Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

NBA becoming boring?

OSUpawn's picture
May 20, 2014 at 10:27am
42 Comments

I can't stand to watch NBA games anymore.  I can't stand touch fouls.  I hate when the offense causes the contact, and its a foul on the defense.  I would like to see the refs make a lot more no calls.  Anyone else agree?

Its the off-season for football and it's killing me.

Bugsyk's picture

just becoming boring?  has been boring...

+21 HS
IH8UOFM's picture
+4 HS
mh277907's picture

I agree in that I hate how the NBA game is officiated. What happened to the Clippers the other night was an absolute travesty. That said, the ending of that very same game was anything but boring. I think overall the playoffs have been pretty exciting. I would like the NBA to contract, though, and eliminate a couple franchises which would spread the talent around a little more. I think the regular season is watered down but the playoffs aren't bad.

buckeyebobcat

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

What happened to the Clippers the other night was an absolute travesty.

No it wasn't.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-8 HS
mh277907's picture

Oh, ok. My bad.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

You have to remember he's a Laker/Kobe fan so obviously he's in favor of having the refs rig games and or make terrible calls.

The irony of this coming from a LeBron/Heat fan. lol

Reggie Jackson was fouled.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I'm pretty sure that it made up for all the other shitty calls OKC got.

LEBRON

+1 HS

But not all the flopping the Clippers got away with.

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Or that last second reach-in that was not called on OKC.

LEBRON

daveyt11's picture

They got better after the referee scandal but have now reverted back to where the superstar gets the benefit of doubt more often than not.

In fact watching Pacers-Heat on Sunday, Indiana was up 14 or so and then the refs called touch fouls on Wade and James. Wouldn't do that if it was close, this way the NBA can claim "look, we call fouls on them"...anyway, just my 2 cents.....Go Pacers

OSUpawn's picture

I would love to see Pacers vs OKC.

Kevin Durant is a stand up guy.  His acceptance speech for MVP was class act.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+3 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Basketball is probably the hardest sport to officiate. Haven't been a fan of the refs so far, but damn would it be nice to see the Heat bounced by the suddenly-maybe-resurrected Pacers.

The World Cup is coming soon, too, so that will definitely help as well.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

OSUpawn's picture

Good call.  I did forget about the World Cup.  I still need something for the next month.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+2 HS
cbtrack692's picture

The World Cup, in my opinion, is way better than the NBA playoffs. Hell, even when my team loses (USA) it is still fun to watch the remainder of the games.

+1 HS

I miss the 90s.

-1 HS
jedkat's picture

Start calling traveling, and I'll maybe start caring.

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

That would give the Heat 40 turnovers a game. Never going to happen.

Upset Heat fan hates the truth. XD

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Yeah, cuz nobody else in the league travels.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Watched a 30 for 30 a week or so ago (I think it was 30 for 30 anyway) about the Pistons with Thomas, Rodman and Laimbeer. That was basketball.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+3 HS
sharks's picture

I'd pay good $ to watch Laimbeer against Lebron in the post.  

Over/under on time from jump til first referee timeout because Lebron is sobbing uncontrollably? 

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Yep, that was a very good watch, and not just because I was a Pistons fan. The NBA has been boring to watch for years.  The playoffs are a better product, because they are playing for something, but I think a lot has to do with guaranteed contracts.  If you listen to the Bob and Tom show, Tom has been saying this for years.  The winning team should be the only team that receives a paycheck.

Gametime's picture

The NBA officiating is weak sauce. The NBA needs to adopt FIBA basketball rules which allow more rough physical play, hand-checking, grabbing the ball off the rim, and a shorter 3pt line. (The same rules they play in the Olympics for those who don't know.)

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+3 HS

grabbing the ball off the rim, and a shorter 3pt line.

Not sure about these two. There's already too many 3s in the NBA. Shortening the line would make it worse.

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

I don't have much thought either way on the last two, but hand-checking would go a long way IMO.

Football is complicated...

Jastot's picture

The NBA could be great again (I'm looking at you 80's and 90's) if they contracted 6-8 of the hopeless teams out there (Milwaukee, Charlotte, Sacramento, Minnesota, 76ers, Utah).  It's hard to put more than 2-3 good players together with all those teams and their free agent $'s.  But greed will preclude that from happening. 

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

Cowherd is a big proponent of the NBA contracting as well (as am I). I think 6-8 would be excessive but I think 2 would be enough to see the effects on the court. Not to mention it would probably keep some kids from leaving college early to go pro. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, the NBA is making a whole lot of money and even the Milwaukee Bucks are worth several hundred million dollars.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
mobboss1984's picture

I've been a NBA fan since I could walk. The NBA has became so soft over the years I've completely became a college football fan full time. Baseball isn't for me, because it's too boring. Sorry fellas! 

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

nikolajz1's picture

I think it is way more entertaining than college basketball but the officiating of late has been horrible. 

Rjpfish2's picture

Way more entertaining? The lack of defense and abundance of silly fouls make the NBA almost unwatchable. Catch some Pac-12 Football if you like scoring contests. The NHL Playoffs are exponentially more entertaining than the overpaid crybabies of the NBA.

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I love watching the NBA especially during the playoffs... however the NBA itself needs to scale back on how much power they give these refs.  Can't make game changing calls like technicals because a player looks at you wrong.  The officiating can be really bad at times, but just like a few years ago when tOSU was at Indiana, terrible officiating can happen in college bball too.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

NHL playoffs > NBA 

.. by a mile 

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

end of the 3rd period of NHL games*

LEBRON

Barney's picture

I went to a Cavs vs. Celtics game last month.  What a snoozer.  I know its the Cavs but wowsers.  My favorite part was leaving to go to a bar.

Set your gearshift for the high gear of your soul!

+3 HS
Bolt's picture

NBA reffing is probably the most frustrating thing in sports. I know it's probably the most difficult but they don't help themselves. The constantly make anticipation calls. They give leeway to star players. When they make a bad call, it's like oh boy here we go...they then proceed down a crazy spiral of makeup calls and complaining and makeup calls for the makeup calls and it turns into a total mess. Some of the refs (Joey Crawford) are such d-bags and are constantly trying to show up players and coaches. Some refs think that they're part of the show and the fans are showing up to see them officiate. They put in horrible rules that allow for more and more judgment calls to be added to the ref's plate (the clear path foul is such a sack of shit rule).

The NBA is frustrating, but I also find it highly entertaining. When the playoffs roll around it's always a fun time for me even when I don't have a horse in the race. 

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I would like to see the NBA 3 pt line moved out and college 3 pt line moved to current NBA line.

Go Bucks!

buckeyestu's picture

NBA = National Boring Association. I can not stand the NBA. Love basketball, but I am not sure what it is they play in the NBA.

+3 HS
Horvath22's picture

NBA is not basketball. It is an athletic exhibition, with some of the best athletes in the world performing on stage; and the refs are part of the performance. I used to be a big fan of the NBA, but that was a long time ago.

+2 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

People (not me) call watching baseball or golf boring... Between ridiculous phantom foul calls, ensuing free throws, and TV timeouts, they barely show any basketball in the NBA!

+1 HS

and TV timeouts,

That's a problem in the NFL, CFB, and CBB as well. It isn't just the NBA.

Seattle Linga's picture

Good ol Tim Donaghy made the game interesting with his scandal.