Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

NFL expected to lighten marijuana policy

jeremytwoface's picture
May 14, 2014 at 8:31am
27 Comments

Supposedly the new policy will significantly increase the threshold required for a positive test and also reduce punishments for positive tests.

I think this is a good thing... In my opinion, you can't have the same punishment for marijuana that you have for performance enhancing drugs.

In regards to the threshold change, the article states that the NFL's threshold for a positive test is even lower than the World Anti-Doping Agency's test.

Gametime's picture

Hmmm...maybe this is what's holding up any official word with Josh Gordon? My fellow upright posters "dems da rules" types need to light(en) up. The plant does less harm than good.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+8 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I'm one of the "rules is rules" types... But that doesn't mean I'm against marijuana. And it doesn't mean I agree with the rules.

My point was that, if you know the rules, you shouldn't be stupid enough to knowingly break them

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+8 HS
Gametime's picture

Jeremy my 11W broham, I wasn't directly speaking to you, but I understand what your saying. Still, our selective adherence to that mantra as a society has always irritated me to a degree. (You know you've driven 70 in a 65 zone; apples & oranges I know!)

For me justice and fairness > rules and laws. I understand consequences and all that, but I can't shake this natural inclination to:

+2 HS
Earle's picture

There oughta be a rule against comparing apples and oranges...

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

YES.  and 'Win-Win' situations & 'No Brainers'

hodge's picture

"I think this is a good thing... In my opinion, you can't have the same punishment for marijuana that you have for performance enhancing drugs."

Yeah, because weed is anything but performance-enhancing -- unless you're entering an eating contest.

+6 HS
GoBucks713's picture

.....or if you want someone to talk circles around how great Phish is, and their albums do them absolutely no justice. YOU NEED TO SEE THEM LIVE, DUDE!!

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

This "sarcasm" describes my ex-gf to a T.  

Gametime's picture

Well Hodge, if I was eating with you I'd bet weed would be anything but a performance-enhancer cause the flavor palette would explode with your smoked meats, aged scotches, and fine grilled cheeses.

Not being able wanting to recognize your stomach's capacity wouldn't be a good thing hanging with you, but man the journey would be awesome until it reached the end of an inevitable torture of the innards. 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Whaaaat???

How did I miss this story? That's hilarious lol....

Oyster's picture

Have you been high for the last few years?

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Not that I know of....................

OSUStu's picture

Excuses...excuses.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Groveport Heisman's picture

Ah our good old buddy Ace Williams at chatsports. Dropping straight knowledge from behind enemy lines.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

buckguyfan1's picture

I can just see the new Super Bowl advertisements...

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Followed by 20 Doritos commercials.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

If anything, the NFL has a drinking problem. I have always said that people do waaaaaaay worse things while intoxicated than they do while stoned. Just look at the all of the issues that drinking has caused in the past few years. Two incidents involving DEATHS come to mind just off the top of my head - Dante Stallworth and the Dallas player who killed a teammate. Not to mention the countless front office people getting busting for DUI. And, yes, I do realize that pot is against the law. But I think we can all agree that just because a lawmaker or politician says something is bad for us or wrong, does not necessarily mean that it is bad for us or wrong.

buckeyebobcat

+8 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I am sure they will change the policy after Gordon's 16 game suspension.... Thats usually how things work out for Browns fans.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Contact highs in the Seattle and Denver markets will be all the buzz.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

-The Aristocrats!

jaxbuckeye's picture

The following analogy hit home for me about the whole absurdity of marijuana laws. I don't smoke, but I get pissed when I think about all my tax dollars that could be going to education, the homeless, or feeding the hungry but instead go against this absurd, hypocritical, and unwinnable war. 

A drunk driver will plow through a 4-way stop sign killing and maiming innocent people. Someone high on marijuana will stop and wait for it to turn green. 

+3 HS
mr.green's picture

If Air Traffic Controllers are allowed to have more marijuana in their system then NFL players and Olympic athletes are allowed to have 10X the amount in their systems then NFL players, then yes, the NFL has a weed problem. 

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Speaking of the NFL, Michael Sam is phonier than a $3 dollar bill, (and we don't need any more Sam threads, so I mention it here.)

He's always lamenting that he just wants to be known as a "football player", yet here he is doing some sideshow for the Oprah Network. What a fraud. And a guy who is a late 7th round pick getting a television series? LOLz.

Michael: You have enough going on with distractions and being not athletic enough. Keep your focus on the football field...that's what a real "football player" would do...instead of an attention-craving DIVA :) !

-5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

We also don't need any more disturbing pictures of his workout outfit at the combine. 

elitesmithie's picture

Ray Rice almost kills his wife

Josh Gordon smokes some weed

Only one is suspended for a year.

OSUpawn's picture

I would think the league is going to have problems enforcing marijuana when its legal in some states.  That like saying you can't drink alcohol.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.