Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Josh Gordon only facing 6 games??

buckeyecityterror's picture
May 22, 2014 at 8:14am
32 Comments

http://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/2618qt/josh_gordon_to_face_maxim...

Not sure if i did the link right so i apologize in advance if it doesn't work.

From the sound of this it actually looks optimistic for him at this point, would explain why the Browns didn't overreact to his suspension and didn't go out and draft a receiver. And explain why he is able to practice with the team right now, instead of being banned at this point. Thoughts?

jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah I had read about this when it first happened....

The drug policy is basically set up in 3 stages... a failed test WHILE IN the 3rd stage brings on the harshest punishments (year long ban). According to reports, Gordon was in Stage 2 before this last failed test. In order to move in to Stage 3, you have to fail two tests which Gordon has done. 

So from what I understand from it, Gordon has just now moved into "Stage 3" and if he fails one more test, he will be banned for an entire year. But this last test can only get him a maximum of 6 games.

The bigger question, though, is if the Browns organization wants to keep someone like that around on their roster. At this point, I would think they could get some pretty good trade value from Gordon even with a 6 game suspension. But if he fails another test, he'll be mostly un-tradeable (tradable?)..... at least not for good value.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I disagree about trade value.  At this point, Gordon is a liability for any team.  If he can stay clean for a year, then ship him out next year if you still think there's a problem and hope to get a better value for a good player that has "turned it around".  But at this point, I don't think he'd be considered a value to any team.

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

He's a liability, yes. But he's not worth nothing in trade value... And we have seen teams take chances on players who are a liability.

I'm really not sure what I would do in their position... As a Browns fan, I love having a player like Gordon on the team... it's incredible. To do what he did last year with the QB talent he had throwing him the ball was unbelievable. But if he is stupid enough to fail this past test, he is probably stupid enough to fail another... Why not get something out of him now while you can?

-1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Add in a dependable #2 and slot WR  w/ Cameron and you have a pretty scary receiving corps when Gordon is playing.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

buckeyeotaku's picture

i feel bad for thinking this way but it's gambling right now, do you cut your losses and trade him or should you double down and play out your hand by keeping him ? i think it'll all depend on the offer! if they're not gonna get anything for him might as well play it out. as long as they have a plan to disassociate themselves if he screws up again.

We don't give a damn for the whole state of Bichigan

I don't think you trade away a talent like that. In reality, he's possibly the best reciever in the league tied with calvin johnson and aj green, just based on what we've seen and his potential. Josh Gordon has the physical ability to be the #1 reciever anywhere in the NFL for 10 years. Just needs to put it together. Also, he's not getting paid a ton of money. Thanks for the reply, would upvote if i could.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I agree with you about the talent....

At some point, though, how big of an idiot you are takes precident over how much talent you have. Look at Aaron Hernandez... Now even though some crazy people like to think they are similar crimes, murder and marijuana are no where near the same issue.

My point is that the Browns organization has to weigh vs. how much of a liability he is and how much trade value he posses NOW vs. how much he will possess if he get's banned for a year.

Not an easy decision, but I bet it's a conversation that the front office is having or has already have.

-1 HS

I completely agree they should atleast read into it. Because he has made stupid decisions up to this point in his football career. But trading away a guy who lead the league in yards last year sounds like a really stupid decision IMO. Especially when you still have him under a rookie deal and with an extension coming up (possibly) that you could legitimately pay him alot less money on because of his suspension problems.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

True...

I guess only time will tell. As a Browns fan, I'm worried that he's going to screw up yet again and be banned for a year... Then we definitely won't be able to trade him for anything and he will just be wasting a roster spot.

Maybe he get's his crap together and cleans up, but I'm not counting on it.

-1 HS

Alot of Browns fans, including myself are also worried about that same thing. But iirc if/when he gets a one-year ban his contract freezes. So if he gets the whole suspension this year he'll still have 2 years on his contract if/when he returns. A bit of silver lining in what would be a bad situation.

osu07asu10's picture

he will just be wasting a roster spot.

If he was banned, he would be placed on the inactive list I believe and not using an active roster spot.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

osu07asu10's picture

Not an easy decision, but I bet it's a conversation that the front office is having or has already have.

Not that everything they say is to be taken at face value, but Haslam has stated publicly recently that they expect Gordon to be with the browns for a long time.

I think if they were going to trade him, it probably would have been during the season last year as he was tearing it up. He's going to be on the Browns for awhile or he simply won't be in the league.

His trade value is minimal, if he gets banned the browns don't pay him, and if they outright release him another team will scoop him up regardless. The Browns have the cap space to have Gordon and other elite offensive talent (contract extension for Cameron, Tate, etc). They just can't build the whole offense around him because he won't be around for half a year and Pettine has said as much about Gordon or anyone else.

Remember, the Browns knew of his problems when they took him in the supplemental draft.

+1 HS
daveyt11's picture

Interesting...that would explain a lot. Football season can't get here soon enough!

elitesmithie's picture

Dude is a beast. Led the league in yards in 2 less games than other WR's with QB's like Weeden.

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

In my mind it makes no sense to ever trade him. There is no way you get anything close to his true value in return, and when he does play he's a top 3 receiver in the league. IMO he winds up becoming a team luxury. They don't have to pay him if he gets suspended so its literally zero financial risk. It would be a different story if the team was hurting for cap space, but they aren't. Why trade him for a low round pick or a likely backup at another position? It would be so Browns for us to trade him, and watch him stay clean for a whole year and blow the doors off the league for another team. Now do I think he stays clean? Probably not, but there is no risk in keeping him, so hold on to him and any games he plays for you is a bonus that could help us break out of mediocrity. Shit, getting 8 games from him every other year would be better than anything we'd get in return for him. Next year we can draft like he's not part of the team, and hope that he is. But a trade makes no sense unless he gets to a point where he is becoming a complete distraction for the team.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If he were to get 6 compared to the full 16 - I could certainly fall in line with that. He will be a much needed asset whenever he returns

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

If my daughter ever dates a wide receiver, I will shoot somebody; myself or him.

gumtape's picture

I meet a lot of families in my work. One of them, the dad played WR for a D1 school, pulled all of that entitlement crap and struggled a lot. Now he is a responsible and hard working husband and father. So they are not all bad.

And here is another good one, former Buckeye Chris Sanders:

Assisting Families in Need

Many NFL players also reach out to families. Last Thanksgiving Titan Yancy Thigpen provided meals to 200 homeless women and children; teammates Joey Kent, Kevin Dyson, and Spencer George and Titans cheerleaders, mascot, and staff helped him serve the meals. Led by cornerback Anthony Dorsett, the Titans defensive backs gave 50 food baskets to underprivileged families.

Chris Sanders and his family took 30 Nashville families Christmas shopping, providing each with $400 to buy gifts and everyday items. Through the Chris Sanders Foundation, Sanders and his wife, Stacey, provide families up to $1,000 for housing deposits and their first month's rent so that the families can leave shelters for homes of their own.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

703Buckeye's picture

Assuming Gordon is suspended 6 regular season games and begins serving his suspension immediately, he will miss these 6 games...

Week 1: @ Pittsburgh

Week 2: New Orleans

Week 3: Baltimore

Week 4: Bye

Week 5: @ Tennessee

Week 6: Pittsburgh

Week 7: @ Jacksonville

I really don't mind that Gordon is missing the Jacksonville or Tennessee games,both those teams are beatable without him. Now missing the two Pittsburgh games and Baltimore will really hurt the Browns; missing your best offensive weapon against those defenses is going to hurt. I'm happy New Orleans has to come play on grass and I hope it rains the whole time.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Just about to look up their schedule and see the impact - thanks 703.

Bottom line is they need him this year, whenever he's cleared to go.

If the browns can win 3-5of those games and get Gordon back they could be in line to make a run at the playoffs. Just have to rely on guys not dropping the ball, the run game, and defense. Once he comes back, everything opens back up offensively. And i'm also really not convinced that hawkins, cameron, bennett, austin, and whoever else they pick up will be terrible this year. These guys will be looking to improve stock for contract years coming up.

jeremytwoface's picture

I kind of doubt they win 5... I think Jacksonville and the Titans are doable. I think Pittsburgh will be tough both times but they might go 1 and 1 against them. I would say 3 wins are doable but it depends on if they can acquire some help at WR or if some of the other players step up. Also depends on how the running game improves.

I think their defense will keep them in games all year.

osu07asu10's picture

but it depends on if they can acquire some help at WR or if some of the other players step up. 

How many more receivers do we need to acquire? 

Austin, Bennett, Hawkins, Burleson (FAs), Charles Johnson (GB practice squad signee), Jones, Krause, Shaw, Snead (UDFA), and they get Benjamin back from the ACL. 

Gordon is great but we're going to take a step forward in the OL, a definite step forward at QB (regardless of Hoyer or Manziel), a huge leap at RB (Tate, West, Crowell), and an upgrade at the OC position with Shanahan. 

I'm not calling the AFCN yet, but they'll be much more competitive even without Gordon.

100% agree. The o-line will be stacked. Plenty of talent in the backfield. And whether everyone wants to agree or not, the Browns will figure out how to distribute the ball to the recievers. All they have to do is catch. Defense will be business as usual, but with the offense eating up clock with the running game i fully expect this to be a top 5-7 defense this year. If not better. 

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

This might be the first time Kyle Shanahan was referred to as an upgrade.

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Great! That means he will be back in time for the playoffs!

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
William's picture

There is no way the Browns should ever trade Gordon. You do not let a talent like that walk. With the Browns' luck he'd leave and end up somewhere like New England or Pittsburgh and figure it out. 

gumtape's picture

It's just weed. Freaking Jim Irsay was caught with a bag full of painkillers and valium and hasn't even been formally reprimanded. NFL really needs to rethink this one. 6 games seems fair to me.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+2 HS
William's picture

Irsay was even charged with 4 felonies I believe. Of course the NFL won't punish him for 4 felonies, but they'll punish Gordon for smoking some bud. 

luckynutz's picture

Cleveland took a gamble when they took him in the supplemental draft. They knew his history, and took that gamble. Aside from his obvious lack of common sense, hes more than shown they were right to take that gamble. Now going forward, I think you will see him on a very short leash. Especially after what they dealt with in the wake of davone bess going full retard this past year. If the worst he gets is 6 games, their will be some form of compromise made between the front office and gordon. He will be looking to be paid like a top receiver...but with him being so close to getting the hammer dropped on him, I dont see them giving him that. Id say its more likely you see a performance based, incentive laden extension put in front of him of a shorter variety. Maybe a 2 year deal...leaving the door open for him to get the mega deal he would deserve if he keeps his shit together. That would, in my estimation, keep everyone happy. Browns have the ability to remain flexible on gordon, and gordon has the ability to get right and earn that big payday.

osu07asu10's picture

in the wake of davone bess going full retard this past year. 

He will be looking to be paid like a top receiver...but with him being so close to getting the hammer dropped on him, I dont see them giving him that. Id say its more likely you see a performance based, incentive laden extension put in front of him of a shorter variety. 

Look, if Gordon is suspended the Browns don't pay his salary during that time. If he gets banned indefinitely, they don't pay his salary and it doesn't count against their salary cap.

Besides not having a top rated player at his position, signing Gordon to ANY contract doesn't carry much financial risk. Where Gordon is probably going to lose out is in the guaranteed money department in the form of an upfront signing bonus or front loaded contract. The Browns will have ample cap space to take a flier on Gordon's next contract while keeping other top tier talent signed on offense.

I honestly see the Browns needing to transition tag or franchise tag Gordon in 2 seasons (if he is still in the league) because if we won't pay him, another team will.

-1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Not saying they wont pay him...because everyone knows what he can do on a football field. What im saying is they dangle the carrot in front of him to help him get in line and not throw away what could be a very fruitful career. I understand what youre saying about the money. But why tie yourself to someone...whether it becomes null and void down the road or not. If they are serious about keeping him in a browns uniform, they need to do more than just guarantee him big money. That doesnt teach him the lesson he needs to learn. Grow up and realize this a job above all else. Do that and you will be handsomely rewarded for validating our faith in you.