Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Browns Going After D. Jackson

703Buckeye's picture
April 1, 2014 at 5:50pm
14 Comments

According to a Plain Dealer report, the Browns are going after DeSean Jackson. Today, Jackson is in Ashburn, VA visiting with the Redskins... It's been said if Jackson gets on a plane to San Francisco tonight that he will not sign with the 'Skins.

I don't know where the Browns fit into this. They have the cap space to go after Jackson but they may have to significantly overpay to catch his attention. Right now I think Jackson wants the chance to be a part of a proven winner or a team right on the cusp. Not to mention, I don't think the Browns are an organization (rookie HC, rookie GM, relatively young roster) equipped to deal with a high-maintenance player, like Jackson.

Not that I know anything, but I think Jackson goes somewhere other than Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/04/cleveland_browns_reportedly_go.html#incart_special-report

johnblairgobucks's picture

3 head coaches and 3 different starting QBs in the span of the last 17 regular season games....... Unless the Browns over pay him, I think he'll go elsewhere.

I hope Cleveland doesn't replay the 2 decade old debacle of Andre Rison.  

Btw, if Cleveland drafts Bortles in the first round, I'm close enough to the edge of losing fandom, that I may jump.

-1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I'm not a fan of Jackson and his baggage (look at my last thread in this section) but I will take him in Cleveland so long as the Browns do not significantly overpay and have a plan to manage him (keep him out of trouble).

None of the QB's this year impress me enough to justify using the first 1st rounder on one. Bortles did not play against the best competition (people, please don't say Baylor); Manziel is a great talent but I think he'll get beat up, like Vick; Carr played against weaker competition than Bortles and fell flat on his face against Southern Cal; Bridgewater is the only one of these 4 I kind of like but still not with the 4th overall pick.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Thats a shame as Bortles would be a good fit.  Don't jump too far. Besides, Hoyer should be the starter unless we get a proven veteran QB.  

Go Bucks!

johnblairgobucks's picture

All for seeing what Hoyer has to give in 2014.  But as 703 stated, I'm not sure spending a 4 overall on any of the QB's is the thing to do.  Bridgewater is pretty darn accurate, without the strongest of arm, and Manziel gives accuracy, mobility, strong arm and also an "it" factor, that Cleveland has lacked in it's franchise, since Peyton Hillis.  Manziel's size/durability is a question in the NFL, but not any bigger of a question than Carr or Bortles competition questions.  Seen enough strong arm rigid passers Couch, Anderson, Quinn ( though he had a weak arm, IMO) Weeden and Frye..... the Browns need some mobility behind center.

Iwearmocs's picture

Give me manziel over bortles any day.

tussey's picture

I humbly disagree with you.  I don't see Manziel's game translating well into the pros.  In that he has played in basically a one read system in college.  Bortles on the other hand has played in a pro-style system so his learning curve will be much smaller.  

Seattle Linga's picture

No overpaying please but I like this guys talent. 

southbymidwest's picture

Ugh. My Redskins signed him. We shall see. You may have dodged a bullet, Cleveland.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

They dodged the bullet of signing a Pro bowl caliber WR to go along with Gordon. Cleveland being Cleveland.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

703Buckeye's picture

It's not Cleveland being Cleveland this time. The Redskins were the first team to get a visit and never let Jackson get out of DC to visit any other team, including Oakland, San Francisco, and Cleveland. I would consider the chance to play Philly 2x a year as another factor the Browns couldn't match... Jackson wants some revenge.

703Buckeye's picture

My only concern with the Redskins signing him is the same one I had with the Browns signing him... Young team with no (apparent) strong leadership and a rookie head coach who may not know how to manage a player as difficult as Jackson. In my opinion, Jackson will behave in DC; he knows all eyes will be on him after his Philly release.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Share the same concern - if Jackson has any sense I'm hoping he makes the most of this. Eagles drop him, KC and Andy Reid took a pass.

Plenty of upside if he plays well, and RGIII returns to form - and can distribute the ball.

At least the Redskins didn't go all Haynesworth with his contract.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

DC got a great deal on Jackson... I think they benefited from him wanting to play Philly twice a year.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Going to make for an interesting few games in the next couple of years. 

Sunday night and Monday night football will be all over these games.