Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Browns cut Vince Young - Bridgewater over Manziel rumors

jeremytwoface's picture
May 12, 2014 at 1:20pm
24 Comments

The Browns have cut Vince Young from the team according to Mary Kay Cabot...

There is also a rumor going around that the Browns had Teddy Bridgewater on their draft card and Jimmy Haslam had them change it moments before the pick had to be in.

I personally think the Bridgewater rumor is bogus...

As far as Vince Young is concerned, I'm not sure why they signed him in the first place, but he would have been lucky to make the squad anyway.

BROSEPH's picture

Pettine called the Bridgewater thing laughable today on the radio.

William's picture

The Bridgewater rumor is a load of crap. It came from Tony Grossi, I have better sources within the Cleveland Browns front office than Grossi. Hint: I don't have any sources with the Browns. It's also amazing how shit-tastic the quality is of the journalists that cover the Cleveland Browns, between Mark Kay Cabot, Tony Grossi and Terry Pluto there isn't a single decent reporter. 

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

The first hard hitting story Pluto writes will be his first. Heck, he can't even write well. He only writes his nonsense "thinking out loud" columns.

Norwalk's picture

Damn, I miss Hal Lebovitz.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I think Johnny having his career compared to Teddy and Derek is going to be really unfair. The Raiders really had a strong draft and strong free agency,so did the vikings. Cleveland should have quite a strong Defense for Johnny but Im not sure he has the weapons to succeed.I would bet if they knew they could land Pierre Desir where they did they might rethink passing on Evans  and Watkins over Gilbert. A draft where the Browns get Watkins and Johnny would have blown the internet up that's for sure.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Furious George 27's picture

I think they were hoping that Evans would fall to them, when that didn't happen they went with Gilbert. Watkins may be very good, but I don't think he's keeping the Bills from giving the Browns a top 5-10 pick next year.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS

Gilbert and a likely top 10 pick next year > Watkins...Non debatable. They could  have gotten Beckam Jr...They stayed true to their board and that is how you load up on pro bowlers. Next year almost has to address weapons.

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

This is probably the genesis of the Bridgewater story. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/browns-spent-100000-on-a...

As stated, who knows what Farmer and Pettine made of the report commissioned by Banner.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
Ashtabula's picture

I've heard multiple people question why they would sign Young and then release him.  First of all, and most importantly, they needed a few extra QB's to take some reps at their mini-camp, especially since Hoyer was coming off an ACL surgery.  Plus, many times teams will do a favor for a player or agent simply to keep their client active in the NFL circle (Titans connection with Young and the Browns' new QB coach).

luckynutz's picture

Sometimes you kick the tires on a guy like young to see if he can bring a veteran backup presence to the fold in case someone steps ahead of you and grabs the qb you were sold on I the draft. Covering bases basically. The draft has its surprises. Who's to say someone doesnt climb the order and snatch manziel before they pick again. Who saw minnesota reaching for ponder like they did? In any case, they got their qb. And young became expendable. This time last week they couldn't have know that would be the case.

Earle's picture

Backups? We don't need no stinking backups!

Same goes for wide receivers.  We've got Johnny Football now.

+5 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

"Johnny Football takes the snap... He is getting pressured from the left... He dodges the sack!! He turns to run right and hops over a LB... He tosses the ball up in the air and runs down the field to catch it!!! He makes a diving catch in the end zone!!! Touchdown Browns - Johnny Manziel pass to Johnny Manziel"

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Gisele would like to have a word with you about this. She says it isnt possible. But then again, hes johnny f*#king football. Hes pretty much superman.

Bolt's picture

When we cut Weeden I said on this site "Now watch them do the Brownsiest thing I can think of and sign Josh Freeman." It was as if they read my post and said challenge accepted. 

So now Vince Young has been shown the door. Now watch them do the Brownsiest thing I can think of and sign Jamarcus Russell. Your move, Cleveland Browns.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

VY had a cup of coffee in C-Town that was about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Vince - maybe it's time to hang up the old cleats

Hovenaut's picture

That was fast, VY even unpack?

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

jeremytwoface's picture

Well all of his possessions are being repossessed so I'm sure he didn't have much packed....

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Well played...

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I would have rather had Hundley next year than Manziel. But hey, hope I'm wrong.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Earle's picture

They could have two top ten picks...you may still get your wish.

+1 HS

They absolutely will have 2 top ten picks.With Gordon possibly suspended for the year the realistically could have the #1 overall and another top 5 pick. They hit the lotto for rebuilding teams.

-1 HS

No faith in Mariotta or Miller or Petty?

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

People say things like this every year. What were we hearing last year? The media was trying to make it out like this was going to be one of the best QB classes. "Tank for Teddy," Taj Boyd was being considered a top 5 pick, David Fales being considered a 1st round lock. Who is Blake Bortles? 

DIRECTIONER

Kindell's picture

Grossi is just mad because he said over and over before the draft that he believed Cleveland wouldn't take Manziel no matter how far he fell.