Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

FA CUP

William's picture
May 17, 2014 at 3:08pm
8 Comments

ARSENAL WIN ARSENAL WIN ARSENAL WIN ARSENAL WIN. 

What a final match. Arsenal ends its nine-year trophy drought, and the match was loaded with drama. Hull roared to a 2-0 lead in the first 8 minutes, and Arsenal fought back with a tremendous Cazorla free kick (17'), and a gutsy Koscielny goal (71'). The reffing was horrid in this match, as Gus Johnson even noted that Arsenal were denied three PKs that were deserved. However none of that matters as the Welsh magic man, Aaron Ramsey, slotted in a beauty in the 109th minute, although even that goal didn't guarantee Arsenal's victory, as Arsenal's keeper, Lukasz Fabianski, decided to go for a stroll and provide Hull with an open net that they couldn't capitalize on. What a final match. 

BHT's picture

Good win by Arsenal, but the German Cup is a great game too. Bayern and Dortmund are tied 0-0 going into overtime. Dortmund should have won it though; the referee did not give Dortmund a deserved goal. Dramatic day in European soccer.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

About time Arsenal killed their C drought! Raise a Cup!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

So happy for the Arsenal but mostly for Arsene Wenger. This I believe is a start to another great run for my glorious club. It's a beautiful day to be a Gooner.

(wish I could see some of that German football action but I can't get GolTV here.)

William's picture

Wenger looked ten years younger lifting up the cup. I agree on the run, but it's time for Arsenal to be big spenders in the off-season. Stan Kroenke needs to open his checkbook. 

Jeeves's picture

Unlike other English clubs with sugar daddys (Chelsea, Man City), Arsenal is self sustaining so as nice as it would be to sign big money names with Stan's wife's Walmart money it won't happen. And as a supporter I think I prefer it that way. 

William's picture

They've been paying down the debt incurred by building the Emirates for years. I think they've actually established the largest cash reserves of any club in the EPL. They finally have the funds to spend more liberally. Also the acquisition of Ozil seemed to signal that the front office is now more willing to spend big to get world class players, instead of looking for young diamonds in the rough. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal acquire someone like Draxler or Reus in the offseason. 

Seattle Linga's picture

They sure came to play their A game

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Looked like Arsenal came out asleep but turned it on in the second half... I'm surprised it even went into extra time the way that they were pressing Hull.

It would have been nice to see the underdog pull one out.... But good for Wenger and good for Arsenal.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.