Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Why Browns Why?

ITWASME's picture
May 9, 2014 at 10:06pm
53 Comments

Why must you torture me with your bad picks? WE NEED A WIDE RECEIVER ARE YOU FUCKING ME!?!? JOSH GORDON IS GOING TO BE GONE THIS SEASON AND YOU DON'T EVEN TRY TO REPLACE HIM!?!? Just don't be surprised when Johnny Manziel dies from having to run around with no receivers to throw to. You somehow crush my dreams every year. When will you learn Browns? When?

My2Sons's picture

Sometimes when a person uses foul language, it just slips.  When typing, it's different.  Then they are just showing their ignorance.

By the way, have you heard from the Browns yet?  I'm sure  they are concerned that they are in the process of crushing another of your dreams.

-5 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

My advice...never travel to England.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Funny thing, I thought the same thing about showing ignorance (or just being a dick) when I read your post...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

This is a football board.  People suppose to talk about tea and crumpets and proper etiquette?  I have a lot of four letter words I use as well when describing my Lions.  Nothing is worse then grammar nazi and foul language nazi on a football board.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

The position isn't completely bare... Donte Moncrief, Jared Abbrederis, Brandon Coleman, Jeff Janis, Martavis Bryant among others are sitting there and they will be fantastic values in the 4th round.

+6 HS
ITWASME's picture

True. But, with the situation with Gordon my frustration is more towards them not picking a top flight wide receiver earlier(Watkins, Evans, Benjamin, Cooks, Lee) to try to replace that production and help out what they are really bad at which is offense and also help their new young quarterback who may be stuck with Greg Little and a 4th rounder to help him into the league which I think we all can admit is a recipe for disaster

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Understandable. 

+1 HS
William's picture

Gordon led all receivers in receiving yards last year, no receiver in this draft was replacing his production, no one. The Browns stuck to their board, filled all of the holes on defense, beefed up the O-line, got their QB and added a first rounder. Farmer did a good job in his first draft. 

1stYrBuckIClub's picture

Moncrief gone in 3rd :( He was my sleeper pick, and I screamed out loud when we took a LB.

William's picture

I'll take Kirksey as a coverage backer any day of the week over watching Robertson flail around out there. The Browns' D is shaping up to be lethal next year. 

logamaniac's picture

The browns had a plan and are sticking to it. Would you rather them panic and reach?  

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Picking Watkins wouldn't have been a reach. :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
logamaniac's picture

maybe.  however they now have two first round picks next year while still adding talent in areas of dire need.  Did you watch Skrine last year?

Huge upside is Buffalo still has EJ Manuel at QB, so more than likely going to have a top 10 pick from them.

-1 HS
My2Sons's picture

You make fun of Buffalo when you're ( and other brain-deads)  counting on J. Football to pull the Browns out of their 50 yr. funk?  There is a reason he fell to 22 (anyone remember Brady?), and who knows how far he would have fallen.  Your best part of the season is now over.  All downhill from here.  Your best fa signing breaks his arm reaching for a pizza box.  The dog pound?  A bunch of fat men dressing like dogs, going to a football stadium, getting drunk, and having NOTHING to cheer about.  Just too funny.  Or sad.

-5 HS
logamaniac's picture

Where am I making fun of buffalo?  Where did I make claims that JF is going to save Cleveland?  I'm sorry I hurt your feelings with that post - hug it out bro?

+1 HS
lamplighter's picture

It's great to have a plan, but you have to be able to adapt and overcome unexpected events, although if they knew for 2 weeks it wasn't unexpected..

+1 HS
Duccivespucci's picture

They apparently don't think throwing the ball in today's NFL is a priority. I get a sense they are building the team in the image of  Rex Ryan's Jets teams in the past few years. Pettine is a disciple of Ryan's and he's comfortable with that style of team. All physical defense and running. Passing doesn't matter. Not the best team to model yourself after but puts the coach in a comfort zone.

Michael

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Running requires a RUNNING BACK.

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
William's picture

Alright, I have to say something, because you've been shitting on the Browns long enough. The Browns OL will be something like this next year: 

Thomas-Greco-Mack-Schwartz-Bitonio 

With both Tate and Terrance West as the RBs. Shanahan will be running a zone blocking scheme, for which the O-line will be well suited and for which Tate and West are well suited. The ZBS scheme that the Shanahans have run pumps out 1,000 yard rushers like a vending machine. I'm worried about the WR situation, but the last thing I'm worried about this year is the run game. Outside of Hyde, West was the top ZBS back in this draft....

Go1Bucks's picture

I am a Browns lifer, but I AM tired of the front office screwing drafts every year, and this year, although they got a couple of players with potential, they fucked this one up - again.  And I WILL be critical until they do it right as I would like to see us in a Super Bowl before I die.  We did NOT address the WR or RB situation in the manner that it should have, nor did they take a QB with the best potential to succeed.  

Go Bucks!

William's picture

RB situation: Ben Tate, Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell. They addressed that pretty well. Manziel has the highest upside of any QB in this draft, but yes, there is the potential for him to be an enormous bust. I agree with you on not addressing WR, but honestly, there was no one in this draft that would come even close to accounting for Gordon's production, no one. Sammy Watkins was not worth another 1st and a 4th, not even close. This team went 4-12 with Josh Gordon going batshit insane to the tune of nearly 1700 yards. Will it suck if they don't have him? Yes, but for the first time in awhile the Browns will have a good run game, and the defense should be downright scary.

The Seattle Seahawks won a Super Bowl with two guys over 500 yards receiving and without a single 1,000 yard receiver; the San Francisco 49ers had the 30th ranked passing offense in the NFL, both of those franchises are successful because they play lights out defense and run the ball down your throat, the Browns are trying to emulate that. 

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Can you explain in further detail how the run game is going to improve without teams game planning against Gordon? Inquiring minds would love to know.I would fully expect the offense to take a step back minus a 1700 yard beast of a receiver.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
William's picture

Because Shanahan's offense is predicated on using slant, under and out routes to create yards after the catch. You don't need a #1 for his offense to work, besides it's not like Jordan Cameron, a Pro-Bowl TE, isn't going to be on the field, he is. Teams with Shanahan have had the following ranked rushing offenses: 13th, 30th (#1 passing offense this year), 7th, 2nd, 1st and 5th. The guy knows how to get a team to run the ball, and Cleveland will have a very solid O-line with a very talented backfield. The Browns will run the ball well, regardless of their receiving corps. With Josh Gordon's ~1,700 yard season the Browns were one of the worst running teams in the NFL last year, guard play and the lack of talent in the backfield were a huge cause of this. You don't need good/great WRs to run the ball. You need a good scheme, a good O-line and a good backfield, and the Browns have all three of those elements. Yes, you still need a player to pose some threat as a receiver, but the Browns have that in Cameron and Hawkins.

+1 HS

Good reply. Very optimistic but solid answer non the less.Hopefully somebody can turn out like Alfred Morris.

William's picture

Thanks. If Gordon is out the Browns will clearly be in the bottom 3rd of passing in the NFL, but Hell, the 49ers had the 30th ranked passing offense last year, and are a great team because of their defense, offensive line and backfield. Football is simple really, whichever team controls the line of scrimmage wins, and I like what the Browns have down by bolstering the defense, backfield and offensive line. 

And if you're hoping for an Alfred Morris type watch out for Terrance West. Guy has a lot of potential. 

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Exactly William.

This situation reminds me of the Oakland A's management tried to get Billy Beane (Moneyball) to get an player to match Jason Giambi's production of 38 HRs - 120 RBI at 1st Base. Now, I know this is based on an movie, but its perfect for the Browns WRs situation. As fans we are viewing the lost of Josh Gordon and demanding the management to replace him (if lost for the whole season) with someone of equal production... It can't happen that's why I like what Farmer is doing in Undrafted Free Agency and likely Free Agency. Get 2 or 3 players to equal Gordon's production and it will bring balance to the team. With that said ... it can't make up for the lost of Gordon, but it isn't as bad as some Browns fan are believing.

+1 HS

The easiest way to make every skill position instantly better is to bolster the O-Line. Browns added a nice tackle and I completely forgot about Hawkins going up I-71,he is a legit threat that was never used properly. Ill wait to see what happens to Gordon because if  he plays even half the season things change drastically.

William's picture

The top two teams in the NFL (Seattle and San Francisco) ran the ball on over 50% of their plays this year. Cleveland it looks like is trying to emulate them by going with big CBs that can press, athletic LBs that can play sideline to sideline but have issues of shedding blocks, and with big OL. 

703Buckeye's picture

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+6 HS
BuckeyeChris's picture

I just feel like the front office tried to out-smart itself. All day long Thursday I was saying, "No need to over-think it. You have 3 of the top 35 picks. No need to trade up/down, etc. Take the best available player at 4, 26, and 35."  

We now know they could have had Watkins, Manziel/Teddy B./Carr and Hyde.  Yes, they probably would have had to trade up for Johnny F., but Watkins and Hyde (we now know) were there for the taking. 

I have heard several people ramble on about,"Building around the O-line..." over the last few days. Hmmm... haven't the Browns been doing that since 2007? Skillfully maneuvering through the draft, over and around numerous skill players on offense to build this "outstanding" offensive line (Thomas, Mack, Schwartz...)? And... they have consistently had the worst offense in the AFC North. Year in. Year out. 

+2 HS
William's picture

Except they haven't. The Steelers and Ravens both have worse O-lines than the Browns. The Browns issue has been guard play, which they fixed by drafting Bitonio, who will either slot in at RG or push Schwartz to RG and play at RT. NFL O-line rankings/analytics: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/4/

BuckeyeChris's picture

Ummm...but their skill players are MUCH better. That just might have something to do with the Ravens winning the.... Super Bowl two years ago?!  How did they EVER do that without an awesome, Brownsesque O-line? 

+1 HS
William's picture

Great deflection. You said their O-line was the worst in the AFC North, it wasn't, and so now you want to suddenly jump to the skill positions? 

BuckeyeChris's picture

Wrong. The state of the Browns' skill position players was the entire point of my original post. 

I said the OFFENSE was the worst in the AFC North. Year in and year out. My point is quit telling me how awesome our O-line is, because even with that O-line our offense... is terrible. We need skill players. 

I am frustrated wondering why, with that said, the Browns pass on offensive skill position players to trade down/get more picks next year. You need a WR, there's Sammy Watkins. Go get him! 

I was not trashing the O-line. I just think you eventually have to use this year's draft picks to make your team better... this year.

Sorry if I was unclear initially. 

P.S. Go CBJ! 

+1 HS
BuckeyeChris's picture

I re-read the original post, WILLIAM. I can see where you would have thought the last paragraph of the 1st post was a roasting of the O-line. My actual frustration is at the failure to use this years' picks to fortify the skill positions on offense (save for Johhny F., of course). 

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

I will never forgive the Browns for drafting Joe Thomas over Adrian Peterson. Thomas is great, but All Day is once in a generation great. I completely agree with you. Browns execs think they are all Bill Bellicheck and always trade down and stockpile picks, which they eventually blow. They could have had Sammie Watkins and Johnny Futbol. They need offense badly; it's a scoring league and defense is overrated. The offenses and rules as they are now will overpower even the best defenses. The best way to win in the NFL now is through the air and outscore your opponents, not count on shutting them down like teams did in the 80's and 90's.

+1 HS
William's picture

They need offense badly; it's a scoring league and defense is overrated.

Except for the Top 2 teams in the league (Seattle/SF), that got it done by playing defense. That historic Broncos offense looked great against Seattle. 

osubuck57's picture

Just like the Browns, pass on El Guapo, and take a division II RB...sigh

SCOTTC.

+4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

The Browns didn't need to take a RB as high as Hyde was projected to go. West is a very good value in the third round and picking him kept him from the Ravens, who were targeting him later in the round.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

I agree 703. I think the Browns are making dome great picks right now. They have addressed areas of need while also adding depth to positions of strength. That Desir guy they just drafted was an absolute steal. I'm extremely excited about whats going on in Cleveland right now.

" I'm a Buckeye "

Athens BuckCat's picture
+7 HS
Danify's picture

Paging the Browns Brandon Coleman, Jeff Janis and L'Damian Washington are sitting there @ WR. Give Manziel an big receiver to throw to. Ha.

RedStorm45's picture

...Aaaaaand they trade out lmao

Danify's picture

Ha. Tevin Reese, Shayne Skov, Brandon Coleman, Craig Loston, C.J. Barnett, Cody Hoffman, Kenny Guiton, Andrew Norwell and Jeff Janis are all players, if undrafted would be great to sign for the Browns. Imagine an Barnett | Whitner combo.

RedStorm45's picture

Barnett isn't good.  Turn on the B1G championship game and Orange Bowl.  May stick as a special teams player somewhere though.

Danify's picture

One name I'm amazed hasn't been taken is Shayne Skov.

William's picture

Skov is great when he can play, but he has a ton of injury issues. Someone will pick him up as a UDFA. 

BrewstersMillions's picture

I love sticking it to Browns fans but they are one of the clear winners in this draft. Lets assume that Manziel was their guy-they got the top or second (depending on who you ask) corner in the draft AND the guy they believe to be their franchise changing QB. Now I'm hard on Manziel as well but that isn't the point. The point is, Cleveland executed this draft perfectly by getting a great addition to the defense AND getting the QB that most people saw them targeting. Oh and an extra first round pick next year? Cleveland won the Game of Picks this weekend. Autumn is coming.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

William's picture

I think St. Louis came away with the best draft, Robinson and Donald are monsters, but I do love Cleveland's draft. Gilbert will slot in opposite of Haden, Desir will most likely play as the slot corner/nickel back and could shift to FS, Kirksey will instantly slot in at ILB next to Dansby. West will most likely provide Tate with rest throughout the season, Bitonio absolutely helps the Browns lock down the right side of their O-line, and Johnny Football is the epitome of boom or bust. The Browns didn't jump away from their board and reach for some WR, they stuck to their board and went for the best player available in their minds. The Browns will have an absolutely loaded defense next year, solidified their O-line, added the guy they think is their QB of the future, and added an extra first round pick. Hard to hate on the Browns' draft. 

-1 HS
My2Sons's picture

Too funny ! !

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Undrafted Free Agency Signings (Likely More To Be Added) - Browns

• Willie Snead IV, Wide Receiver, Ball State
  • Anthony Dima, Offensive Lineman, University of Massachusetts
  • Ray Agnew, Fullback, Southern Illinois University
  • Kenny Shaw, Wide Receiver, Florida State
  • Chandler Jones, Wide Receiver, San Jose State
  • Connor Shaw, Quarterback, South Carolina
  • Carlo Calabrese, Inside Linebacker, Notre Dame
  • Calvin Barnett, Defensive Tackle, Oklahoma State
  • Isaiah Crowell, Running Back, Alabama State
  • Blake Jackson, Tight End, Oklahoma State
  • Jacques Washington, Safety, Iowa State
  • Alex Bazzie, Linebacker, Marshall
  • Christo Lisika, Outside Linebacker, South Nazarene
  • Robert Nelson, Cornerback, Arizona State
  • Nickoe Whitley, Safety, Mississippi State
  • Jason Hendricks, Safety, Pittsburgh
  • Greg Blair, Inside Linebacker, Cincinnati
  • Corey Robinson, Quarterback, Troy
  • Gerald Ford, Wide Receiver, Valdosta State
  • Jacobbi McDaniel, Defensive Tackle, Florida State
  • Taylor Gabriel, Wide Receiver, Abilene Christian
  • Antonio Gillespie, Defensive Tackle, Troy
  • Michael Philipp, Offensive Lineman, Oregon State
  • Jonathan Krause, Wide Receiver, Vanderbilt
  • K’Waun Williams, Defensive Back, Pittsburgh
  • Zane Fakes, Tight End, Ball State

Intrigued by Jonathan Krause, Isaiah Crowell, Conner Shaw, Willie Snead, and Gerald Ford.

[Source]

William's picture

I like Snead, K. Shaw, Jones, and Crowell.