Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Trade value for Carlos Santana

bucked up's picture
June 10, 2014 at 9:27pm
23 Comments

Is there anything the Tribe can get for this guy? At the very least I'd like to see him in a reduced role as the season continues. I think he might be one of the worst all-around players in baseball. Can't catch, can't call a game for the pitcher, awful in the field, no speed, can't hit for power or average. Hoping the tribe can rid themselves of this albatross sooner rather than later

hodge's picture

I'll wager he's worth a "Soul Sacrifice".

+2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

They could get at least 7 Bonamassas or 2 David Gilmours, or maybe 2 Townsends, a Hubert Sumlin and a Keith Richards.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

I haven't really been following baseball this year and I am a Reds fan  but I thought Santana was considered to have a very bright future..

-1 HS
BuckminsterFullback's picture

His season is off to a horrible start, that's for sure. 

But he's been a terrific offensive player in the previous 4 seasons, he's still just 28, and his salary is reasonable. Because of his bad start, I expect him to finish the year with the worst numbers of his career, but it's reasonable, based on past performance, to expect him to post good numbers the rest of the way.

Buck Commander's picture

Two George Michaels and a Boy George

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

TraSmith4's picture

Trade him to Korea for her...

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Wife getting annnoyed with me...

"Just watching some baseball, hon..."

+4 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Would.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

acBuckeye's picture

She certainly gets my vote over this guy:

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

As a non-baseball fan, this was very confusing. Seriously though, how awesome would it be to have Carlos Santana on your team?

+1 HS
Boom777's picture

I would trade him for a Big Mac and a large fry at this point...

Wherever you are, there you be!

bigtenspeed's picture

The whole infield is making tons of errors this year. I don't see that improving but i do expect his hitting to turn around. In fact he's been hitting much better since he returned from the DL. I agree he's not meeting the high expectations we've had since he signed long term but the back of his baseball card isn't bad and I expect him to return to that.

Who fills his spot in the order if we trade him? Do you trust that Aviles can keep hitting the way he has? I'd rather keep him unless some team is willing to make a ridiculous trade, which I doubt.

bigtenspeed's picture

Hitting .294 with 2 hr and 8 rbi in the last 10 games so maybe he's made the turn?

+3 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

It would be amazing to see them get a guy like David Price.  A man can hope...

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Fortunately, the rest of the team is hitting well enough right now to cover his struggles. I think he'll turn it around soon, he just seems to be trying too hard at the plate. Chisenhall, Brantley, and Kipnis can pretty much carry the team for now. 

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

ESPN projecting he finishes the year with the same .176 avg. that he has now. Its too bad BBs dont count towards average because he walks a lot.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

ESPN doesn't know sh*t about f*ck.

+3 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

I doth reckon you have a good point, sir

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

RBuck's picture

Santana has started slow the past few seasons. He'll get hot pretty soon.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Buckeyebrowny919's picture

First 45 games of the season I would just automatically write him off as an out and be surprised for anything more. This last stretch the Tribe had I saw him making a turn into being more productive. It has to keep up though.

That 3rd (4th) inning last night was rough and we need to shore up the infield. Giving up 2 double plays (either one able to end the inning) is a backbreaker. Hell..giving up 9 runs to a troubled Royals team along with multiple HRs is nauseating. We can't always score our way out of problems. We HAVE to play some frickin D.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The other night when the Tribe scored 17, he still went like 0 for 5 or something.  I don't know what happened to this guy, but it takes a special kind of slump to do that.  Or he just had a bad night.  I don't know...don't follow it that closely.

Class of 2010.

Baroclinicity's picture

In all seriousness, I wouldn't give up on him yet.  And while he may not be hitting for power now, yes, he does hit for power.  Just look at the shift.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

RBuck's picture

Santana has raised his batting average from .176 to .216 in the past 2 weeks.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)