Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Cleveland Cavaliers - 2014 NBA Draft - Official Thread

Danify's picture
May 30, 2014 at 3:36pm
84 Comments

Decided to add an thread for any Cavalier fans to say their opinions on who they should take #1 overall. Personally, I'm torn as Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins are all excellent choices at #1.

I'm skeptical with Embiid as his back issues have me cautious for the Cavaliers to selection a person with back problems. Jabari Parker is an solid choice who has the highest basketball I.Q. out of the three, along with size and shooting ability. Lastly, Andrew Wiggins has superstar potential written on him with his athleticism and shooting ability.

Anyways, enjoy the thread and as the rumors will be flying for the next few weeks till the NBA Draft.

TraSmith4's picture

Wiggy all day!!! Safest and smartest pick!!!

+3 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

IF THEY CLEVELAND DONT DRAFT ARRON CRAFT IN THE SECOND ROUND THEN THEYRE SO STUPID

-6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!!!

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

WHY ARE YOU YELLING WHEN YOU ASK HIM WHY HE WAS YELLING???

-1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

BECAUSE I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF TALK OVER THE YELLING!!!!

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+4 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

I don't know what Craft does that Dellavedova doesn't....plus Delly is a better shooter.

+1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Anyone who downvotes the above is too much of a homer and letting their love cloud their reason... I love Craft as well but I understand what he was: An exceptional college bball player on the defensive side of the ball. The Dellavedove comment is a valid point.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Im with ya on Wiggins but there are some who love to go against the grain and want Parker. I dont think either would be a bad choice though but Wiggins defense has me solidly in his corner.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Doesn't matter cause LBJ is coming back, right? Haha sorry. Couldn't help myself.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

-1 HS
MacG91's picture

Wiggins. Anything else would be stupid. But then again they did draft Bennett first overall. 

Mac..yeah

+6 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

What MAC said. x10.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Wiggins all day.

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Jabari Parker is my choice.

+3 HS
edr4225's picture
+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Jabari Parker. He seems like a good dude. The Cavs need more quality people in the locker room. 

+3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

The minute I think to myself that the Cavs can't possibly screw up this draft, I think to myself, well, Anthony Bennett...

Baroclinicity's picture

At the same time, who should they have drafted?  Yes, I know any may have been better, but aside from Oladipo which wasn't a #1 on most boards, they most likely would have whiffed anyways.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+4 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

And Oldipo is pretty similar to Waiters anyways. Not enough basketballs for a trio of Kyrie-Waiters-Oladipo.

Only player worth #1 overall last year was a healthy Nerlens Noel. Obviously, he wasn't healthy.

sandytowne's picture

Agreed.  Cavs tried like heck to trade out of number one last season but no one wanted that pick.  One of the worst lotteries of all time.  Not going to kill them for the Bennett pick as a result.

RedStorm45's picture

Trade the pick (with Bennett) + whatever else to Minnesota for K. Love.  Kyrie, Love, LeBron??  One can dream.

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

That would be amazing to see him with Uncle Drew but the problem is that Love wouldn't agree to sign the long term extension so why trade the number one overall pick for a guy who might only stay for one year. The only way he might sign an extension is if somehow he knew for sure that LBJ was coming back. But yeah you are right that one can dream :) 

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Deep draft. Trade down. 

Edit:  ok so I guess I need to explain this or something?  I don't like wiggins or Parker. They are talented but young and I'm not sure how their measurables will fit in the NBA. Parker can't play defense. Both go on incredibly long cold streaks. They could develop, but so could other players on this draft. Embid is too much of an injury risk. 

I think guys like Randall, Gordon or even Payne could fit in very well on the Cavs with what they need.  So in my opinion, its a deep draft with a lot of value beyond the top 3 picks. Trade down, try to build the future and take a player that may be less valued at the moment. 

Read my entire screen name....

-5 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
-2 HS
luckynutz's picture

Not to ruffle any feathers, but embiid and his back are reminiscent of oden and his knees. Besides, cleveland needs an athletic wing who can score, shoot and defend. Or a guy to run a pick and pop game with kyrie. Wiggins is a freak athlete with a solid offensive game and can guard anybody. Parker would be dynamic in a pick and roll with kyrie...two dukies running a two man game. Or...as was already mentioned, try and leverage the pick into kevin love and a later pick.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Not a Cavs fan, but I would take Wiggins.  Has the highest ceiling of the three and a pretty high floor.  For some reason, I don't see Parker being a transcendent player.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Lastly, Andrew Wiggins has superstar potential

So does Parker.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

I don't think so. In my opinion, to be a superstar means you have to be able to excel on both sides of the court. Parker will be a very good player but I don't see superstar potential in him. 

to be a superstar means you have to be able to excel on both sides of the court.

Tell that to Rose, Barkley, and Magic.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-2 HS
OSU069's picture

There are some exceptions. And I never considered Rose a superstar. He played like it for only one season in his entire career. 

+1 HS

There are some exceptions.

There are plenty of examples of superstars that are average or terrible on defense.

He played like it for only one season in his entire career.

The last two seasons he has been injured. A MVP not a superstar? That's a laugh.

OSU069's picture

He didn't deserve the MVP. 

+1 HS

Then who did?

OSU069's picture

Lebron. Just look at the numbers. The only reason that he didn't win the MVP that year is because everyone didn't like him. 

+1 HS

Lebron.

-_-

The only reason that he didn't win the MVP that year is because everyone didn't like him. 

You're right. It had nothing to do with Rose carrying the Bulls while Noah, and Boozer were out. :/

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

I think it has definitely been shown starting in the ECF that same year, that Lebron is way better than Rose. 

It also showed the he played with a HoFer, and an All-Star. And by your logic, Dirk should have won the award.

Anyway, the ECF has nothing to do with what happened in the regular season.

OSU069's picture

Fine. Regular season stats from that year, Lebron averaged 26.7 PPG, Derrick Rose averaged 25.0, Lebron shot 51% from the field, Rose shot 44.5% from the field, Lebron averaged 7.0 assists and Rose averaged 7.7 assists, Lebron averaged 7.5 rebounds and Rose averaged 4.1 rebounds. We already know who the better defender is. Rose averaged a little more assists while Lebron averaged significantly  more rebounds, scored more points, and shot a way higher percentage from the field. The regular season alone still showed that Lebron was a better player than Rose. The playoffs that year just further confirmed that they made the wrong decision. 

Which team had the best record? Chicago. Who was largely responsible for that? Rose. The prior season the Bulls had won 41 games. In the 2010-11season they won 62. In the 2010-11 season Miami only won 11 more games than they had the previous year. It's not that hard to figure out.

If the MVP was just about being the best player, MJ would have 8.

OSU069's picture

And maybe he should have 8.. They gave it to others because they didn't want to give it to MJ every year. 

Iwearmocs's picture

Embiid if his back checks out.  Otherwise Wiggins.  Trade everything except kyrie and the number 1 pick for Love if he signs an extension.  

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Noooooo.  7 footers (not named Shaquille) don't make championship building blocks.

+1 HS
Iwearmocs's picture

Ones named Hakeem do.  And That's who Embiid is compared to.

+4 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Perhaps back in the 1990s NBA...

+1 HS

In todays NBA as well. There isn't a current big close to Hakeem's level. Replace Hibbert with Hakeem, and Indy wins the East.

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I'm skeptical this kid is Hakeem. If he is, yeah I take him.

I misunderstood what you were saying. My bad.

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Or Garnett. Or Duncan. Or Nowitzki. Or Bosh. Or Gasol.

sandytowne's picture

Tim Duncan would like a word.  

Fear The Elf's picture

Between future 1sts, young players and cap relief, Cavs have a decent amount of assets. Can't trade #1 for Love unless he commits to signing longterm. Even then, we'd need a little salary relief from Minny.

Outside of Kyrie and #1, I would give everything for Love.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Wiggins.  And trade Irving.  He is not going to sign anyways.

-2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I guess no one likes the "trade Irving" idea...

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I do.

Just say no to italics abuse.

Depends on what you're getting back. If you can get a top 2-3 pick, i'd go for it.

+1 HS

They like that idea more than trading the top pick for a later first round pick and another future pick (see above). 

If the Cavs were going to trade their #1 pick, it should have been last year.

I said the same thing last year but for different reasons. There wasn't much talent last year. I do agree. 

However this year there's so much talent that I think they could swing it. That and the fact that I'm not sold on Wiggins or Parker or embiid. I would at least test the waters, you never know what they could get. 

I just don't see Parker being just another guy.

He'll be a good player but I dont think he's a guaranteed all star. He doesn't play defense. Maybe not a huge deal in the NBA. But both wiggins and him went on long cold streaks, were absent from entire games and were not really that clutch. Could they get there?  Absolutely!  But in this draft there are a lot of guys that could. 

Obviously we rate the players differently, and that's fine.  But I think there's so much value in this draft that we have a chance to build for the future and get a high caliber player, instead of just getting a high caliber player. 

PittBuckeye's picture

According to all reports they tried desperately to get rid of that pick, and just couldn't get any value for it at all. The problem was the fans aren't the only ones who knew it was a weak draft and nobody was going to give up a high first this year for that pick.

Seattle Linga's picture

J.P. for me - future is so bright but getting K. Love in a 1st pick deal - I would respect that if they can pull it off.  

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Look at the team who has won 2 straight championships. They don't have good true big men yet they're still good. I feel like that should eliminate Embiid right away. Then out of Parker and Wiggins who can help the most right away and has the least bust potential? I'd say Parker because he's the most NBA ready out of the 2. So I'd personally take Parker but I'd be more than fine with Wiggins

Lawver_5's picture

The heat don't have a big man but they have the best player on the planet, and two other stars on the team, so they don't exactly need an elite 7 footer.

+1 HS
ITWASME's picture

I'm just saying I don't think it's worth it to draft a player with as much injury potential as star potential when they don't NEED him

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

What happened to B1G_DEAL, aka OSUFORLIFE?

He gone already?

He cracked me up, too bad. Must have been the comment about Craft should be drafted in the 2nd round by Cleveland. I actually love that idea.

-2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Does Kyrie have any ongoing relationship with Duke program? I'm wondering if maybe he already has a relationship of some kind with Parker? Just asking ....not alleging.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good point - I guess time will tell as we get closer to the draft.

+2 HS
Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

JABARI PARKER

" I'm a Buckeye "

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Embiid, supposedly his back isn't really going to be an issue going forward, and he could be the best center in the league in 4 or 5 years. You don't pass that up I don't think. If Wiggins was bigger, or had the frame to become Lebron size thats another story. 

It sucks to pass on Jordan, but if you get Hakeem and you have Irving you're just fine. The only thing you can't do is take Sam Bowie.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

False. If you know you're getting Jordan you take Jordan 100 out of 100 times.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Ryan Leaf vs. Drew Bledsoe 

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I would agree, but that wasn't what I was saying. I was saying if Wiggins turns out to be Jordan (or Exum or Parker for that matter) if you get Hakeem you're ok. If you get to go back in 6 years and re-draft it then yes if Wiggins turns out to be Jordans taller longer twin then you absolutely draft him. That isn't guaranteed, and you can't be to mad if you get Hakeem out of the deal.

And the only thing the Cavs absolutely can't get in this draft is Ryan Leaf. And I'm not ready to call our friend Anthony that big of a bust yet, if he stays healthy and is in shape all year and doesn't bump his stats significantly then I'll jump ship.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Hopefully the Cavs won't bust this draft just due to pure probability ...they've been at the top with little to show for it far too many times

WesPatterson23's picture

I honestly think the Cavs are building their team around Lebron's return. So, with that said, I don't think they will want to draft a high potential SF. I think they trade to get Kevin Love, and then draft a big man in Embiid (remember they said Sully would have back problems too). Then go after LeBron, and if he decides to come back, he will bring people from Miami with him.

sbentz4's picture

As far as I'm concerned there are only three future starters on this team: Irving, Thompson and Bennett with waiters as a sixth man. If you want to go small, then you need a 3 so you have to take parker or wiggins. However, Parker helps you more now IMO.

jestertcf's picture

They should just take the best player available. They are still unsure if Kyrie is going to resign.

I wouldn't if I were him, and as a Cavs fan it pains me to say that.

~Because we couldn't go for three~

OK, the one thing the cavs CAN NOT do is trade the #1 pick for Love. It would be so cleveland to trade #1, Waiters and Thompson for Love. LBJ doesn't opt out, Love leaves in a year, Kyrie leaves in two, and Griffin is left holding his dick in his hand...

What they should do:

1) Draft Embid at #1. (If his back checks out there is not a single player in the league with his skill set. He'll be the best C in the league in 3 years) I'd be fine with Wiggins or Parker, but good God did you see Embid's workout!

2) Offer Minn any 4/5 other assets they want for Love. A reasonable offer would be Waiters, Bennett/Thompson, Memphis's #1, and a future unprotected first from us. Minn is crazy if they think they get anything near that good from any other team. No bad team with a high pick this year will trade for him because he wont resign with them. The Lakers would but they have no young prospects. The only other team that makes sense is Boston. 

3) Make the same offer to Mil and Philly, for #2 or #3 and a contract they want to dump. Then draft one of Wiggens/Parker. 

4) If none of the above trades happen, work free agency desperately for your SF. Melo/Gay/Deng and others.

Best case scenario lineup (With option 2)- Kyrie, Miles, SF to be named, Love, Embid

next best (With option 3)- Kyrie, Miles, Wiggins, Bennet/Thompson, Embid

Next (with option 4) - Kyrie, Waiters, SF to be named, Thompson, Embid

PittBuckeye's picture

Option #3 isn't on the table, neither of those team is ran by complete morons, otherwise that is absolutely the move and you take Wiggins and Embiid, and have a good shot of having 3 HOF players (If they all develop as expected) but that isn't going to happen.

The problem with Embiid is how he'll do against 7 foot centers every week who are bigger and stronger than what he's played against, and can he put on the weight he has to and stay as athletic as he is. And being the top center in the league isn't all that impressive at the moment, Patrick chewing isn't exactly hanging around.

I dont know, I think waiters, thompson/bennett, and two unprotected firsts are a pretty good return for the #3 pick. Either way, Embid is the real deal. You say he'll have trouble with bigger, stronger,7 footers like they grow on trees. Name a 7 footer who is as big, and as strong, and as skilled as Embid. Howard? Maybe 3 years ago, but not with his knee issues. Hibbert? He couldn't throw a rock in the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship. Noah? Not as big. You're right, being the best center in the league doesn't necessarily mean a lot right now. But it does if you're Hakeem Olajuwon and everyone else a stiff never-will-be. 

PittBuckeye's picture

I'm not saying he will struggle against them, I'm saying I haven't seen him go against anyone like that. In college he could have huge games on size and athleticism alone. How's he do with Thiago Splitter covering him? Or Dwight, or Noah (since you mention it), and yes you mentioned Roy and while I have some faith that he could in fact hit the ocean at least 40% of the time, how does Embiid deal with him when he has to try and score on him?

Howard? Maybe 3 years ago, but not with his knee issues.

You're confusing Dwight with Bynum. Despite getting eliminated, Howard had a great series against Portland.

+1 HS
jBarnes's picture

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”  ― Douglas Adams

-3 HS
CentralFloridaBuckeye's picture

I'd go with Wiggins.  I think he has the highest upside plus can contribute big time right away!

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I'm gonna go with Mark Titus as my sleeper pick.