Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

CBJ

Crumb's picture
April 9, 2014 at 11:18pm
69 Comments

Jackets make the playoffs!!!!! For only the second time in franchise history our Columbus Blue Jackets will be in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

BassDropper's picture

2nd time in my lifetime the Jackets have made the playoffs. I think we're gonna win it all this year.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Crumb's picture

Me too but I always believe my team can win it all, Buckeyes or Jackets or Reds or anyone else I always say THIS is their year!!!

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Congrats BJ's - love this time of the year. 

+2 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

I love BJ's any time of year!!

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+15 HS
BassDropper's picture

Why the sarcasm font?

DIRECTIONER

+7 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

They played awesome D tonite after scoring 3 in the first.  Funny though, I never get to see an empty net goal, especially after Dallas pulled the goalie for 8 minutes of the third. Tied with Detroit and Philly at 91 points and can still finish 6 or 7  with some luck.  2 games to go. Cant wait!

Go Jackets!

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

PRINT THE SHIRTS! 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You may want to pump the brakes just a bit

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Haha nice one. These younger cats are quick to the punch and enthusiastic,always takes a vet to get them to slow their roll.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

FROMTHE18's picture
An oldie but well deserved…HELL YES JACKETS….next goal: just win one playoff game for me, just one.

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Congrats to the Blue Jackets. NHL teams don't really make money til the playoffs, but the additional ticket sales, merchandise sales, TV exposure, etc. really boost your team.

The Red Wings made the playoffs last night too, for the 23rd straight time. Unbelievable streak

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I think you might have it backwards...The playoffs actually made the redwings tournament 23 years running.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Jason Gruber's picture

This team should be a tough out. They play strong defense, have the ability to score against anyone, Goalie Bob (need I say more?), and are brimming with confidence. This will be an interesting run, I hope. I may have my fan glasses on right now, but I can see them making a run at Lord Stanley's Cup this year. 

"You win with people." Woody Hayes

"If winning isn't everything, why do we keep score?" Vince Lombardi

"¯\_(ツ)_/¯" Joey Bosa

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Woah, woah...no.  Getting out of the first round will be a blessing.  If they pass Philly (unlikely), the Rangers are playing great.  Boston is Boston.  And the CBJ can't solve the Penguins, no matter how banged up they are.  I'm simply hoping for A win.

They still need help on the top 6.  Too many injuries right now with Foligno, Horton, Umberger all out.  Their blue line could stand to use an upgrade or two (JJ is not a top pair guy).  Plus, they're still so young.  I think they have maybe three guys over 29/30.

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Debbie Downer, why so many facts and logic?  

However:

Since March 1, Bob has been 12-7 with 36 goals allowed in the 19 games.  4 of those were OT games (2-2) and then you had the Blackhawks game that should've been OT if not for an inadvertent whistle by the ref.  They should at least be competitive with Bobrovsky between the pipes for a 7 game series.

+2 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

If the playoffs started today, they'd be tied for 6th in goals scored amongst playoff teams while being tied for 5th in goals allowed-putting them as 'exactly average' in both departments. Middle of the road special teams as well, but they are over a combined %100 in PK\PP, which is sort of an old wives tale predictor of possible success.

As for Bob, its great to have a hot goalie but Pit, Montreal, Boston, New York, and Tampa all have that same thing.

Columbus, in my mind, has no real offensive firepower to consistently threaten defensive stalwarts like Boston nor can they withstand a shoot out type game with Pit or Tampa.

Playoff experience is a knock too but you can't get it until you get it so that's not the Jackets fault.

I think a series win is possible but the lack of an effective top D pairing isn't a luxury in the playoffs, its a must. I'll make my prediction-Sergei Bobrovsky has to play dynamic hockey for the Jackets to be a threat. Stand on his head, Jean Sebastian Giguerre in 2003 good.

EDIT-And you shut your mouth when you talk about the Blackhawks. They mean to win every game exactly how they intend to win it. Last second, or whistles be damned :)

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

RedStorm45's picture

TB doesn't have Bishop so there goes that theory.  And until MAF shows he's not a mental midget I'll take my chances against the Penguins goalie.

CBJ have 7 guys with 15+ goals scored.  Not too dissimilar from Boston in their balanced approach on offense.

+1 HS

Bishop is hurt, not out from everything I've seen. Until he's ruled out, Tampa has the edge. Even if he is out, Boston, New York, and the Habs still have the edge. Sans Bishop, Columbus has the 4th best goalie in the East, at best. As for Fleury, I'd probably take Bob over the two of them but if we are playing out a potential Pit\CBJ matchup who needs to be better? MAF or Bob? Room for error is one thing, but goal tenders can be great and still lose a 3-1 game. You think Crosby gets calls in the regular season? Wait until the playoffs.

CBJ needs Bobrovsky to be historically good to do anything but get bounced out in the first. I don't know what expectation is. Truth be told, I'd assume most Jackets fans are excited (for good cause) just being there. Am I wrong in assuming any level of success in the playoffs will be enjoyed but not expected? If that's the case, it doesn't matter what it looks like then. Playoff hockey is awesome, its even better when the team you cheer for is in it.

-2 HS
William's picture

Bishop, Price and Rask have been better, but there's no way you can consider Lundqvist's play as better than Bob's. Bob has a higher sv%, in only 6 fewer games. As for scoring, Columbus has 7 guys with 15 goals and Ryan Johansen, who has more goals than anyone on the Blackhawks, solid enough for making noise in the playoffs. As for how far they'll go, that depends entirely on who they play. If they get the 3 seed and face the Rangers, they have a really good shot, as those teams split the series this year. If they face Pittsburgh, their odds are greatly diminished, but Fleury has been a joke in the playoffs the past few years, giving them a chance. If they face Boston, they stand pretty much no chance. Columbus is also a better possession team than Pittsburgh, Montreal and Philadelphia, and they're one of the better even strength scoring teams in the league, all of which are extremely important in the playoffs. So really, it all depends on the team that they draw. 

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Bishop has been said to be out a couple weeks - the Bolts coach said he could be back in the first round..."at some point."

It's a bit of a different feel than '09.  2009 it was, wow we finally made it in.  Cool.  Then promptly got swept.  Now it's, yeah we're building to something better in 2015-2016 and beyond (11 guys on the roster are 25 or younger).  But, I don't think anyone will be happy with a sweep.  At least make it competitive the first round, regardless of opponent.  If it's Boston - I just want one win.  If it's Pitt - can we pull off two W's?  And if it's NYR...all bets are off.

+1 HS
bucks_4_life's picture

Anything can happen in the playoffs, its a whole new season now.  What happened in the past is irrelevant.  Look at the L.A Kings from a few seasons ago.  Our squad reminds me a lot of them right now.  Gritty, unselfish... they have the players that aren't afraid to do the dirty work that wins games.  It's going to be a fun run I think!! 

The juice is worth the squeeze

+1 HS
William's picture

Yes the Kings were an 8 seed two seasons ago, but I think that using them as a comparison is pretty irresponsible. Los Angeles had an elite center in Anze Kopitar, an elite defender in Drew Doughty, an elite goalie in Jonathan Quick, accompanied with very good pieces like Jeff Carter (douchebag), Slava Voynov, Mike Richards, Justin Williams, Dwight King, Dustin Brown and Alec Martinez during the Cup run. They had a shutdown defense, a shutdown goalie, and were one of the best puck possession teams in the NHL. So yes, an 8 seed can win the Cup, but the 2012 LA Kings were not your average 8 seed. 

+2 HS
bucks_4_life's picture

Irresponsible? Really? We're talking about hockey! When the jackets are playing their best hockey they have a shut down d and an elite goalie. The kings had no business beating the teams they beat. They won because they were gritty, unselfish and great coaching. We have a lot of those same attributes. Don't tell me I'm irresponsible because I have an opinion. Use better words next time, you come off as a douche.

William's picture

I don't think you have a concept of how good that Kings line up was, and is to this day. Columbus doesn't have a shutdown defense, in fact, not even close. Johnson and Wisniewski are defensive farces, and Prout is too slow to defend in transition, and Nikitin has turnover issues at times, as do Johnson and Wisniewski. The only defenders I'm confident in on a nightly basis to be sound in both zones are Murray, Savard and  Tyutin, and Tyutin sadly hasn't recovered fully from his Olympics injury. But yes, Columbus does have a goalie on par with the Kings, but that is all the CBJ have on par with the Kings. Our forward core is as deep as theirs, but not as defensively responsible, and our defense is nowhere near theirs yet, but with Murray, Savard, Erixon, Goloubef, Heatherington and Reilly all being between 19 and 23, the CBJ very well could have the most dominant blue line in the NHL in 3-5 years. So yes, going "The Kings won as an 8 seed" and then using that as justification for why the CBJ can, is irresponsible. 

RedStorm45's picture

The problem will be clearing out the contracts of Wiz, Tyutin, and JJ - all of whom are locked in for at least a few more years (Tyuts and Wiz have NTCs).  Add in Murray who is on the verge of a franchise blue-liner, that only leaves you a couple open spots - I'd like to see Savard and Erixon, but who knows.

I mean...its the playoffs and anything can happen but they would need a historical, JSG type performance out of Bob for that to happen.

Crumb's picture

I have my fan glasses on too and am gonna enjoy it while it lasts, it's the Stanley Cup Playoffs, anything can happen!!!

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+2 HS

Good job Jackets.

+2 HS
bucks_4_life's picture

+1 for NPH!!

-1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Anyone else think Cleveland should have an NHL team?

Tough draw for the CBJ going against the Pens. Malkin is hurt, but may be back for game 3. Crosby, Neal, Letang are elite...if those guys are playing well --- it'll be tough to beat them.

-1 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

They should worry about getting an nfl team first , hiyo!!!!!!

i kid,  love the Browns and got to hear Pettinne speak last week, good hire there 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I am hoping they give him an honest chance to prove himself. So tired of the revolving door in Berea.

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

No, Cleveland is right in the middle of Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo.  Makes no sense.  Plus they are averaging 17K for the Cavs and 17K for the Indians (you can also throw in the fact that northeast Ohio is shedding population, not a good sign for a market to add a fourth pro sports team).  A hockey team would be lucky to draw 12K fans.  Add to that the imbalance of East/West teams and the NHL wouldn't look to add another team to the East.  The cities next for NHL teams are Seattle and Toronto or Quebec, though I think Bettman wants to fix this 16/14 split sooner rather than later.

If Fleury is in prototypical playoff form, this could be an interesting series.  If he's regular-season Fleury, it'll be Pens in 5.

Go1Bucks's picture

Only slightly disappointed in their last game, would have like to pass Philly for the 6 spot, we unfortunately don't have great luck - although play great games - against the PEns.  Still, maybe this year!

Go CBJ!

Go Bucks!

RedStorm45's picture

MAF has been the worst goalie in the league the last two postseasons.  That must continue for the CBJ to have a chance.  Otherwise, it will be tough to pull out a victory at all.

William's picture

He has an .880 sv% in the playoffs dating back to 2010. That's turrible. If the Penguins get a .915 sv% or so out of him, they'll win in 5-6. However, if he goes out there and lays an egg, like a freaking .880 sv%, Columbus takes it in 6 or 7. 

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Vokoun is back up after a rehab stint - supposedly as a 3rd goalie, but do you think just having him there puts some undue pressure on MAF?  The guy who replaced him last year is now sitting in the wings should he collapse again, haha wouldn't that be hilarious.

Unfortunately, the forwards are just a mishmash right now for the Jackets with 3 of their top 5 (or 6?) forwards out.  Foligno should be back for game 2, no word on Umberger.  And with Horton done, that's a lot of playoff experience not playing.  This is the first playoff experience for Joey, Boone, Cam, Calvert, etc.  The only thing you can say is maybe they don't know any better?  But I doubt it.

They just have to piece together what the Flyers and Isles (last year) did, don't back down and get physical, and then try to rattle Flower.

JeffCoBuck's picture

My brother was at OSU when the Blue Jackets first started playing.  I remember going to visit him and everyone was excited about the new NHL team.  I even bought a couple t-shirts.  I've casually followed the Jackets through their history, but I'm 40 minutes from Pittsburgh so my coverage is all Pens all the time.  I've followed a number of Blue Jackets-related Twitter accounts this year, though, and I'm genuinely excited for the Jackets.  I will be watching the series starting tomorrow and rooting for the Jackets!  Go CBJ!  #BattleOn

RedStorm45's picture

The team website has upped its broadcasts of Morning Skates throughout the year - if you can watch/listen at 10 a.m. that is.  The Dispatch has a weekly podcast, though Porty is kind of a douche.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I will be rooting for my Pens tonight, but I am happy to see the Jackets in the playoffs.  Hopefully we will have a good series.  I would love to see a nice rivalry develop with some fans I can respect.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

My first hockey team I love is the Pens. Growing up in the Cleveland vicinity without an Ohio team to root for in the late 80s/early 90s --- the nearby Penguins having Mario Lemieux made it easy to be a Pens fan. Just so much fun to watch.

My next team is the Jackets. I'm just pissed that they drew the Pens in the new playoff format. 

Anyhow, valiant effort by CBJ...surprisingly high-scoring affair. Glad my Pens won, but great game Jackets.

RedStorm45's picture

They would have drawn them in the old format...

Seattle Linga's picture

My Wings open up tomorrow against the BB. Tough loss tonight for the Jackets

KBonay's picture

I would have much rather taken on the Pens...who are beatable.  Boston....not so much. 
Also....Wings drop puck Friday.  Not Thursday.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

My bad - saw that today and mis-remembered what I wrote - anxious and a little trigger happy. 

Have you been to a Kings vs. Wings game yet?

KBonay's picture

Seen lots of 'em over the years.  More against Ducks, since I am closer.  Sucks with the division change, only 1 game each now.  And was same weekend this year, so I only caught the Ducks game.

Pit is beatable. Really liked CBJ's aggressiveness last night and though the results werent there, I thought they played a great third. Caught iron twice and Pit allowed Murray the prettiest look at a tying goal you'll ever get. That was such a sweet play. Johansson's patience on the pass was such a subtle thing of beauty. Two inches higher and that goes in. I'm confident Jackets fans will see the series tied up. 

RedStorm45's picture

Thing is Pittsburgh didn't play great.  So while you can point to positives, you can also say that the Pens have a higher ceiling that they haven't reached yet.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

MAF actually played better than the three goals might indicate. Really only one of them was a weak goal.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Seattle Linga's picture

Wings taking home the W from Bean Town in Game 1 tonight on a beauty goal by Pavel Datsyuk. Rask never saw it!

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Datsyuk goal was unreal from start to finish. Thing of beauty to watch.....

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I love Mike Emrick's call - best in the biz - imho

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Yes...he is amazing.  One day I will tell you the story of him calling out my bros name during a playoff game last year....

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I'll be standing by................I've got a couple good stories myself.

KBonay's picture

And did you catch this little gem by Lucic?

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Lucic has a history of sticking the twigs and berries. Not the cleanest player in the NHL. FOXSPORTS1 showed his other clips as well today. 

This one is a beauty that can bring a man to his knees.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Excellent find K - Hockey is hard enough without the dirty plays and players

KBonay's picture

It just baffles me on how/why players get suspended and/or fined. This was just ridiculous. A coach gets $25k for a half-asses gesture and a player, with the intent to injure, gets 1/5 the punishment. 

Last couple years Shanny was handing out suspensions like candy. No consistency.  And I hate the 'it's playoffs' excuse.  Hold the integrity of the game. 

Crumb's picture

The Pens flop more than an NBA player.

-1 HS

Dubinsky is the dirtiest cheap shot artist in the league.

-2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Seriously, you want to talk about flopping Dubinsky was all over that too.

But CBJ played the better OT. Credit due.

-1 HS
William's picture

This coming from the guy that roots for a team that employed Matt Cooke. Hypocrisy much? And Crosby is no angel, he's perfected the art of the post-whistle elbow, and good on him for doing it. It's the playoffs, players go after each other after the whistle all the time. 

+1 HS

Cooke isn't on the Penguins roster anymore. So for the here and now, yes, Dubinsky is definitely a cheap artist. I don't blame Crosby for retaliating...he gets bombarded with cheap shots all the time. 

-2 HS
William's picture

Cooke isn't on the Penguins roster anymore.

Yes, this is why I used 'employed', past tense and all. And again, Crosby dishes it out, just like he receives it, the same goes for Malkin and Letang. Everyone does it, it's all about not getting caught. 

Crumb's picture

Jackets win!!!! Series tied!!!!! First ever playoff victory!!!!!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Congrats Jacket's fans - the games trended very similar to Game One just reversed.