Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

#1 PICK

Deadly Nuts's picture
May 20, 2014 at 8:26pm
112 Comments

The Cavs just won the lottery with a 1.7% chance. Unbelievable..... 

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Damn, seems like ever since LBJ left they're getting every #1 pick. 

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Except the year Davis came out. Typical Cavs luck.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+9 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Compensation for the ESPiN debacle?

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Duccivespucci's picture

I wonder how much they will screw it up this year?

Michael

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I truly hope you are wrong.  

Go Bucks!

dubjayfootball90's picture

CLE!!! CLE!!! Lets go CAVS!!!

+2 HS
kicks's picture

For those who didn't think the NBA was rigged, there you have it.  Until the ping pong balls are taken on national TV it's rigged.  No way a team picks #1 3 out of 4 years.

-8 HS
UrbanPirate's picture

Because the league is so eager to have... Cleveland good?? If anything I think this serves as proof it's not rigged.

Just... Go Bucks.

+26 HS
kicks's picture

Lmao, ok.  Coincidence that the ping pong balls are picked behind closed doors right?

-4 HS
mh277907's picture

Right. Ernst and Young (who has representatives present when the ping pong balls are picked behind said closed doors), one of the biggest accounting firms in the world, would risk their credibility so that the NBA could ensure that Cleveland got the #1 overall pick. Definitely believable.

buckeyebobcat

+5 HS
Earle's picture

And Arthur Andersen was one of the biggest and most respected accounting firms in the world, too.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but just sayin...it is curious how the teams that obviously tanked the season didn't end up with #1.

SOCK PUPPETS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!

mh277907's picture

Arthur Anderson risked their credibility over $100 billion. What would E&Y gain from participating?

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
Earle's picture

You think they would do it for free?  I'm sure they get paid well for their participation, and likely do other work for the league.  And while AA "earned" millions from Enron in fees to be sure, maybe even hundreds of millions over the years, it was hardly $100 billion.  For perspective, that is 4 times E&Y's annual revenues.

Like I said, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it's not beyond the realm of imagination.

SOCK PUPPETS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

The $100 billion was in reference to roughly what was at stake with the Enron debacle. And I certainly don't think E&Y does anything for free but I can't imagine that what they get paid is anywhere near the amount that would make it worthwhile to be involved in a "scandal" like this.

buckeyebobcat

-1 HS
d5k's picture

The NBA lottery is WAY small potatoes for E&Y.  

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I'm pretty sure it's behind closed doors because it would be boring and confusing, as a team may get a ping pong ball picked several times during the choosing, and also b/c of the rules that certain teams cannot drop below certain picks, people would get confused. Trust me, there would be confusion by the audience, and the program would take too long. I have no problem with how they do it, as it is their event to stage however they want.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Squirrel Master's picture

I think the whole "NBA would prefer the big cities get the rigged pick" theory goes out the window when the NBA is at an all-time high with San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Indiana in the final four.

I'm not saying it is rigged, I'm just saying that argument could easily be debunked. It wouldn't put it past me that the NBA wants one of its more prominent owners, and the Cavs owner is one of the more "positive" known owners, to have a successful team. Maybe there is a real lottery and the pick could be bought. We don't really know.

again, I don't think it happens and the lottery is legit. but to say the NBA would be better off with the Lakers getting the top pick doesn't hold water IMO. They can market any star anywhere.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

Just because some of the best teams in the league right now happen to be small market teams doesn't mean the NBA prefers it that way. 

+1 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I think each team has a representative to witness the lottery.  They get to watch the lottery but can't have any outside communication (cell phones).

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+1 HS
Stellar's picture

Do you really think that in a lottery with major market powers like Boston and the LA Lakers, and in a draft with several potential franchise players, that they would rig the lottery to give the top pick to Cleveland? That doesn't make any sense at all

+2 HS
Danify's picture

Greatest thing about getting the #1 pick is hearing Bill Simmons whine, especially after the article he wrote this afternoon. Haha.

[Article - Karma Rankings]

+10 HS
OSU069's picture

Lol Suck it Simmons. 

+4 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Did he have his heart attack?

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Upvote for u

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

WezBuck28's picture

Now, who will they take with that pick?!?

teddyballgame's picture

Lebron + Kyrie + Embiid

dynasty

+1 HS
UrbanPirate's picture

Two point-guards?

Just... Go Bucks.

-10 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

LeBron + Kyrie + Wiggins ? Pretty fucking formidable in its own right.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Trade Thompson, AV, Waiters, and future 1st for Kevin Love.

Draft Wiggins. Offer Coach Cal $15m to coach, pray Lbj comes back...

Dynasty.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+7 HS
sivaDavis's picture

And pray that Kevin Love stays....

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

Love it!  I was thinking the same players and this years' first round pick for K. Love but I like your suggestion a little better.

Irving, Bron, and the double-double machine?? Yes Please!!

BassDropper's picture

Speaking of that Drake guy....

"Draft Day, Johnny Manziel, 5 years later how am I the man still. Draft Day, A. Wiggins, fuck that other side bitch, we stay winnin."

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

that Drake guy, a true master of words

ITWASME's picture

The prophet of Cleveland (I couldn't do sarcasm font because I'm on my phone)

ODEEZ330's picture

Parker please

O'Deez330
stark county football

+2 HS

It's amazing how Parker has been somewhat forgotten.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

So true. Parker first and then down to Randle, frankly. Too many questions marks in between, including Wiggins.

Kindell's picture

Parker is a great NBA prospect, I just don't think he is the right prospect for Cleveland.  Parker is going to score 20 a game in the NBA, probably as soon as next year.  His weakness is defense, the Cavs need some help with defense on the perimeter and Wiggins brings that now.  I don't think you can go wrong here though with this Top 3.

Deadly Nuts's picture

With the first pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select....

Doug McDermott!

LEBRON

+6 HS

You sure Cleveland won't trade it to Buffalo?

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Obv Nik Stauskas...

ToetotheFace's picture

74.256 out of 1000000 Chance of them winning these three lotteries! That is almost a 1 out 20000 chance!

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

They locked the other thread you replied to me on, but I got the 1 in 2000 off a tweet. Math isn't my strong suit so I can't verify it but this was the tweet.

Football is complicated...

+3 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

hmm, I realize now that I accidently typed 10 twice in my calculator(so in other words, I came up with a much high percentage than the actual result). Considering this is pretty simple probability, it is my bad, I shouldn't have used a calculator to come up with 100x100x100 which isn't that hard to do in one's head. it is really 74.256(not sure how they got 19.9%, I believe it was the clipper pick that was 1st) out of 1000000 or in other words(or numbers) .000074256. My bad really, considering I came in like a smart ass and mixed up my numbers haha.

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

It's all good. Either way it's crazy the Cavs got the No. 1 again, hopefully they don't blow this one on a d-league player this year!

Football is complicated...

ToetotheFace's picture

I'm thinking Embiid, Hawes has the touch to play the 4 position if they want to put him there. Hard to see them going wrong with Parker or Wiggins there as well, so I'm pretty hopeful we won't see anything as bad as last year.

Something like Irving - Waiters - Deng - Hawes - Embiid would be an interesting lineup, and they would have depth on the bench. With a solid coach, it is hard to see them missing the playoffs in the weak eastern conference. I also think a true Center would help them against the Heat, everyone has seen how much trouble they have with Hibbert.  Then you have guys like Tristan Thompson, Andy, Bennett, etc. who could be solid depth or used for trades.

Another option is trading the pick for Kevin Love, who is one of the most underrated players in the league right now.

They really have a lot of options depending on how they want to build the team, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of interest in the coaching job here.

Baroclinicity's picture

I'm not sure Love is underrated at all.  Every team wants him.  And no way I make a trade for him unless it's a sign and trade... otherwise he's gone in a year.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

I meant by fans, not necessarily the gms/team owners which I wouldn't even know about(their opinions) anyway other than the interest they show in him and how willing they are to commit to it. The guy is producing at a level just below people like Kevin Durant and Lebron James, and is easily the best offensive big in the game, but how often do you see him mentioned among the best in the NBA? Very rarely, partially because hardly anyone pays attention to Minnesota's basketball team.

+1 HS

The guy averaged 26 pts and 12.5 rebs..If he played on a top team he might have won MVP. If Cleveland could pull him in and keep Kyrie I could see James locking down with those two and taking us where we need to be for the for see able future.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

TheBadOwl's picture

The problem with Kevin Love is that Minnesota will only trade him to a team that he'll agree to an extension with, and I'm not sure that the Cavs fit that description. If the Cavs can get Lebron, that might become a lot easy. I'd keep the pick, but if they can get Love to agree to an extension and the Wolves to agree to take just the first overall pick, it'd be a pretty easy deal to pull the trigger on.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS

You are correct. I also think he wants to go to a big market but also a contender. A lot of different scenarios can happen but one thing for sure is they all look pretty good for the Cavs even if they sit on the pick and don't add a big name in FA.

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Kyrie Wiggins Lebron. There is zero chance LeBron doesn't come back to Cleveland now. The Cavs will be a guaranteed title contender until LeBron retires. Incredible night tonight was. Just amazing. And don't take Embiid. Too risky with his injuries.

Danify's picture

Trade Tristan Thompson, Trade Dion Waiters, Draft Jabari Parker, Draft Isaiah Austin (#33), Move Kyrie Irving to SG, Sign back LeBron James, Resign Spencer Hawes.

Matthew Dellavedova - PG, Kyrie Irving - SG, Jabari Parker - PF, LeBron James - SF, Spencer Hawes - C

Bench - Anderson V. PF, Anthony Bennett - PF | SF, Aaron Craft (Estimated - Undrafted Free Agent) - PG, Sergery Karasev - SG, Isaiah Austin - C.

*A person can dream. Ha!*

+1 HS
d5k's picture

And you are assuming they get no assets/players back for Waiters/Thompson?  Or are they included in some sort of bizarre sign and trade for Lebron?  It sounds like they are going Wiggins.  That seems ok as he is good with or without the ball and can guard any non-center on the floor.  If Lebron came back they could go from one of the worst defenses to one of the best defenses overnight.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Say hello to my little friend

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Cowherd is going to have a shit fit on his show tomorrow because L.A. or Boston didn't get it.

+3 HS
ohst8buxCP's picture

Agreed. I like Cowherd most of the time but his whole elitist attitude towards pro sports and favoritism towards big markets pisses me off. Can't wait to listen tomorrow.

Seattle Linga's picture

I hear what you're saying and I understand why you listen to him but he talks so much smack against Ohio State then hides behind the microphone when he gets called out on it. He's entertaining but he lacks character and integrity.  

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I don't hear it all that much (can't listen all the time tho), but I just assume everyone does anyways.  So to me, it's no different than anyone else on the national scene.  At the same time, I can recognize I'm hyper-sensitive to any Ohio State negativity, so it's going to be "louder" than other  non-Ohio State criticisms.

+1 HS

well he does say positive stuff towards OSU as well. I think he is kind of neutral on OSU because they are an elite program, something he obviously is in favor of. At the same time he does rip them when the perceived mistake is made, for example the Hyde situation last summer. Many times he lists OSU as one of the best programs and he does talk highly of Urban Meyer.

I think Cowherd could go either way on OSU. Now he does rip many non-elite, small market teams a lot though. I don't think I've heard him say anything positive about PSU in years. Maybe Bill O'brien but definitely not the fans.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I hear what you're saying but I used to listen to him and he would constantly put us down day in and day out - maybe he was just jealous because our football team hadn't lost in two seasons then the next day Urban is on his show and he starts acting like they are best friends and nothing was said the previous three weeks.

Journalism 101 - have convictions and stick with them regardless..............I guess Coward slept through that class. 

+1 HS

I wish I could sleep through some classes and end up in his position. Guy is making bank, no matter who he does that too.

Those weeks before the Urban interview, he did say OSU doesn't belong with the FSUs and Bamas. Very true. But unlike many other talking heads at the almighty sports mecca, he also says OSU is a building juggernaut. He seemed to take more of a "not this year yet" stance with OSU than a "they will never be good enough" stance.

I just didn't get any locked in negativity towards Ohio State like I do many others. I do prefer to listen to SVP and Russillo because they clown around, but they rip OSU ten times more than Cowherd. I hated hearing how they thought Baylor deserved to be ahead of OSU all season. That got annoying!

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

People gripe about Cowherd all the time, but here's the reality: he's a damn good radio host. It's the same thing I've said for years about Rush Limbaugh (and this is NOT a political comment) - it's not about being right or wrong, but it's about being entertaining. Of all of the hosts on ESPN's radio programming, Cowherd delivers the most consistently entertaining product, and he generally has interesting insights that make you think, regardless of your level of agreement with them.

As Squirrel said, he's making bank, and that's because he's good at what he does.

+1 HS

how has radio treated you Mr. Vance? Aren't you in the radio business yourself. I wouldn't mind hearing a podcast on something, if its about sports. Not sure I would be interested in a debate on couponing, in case that is what you are into.

correction, I found your website with your columns. I might have been wrong.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

You're correct - I'm an old radio hand by background, although it's been a few years since I was on a terrestrial radio station. I do host a pair of podcasts for Feedstuffs, the weekly national newspaper for agribusiness. Not quite couponing, but not really sports, either. If Johnny ever retires from the Dubcast, maybe they'll draft me as his successor :)

+1 HS
d5k's picture

They can bring back Hawes, get a trade exception out of Deng at least hopefully.  That still leaves a ton of cap room.  Can't throw the towel in on Waiters/Thompson/Bennett just yet.  You'd think with a potential starting lineup at some point with 5 top 4 picks you would win some games.

But you need to hire a competent coach.  Preferably one who knows how to develop players and maximize their talents rather than just roll the ball out to Kyrie and let him do whatever.

Eph97's picture

If they can get K.Love in a sign and trade from the Wolves for the pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. Otherwise, Parker or Wiggins. Embiid scares me, as he might be Oden II.

+1 HS

Not sure what the obsession with Love is. He doesn't make the Cavs a contender.

Might not be an immediate contender with Love alone but that would have to be enticing on getting LBJ to come back home and make a new even stronger big 3. I know its highly unlikely as neither would "most" likely come without the other already onboard. Love is a complete monster though.

Bolt's picture

Love is one the best offensive players in the league that can get points in the flow of the game on his own without commanding the ball at all times. He is an excellent shooter and passer which is very valuable to a team that is looking to space the floor like the Cavs are for Kyrie and Dion. He's a top level offensive rebounder/rebounder in general. The Cavs are pretty defensively challenged already and it's not like Love is gonna bring much to the table in that regard. They would be formidable offensively though. They'd wind up being one of the better teams in the East but wouldn't make it out alive in the playoffs without playing good D night in and night out. They'd be fun to watch though.

+2 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Draft Wiggins and Trade Thompson for Asik (Houston will probably want to get rid of Lin's salary for this year too). Re-sign Deng if he wants to come back for a reasonable price. Feel out Calipari (might increase probability of signing Lebron which blows this whole scenario up, if not still could be like the NBA's version of Pete Carrol) or get George Karl to coach

Irving- Wiggins- Deng- Bennett- Asik with Waiters- Lin- Miles- Varajao- Zeller- Jack off the bench. 

Just need a 3 point shooter off the bench and a backup PF. 

sorry, bu t no way Cleveland takes back Jeremy Lin this year. This is the year most of his contract is in. This is the bitter pill that Houston put on the contract to scare away the Knicks.

Its $15 million this year. With Asik's salary and Lin, the deal won't work out for an even swap with Thompson. Would have to include Varejao or a couple players and I don't think Houston would take back too much garbage.

buckeyestu's picture

Jabari Parker please.

daveyt11's picture

Agreed, he is a monster

+1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I'm of the same opinion as OSU07ASU10. You go to Minnesota and say "We want Love. What 4/5 assets outside of Kyrie and our #1 makes that happen?" then you go to LeBron and tell him he can pick the Damn coach if he wants, as long as he comes back. I'm assuming it would take some combo like Thompson/Waiters/2 future firsts plus maybe Zellar or a third future first to pry Love out of Minn, but a line up of Kyrie, Wiggins, Lebron, Love, and Varajao (going with him because with the other four in the line up, its more important to have a good defender/rebounder/someone-to-piss-people-off in the game over another offensive option) and a bench of Jack, Miles, Karasev, Bennett (maybe Zellar), and Hawes means not one... not two... not three... well, you get the point...

-1 HS
BuckeyeBred's picture

I like where you head is at.  I'm a huge Love fan. That said, the Wolves are operating from a position of weakness right now with him bascially saying he is ready to leave.  He will not be back in Minn. once that contract is up.  Due to that, I don't think the #1 pick AND 4/5 assets is necessary.  Perhaps just the #1 pick and a player or two.  I actually like Waiters as a player, but he seems like a locker room issue.  Maybe that's good enough to make it happen in a sign/trade.  Waiters could be a 20+ppg guy in this league with enough minutes.

+2 HS

He's said 4-5 assets for Love, and maybe two future first round picks. He's saying we draft Wiggins and get Love in some other trade.

Bolt's picture

Better yet keep Hawes in the starting lineup ahead of Andy, as is currently the case, and watch the offensive fireworks. That'd be fun. Hawes is an outstanding 3-pt shooter and passer as a 7+ footer...run pick and roll with him or spot him up elsewhere to space out the floor and watch the fury of Bron, Kyrie, Wiggins attack the rim with Love and Hawes spotted up. 

Go1Bucks's picture

Are you F'in serious?! I wrote us off.  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Go Bucks!

dc28's picture

The Cleveland Cavs select Colt McCoy or Brandon Weeden. Wait, I am sorry, The Cavs select Anthony Bennett, oh wait, they already have him. The Cavs select Jamie Jamie Jamie Jamie 8th grader out of Alaska. Either way, the Cavs will screw this up.

-6 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

Nick Gilbert is a witch.

Gametime's picture

They should've taken Nerlens Noel last year and let him heal up. Taking Anthony Bennett was just too risky, but Noel has essentially a carbon copy skill set of Davis - Point Forward like handle, excellent weak-side defender and shot blocker, good rebounder.

Having a rim defender like that NOW would've made it much easier to pick a guy like Wiggins or Parker to pair with Irving and a sure fire big, but you could take the risk and trade pieces for Love which will give Minnesota options - but Love isn't a center and would be underutilized because he's an excellent shooter.

It starts with a good coaching hire IMO - right now AV, Gee, Hawes, Deng, Miles, & Hopson are off the books unless the Cavs exercise team options. Right now, AV & Jack ( or Thompson, or Waiters) would be enough contractually to trade for Love to essentially rent him unless Kyrie & Love along with a TON of cap space. Guys like Evan Turner, Marcin Gortat, Lance Stevenson, Jordan Hill, & Kris Humphries will be available and affordable pieces and options to build around Irving & Love if they could swing it.

Would it be enough to entice LeBron? Imagine a core of Irving, Stevenson/Turner/Wiggins/Parker, LeBron, Love, & Gortat/Embid.

That would be pretty damn tough.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+1 HS

Lance Stevenson will not be an affordable piece. He is going to demand top dollar, he hasn't had a big payday yet. Unlike Lebron and Bosh when they went to Miami.

and anyways, Cleveland won't make that many good moves all at once. Won't happen. Lebron couldn't get players to come to Cleveland before, what makes anyone think that a slew of players would come there on the chance that Lebron would come back (because I doubt Lebron will come back first if he does, and I doubt players would come to Cleveland first with hopes that Lebron will follow).

I would just hope that Cleveland doesn't screw up the pick and stay there. Just dream of Kyrie with either Wiggins/Parker/Embiid. and I doubt you would get Love without giving up that pick to begin with.

-1 HS
d5k's picture

Yes, too many dumb GM's who watch role guys play well in the playoffs and give them big $.  Anyone remember JJ Barea?

osu07asu10's picture

Lebron couldn't get players to come to Cleveland before, what makes anyone think that a slew of players would come there on the chance that Lebron would come back (because I doubt Lebron will come back first if he does, and I doubt players would come to Cleveland first with hopes that Lebron will follow).

In defense of the great City of Cleveland, I'm not sure LeBron really put a lot of effort into recruiting players to Cleveland.

LBJ: "Yo, Bosh..D-Wade...why don't y'all come play with me in Cleveland?"

(**Laughter followed by crying and gasping for air**)

D-Wade: Seriously though, we're doing this in South Beach right?

LBJ & Bosh: "Of course!!!!"

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

dc28's picture

In all seriousness I think the Cavs take Parker and do something big in free agency. I don't know who that player will be but It will be a good player. First thing is first though, which coach are they going to get? I think that will determine who they select and who they can get in free agency.

mh277907's picture

I wouldn't mind Mark Jackson. Though, I just saw that the Knicks are interested as well. Still think the pick has got to be either Wiggins or Embiid.

buckeyebobcat

Seattle Linga's picture

I can totally get on board with that...............

We also need a proven leader to lead the team behind the bench

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I think he got a raw deal with the Warriors. Players seems to love him too.

buckeyebobcat

Seattle Linga's picture

50+ win season and get the door.

"Things that make you go huh?"

+1 HS
d5k's picture

60+ win season and get the door for Mike Brown.

RedStorm45's picture

Does Anthony Bennett have a younger brother?  They'll probably take him over Parker/Embiid/Wiggins.

-6 HS

Haha.

But to be fair, there wasn't a Parker/Wggins/Embiid type of player in last years draft.

+1 HS

Good for Cleveland. As much as I think its odd they won it, I'm glad they got it over Milwaukee and Philly.  I think they should go for Parker. Wiggins would be amazing but I think the Cavs have steady talent already at the SG spot. I would be leary of Embiid no matter what (many examples where taking the center over the skill player is a mistake). Parker fits a need at SF, he works well within a team (which is good because the star is already on the team in Kyrie) and he has the body and skill set to matchup with Lebron and other top end SF. I think he is more athletic than given credit for. He was playing way out of position at Duke (sometimes even center, because they didn't have one) and I think he was carrying more weight than he should have to play in the post. If he can stay around 230, I think he would have enough size and athleticism to help the Cavs compete.

with that said, I really am curious about Dante Exum. The kid is a highly skilled player who would fit excellently next to Kyrie if he can really shoot. I'm not sure if he is a great shooter or not, that I'm certain they will find out, but if he can shoot well he would be a further along version of Wiggins. Elite athleticism with some solid ball handling skills. Yes I said the Cavs have stock at SG already and need a SF, but could resign Deng and trade Waiters in this instance. I'm just seriously interested to see this kid who might have the size of Kobe but can handle the point like Tony Parker (supposedly Exum is unstoppable driving to the hoop).

I think the Cavs should look at 3 players for the top pick, I just don't think Embiid should be one of them. Too much risk, but then again they took Bennett last year so who knows!

BuckeyeBred's picture

It doesn't seem like y'all like Spencer Hawes.  What's not to like?  The dude shot 45% for us beyond the arc and pulls about 8rbs a game.  Sure Lebron and/or Love would be factiastic, but this dude can ball and I think he should be on our "must-sign" list.  Even if the perfect scenario of getting LBJ back doesn't work, I like our chances with our pieces now plus Jabari or Wiggins (a 3 that can play both sides of the floor).

+2 HS
d5k's picture

Wiggins is going to translate way better on defense than Parker who is a bit of a tweener on that end.

+3 HS

Trollin' Bill Simmons is always fun.

BUCKfutter's picture

watching the cavs win the draft lottery is like watching the guy who answers his door with a beer gut wearing only tighty whities, only to find out that he won the publisher's clearing house sweepstakes.  you just know he'll be right back where he started in a year after he blows all the money.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

-1 HS
Golden Buckeye's picture

Embiid's injuries issues scare me, but he has the upside of a Hakeem Olajuwon.  Wiggins has insane athleticism and has an unbelievably high ceiling.  Parker has the highest basketball IQ and is the most NBA ready, but does not have as high as a ceiling as the other two.  

I would say just snag Wiggins as he has such a high ceiling and no injury issues.

+3 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

Yup, Wiggins has to be the pick.  He was the pick coming out of high school, he's the pick now.  We will go through the same cycle the NFL did in this last draft - everyone will overthink themselves into believing that the transcendent talent (Clowney) isn't worth the first pick, then cooler heads will prevail, realize he's far and away the best player, and order will be restored.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+3 HS

My gut feeling is that Embiid will be a bust, and Wiggins will be a superstar. In the end, the Cavs will take Wiggins.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

This is huge for the Cavs. This could honestly be a pick that could turn the Cavs in to a dynasty. I don't think you can go wrong with the pick;however, I do have concerns with Embiid's back. I would hate to see another Oden situation. I think for that very reason, Embiid will not be the pick. After picking Bennett last year, the Cavs can't afford to pick another "risk" player. I think the pick will be and should be Wiggins. I think he could be a top 5 player in the league by the end of year 2. 

I'm not ready to give up on Anthony Bennett. What most people don't realize is he battled through injuries and weight issues last season...oh and he had Mike Brown as head coach, so yea, wasn't really meant for him to have a great season. He did show flashes at times last season, and if he can get his weight under control in the offseason, and a competent head coach can come in and coach him up, he should be fine. The great thing is, this #1 pick will take a lot of pressure off of Bennett.

PG-Kyrie Irving

SG-Dion Waiters (or Andrew Wiggins)

SF-Andrew Wiggins (or Lebron James)

PF-Tristan Thompson

C-Spencer Hawes OR Free agent or trade

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS

Bass, I agree with you completely. I don't think you could go wrong between Wiggins and Parker, but Embiid concerns me. And Anthony Bennett could still be the best player of his draft class. He's shown some flashes of what he's capable of. If he loses some weight, gets healthy, and has a good coach coming in, I think he could surprise a lot of people who have already written him off.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

I doubt Bennett will ever be better than MCW or Oladipo but I do agree with you that he could surprise some people next year.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Carter Williams was never an option there though so that part of the comparison's unfair. Nobody saw that coming except maybe his mom.

BassDropper's picture

I have been watching film on all of the prospects, and the more I watch I am falling in love with Embiid's game. This guy could be an all star his rookie year...I haven't seen a 7'0 player have the skill set of a SG like Embiid does. I also find myself favoring Jabari Parker over Wiggins now. I still think Wiggins will be one of the best players in the league, but man, Jabari looks every bit as good if not better. The only way the Cavs can mess this pick up is by drafting Embiid and he turns out to have injury issues. 

DIRECTIONER