Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Blue Jackets.....tough loss

buckeye4life050233's picture
April 1, 2014 at 11:29pm
19 Comments

Last night was a tough loss in OT for the Jackets.  Some serious bad juju going on that allowed 3 goals to go in off our own defenders.  Hopefully this doesn't become a trend the last games down the stretch but when things like this happen it can demoralize a team.  Hopefully that doesn't happen to our jackets, I really want a playoff series in nationwide to see how loud and raucous that place can get. 

Why is it that we always go into 3rd periods with 1 or 2 goal leads and give them up so easily only to end up losing the game? it is becoming a trend and it doesn't create hope

BassDropper's picture

still got a point and still have the wild card and games in hand on the next closest

DIRECTIONER

Bailey458's picture

really tough schedule going forward.  If you look to the strength of schedule, like Woody Paige does, then we have our work cut out for us.  Fingers crossed.

RedStorm45's picture

Can't play with a lead. It's pathetic.

Buckeye Chuck's picture

They've lost WAY too many home games of late. These losses, and stuff like the out-of-the-blue benchings of Umberger and Atkinson in recent weeks, indicates a team that's too tight.

The other bothersome thing is that they've made it hard on themselves in two straight years with bad starts to the season. If they manage to blow this, there's going to be lots of room for second-guessing, especially after their response to the trade deadline was a salary dump when all the other contenders were bolstering themselves.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

buckguy10's picture

I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed by the trade deadline moves but it followed in line with Jarmo and Davidson's philosophy of building for the future without sacrificing the present. The Gaborik trade was not a salary dump, although that's the way it may appear from the outside. The Blue Jackets actually retained 50% of his remaining salary meaning they are paying the Kings to have him on their roster rather than the CBJ roster. The Gaborik trade was about acquiring additional assets to use for the future as we were not going to resign him for a multitude of reasons and would have been left with nothing at the end of the season. 

As we have gotten healthy, available forward spots have become limited, as you mentioned in your post about Umby and Atkinson being benched in recent weeks. If Gaborik had still been here, that would have meant an additional "benching" at the forward spot on top of the ones we are already seeing. If anything requires second guessing, I would say it's their failure to hold leads late in the third period, not the moves that were made at the trade deadline.

William's picture

They need to dump Jack Johnson in the offseason. He can't play defense, he doesn't score, he doesn't drive possession, possesses no hockey sense. Other than being able to skate, he is literally everything you don't want in a 1st pairing defensemen. Dalton Prout is just as bad, he's slower than a snail, he doesn't drive possession, and he has no hockey sense, it takes him way too long to react or think when on the ice. And this is Richards's top pairing. At least Wisniewski, for the absolute defensive farce that he is, is only getting 2nd pairing minutes. And then who in the Hell plays Jared Boll, the guy who can't even skate and stickhandle at the same time over a guy that nearly has 20 goals in RJ Umberger? I'm no fan of Umberger's, he's overpaid and has a tough time finishing, but at least he's not a disgrace to hockey like Jared Boll. This team misses Ryan Murray badly, really badly. He didn't make mistakes, he calmed Wisniewski on the power play and covered for his ass when he made mistakes, and he helped to drive possession, plus he can skate well. Which is almost the polar opposite of that joke, Jack Johnson. 

+2 HS
Colin's picture

I agreed with literally everything you just said. I probably hate Wiz more than JJ although I think they are both terrible defensemen. Wiz is a turnover machine and can NEVER HIT THE NET. God is it frustrating. JJ tries to play forward too much and he's just bad everywhere but he at least doesn't turn it over as much.

RedStorm45's picture

I liked his drop pass in OT in the neutral zone...to no one.

William's picture

Followed by Comeau's drop pass to no one. That OT was like there were 5 Derick Brassards on the ice. 

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Big-time win in Philly.

Playoff race heating up with 6 to play.  Chicago in town tonight, and they're without Towes and Kane.

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

What is a playoff race? You mean there are teams that don't know if they are making the playoffs by now? #FirstworldHockeyProblems.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

-1 HS
William's picture

Well, the CBJ sit at an 88% of making the playoffs. I wouldn't be so confident about your Blackhawks right now. Without Toews and Kane, that offense is going to be crippled. Oduya is injured as well. 

BrewstersMillions's picture

%88 isn't %100. Hawks fans like to call a playoff race "November".

I'm not the slightest bit worried about the Hawks. Both guys are expected to be back by the playoffs. These last few games of the year are pure injury avoidance games. Sharp is playing his best hockey as a Hawk, Shaw has emerged as a great two way option, Hossa in the playoffs isn't the same guy as Hossa in the regular season and Keith has returned to Norris caliber form (should win it) and Crawford hasn't missed a beat this year either. By no means is anyone a favorite to win the cup, especially with the new playoff format but the Hawks are one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the NHL and that's all you can ask for. Colorado has had the Hawks number this year, so on paper that matchup worries me. I'm still convinced that Semyon Varlamov (when he isn't kicking his girlfriend down the stairs) is a soft, breakable tender and come playoff time, a lot of the youth that is driving Colorado's resurgence is going to get seriously challenged by the waves of battle hardened vets the Hawks can march out. I'll be interested to see how they respond to playoff hockey against the champ.

If Toews and Kane can't return to form, then of course they are in trouble. No one can afford to lose their two best players and be considered a threat. Word around town is that they'll be just fine.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Hawks thing, for what its worth. I just like razzing Jackets fans. Columbus' arrow keeps pointing up each season. I'd venture a guess they pull out a playoff series win. Bobrovsky has kept the train rolling. Still not going to scare anyone offensively and no real top D pairing sort of creates a glass ceiling for the Jacks. With that said, a hot tender can carry you to a level of success the Jackets have not seen before.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

William's picture

I wouldn't worry about the Avs in the playoffs. Their possession numbers are some of the worst in the league (4th worst), and they don't have any elite defenders, at all. They're just like the Capitals, built for the regular season, when penalties are more commonly called, and teams play a less conservative game. Come playoffs, when there's even more 5v5 play, and teams run possession-heavy systems, the Avs are going to suffer. 

-1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Guess the Avs will home ice in round 1.

KBonay's picture

Say what you will about the Red Wings, but if they do make the playoffs with, what amounts to a Triple A lineup, it will be quite an accomplishment. 
Even better with CBJ in as well.  Nice showing from two 'western conference' guys making a mark in the east their first year.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

With you brother - lots of hurdles this year. We just have to get in, anything can happen

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Would be lovely if Hank could make it back in time for playoffs. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed and we need to keep building on the 4 game winning streak. Today's game against Mont. will be tough - they're a good solid team.