Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Cleveland Browns will draft offensive tackle Greg Robinson at No. 4, or Johnny Manziel

Sebastian's picture
May 5, 2014 at 8:49pm
16 Comments

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes the Browns will take Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson at No. 4, and that if Robinson isn't there, they'll draft either Johnny Manziel or trade out of the pick.

Mortensen made his remarks on ESPN Monday, and clarified them for cleveland.com after it was widely erroneously reported that he expected Manziel to be the Browns' first option at No. 4.

Mortensen told cleveland.com that he believes the Browns will draft Robinson, the best offensive tackle in the draft, unless the Rams grab him at No. 2. He said he made his remarks in the context that the ideal scenario for the Rams would be to take Robinson at No. 2 and Manziel at No. 13 -- but that they might not be able to wait until No. 13 for Manziel.

He said he believes the Browns will opt for Manziel if Robinson is gone, or try to trade out of the pick. An NFL personnel man told cleveland.com that Robinson is drawing comparisons to Hall of Fame tackle Walter Jones.

The Rams have shown considerable interest in Johnny Football and some think they might even draft him at No. 2 despite the fact former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford has a base salary of $14 million in 2014.

One league insider speculated that Rams might be talking up Manziel to get the Browns to bite on a trade up to No. 2.

Mortensen also said he doesn't believe Buffalo outside linebacker Khalil Mack is a consideration for the Browns at No. 4.

-Mary Kay Cabot-

703Buckeye's picture

I would not mind Robinson, or even Matthews at #4. Of course I am biased as a former OL myself, but the Browns could have an elite OL if one of those two are added. As for other positions... None of the QB's impress me enough to warrant that high of a pick and there are plenty of good WR's to be had later on.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

BrewstersMillions's picture

Mortensen also said he doesn't believe Buffalo outside linebacker Khalil Mack is a consideration for the Browns at No. 4.

That's a dude right there. He is hands down my favorite player in this draft.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

William's picture

Best player in the draft in my opinion. Dude is a physical specimen, more so than Clowney. 

BrewstersMillions's picture

I can't shake the Clowney is a bust notion-not because of the SEC thing or because I'm a guy who hates hype (which I am) but he just strikes me as a guy who doesn't really care. One thing that can kill you at the top level is a lack of desire. I'll disagree with you on the specimen part, just given Clowney's unseen combo of Height, weight, and speed, but Mack isn't far behind. Mack dominated bad competition but also played great against teams that over matched his own-heck, Taylor Decker needed 3 or 4 games to assure OSU fans he was ok after Mack beat him mercillesly. What worries me about Clowney-and not Mack, a guy who was lightly recruited and now faces a top 5 pick-is desire\love for the game. At every level, he has been the biggest, baddest dude on the block. I don't know what kind of an off the field work ethic the guy has but it was clear this season he took plays off. Taking plays off in the NFL against grown men will not only be painful, it will create a really short leash with NFL GM's and coaches who don't care what you look like and how fast you run.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

William's picture

Really the Browns can't go wrong at #4. I'd be happy with any one of Robinson, Manziel or Watkins. 

Danify's picture

Browns aren't interested in taking an LB, which could be their version of Clay Matthews, Jr.? 

buckeyecityterror's picture

If this report it true. And mack is still there and robinson is gone. I see the browns trading back to 6 with Atl. I've heard they want one of clowney or mack. I really don't want manziel. Not saying he's not good. Just would rather take an offensive playmaker or lineman. Carr at 26 (if he's there). El guapo or corner at 35.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Danify's picture

Yeah. It would be smart to look at Atlanta for a trade. Plus, if they trade back to 2 spots with Mike Evans and | or Jake Matthews sitting there it's an no lose situation. Both can start for the Browns day one.

+1 HS
buckeyecityterror's picture

I agree. Plus add another 3rd - 4th round pick to pick up potential starters or add fire power to try to trade ahead of arizona for carr to make sure they get him.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

The browns aren't interested in taking a player at a position where they already have four viable NFL players, and just spent a top 5 pick on the exact same position last year... Seems like a solid strategy to me, especially seeing how drafting a tackle would improve us dramatically at not one, but two positions, allowing us to move Schwarts (sp?) to guard. A WR would also be a great choice as a significant upgrade to Little, and as insurance in case Gordon screws up.

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Clowney will be an outright BUST.

You heard it here.

-2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Browns OL has been poor. See no running game. Take a top OT at that spot or trade it. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Mack has to be a stud in the NFL - I would be ok if we landed him at 4

Knarcisi's picture

I'd take Mack at 4. 

Citrus's picture

There are a bunch of possibilities being thrown around. I have a feeling I am going to come away from this draft happy.
If it is a QB, well thats exciting
If it is Sammy Watikins, thats exciting, then we get even more excitement hoping the right QB falls to us
If its a T, not as exciting but moving Schwartz inside should make for a dominating O-Line, then QB excitement

I dig Carr. But I trust the Browns have done their diligence in qb evaluation. They brought plenty of them in for a looksie. Whichever QB they choose, I am OK with. I hope they pick up El Guapo in the 2nd. Would love to continue watching him play. With any of the options above and a backfield of Tate and Hyde, damn.

buckeyeboy31's picture

If anyone actually believes the BS that is being thrown out right now this close to draft day, I've got a bridge I want to sell you

+1 HS