Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Will Johnny Football help the Browns sell tickets?? Seems so...

jeremytwoface's picture
May 9, 2014 at 12:01pm
28 Comments

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

He will definitely sell tix. His success, though, is tough to call. He is the Troll King, so he's destined to be hyper-successful and piss off most of the populace while doing it, but he is going to Cleveland, and the G0dz hate Cleveland. Would the G0dz rather troll the whole world with Johnny Football, or just keeping trolling Cleveland?

Here's a more in-depth look:

http://beneaththeboxscore.blogspot.com/2014/05/fit-to-be-king.html

MackHall400Series's picture

As a Bengals fan, I made a bet with a Browns fan that Johnny Football starts week 1.  The bet was for $30 and loser has to go out downtown in a wifebeater.  I'm still feeling pretty good about it at this point.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I would bet against that.... If Browns management wanted him to be the starter, they would have taken him at #4. The front office has already said they don't want a rookie starter to start the year.

Hoyer learned from one of the best QBs ever and I think he has a lot to offer Manziel if Manziel is willing to sit behind him and learn. I think the Browns staff feels the same way.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS

I really hope he starts week 1. Hoyer was good, but the Browns are still young, they should develop Manziel right now, like Seattle did with Wilson.

jeremytwoface's picture

For every Russell Wilson, there's a Brandon Weeden.

It's not always a good idea to throw a rookie into the fire from week #1.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Agreed, Jeremy. One of Pettine's strengths is reportedly talent evaluation, but I have no problem with sticking Manziel on the bench and riding with Hoyer next year.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

I totally see what you guys are saying, but the reason to sit a QB their first year is if you worry about their confidence. I highly doubt Manziel's confidence would wane with a rough rookie year. You learn way more doing something than watching somebody do it.

Peyton Manning attempted more passes his Rookie year than his second. His rating went up twenty points his second year. I don't think his rating would have been nearly as high his second year if he wasn't watching himself on film, seeing what he saw from a different angle, and then learning the speed of the game.

Cam Newton, RG3, Andrew Luck are all better because they started year one. Rodgers is great, and he sat for a few years, so it works both ways. Rodgers was sitting behind a hall-of-famer, though, so I think that's different.

jeremytwoface's picture

I don't think confidence is the sole reason you can sit someone the first year. There could be multiple reasons, but if we are going to be broad about it, I would say the biggest reason is development. That could mean developing a specific attribute (arm strength, accuracy, etc.) or developing his mind (confidence, playbook knowledge).

I'm not sure you can compare Manziel to Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. 

Like DJ said though, Pettine seems to be a good at evaluating talent so if it comes to the first week and he says Manziel is the man, I can't argue. But I wouldn't mind seeing him sit for at least a few weeks to see what Hoyer has.

+2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

You make very good points Brooklyn...I think he would have a better career not starting game 1. Maybe mid-season? I do not think the media and fan base will let him sit out the whole year. They need hope and we have a whole draft to go to address OLine problems and such.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

bigbadbuck's picture

I'm thinking it all depends on whether or not Johnny gets comfy in the pocket. He said so himself that's one of the things he needs to work on.

Baroclinicity's picture

I think you're going to end up lighter in the wallet.  Barring injury, Hoyer is the starter.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Wifebeater?  Them's church clothes in Cincy...

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
osubuck57's picture

I'd let him sit and learn, at least for a year. Hoyer has earned the right to be the guy, for now. Throw him to the wolves and you could lose him before he ever gets going. And a few more pieces need to be added to O-line before that happens. Otherwise, he'll just be another bust in Cleveland, lumped with all the rest.

SCOTTC.

+1 HS
highsteppin's picture

The Browns do not need Johnny douchebag to sell tickets.  In case nobody ever noticed, the Browns have been sold out even with a consistent 4-12 team.  This is not Cincy where they have a local TV blackout for playoff games.  The Clowns need players that will help them win games.  The tickets always sell out.  The Browns replaced one terrible billionaire owner for another terrible billionaire owner.  They passed on Sammy Watkins, bad mistake.  They over reach on a DB that they could have picked a similar one at 26, and they took a QB that was a mid second round at best.  In my opinion they could of had Watkins, Roby, and probably Su'a-Filo at 35.  But hey when your owner takes advice from a homeless guy, the future looks bright.

+3 HS

^^^^This guy just put on a fucking clinic on how to run a franchise.

-1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

They took the top rated CB and gained a 1st Rd pick by trading out of 4.... If Roby was the same player he wouldn't have been the 4th CB taken overall. With as deep as this WR class is you don't need a Watkins to compliment Gordon.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

bigbadbuck's picture

Frankly after the year Roby had I was surprised he was still taken in the first round

-1 HS
BuckWylde's picture

Ahhh, a ray of light and reason pierces the darkness of unfounded gloom goblin prattle, and incessant nayspeak! . . . fact and logic almost seen out of place here.  Good points Furious George!   

BuckWylde

In other news it was reported that the Manziel family bought 1,000 season tickets to Browns games.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

If you're a Browns fan who hates the Gilbert and Manziel picks, ask yourself, if they help the team win in the future, do the picks still suck as bad as you think they do right now?

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I love the picks personally....

The only problem with me is that I don't think they should have traded anything at all... for either pick. They could have gotten a quality CB if Gilbert would have gotten picked ahead of them. And the same with Manziel. If he get's picked, there's always Bridgewater at 26.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I'm with you. But my thoughts on the trades were that they went in knowing they weren't gonna make all of the picks (10 total) they had available. The extra picks were bargaining tools. For whatever reason Gilbert was their guy and they didn't want to risk Minnesota taking him (which they may or may not have done). Moving up for Manziel was interesting considering the teams in between 22 & 26 were more than likely not gonna take a QB, but they could've or some other team could've made trades to position themselves to pick him up and they didn't wanna risk it.

They gave up an extra 3rd rounder and their 5th round pick leaving them still with 6 picks, which to me wasn't giving up too much, especially if those guys pan out. Oh, and for the deal with Buffalo to move up to #4, they landed an extra 1st rounder for next year, so there's that too. 

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

I have no doubt Minnesota was looking long and hard at gilbert. Minnesota's defense was an absolute dumpster fire last year. And Zimmer is a defensive guy. We knew they weren't taking manziel. I have no problem with the move back to be in range to get gilbert, then moving up to ensure they got him. We need a corner opposite haden, and mcfadden and skrine are not it. Pleased with that whole scenario.

What im miffed at is trading up for manziel. Because that 22 spot seems cursed for the browns and qbs. Not to mention he was going to be there. I was praying for marqise lee. Or a lineman. And to top it off, Houston is apparently shopping the top pick in the second round now. Would have been nice to have some leverage and bargaining chips to get up and nab either lee or sua'filo. Oh well...its done. And they got the guys they wanted. Im just a fan...and im not terribly pleased with manziel. But it cant be worse than quinn or weeden right? RIGHT?

THEOSUfan's picture

I don't like pro football much.  I use it to help me take a nap on Sunday.

The NFL is as much entertainment as sport, and the Browns have combined ineptness with being boring.  I have no idea whether Johnny Football will be a HOF'er or a bust, and I don't know if the Browns will be more or less inept.  What I do know is that they won't be boring.  I might actually stay awake for a game or two if he is playing.

+3 HS

Nice post Fan and couldn't be more honest.

jonping67's picture

Manziel passes for 4,500 yards 32 touchdowns and leads the Browns to an AFC Championship game while hauling in Rookie of the Year honors.

Should I wake up now?

GO BUCKS!

BuckWylde's picture

NO!!! . . . continue to sleep and prophesy success!

BuckWylde

M Man's picture

Did some of you Cleveland Browns fans see the column by Jason Gay in the Wall Street Journal?

It is some beautiful sportswriting, to savor:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405270230465530457954784249...

-1 HS