Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Any Buckeyes running at the Illinois Marathon on 4/26, or elsewhere this year?

Buckeye in Illini country's picture
April 25, 2014 at 2:05pm
6 Comments

I'll be running my first half marathon tomorrow at the Illinois Marathon in Champaign-Urbana.  My goal is under two hours.

Any other Buckeye runners out there?

tennbuckeye19's picture

Good luck man. Just pace yourself, keep well hydrated and don't overdo it. Finishing is the most important thing. 

I remember running my first half about 7 years ago. It was the first time I'd run that far and my goal was to break 2 hours. I finished in 1:57. Running that first half was the starting point for what's become a bit of an obsession for me, but I've gotten better and faster and am in the best shape of my life now. Since then I've run 14 half marathons ( & 3 full marathons) and my PR is 1:36. 

+1 HS

That is a great time.  My phd adviser/ boss is crazy; at 53, his goal is under 1:25.

I don't know if it will ever become an "obsession" but in general it does give you a goal/ reason to get up and go to the gym/ go for a run.  I'll probably do at least one half-marathon a year from now on with 5Ks and 10Ks and obstacle course runs thrown in for good measure.  A big change from a guy who was 5'8" 250lbs just five years ago at OSU (now in the 200-210lb range)..

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

I haven't been in shape for about 3-4 years, but the half marathon is my favorite distance.  It is far enough that you don't have to run so fast that it hurts and short enough you don't have to worry so much about nutrition and hydration while running.  

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I ran my first half back in 06 at the River Run in September through the Cleveland Metroparks. Beautiful Scenery and a cool breeze in the shade. My goal was also to break the 2 hour barrier. Accomplished it around 1:53. Ran my first full marathon out here in Seattle almost 2 years ago then my left knee went out and I am on the shelf rehabbing. Man I miss the open road.

Good luck and enjoy the experience