Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

This is how Mike Conley shops for cars.

AngryWoody's picture
May 1, 2014 at 2:02pm
13 Comments
KBonay's picture

In LA and didn't test drive the Prius? SMH.... 

osu07asu10's picture

I see the sarcasm font there but Tesla = Prius to Conley...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

The guy that founded Tesla is also the only civilian to ever successfully launch a rocket into space and retrieve it safely.  His aerospace company contracts with NASA and many private corporations to send things into space.

My wife is in love with the Tesla cars.  Apparently, the guy is trying to make them more durable and more affordable.  The biggest cost is the battery, which is set up as an array that forms the entire underside of the vehicle and is susceptible to damage on the roadway.  He is doing research to make the battery array smaller, more efficient, and cheaper to manufacture.  

They have a Tesla dealership near Easton in Columbus, and maybe one day when I'm rich I'll get to own one.  Maybe my wife will even let me drive it sometime.  Ha.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Yeah the next Tesla that will come out is their SUV, the model X and that will cost similar to the sedan.

The Model S currently has a 265 mile range.

The Model E (the affordable car) is gunning to be under $40k and have a range of 200 miles.

brandonbauer87's picture

There's also plans to make different variations of the Model S. The price levels will be broke down by reducing battery capacity and vehicle features. 

Elon Musk is one smart and brave SOB. He's a true throwback business man. He has a vision and is not afraid to risk everything to achieve it. 

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I think that the only planned variations for the Model S are AWD, new seats (can be retrofitted to existing Model S) and actually a higher capacity battery for the S.

From what I've read, there are no plans to reduce battery capacity on the S, or offer a stripped down version to lower the cost.

That is where the Model E comes into play. However, the Tesla plans are constantly changing so you never know.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Constantly changing indeed. It was only 6 months ago that I read there would be 3 versions of the Model S.  They were in $10,000 increments, descending from the current vehicle. 

RedStorm45's picture

That thing at Easton is nothing (at least when I stopped by last year) - it was more of a futuristic-museum type thing with screens showing cars in development, not cars on site to test drive or anything.  It may have changed though.

osu07asu10's picture

Tesla dealerships won't ever be lined with cars like the normal dealerships. They may have 1-2 for test drives but then they will be ordered specifically for the customer.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

They have a Tesla dealership near Easton in Columbus, and maybe one day when I'm rich I'll get to own one.  Maybe my wife will even let me drive it sometime.  

It's nice that they even have like 6 charging stations, for the cars, in one of the garages. I've never seen anyone use them though.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Why on earth does a Range need a supercharger. I hope Tesla has been working on those engineering issues. I see some have caught on fire.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

niblick's picture

my neighbor works for tesla and I got to play with a model S once.  holy shit, i wont even attempt to describe it, just filthy