Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Johnny Manziel

MacG91's picture
May 12, 2014 at 10:39am
38 Comments

I was watching ESPN earlier and a few of the 'Analysts' started making comparisons about Manziel to previous NFL QBs. The first one made the cliche Fran Tarkenton comparison then a Steve Young comparison was made but the last one made me chuckle because it's probably the last person Brown's fans want to hear Manziel compared to.. A faster Colt McCoy.. If this comparison holds up, I pray for their fan base. 

Furious George 27's picture

McCoy was not horrible, just was not the same when he got the Helmet to Helmet KO from Harrison.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+4 HS
MacG91's picture

I think it more had to do with him not being able to throw a ball farther than 20 yards than that hit by Harrison. 

Mac..yeah

Who did he have to throw it to past 20 yards? Not saying he's a great QB, just saying he was decent based on the numbers he put up and he kept them in games.... Now if anything you want Manziel to win you games rather than keep you in it.

-1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

I watched quite a bit of both in college.  Other than being on the shorter side, there really isn't that much of a comparison in my opinion.  

MacG91's picture

I can see what he meant, both liked to scramble in college, throw on the run, don't have the strongest arm, very accurate but personalities are polar opposite. 

Mac..yeah

Earle's picture

Not a Johnny fan, but that's not a fair comparison.  Colt doesn't have close to the physical ability that Manziel has, either running or throwing, though he may have more of the "intangibles" Johnny lacks (work ethic, leadership, maturity, etc.). 

Just say no to italics abuse.

+1 HS

I can agree with you on maturity based on what we've seen in the media. However, I am not sure that you can prove he lacks the work ethic and leadership in relation to McCoy. You have to be able to have both to be a 19 year old QB.

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I've seen his work ethic and maturity questioned, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think Johnny showed against Duke that he is one hell of a leader.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

I am just looking at the side that, it takes preparation to put in a good pro day and he has worked with QB coaches... You don't make it as far as you do w/out putting in the effort.  judging work ethic is an opinion its not really measurable.

-1 HS
Kindell's picture

George Whitfield has worked with Manziel for 3 years, they put in 9 hour days and Whitfield says he has tremendous work ethic.  I think it's easy for that kind of stuff to get out there because of how things went down after the Heisman Trophy.  The nation made him a celebrity after that, he was still a kid and made bad choices.  It became easy for people to dislike him and put negative things out there.   All he has done on a football field though, he has to put in some work.  

I completely agree with you Furious George.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think a more obvious comparison would be Russell Wilson, but with more of a tendency to scramble. Bit on the short side but mobile, can make guys miss in the backfield, and an underrated throwing arm. Both are really accurate.

Of course, Johnny is going to throw some bad picks, but he'll have some incredible plays too. Russell is basically a more streamlined Johnny, much less prone to mistakes.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Very good on field comparison. Off the field Johnny and Russell are light years apart though.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think that's more of a credit to Russell than it is an indictment on Johnny.

Johnny definitely has a bit of a reputation, and a lot of people have said that he's immature. Fair enough, maybe he is, but if I was a college kid who had just won the Heisman, I'd probably be just as wild, if not worse. But he handled himself very well throughout the draft process. It's possible that's just him having a good PR team, but as someone who tends to be optimistic, I think it's possible that he's growing up. If you saw him in the Duke game, he seemed like one hell of a leader. 

Russell Wilson is an absolute class-act and is probably the best ambassador for the game of football as a whole. He will rightfully be the face of the NFL when Peyton hangs up the cleats. 

-1 HS

Wilson doesn't make many mistakes, because he has a run game that puts him in manageable situations and a great defense that sets up opportunities or reduces the need for your offense to take risks because they can make stops if need be.

-1 HS
MacG91's picture

The only comparison between Manziel and Wilson are their hight and their ability to scramble. Wilson plays to be safe and conservative while Manziel plays to make big plays happen and makes risky decisions. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

89 days until the first preseason game means round about 66 more Manziel threads to be started.... ""super"".

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Just wait until he gets his first completion.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Just wait for his first Interception. Its going to be brutal.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Just keep his mom away from Delonte.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
sharks's picture

Gruden compared him to Favre, and I thought that was pretty apt.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Yeah i can see that comparison, both a little cocky and play a unique style but what Favre has that Manziel doesn't is a cannon attached to his arm. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
Doc's picture

Phew!  I thought you were going someplace else with the cannon comment.

"Say my name."

+6 HS
MacG91's picture

Thats not a bad comparison, I forgot about him. 

Mac..yeah

Kindell's picture

I like the Fran Tarkenton comparison and hope that is true.  Also, Gil Brandt is the one who is really heavy on that comparison, actually he states that he belives Manziel is a better version than Tarkenton.  He has been around long enough to watch them both play.  They are both around 6 feet tall, and they both like to do the reverse pivit out of the pocket to by time and create some long crazy scrambles.

I think too many people focus on the negative things about this kid.  There are some things off the field that he could have cooled off on a bit, but its not like he is the only good football player to take media heat.  Mel Kiper said Clowney was one of the best draft prospects ever, but he also decided when he was going to play and how hard.  Johnny Manziel played every game and he gives maximium effort on the field.  Personally, as a Cleveland fan, I couldn't be happier that Manziel is going to get a chance to be the guy in Cleveland.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I honestly hope he stays healthy and doesn't try and do too much when given the opportunity.

Whoa Nellie's picture

Here is a pretty well-balanced article from Texas Monthly.  Warning:  it's LONG.  But, worth it to get some deeper insight.  It's far too easy to judge these guys just on hype and sensational "journalism". 

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/who-is-johnny-football

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Johnny Football's style of play, with his body, is not conducive to staying healthy in the NFL.

People like to compare him to Russel Wilson, because they're both sub 6-footers. But Wilson is thick, weighs more, and has much more muscle. Plus he's better off the field. So, it's not a good comparison.

-2 HS
BassDropper's picture

But Wilson is thick, weighs more, and has much more muscle

Johnny Manziel- 6 foot, 210 pounds

Russell Wilson- 5'11, 206 pounds

Also, what does "he's better off the field" have to do with staying healthy on the field?

DIRECTIONER

Haha man if you want to take them measurements and use them to fit an agenda that is fine but both were weighed and measured by the NFL combine. JF measured in at 5'11.

-4 HS
BassDropper's picture

I know...but if we are using that logic, then Russell Wilson is only 5'10 and 5/8ths and Manziel is 5'11 and 3/4. Johnny has Russell beat by over an inch. My point in the previous post was to compare weights, as the other poster mentioned that Wilson weighed more.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS

No way in hell is Manziel 210.

Also no way in hell Manziel is over 5'10" 1/2.

Wilson has bigger legs, Manziel has bird legs.

Manziel is also a punk who is in for a rude awakening. Wilson is a respected leader with no off the field drama.

If you can't tell already ... I hated that 1st round pick by the Browns.

-3 HS
BassDropper's picture

The NFL wouldn't lie when testing these players heights and weight. Manziel weighed in at 207 at the combine, and both Russell and Johnny's heights are exact. Give him a chance, when you start comparing the legs of each QB, it lets me know that you are reaching looking for something to complain about with JM. 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS

I've had my heart broken too many times, Bass. If JM flounders --- come hold me.  I'll need the brohug

-3 HS

For what its worth Johnnys hands were 9 7/8 and Wilsons were 10 1/4...Both have huge hands no doubt for their size but both are under 6'ft and both have similar builds.

-3 HS

Rookie hazing and initiation (if it's still allowed in this soft world) was created for guys like Manziel.

-3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Rumors out that the Browns tried to trade for Kirk Cousins before trading up to get Manziel.  Lulz.  Nothing says confidence like "You were our backup plan if we couldn't get that guy that backs up RG3."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350132/article/report-browns-off...

William's picture

They offered a 4th for the guy, and he also knows Shanahan's offense. This isn't a lack of confidence in Manziel, it's more of an attempt to bring in a guy that knows the offense, which would certainly help Manziel's development. 

-1 HS