Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins Open Thread

buckeye4life050233's picture
April 28, 2014 at 7:03pm
44 Comments

Here's to hoping the CBJ can force a game 7 and maybe steal the series from the penguins.  Go Jackets! #wearethe5thline

FROMTHE18's picture

welp, that didn't take long to suck

+1 HS

Why is it that whenever Pittsburgh scores it seems like Wisniewski is always the person that is scored on?  Management definitely needs to trade him or ship him to the AHL, he is our worst defender most games

+2 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

Wiz is an OFFENSIVE defenseman.  He's here to QB the PP and has the ability to get shots through to the net from the point to allow for tip-ins and rebounds.  He's not here to shut teams top lines down, that's Fedor and Murray's job.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

That's not ALL Wiz is supposed to do.  He was easily the worst player in the NHL during the playoffs - but some blame has to go to Richards for not benching him with that injury.

And yeah, we got so much offense from Wiz this series...

-1 HS

With all the extracurricular post play stuff they allowed Pittsburgh to do in game 5 and the first resemblance of it from a jacket player draws a penalty, it is unbelievable how unbalanced the officiating has been in just about every game in favor of Pittsburgh this series

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Sour grapes man. The CBJ benefited quite a bit from calls in Game 4.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

not really. they ended up with 1 or 2 more penalties.  that is the only game this series where they led power play oppurtunities.  all of the other games the penguins have had 3 or 4 more chances a game.  They also got called for a bs "snowing" the goalie penalty and then Pittsburgh blatantly got away with a stick to Bob's face last game with no call.  It is very one-sided.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

How about in the first period when Johansen chopped Crosby's stick in half when he was on a breakaway?  He was behind him.  That could have been called a penalty shot but nothing was called.  Or when Glass was clearly flattened by an obvious high stick behind Bob's net with no call.  Or that embellishment call on Kunitz after the CBJ was called for slashing him.  That kept the Penguins from going on a 5-3 and instead gave the CBJ a PP that they scored on.

Admittedly, that snowing call was bullshit.  I'm sorry you don't like the calls but it is going both ways.  

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
d5k's picture

embellishment was Kunitz's second embellishment of the game.  First one led to a goal on the PP, and I still don't get how you can call a guy for a dive AND still give the penalty that he was trying to draw...

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I dunno, I think it's been bad both ways. I concede that was a weak call that led to the second Malkin goal. But right before that first Malkin goal --- they missed a CBJ player hooking Crosby. Maybe it was a "make-up" call (?). And Dubinsky has repeateadly got away with crosschecking, while Wisnkiewski has got away with embellishing.

Also in game 4 there were some very bad calls. The Penguins got some early calls in their favor, but in the second period the refs definitely gave CBJ the benefit with some penalties against Pittsburgh (the one against Kunitz while Pittsburgh was on the PP comes to mind) and no-calls on CBJ (the high stick against Glass at the end of that second period).

Wisniewski takes bad penalties, I've noticed.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

See?  I wasn't the only one that saw those calls in Game 4.

+2 HS

Man, what the hell is Wisniewski doing out there.

Edit: taking yet ANOTHER dive. I guess that's how he tries to make up for his sucky play

+3 HS
d5k's picture

I definitely do think the Jackets need to upgrade their defensemen if Wiz is in the top 4.  Murray and Savard are going to be good in the long run though.

Wiz compounds his giveaways with really dumb icings and penalties.

+1 HS

Murray & Savard for sure show some promise...the future in Columbus is definitely looking great.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Ohio professional sports teams....

LEBRON

-1 HS
d5k's picture

How many people outside Columbus had this series going 6?  I like where the team is going, need to shore up a couple areas and keep developing the kids.

+4 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

It's not that, it's the part where they go down 4-0 in the biggest game of the season. I'm 100% proud of them going to game 6.

LEBRON

Deadly Nuts's picture

Double Post

LEBRON

+1 HS

Well this game was pretty much over already until the huge rally.  Great season by a great group but it has been evident the past couple games we just don't have the defensemen that can stick handle and make on time stretch passes.  Too often we rely on the forwards and centers to take the puck from blue line to blue line.  Management definitely needs to overhaul some to most of the defensemen.  Hopefully it clicks next year with Horton fully ready to play uninjured.  We need 1 more bigger name to come here in free agency who wants to be here (unlike Carter and Gaborik)

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Yep, Murray is the only one who can handle pressure and find a pass, the rest just hack at the puck when they win a 50/50 battle.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I watched the entire 2nd period. That's the most consecutive minutes of hockey I've ever watched. Ever. I don't really know shit about hockey, but I can tell the Jackets are young. They're out skilled, they just try really effing hard. I could probably get into this. 

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Playoff hockey is amazing. All sorts of crazy last-minute goals and overtime games and shootouts. It's one of the better postseason tournaments in all of sports.

Football is complicated...

The Rill Dill's picture

Only in Columbus can a team play its worst when all the marbles are on the line.  We have seen this QUITE often, around here.  Status quo.

-4 HS
gm3jones's picture

Pens are a better team. The Jackets won simply because they have the most heart of any team I have ever watched. We have a  few stars in the making (Jenner, Murray) but they are not even really close to being a star yet and they almost forced the Pens to game 7! You must of been watching a different hockey game. Or a troll. I would beleive both.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

The Jackets didn't play their worst... one of the Pens "superstars" finally showed up and took over a game, and it still was almost not enough.  Damn good showing by the boys in C'bus.

d5k's picture

Crowd is still into it with 15 left in the 3rd down 4 goals... you can tell there are some hardcore diehards who have been waiting a long time for a good team.

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

Yep. I have been very impressed with the CBJ fans. They have been loud as hell every home game in this series.

+1 HS

I'm still kinda pissed as a Pens fan (& CBJ fan) we had to play Columbus. I wish Cbus was in the West so we wouldn't have to play CBJ unless it was in the Finals.

+4 HS

looks like I spoke too early they got back in this thing. holy cow they actually got a chance to pull this thing out

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

CBJ certainly put a scare into me. Better than a lot of seven game series I've seen.

+2 HS

Go Pens! .. but Great series CBJ!

+4 HS
Bucks's picture

Was hoping for another but tip of the hat to this team and the fan support. Pretty entertaining series!

+2 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Now that was a finish to a good series.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Another great game by both teams. Fantastic series.  The Jackets didn't come out of the box as strong this time and its always tough to dig out when down.  Made a great stab at it though and time was our enemy.  Shame the Pens had 4 so the final would have gone to OT or shootout.  Congrats to the Pens for a great series and Thank you CBJ for a great season and looking forward to more of the same next year.

Go Jackets!

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
charles's picture

Great series.....go Pens!

Word to the wise....complaining about penalty fairness is the lowest form of hockey analysis.  In the playoffs, you're gonna be irate when your team gets called on, or you think there should've been a call on the other team.  What do you expect, 9-0 power plays in favor of your team?  

+1 HS
Danify's picture

No, but some of the penalties (called both ways) were pretty shaky and inconsistent for an series this closely matched with 5 out of the 6 games being 4-3. Too many overall. I prefer an let them play format aside from clear penalties.

+1 HS
charles's picture

Only way to solve that is to put 4 more refs on the ice, or add instant replay for penalties. I don't want either. 

Its a fast game.  Just imagine being eye level with everything. We're all viewing from the eye in the sky. 

+2 HS

it's not so much complaining about fairness it is complaining about equality throughout a game.  if a certain type of action i.e. "snowing" the goalie is called a penalty in one game against a team and then the opposition puts his stick in the mask of their goalie in the next game and nothing is called it emboldens inequality.  Now those plays really had no outcome on the series but it was an example.  Granted however the Jackets definitely had to play a little more on edge and hope some penalties weren't called bc they were outmatched in the finesse/skill department in this series. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Almost Almost - the Blue Jackets had a great season and they should be so excited for their future, their team is so young. 

Nice comeback in the 3rd period.

+2 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

That was painful... in more depressing news, we still have 123 days left before kick-off...

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS

This team is a couple of players away from raising the cup.  Jenner will be Captain in two years and they'll be in the SCF within three years.

RedStorm45's picture

Wisniewski = Pens MVP so far.

+1 HS