Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Donald Sterling Banned For Life

jeremytwoface's picture
April 29, 2014 at 3:12pm
122 Comments

The NBA also fined him 2.5 million and will try to force the sale of the team.

Good job NBA.

Thumbs up

hodge's picture

Moral of the story: don't be a racist dickbag.

+18 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

P.S. Hodge - I went to Manifesto and got a few different kinds of scotch... It was a dang good experience I must say.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+6 HS
hodge's picture

Niiiiice!  What'd you try?

I was at the Century Bar last weekend, tried a blend called Monkey Shoulder that was excellent for the price.  It's a blend of Balvenie, Glenfiddich, and Macallan, I believe.  Highly recommended for the $6.50 a glass price; definitely not as exciting as a single malt, but still fun.

Also had Old Barterhouse 20 Year Bourbon and Lock, Stock, and Barrel 13 Year Rye.  A delicious night indeed.

jeremytwoface's picture

I didn't try anything too crazy... They have a $4 and $5 happy hour so the prices are great.

I actually ended up trying all Glenmorangie scotches somehow lol. I tried the 10 yo, Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or. I was going to try Aberlour 12 but they didn't have it. I think I liked the Quinta Ruban the best.

My wife had a drink that was comprised of a Kentucky bourbon stout, butterscotch schnapps and ice cream...... yeah.

We got some food as well and it was excellent. Definitely one of my favorite restaurants now.

I'm going to go out and buy a $50-$60 dollar bottle here soon... Probably Macallan 12.

+1 HS
Boom777's picture

What ever happened to freedom of speech and who gives a shit what other people say. I don't like what he said but it's not illegal and this sets a terrible precident for freedom of speech in this country. Now we have freedom of speech zones. Welcome to the USS of A commrades! Dr. King said "darkness cannot drive out darkness only light can, hate cannot drive out hate only love can" but yet people are letting hate drive their motives, fueled by terrible media. He is wrong but people shouldn't let one person influence our country. He is a nobody 

Wherever you are, there you be!

-4 HS
hodge's picture

Freedom of speech guarantees you the ability to speak your mind without fear of legal prosecution. It most certainly does not guarantee you protection from the consequences of your actions. 

If I fill this forum with heinous and offensive language, I most certainly will not be arrested, but I surely will be banned from this board for life.  It's the same as being fired for being a complete dick to my boss. 

Sterling is in a very public position, and his opinions would damage the NBA's brand if they did nothing (tacit acceptance). Of course there'd be consequences for his actions. 

+21 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Thank you Hodge!

I hate people that use freedom of speech as an excuse.. yes, you can't get arrested for saying something someone doesn't like, but that doesn't mean you can go to your job and call someone by a racial slur and expect there to be no repercussions.

Also, this is hedging dangerously close to political talk.

+7 HS
Unky Buck's picture

It most certainly does not guarantee you protection from the consequences of your actions. 

So much this, Hodge. As TwoFace said, it's a horrible argument to use for those who don't actually understand what it is intended to be. The NBA has a brand to protect and it reserves the right to handle issues like this how they want.

+2 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

The difference is that, far from a nobody, he's actually a public figure and, thus, is open to public scrutiny when he says remarkably stupid things.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Don't agree with the poster but public scrutiny is not his issue but instead the punishment. 

Jack Fu's picture

I'm gonna leave this here.

+8 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

This^^^ is awesome

Nailed It!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Love me some XKCD.  This is just the same as the now-former CEO of Mozilla stepping down.  It likely would have been bad for business to keep him there.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

-2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

You think the CEO of Mozilla being forced to step down was fair? You're on f-ing crack then. That was the most ridiculous thing ever. Believe it or not, not everyone is for gay marriage, (i.e. religious issues).

You people on the left call yourself open-minded, etc. But when somebody has a perfectly fine viewpoint that just happens to be different from your's --- you think a mob mentality of oustering them from their position is okay. 

-5 HS

1.  I was mainly commenting about what the XKCD that was previously posted, which was about the Mozilla CEO (as far as I can remember).

2.  You are assuming I think it is fair.  I just said it (Donald Stirling situation) was a similar situation to that of the Mozilla CEO.

3.  No one forced him to resign.  IF it is bad for business, he shouldn't be CEO.  It was up to him to decide that based on the situation.

4.  It is definitely a slippery slope.

5.  There definitely are only two sides to every issue.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Drives me crazy when people say this. It's only a freedom of speech violation if the government intervenes. The Constitution only applies to the government's actions, not the actions of private persons.

If you said the same thing at work, and were fired, wouldn't that make complete sense? This is no different.

bigbadbuck's picture

Here's my thing about this tho, 2.5 mill is a drop in the bucket for this guy and secondly he's going to make an absolute crap load of money when he sells the team. Hardly seems like a penalty.

TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

It was the maximum fine allowed under the NBA Constitution

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Also, it's entirely going to charities picked out by the NBAPA.

Huge props to the NBA for handling this incredibly well. Adam Silver absolutely killed it in that press conference and, after his comments, the pressure is on the owners to vote unanimously to strip Sterling of his franchise.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Mark Cuban is already on board....

+3 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

True, but a lot of guys have money. Only a select few own pro teams. This will be an ego shot to him, for sure.

cinserious's picture

Wouldn't his ego and social status actually be BOOSTED by not owning the L.A. Clippers?

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

That's a good start no doubt.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Is he still allowed to buy NBA League Pass?

LEBRON

+7 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Nope... He has to watch every game at Charles Barkley's house while Barkley is commentating.

That's part of the punishment.

+17 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

That would be turrible.

LEBRON

+5 HS
OSUpawn's picture

Classic.... Got me to lol

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

At least it's not Reggie...

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Max Power's picture

The NBA had no other choice but to disassociate itself with Sterling. Its very sickening that in his comments he says that he provides blacks food, clothes, homes, etc yet he doesnt acknowledge that those same athletes are providing him with a sickening amount of revenue. Kudos to Doc Rivers for basically telling Sterling to shove his attempted conversation with him up his racist ass. Maybe you shouldnt own a franchise in a league that is more than 3/4s black if you are a biggot. There is no way that the Clippers franchise would survive if Sterling remains the owner. We will never erradicate racism but its great to see the NBA take a stand and show that there is no place for biggotry in pro sports and the outrage from the media and public shows that the world is fighting to stomp out the racist mindset still limgering in the older generation. I still wouldnt be suprised to see the Clippers boycott any further games until Sterling is gone. Good move Commissioner Silver

TheBadOwl's picture

Maybe you shouldnt own a franchise in any league if you are a biggot

Fixed that for ya.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

While he paid his way out of past incidents, his behavior finally caught up to him in a more public way than he probably ever imagined would happen.

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Yeah, Sterling has been a blight on the NBA for a couple of decades.  In some ways, this is a convenient way for the usually week-kneed NBA to get rid of him.  Still, this is a move they had to made, and good on them for doing it.

Denny's picture

It's gonna be really cool when he litigates this to death and then dies like a day before a verdict is handed down AKA ACTUALLY LITIGATING IT TO DEATH [via being super old and gross]

Taquitos.

+1 HS
Danify's picture

Don't agree with his views and think his way of thinking is disgusting, but as an free country isn't it against those same principles to ban an person for his opinion in an private conversation, which was recorded illegally without consent from Sterling? Isn't it our god given right to freedom of speech and pursuit of happiness. I'm trying to understand how this won't be overturned in court as an unconstitutional violate of his freedom of speech. 

+10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Apparently he was aware the he was being recorded.

This is absolutely not a free speech issue. Free speech simply means that he is not subject to legal punishment on behalf of the government. The NBA is not a government entity, he is a franchisee of the NBA, and the NBA has every right to disassociate themselves from him. His freedom of speech is not being violated.

If he had said something about illegal activity on a recording, against his knowledge, and the police acquired that recording, it would not be permissible in court, but the NBA are not the police. A private company can do whatever they please with that information, as far as I know. It's also worth noting that Sterling told Silver that it was indeed his voice on the recordings.

So, while anyone has the right to say really stupid racist statements, they are not free from any punishment dished out by the private entities that they work for.

+12 HS
Danify's picture

Ah understandable. Didn't think about it in that way. Kudos TheBadOwl.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

"If he had said something about illegal activity on a recording, against his knowledge, and the police acquired that recording, it would not be permissible in court, but the NBA are not the police. A private company can do whatever they please with that information, as far as I know. It's also worth noting that Sterling told Silver that it was indeed his voice on the recordings."

Yup.  That's exactly what happened to Hank Williams, Jr.  With the freedom of speech comes the responsibility for the consequences wrought by it.

+3 HS
Max Power's picture

Great explanation. I am not well versed in legal matters but I assume that Sterling could fight the ban and fine dished out by the NBA. I would imagine that he would be pressured to sell the franchise by the other owners in the league. Theres no other option for him. The other 29 owners wont allow him to further make a mockery of the league. Im not sure how the board of governors can force him to sell the team, Im sure they have enough power to pressure him to do so. The league would stand to lose millions in sponsorships if Sterling remains an owner

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm pretty sure ownership in the NBA is contingent on the approval of the other owners in the first place. Even if he tried to fight it, they could vote him out.

Edit: As for the actual lifetime ban, someone asked Adam Silver at the press conference if they thought Sterling was going to try to fight it and Silver said that the ban has already been enacted and that it's the part of the punishment that Sterling absolutely cannot fight.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

But the NBA is a government agency, thus the NATIONAL Basketball Association. Kinda like the Fed is the FEDERAL Reserve.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

-1 HS
ibuck's picture

It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out, if litigation ensues. etc.  

Seems some people think that since they are wealthy, they are powerful, and can do or say whatever they want, without consequences.

Have they never read any proverbs? Like "Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall."

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end !

If you can't win your conference, just quietly accept your non-playoff bowl game.

bafiesta's picture

In a way it is a free speech issue.  Sterling has a right to express his views without fear of criminal prosecution and the NBA has a right to express their condemnation of said views.  Your position would strip the NBA of it's right to free speech and to enforce existing contracts agreed to by both the NBA and Sterling.  

+7 HS
Denny's picture

Isn't it our god given right to freedom of speech and pursuit of happiness. I'm trying to understand how this won't be overturned in court as an unconstitutional violate of his freedom of speech.

The National Basketball Association is not the United States Government. That is all.

Taquitos.

+14 HS
Max Power's picture

I find it a little disturbing that Sterling had a relationship with ap woman who is multi-racial. Perhaps she was tired of his racist remarks and thats why the audio recording was released. She might be perceived as a gold digger but she dealt him a blow that went beyond his bank account. Even after Sterling is gone, will Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and Doc Rivers return to the Clippers? I would imagine that there would still be a lingering disgust following this franchise for some time. Personally I think leaving LA would be a little like admitting defeat. I hope they stick around and show that racism cannot be tolerated and can be overcome. Tough situation for all of them to deal with (nor do they deserve to deal with)

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

I love it when a bigot bites the dust...see ya later f*cknut.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

-1 HS
bafiesta's picture

I found it shocking that in addition to his repugnant comments, Sterling was basically saying he doesn't like hearing from his racist friends who criticize him because his girlfriend hangs out with black people.  He's freely admitting that he isn't man enough to stand up to his racist pals so he passes the racism along.  

+1 HS
Ethan_Buck's picture

I know this doesn't matter, and probably will be not a popular opinion..but I was watching FS1..and they had Jesse Jackson on..and being from Chicago, and knowing his opinion..made me completely disgusted with Fox Sports in general...to bring a known racist on your program to talk about another racist is asinine. /rant over

I dont always root for college athletics, but when i do (which is most of the time) I choose THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

+11 HS
Denny's picture
+2 HS
Danify's picture

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are pretty much hypocrites, who continue to say they are like Martin Luther King Jr. Which in my honest opinion is an insult to what MLK stood for. Jackson and Sharpton have narrow views of civil rights, while Martin Luther King was for everyone's right to the pursuit of happiness whether you were white or black, straight or homosexual. An true role model for how we should view our country.

+7 HS

iO?

I like taquitos as well.

+5 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Wait, how did sexual orientation get brought into this?  Race and sexual orientation are not one and the same, please do not equate them.  Also, seeing as Martin Luther King Jr. was a Baptist Minister, he probably would have been against homosexuality.

+3 HS
Danify's picture

It was an general civil rights reference. Nothing specific. Sorry for the confusion.

Tritz50's picture

Don't get this twisted Sterling was not suspended for being a bigot and racist, he was suspended for being bad for business.  This guy is 81 years old, he has been a racist for 81 years.  Had he made those same exact comments about mexicans would he have been suspended for life??  I highly doubt it.  Nobody would want to play for him or coach for him, that is why he is being banned from the league and forced to sell the team.  If the NBA really wanted to punish him they should have done a contraction.  Eliminate the clippers as a franchise and allowed all the players to become free agents.  Would have screwed over all the employees which is probably why it wasn't done but then there would have been no franchise to sell thus no money to be made by sterling.

+6 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

This is right on. Or, for those who want to argue that he shouldn't lose his franchise because "it's a free country, blah, blah, blah", keep in mind that had these views been known before he had the franchise, he would have never gotten it. Right now (or, more precisely, just before he was banned), he is bad for the NBA product.

The precedent has been set and it will be really interesting how they handle the first player to get caught making racist statements in a private forum.

+9 HS
Denny's picture

My guess is Richard DeVos is a bit uncomfortable right now, more so than players in the Association.

Taquitos.

-1 HS
clogan1032's picture

This is the interesting piece , the precedent, and how this precedent grows legs and begins to walk.  What happens when someone makes a homophobic remark, a remark against a specific religion, or a sexist remark?  Now you have now set a precedent regarding the treatment of bigots and I can't wait to see how it morphs in the future and if the NBA has the sack to continue to stand behind it.  I know Sterling will fight this and that will be interesting too.  Guy has been a racist forever and this sin't even his worst while being involved in the NBA.  Glad they stood up against him and can't wait to see how it all plays out.

+1 HS
Max Power's picture

Is Sterling divorced from his wife? Ive seen her called estranged but have not heard if they are legally divorced. If they are still married, wouldnt the team be 50% hers? Since she is not affected by the sanctions handed down by Adam Silver, is it possible for the team to still be owned by the Sterling family?

By California law she owns half of the Clippers. If she doesn't want to sell its going to turn into a circus out there in LA.

+6 HS
clogan1032's picture

Circus is right. I wonder if he has standing to file an anti-trust suit?  This whole thing will be flipped on its head soon enough. 

+3 HS
southbay's picture

Good point Colerain, it wasn't too long ago that the McCourts were, well, in court...  +1

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Does this open the doors for someone to buy the franchise and move to Columbus? They could be called the Ohio Aviators or the Columbus Clippers. (Would they steal the name of a minor league team?)

LEBRON

Ethan_Buck's picture

if they aren't the Ohio Frank-N-Furters..with Tim Curry in drag for a mascot, then I will be completely disappointed. 

History lesson, Rocky Horror Picture show was filmed in Ohio. AND!!! Ohio is the home of the Frankfurter in America, the first one ever served...was Ohio. 

I dont always root for college athletics, but when i do (which is most of the time) I choose THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

+5 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

so he is banned from the NBA, why would he pay the fine?

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

My thoughts exactly. No reason whatsoever to give the league the money unless there were specific contractual obligations requiring him to do so.

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

I'm sure he agreed to be bound by the NBA constitution and by-laws, which enable the Commissioner to levy the fine.  That is a contract.  He has the right to arbitration over the fine.  If he does not arbitrate, or if the fine is upheld at arbitration, a judgment can be taken against him and collected by attaching his assets.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

FWIW UCLA just decided to to reject a $3M donation from Sterling. Tax ramifications aside he's coming out ahead.

d5k's picture

Actually they pre-arbitrated commissioner's powers essentially so this is equivalent to a final arbitration ruling (the fine and suspension).  He can put up some fight on the termination of him as an owner/vote but he won't get very far fighting the suspension so what is the point of being an owner if you have a restraining order preventing you from enjoying any of the fruits of your ownership.

Bj Mullens over Sully's picture

The NBA could take the money from TV revenue distributed to each team if he chose not to pay it.

Favorite Buckeye: Obviously BJ Mullens

+1 HS
AcrossTheField11's picture

Don Sterling is a disgusting loudmouth idiot with stupid opinions.

His Girlfriend is a conniving gold-digging tramp and the worst kind of person alive.

The NBA Commissioner and owners are cowards that bend to all of the finger-waggers on their moral high horses... the same finger-waggers that would likely flip out if their own daughters brought home a boyfriend of a different race.  

Time and change will surely show how firm they friendship... O-HI-O.

+1 HS
Denny's picture

His Girlfriend is a conniving gold-digging tramp and the worst kind of person alive.

In direct contrast with a man who tells his girlfriend that she could have sex with an HIV-positive man if she wants but can't post pictures of herself with him or be seen in public with him, a man who sent his wife to pose as a census worker to get demographic information about his renters, a man who says that blacks smell bad and Mexican men drink and smoke all day, you say that his *girlfriend* is the "worst kind of person alive".

Okay. 

And the league are cowards for cutting ties with that very man. And people who are angered by Donald Sterling's being are probably hypocrites. 

Okay.

Taquitos.

+1 HS

I said he was disgusting... that pretty much covers it. And the league ownership are cowards. It would be one thing if they were truly outraged by these comments but to me, they fake outrage to save face with the people who pad their pocket books... maybe i'm just a cynic. Anything else?

+1 HS
Denny's picture

I said he was disgusting... that pretty much covers it.

Disgusting is in no way near 'the worst kind of person alive', which is how you described his former mistress. If active participation in discriminatory rent-seeking is lower on your list of 'worst people alive' than a 'gold-digger', I'm not sure what I can say.

And the league ownership are cowards. It would be one thing if they were truly outraged by these comments but to me, they fake outrage to save face with the people who pad their pocket books... maybe i'm just a cynic.

What would you have them do? Pretty much every league owner has publicly condemned Sterling's comments and the league hit Sterling with the strongest punitive action possible. While they're in a position where they're forced to, and they could (and probably should) have done so in 2006 when his DOJ trial was quite public, I'm not really sure what else you want to see from them. Would a lesser fine be less cowardly? Should the owners all line up and all personally spit in his face? 

It's really easy to be cynical about PR-type stuff like this. I'm not being condescending when I say that: it's my gut instinct a lot of the time. But in this case, the league has done everything it can to rightfully distance itself from that wretch of a man. It seems to me that you're disappointed by everything here (which is pretty understandable), but also there's no outcome that would make you in any way feel that a little bit of justice has taken place. The league did the best it could in a shitty spot. I don't see anything cowardly about that.

Taquitos.

Jack Fu's picture

I will say that it's kind of ... "cowardly" isn't quite the word, but I can't think of what is ... it's interesting that he's getting banned now for saying something racist when his racist actions - actions that were actually harming people - went under-reported and were completely ignored by the NBA for decades. Why now, and why for this? The answer is probably "because now enough people realize he makes us look bad."

+2 HS
Denny's picture

Different league commissioner, different media environment, the salaciousness of the sourcing, etc. all contributed. But it's difficult to look at the 2006 lawsuit and realize that it just slid by the league then.

Taquitos.

I don't think she's the "worst kind of person alive" in a literal sense.  That was me using hyperbole in attempt to hammer home the point that I think she sucks... a lot.   Rapists, murderers, terrorists, people engaging in human trafficing, etc. would take the cake on "worst kind of person alive" if you want my literal opinion, but feel free to nitpick my post.  I'll use hyperbole font next time to avoid any confusion.

In regard to what I would have the league do?  I'd have to think about that a bit.  I'd be strategic and calculating instead of brash and mob-appeasing.  I'd do everything I could to avoid setting this precedent.  What is going to happen when a minority NBA player  or coach gets caught saying something homophobic (Tim Hardaway) or makes any derogatory comments about any other race / creed / lifestyle. Will they get banned for life as well?  Will there be a double standard? 

+1 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture

So you get banned from the league for being racist, but if you get caught with rape or gun charges you get a raise.

Interesting. 

Brady Hoke ate my comment

+17 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Correct. Larry Johnson has since called for an all black league. Never mind though, that kind of racism is ok. 

+8 HS
schlichtersbookie's picture

I thought that it was funny that a media reporter asked the NBA commish 'what he was going to do to get more black owners in the NBA?' 

A Buckeye born and bred, a Buckeye til I'm dead.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

They cant force him to sell the team. They can make it uncomfortable to own it.  Otherwise...

Go Bucks!

-2 HS
d5k's picture

They can dissolve the team by 3/4 vote which is equivalent to ousting him as an owner.  Google is your friend.

Go1Bucks's picture

True, but then you have a plethora of issues that are going to arise as well.. Wife, half owner.  Players, instant free agents and broken contracts.  Employees, out of work and loss of healthcare.  Lawsuits from everywhere. And the Owner, known to be a litigious bastard, will not go quietly into the night. 

Go Bucks!

HattanBuck85's picture

A couple things:

First, are we even really that surprised? I mean, this is Donald Sterling we are talking about:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/donald-sterling-racism-history_n_5228992.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

Secondly, I'm very glad to hear the backlash from folks around the country (and on this forum). But it begs the question: why are many of these people (who are furious with Sterling) OK with the racist nickname of the Washington NFL team?

I can't believe I'm copying something from BleacherReport, but it does make you think:

"Is one form of in-sports racism really that much different from another?

Sterling doesn't want blacks in his arena. Snyder insists his name is a tradition worth keeping because only one in every five Americansthinks his franchise should change its name.

What's the opinion of 40 million people matter much, anyway? That's about how many people think the Redskins should change their name. It's also, coincidentally, just about the exact number of black or African-American people in America, according to the U.S. Census."

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

-2 HS

Good job NBA.

Because pandering to the mob is a good thing?

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Yeah that fine isn't really much to DS, I think I heard that a million dollars to him equates to about $22 for the average American, so basically it would be like one of us getting a $50 fine.  He could (although no one will want to be partners/work with or for him again) try to bring an NFL to L.A.

This made me chuckle...

Columbus Clippers: We're not THAT Clippers

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WTVN) -- The comments of L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling have gotten some social media hate directed at the wrong Clippers team.

"We actually did get a little bit of outcry after that did happen," said Josh Samuels who handles the social media accounts for the Columbus Clippers minor league baseball team.

Some of the tweets were profanity-laced, but none have been too nasty. However, there have been enough that the team posted a tweet to remind people that they aren't the NBA franchise. It's actually a tweet that has to be sent a few times during the NBA season.

"Even though we do that tongue-in-cheek reminder, we do actually get complaints about Chris Paul and what Doc Rivers is doing substitution-wise and things like that," Samuels said.

The Triple-A affiliate for the Cleveland Indians hasn't had to do too much work to clear up the confusion.

"A lot of people have actually done our bidding for us where they correct people," Samuels said.

He says after an initial spike, the comments have died down as people realize the mistake.

"This whole time I thought the owner of the Columbus Clippers made racist comments instead of the LA Clippers," tweeted @A_Ragh.

Some NBA fans in Columbus have tried to lobby the league to move the basketball team to Columbus.

Ken Schnacke, chairman of the baseball team, says the L.A. Clippers and Columbus Clippers are the only two professional sports franchises to share that nickname. Columbus actually used it first.

Danify's picture

At least they wouldn't have to change the name. Clippers. Ha.

Denny's picture

Minor League Baseball: forever the best.

Taquitos.

ScarletNGrey01's picture

Sterling might be able to maneuver around this by "selling" the team to a member of his family and run things behind the scenes.

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

In my opinion - he is going to have to sell the team - No one will want to play for him - no one will want to coach for him and no one is going to give him any money for advertising dollars. Season tickets will be depleted next year so it would be in his best interest to sell the team and reap the benefits of his 15 million dollar investment before the price drops.  

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Very true.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Now I am hearing that he may try and sell the team to his family and run it like a PUPPET MASTER,

+1 HS

I think this broad set him up for Magic Johnson.

Spike Lee is a bigger racist. 

-1 HS
AndyVance's picture

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the greatest player in the history of the game, probably penned the definitive piece on this issue. Definitely worth the reading.

+1 HS

Jason Whitlock's article is also disturbingly sane.

Culture Clash

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'm shocked. I had no idea he had that level of rational thought in him. Thanks for sharing, really.

+1 HS

I had essentially the same reaction when someone on another board recommended taking a look at it. lol

In retrospect I probably shouldn't have posted it as a reply to Abdul-Jabbar's OpEd because even when I don't agree with Kareem he is always worth listening to.

The thing that bothers me most about this entire episode is how ridiculous the response is. Stirling has lost actual discrimination suits and nary a peep is heard, but let a vindictive ex-gf goad him into saying a whole bunch of stupid stupid and then people decide to start grabbing the torches & pitchforks. 

Actual discrimination? Meh who cares. Thought crime? BURN HIM!!!!

It's ridiculous.

+4 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

Good read.  Thanks for the link

+2 HS
bafiesta's picture

Well thought out piece, but I absolutely disagree with the conclusions.  He gets no pass from me for saying these things in private to his girlfriend.  We all choose our companions in life and we choose what we say...Sterling choose poorly.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the greatest player in the history of the game,

You spelled Michael Jordan wrong. XD

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

The power of social media.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

hit_the_couch's picture

Too soon?

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+9 HS

Nope. Humor is one of the best ways to deal with the idiots of the world.

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I am not for racism whatsoever, and I do not agree with Sterling but for the most part what I got out of what he said was he doesn't like minorities because thats the way he was raised. Now, this is freedom of speech to start with. He can feel however he wishes to feel. Secondly, he didn't commit a hate crime or anything like that so why does this type of thing warrant this type of reaction from fans, players, the media, and now the NBA front office itself? When will it stop with him? When he is crucified? Racism is everywhere, its something thats been a part of human existence pretty much forever (the Greeks hated non-Greeks and enslaved them, Phoenicians, Romans, all of the ancients did this). Is it right? Who really knows how its supposed to be. I don't get how Sterling's comments are anything different than rap artists using racial slurs, and they profit off of that, yet its just "a part of that culture". The best response for this was to ignore him to the best of anyones ability. Look at how Dani Alves, Balotelli, etc. react to the banana throwing racist attempt, they make a mockery out of it, they don't flail their arms around in anger. Now, when someone throws a banana, they won't think "monkey" like they usually did, they'll be laughing about how Alves ate the one thrown at him and others around the world are using it as a symbol of unity against racism, it removes any power that symbol had as a symbol for racism. The initial outrage has now sparked something that is out of control and given the nature of this type of thing, it is unlikely to slow down until Sterling is dead, meanwhile Joe Paterno is getting a new statue in State College. This has turned into an outrageous situation.

+5 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I think that's an important distinction. We all have freedom of speech (with some exceptions, like the workplace, etc.) but we're also all accountable for dumb things we say, too. In short, freedom of speech doesn't absolve one from ramifications of said speech.

FROMTHE18's picture

Agreed. However, I don't necessarily think punishing someone that extensively is warranted. I think theres a line between disagreement and taking someone's life away. In this case, I doubt losing the Clippers really hurts Sterling too much, especially since he'll probably make more money than he deserves given how many people are considering paying for it to make some sort of statement, but if you were take this type of response and apply it to any instance of racism, it could be catastrophic. I think this is setting a pretty dangerous precedent, especially considering he didn't commit a crime or apply his feelings towards more heinous means. The outrage for this singular incident is almost comical and very hypocritical considering how frequently these types of things happen. Hypocritical in the sense that racism frequently occurs during a given day, yet no one is demanding the individual responsible be essentially thrown in jail for their beliefs. Whether you agree or disagree, you can't presume that an opinion (regardless of how normative it seems) is neither 100% or 100% wrong, it is simply an opinion. There are so many innocent 'bystanders' being grouped in with Sterling just because he owned the Clippers. From the front office to the popcorn vender, they are all getting affected by a differing and disagreeable set of statements from an old man who grew up around racism. Ive lived abroad for nearly a decade, in England, France, and now Spain. The anti-American stuff I get is frequent. Ive been blamed for lack of free healthcare, the war in Iraq, something about slavery a couple times, everything from standard anti-American jokes to things as ridiculous as being grouped in with Nixon and government conspiracies and corruption. I just laugh at it all. For anyone that thinks anti-American or anti-Canadian, etc. etc. is somehow less racist than being anti-Black, anti-White, etc., they are essentially the same thing, being disliked for what you are rather than who you are. Some people like Americans, some people hate Americans, its the way it is. Some people like African Americans, Whites, Chinese, etc./don't really notice skin color or ethnicity and some people don't. Theres no sense, in my opinion, for going mental at someone who may sound like a fool, just disagree and move on. Its like a troll on any message board. They are there, generally, to be pricks. If you respond and get mad then they get what they want/you are confirming their method. If you don't respond, they'll just fade away/they won't disrupt anything. Racism, in all forms (it does extend beyond just skin color) is put in the spotlight because people choose to put it in the spotlight with their responses. The more people talk about it, the more people are going to think about it and thus, inevitably, some will agree with it. The best response is not to necessarily do nothing, but to in a way, take the high road. I don't see this Sterling situation going away anytime soon, and per a conversation I was having with some friends last night, its being exploited by the media to generate page views and ratings (who doesn't have some sort of radical opinion about racism?) and many sports news agencies are, either directly, or indirectly, using it to get attention for the NBA and the NBA playoffs which no one really gives a damn about anyways. Why is Sterling so much more important than the average racist, many of whom have committed crimes in the name of their racist beliefs and get barely a headline in the news? Im not trying to make Sterling a victim, Im simply saying have consistency, and the Sterling situation is either setting a dangerous precedent or worse, continue to punish the guy to oblivion, which I believe the punishment is already excessive. 

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Like I said below, no one is getting thrown in jail for this... that's what freedom of speech means. You can say whatever you want and not get thrown in jail (unless maybe you say you are going to blow a plane up or kill the president). 

I agree that racism happens every day, but this time it happened with a high profile person who owns part a revenue sharing league. This hurts the whole league and the other owners and the commissioner won't stand for that. They can't just "disagree and move on" because this WILL affect ticket sales and merch sales and everything like that. Hell, the players probably would have boycotted playing (IN THE PLAYOFFS) if the NBA didn't bring down the hammer. That not only affects the LA Clippers, but every other team in the league.

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

When I was in the army, I heard the occasional story of someone getting locked up for saying things. These things did not involve threats either.

http://truth-out.org/archive/component/k2/item/87552:army-imprisons-sold...

This guy got locked up for talking out about stop loss; something we all hated very much and even cost some Joes their lives.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

jeremytwoface's picture

Freedom of speech only means that you can't get in any legal trouble for something you say... This is unlike other countries where you can get executed just for saying something that the government doesn't like.

I can't stand when people throw out "freedom of speech" as an excuse as to why someone in these situations shouldn't be reprimanded.

You can't go into work and start spouting racial slurs to everyone without having some sort of punishment. They can't arrest you, but they sure can fire you. They have every right to.

wilkins0802's picture
Guess how much I care about what this dick bag said? Oh wait...I don't. Yes, his comments were uncalled for, and completely offensive, but who honestly cares? He's a racist prick, and losing $2.5 million, and selling his team are not going to change that. I totally agree with the punishment, but there are plenty of more bad things going on in this country, and world to worry about this racist prick.

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Anyone remember the old Mentos commercials? They were pretty simple. Dude would be walking around and stupid, embarrassing, or crazy stuff would be happening around him or because of him, then he'd hold up a package of Mentos and everyone would give the ol "ohh ok" silent nod-like everything that happened was ok because of Mentos.

This whole "Freedom of Speech" thing reminds me of that. Freedom of speech isn't the mentos you hold up at the end of doing something stupid that makes everyone say "ohhh ok, its all good". Freedom of speech allows one to express his opinions and not have to face the gallows for doing so. It doesn't protect you from being released, fired, fined, or otherwise punished for offensive actions. Work for any major company in America and try to see how far the ol 'freedom of speech' defense goes when you make comments on race, religion, sexual preference, etc. And that isn't a bad thing. There isn't a place in the world for public opinions like this-and before anyone wants to say this wasn't a public opinion, good job. This isn't the first occurrence of Donald Sterling's racism. Bill Plaschke (douche that he is) wrote an article saying, basically, 'Well duh" when it came to light that Sterling was a racist. Now, it begs the question-if it was so known about this guy (and it was) why now are people acting? I'm glad the dude got the penalty he did but I wonder where the outcry would be if Magic Johnson wasn't in the middle of this. If it wasn't a picture of a famous black dude that started this whole thing, would anyone care? Generally speaking, the media doesn't care about the poor, downtrodden minority but throw a famous one in there and BAM you have a story.

My point is-Sterling's status as a known racist shouldn't be a shock to anyone. I'm glad he got burned here but where was the outcry before? This isn't anything new.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

"...where was the outcry before? "

There wasn't one; so he got to keep his job.  Capturing the media and public's unyielding attention isn't so much as what you say or do, but the timing of it and its overall salience in the news cycle.  Sometimes the storm blows over and everyone forgets about you; but once your name comes out of the Great Gumball Machine of Public Outcry, there's going to be blood because the consumers demand it.

Though Sterling's racism wasn't anything new, no one had a fresh, tangible example on their mind until this came around.  There's no rhyme or reason to this nonsense, but it does serve to show that the more shit you put into the world, the more likely it is to come back and bite you eventually.

#Karma, indeed.

topgun67's picture

1.  As an immigrant, I love this country - freedom of speech is one of the inherent rights we all have regardless of race, color, religion, etc. 

2. Freedom of speech comes with accountability for one's words both written and spoken.  Especially in era of social media, one needs to understand that what one says, posts, twits, all can be used against you.  Sterling apparently said something in private to one of his girl friends, but he is accountable for what was said.  IF he were just a regular Joe, no one would prob care and his girl friend prob wouldn't use it against him, but he is a billionaire who owns a NBA team.  enough said

3. i have many African American friends, and unlike what media reports, at least my African American friends think there is some over-reaction.  Some think it's no big deal (mostly because through their lives, they have dealt with bigots I suppose).  To me, the society in 2014 (through media who reports it and won't let go of it), has no tolerance for anything like this - issues related to race, sexuality, etc.  This isn't our grand father's times. 

Lastly, Sterling will make out big time here from monetary view.  NBA might even have to pay him to exit / force sell, and I am sure NBA or other owners will pay him to get the heck out.  Of course, the world will outcast him, but doubt he cares. 

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I think this situation is a good reminder that, for good or ill, we are all representatives and ambassadors at all times for anything that we are associated with in any way. 

If you have an Ohio license plate and you drive like an idiot, people from out of state will think all Ohio drivers are idiots.  Likewise, if you have an "insert bumper sticker here" on your car and you drive like an idiot, people will think anyone from that organization, or political group, or parent of child from that school, etc, is an idiot.  If you proclaim a particular religion and you act like a hypocrite or say something stupid online, people will think everyone from that religion is a hypocrite or is likewise stupid or ignorant or what have you.

When people make those judgments, it not only affects you, but it affects the perception of others with similar associations to yours.  Therefore, you may have the freedom to express yourself in any way you see fit, but know that you do not express yourself in a bubble and there are consequences both for you and for others.  So if you want to make racist remarks, even in private, you have now tainted your entire organization as racist.  The organization now has the responsibility to clean up its public perception, and if that means you are removed from the organization and fined to that end, then it is justifiably done.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

The only danger is the precedent that this sets. However, I agree that he should be punished for what he said. I applaud the NBA for being the only league with the guts to punish owners harshly (looking at you Roger Goodell, for doing NOTHING about Irsay's DUI).

Also, how will the league deal with LJ's Tweets? While it is not quite in the same vain as Sterling's, he does advocate segregating the NBA and starting their own league, solely based on race. Will he be punished? I do not know, and am not sure he should, but it is interesting to contemplate.

Wake me up when football season starts.

-3 HS
dc28's picture

ONE QUESTION I HAVE IS THIS: So, if an NBA player goes home and knows that he is being recorded and uses racial slurs, is he going to get a lifetime ban and fined too? I agree with what the commissioner did, no doubt it was swift and zero tolerance. I just don 't think we fully know the ramifications of this until someone else does or says something as stupid as Sterling said.

Go1Bucks's picture

One thing I now get from this and will live life by is that Im not going to tell anyone what I think, trust anyone, because they may be recording and not give a shit about anything said by anyone cause this whole thing is making my head hurt.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Jeeves's picture

I saw that Floyd Mayweather could be a possible co-owner of the Clippers if his proposed ownership group is successful so now is a good time to remind everyone what a racist piece of garbage HE is. Oh and by the way this racist rant was made for public consumption.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5527403

It would be pretty embarrassing for the NBA if this guy gets part ownership of a team after Sterling's exit.