelo is my least favorite Brazilian. Still think they win this tho.

This game is freaking good

Wilkins78's picture

If anyone wants to watch online and doesn't have watchESPN access, you can watch it free (in Spanish) at http://deportesenvivo.univision.com/game/croacia-at-brasil-on-20140612

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice find they have the entire W.C. on line for free

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

This will be me for the next month:

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

If Brazil loses this game it has potential to ruin the rest of the World Cup for everyone traveling. That place can get nasty very quickly.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Just as I wrote this they were gifted a goal. Funny coincidence.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

take it back take it back.

If anything this is showing that Brazil is beatable as this Croatia team is beat up and missing 4 of their guys from their roster

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Geez. I'm just ten minutes into watching the world cup and they are already flopping to get a penalty shot and steal a game.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Horrendous penalty call that.  Thought better of that Japanese ref before that. Wonder what revue will say.  Only, the cynical side of me thinks that they were worried the Host team was gonna lose and create more issues for the nation. Hmmm. Oh well, onward and upward.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good point Brazil is not as good as they have been in the past and an epic meltdown would have ensued. Croatia is a good team.

+3 HS
GulfCoastBuck's picture

Not that I'm a FIFA referee, but I am a high graded USSF referee, and I promise you that referee will not see another game at The World Cup after that penalty call. In addition to that horrid decision on the penalty, he managed the rest of the game very poorly.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Wish we could send you in.  Your revue was dead on imo.  Ole!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

if i was croatia playing fifa, im not sure my tv would exist after that 20 second swing that made it 3-1.

Go1Bucks's picture

Plus 1 for you DJ!

Go Bucks!

BUCKfutter's picture

turned it on in about the 65th minue and i've already seen enough flopping and terrible officiating to the point where i suspect corruption. hello again, FIFA old friend. here's hoping anyone but the quartet of diving squads (brazil, italy, spain, portugal) can pull this thing out.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

It shouldn't have been a penalty, but let's not act like diving is a uniquely-soccer phenomenon.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Can't remember but it was either A-rod or Jeter that acted hurt after the pitch hit the handle nub and they went down like a bag of dirt. Replay was hilarious and a complete embarrassment.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Bingo - Hearing Michael Kays voice makes me ....  Thanks for the find. Hilarious how Maddon gets thrown out by an umpire that is completely wrong in his call and unwilling to ask for help.

+2 HS

Mexico just got robbed of a goal on a phantom offsides. This is the shit that ruins the sport. Scoring is already at a premium for us fans and then something exciting happens and we have refs either with their thumb up their ass or an agenda.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I was on the road - didn't see the offsides but I will watch the highlights. Did they show a reply that showed him on-sides?

+3 HS

Yea big time..One goal erased was for sure a bad call.  The second goal they erased I didnt get a good enough angle to see if the ball was headed but it also looked like a horrible call. 2 goals erased for Mexico. Some where a Cartel has a brief case full of a million dollars racing for a contract to take care of this same back judge.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I used to live right near Juarez and I am well aware of their Drug Mexican cartel. 

+3 HS

Wow man you just getting more mysterious by the day. Living anywhere within an hour radius of Juarez makes you a lot tougher human then I am. And I have a few years in on one of the toughest Ohio correctional facilities around.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Was that you I saw hanging outside the Mansfield Prison?

+2 HS

Hah might have seen me doing pullups on the yard or running the track but cant say I stuck around to hangout outside of the walls. In reality though I was in Noble way out in the sticks. No hospitals close by so it was a daily occurrence to see the helicopter come in and life flight people out.

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture

Finally a goal scored in this World Cup that counts and was NOT by Brazil!

+1 HS
warosu's picture

Do not like our uniforms. It makes us look like croatia
and Russia,more stars and stripes PLEASE!!!!????

Seattle Linga's picture

Nice find Gray --- what tourney is this photo from?

+1 HS