Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

DeSean Jackson Released By Eagles

703Buckeye's picture
March 28, 2014 at 1:06pm
45 Comments

Philly has decided to release DeSean Jackson from his contract. Jackson is coming off the best season of his career but his off the field issues have led the Eagles to cut him. Apparently, Jackson's situation was so bad that the Eagles would not consider trading him, not wanting to pass the burden of Jackson onto another team.

Here's a link from NJ.com about Jackson's issues... http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html

703Buckeye's picture

For the record, as a Browns fan, I don't want Jackson anywhere near Cleveland unless he's with the visiting team. Though I'd imagine it's going to be hard for Jackson to find any NFL team to play with.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

TheBadOwl's picture

Yeah, I hear he hangs around some bad apples. Apparently he's been frequently seen in a huddle with a guy who did time for dogfighting.

I'm not saying that Jackson makes good decisions by any means, the rumors are pretty damning, but at least he hasn't, you know, knocked his fiancee out cold and dragged her out of the elevator. But don't tell that to ESPN.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

In the meantime--Fans around the World are hoping Jackson can be signed by there favorite team.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

703Buckeye's picture

I've talked with friends who are fans of the Lions (don't need WR), Redskins (need WR), and Raiders (need WR)... None of them want Jackson.

route4buckeye's picture

He will be a great pick up for any team.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Seriously? If the Eagles were willing to straight up cut the guy after his best pro season, how could he be a great pickup for a team?

brandonbauer87's picture

Results on the field often outweigh issues off the field. I don't think he'll have any trouble finding work. 

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

By that way of thinking, Jackson should still be an Eagle.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Seriously? If the Eagles were willing to straight up cut the guy after his best pro season, how could he be a great pickup for a team?

Umm, yes. By your logic Darrelle Revis wasn't a great pickup because Tampa Bay released him.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

703Buckeye's picture

Tampa cut Revis for money reasons... Jackson was cut for character issues.

+2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Character issues, shmaracter issues.

He can play. Randy Moss had "character issues" at Oakland and look what he did with New England.

-1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Character issues, shmaracter issues.

There is a difference between character issues and ties to criminal organizations.  I commend the Eagles for this decision.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS

Jackson was cut for character issues.

Where'd you get that from?

Still doesn't change that he's a really good player.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Read the article I linked.

-1 HS

The article wasn't anything worth getting released over.

If character issues were such a big deal to Philly, they wouldn't have kept Riley Cooper.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

As far as I am aware, Riley Cooper had a single incident however terrible that incident was.  And, he has undertaken steps to correct his thinking and actions in the future.  My limited understanding of this situation is that Jackson has had repeated issues within the organization and has not taken corrective action.

I think that is the difference why the Eagles kept one and let the other go.  It certainly wasn't a decision based on talent levels.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS

Cooper did the typical "I'm sorry because I got caught".

-1 HS
OSUStu's picture

His motivation is unclear. Regardless, he took corrective action. Jackson has not as far as I am aware.

gm3jones's picture

While I agree that somone with criminal ties should not be in his position (a role model to most), I am with BVW. Dude can flat out play. Plus, you really never know who people are in their personal lives, so I am sure he is not the only star with a lot of skeletons in his closedt. Sure he might only have a few things he is "elite" at, but the numbers speak for themselves. He is a vertical threat that simply makes plays. Hard to say who or what team will sign him, but he will find a landing spot somewhere, that is for sure.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

I know if the Bengals could turn around Pac Man Jones then anything is possible. NFL is a lot different then college in a lot of ways and I know a lot of people would say I dont want him around my team when actually all they want is for their team to succeed. Thought I read an article just a couple days ago that had Mike Vick from the Jets campaigning for Jackson to join the Jets. What if the Broncos or Seahawks add Desean? A team with strong veteran leadership full of grown ass men can put a guy in their place faster then most realize.

I know if the Bengals could turn around Pac Man Jones then anything is possible.

Did I miss the part where Jackson was arrested 40 times?

-2 HS

I think that was the point to the people acting like this guy is blackballed from the NFL. If the worst of the worst can turn it around then surely a guy charged with nothing can right?

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I would imagine Tom Brady wouldn't mind throwing to Jackson. That organization is no non-sense so it may be a good fit.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

You mean the team that just had to deal with the Aaron Hernandez situation?  I think they should be steering clear of those affiliated or perceived to be affiliated with gangs for a while.

+9 HS
gm3jones's picture

Great point.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

mh277907's picture

Aaron Hernandez is a once in a lifetime ordeal. That is far and away not the norm and, in my opinion, did not happen because of the culture of the New England Patriots. Unfortunately, every single roster in the NFL, and most college rosters including our beloved Buckeyes, have guys with questionable pasts. The Pats have a proven track record of bringing guys like that in and keeping them out of trouble - with one very big outlier.

buckeyebobcat

OSUStu's picture

Aaron Hernandez is a once in a lifetime ordeal. 

Similar situations with present and past NFL players have happened multiple times in my lifetime.  And, even if they hadn't, there is still good reason to avoid guys that appear to be linked to criminal activity if only by association.  Let me make clear that I am not trying to make an equivalency between the Hernandez and Jackson situations.

I was in no way blaming the Patriots organization for anything that Hernandez did.  However, they did experience a significant public relations backlash because of him.  IMO, it would behoove them to avoid signing guys that are perceived to have ties to gang members.  And I bet they think that as well.

osu07asu10's picture

Belicheck loves going against the grain and loves a good redemption story...but I think you're right

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

OSU069's picture

It's just crazy for anyone to say he will have trouble finding a team. He is one of the best receivers in the league. Even though he has some bad friends, he has never been arrested yet. The Bengals need to sign him. They have had success in recent years with players with character issues. If they can get Pac Man Jones on the right track, they will definitely be able to help Jackson.

Pinji's picture

While I agree he's a very talented receiver (read: fast), I disagree with the notion that the Bengals have to sign him. The Bengals already have an excellent receiving corp, plus Bernard who presents another quality pass catching option. Why bring in a guy who will demand some serious cash?

OSU069's picture

Fine I will edit my comment. The Bengals should bring him in for a visit and see exactly what kind I problems he is having. They should also see what kind of contract he is looking for and then go from there. Him and AJ Green would be the best duo in the league at WR.

Colts would be a superb fit considering their owner was just arrested with 30 grand cash and enough drugs to fill up a pharmacy.Luck needs a game changer at WR.

+3 HS
dcbucks's picture

All these things happening around Desean really don't support the SFGate article about how Cal players are "winning in life."

+2 HS
bodast67's picture

I smell a one year deal with the Patriots.....

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

Citrus's picture

Just read the NJ post. Jackson's alleged gang affiliation is shaky at best. The gang sign he is apparently flashing in the photo is common photo gesture. Currently on may facebook feed, there are three photos of three people doing the same gesture. Among them: my 11 year old niece, my Argentinan yoga-loving latin-pop star friend, and one of my old army buddies. None of them are gang members.

He owns a record label and two of the rappers on the label have run into legal trouble. WOW! Duh! That hardly makes him a gang member.

Perhaps he is a gang member but none of the evidence in the article is convincing. We shouldn't jump to conclusions.

+3 HS
Nutinpa's picture

Lots of comments on sports talk radio here in Philly.

While a lot more is expected or anticipated to be written about this....the "evidence" for the Eagles to disown Jackson is said to be shaky at best. 

I don't understand this.  At least for now.  Lots of talk about the Eagles having planted the story in NJ.com.

mtrotb's picture

Brownies!!

mtrotb

TheBadOwl's picture

He'd be a monster on the Bengals, too. AJ Green on one side and Jackson on the other.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Having both of them would make it almost impossible for Dalton to play terribly in important games. It might be what we need to advance in the postseason with Dalton. I really think the Bengals should try signing Jackson.

With Carson Palmer jr as the QB.

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The Red Rocket needs a lube job!

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

KC Chiefs, you heard it here

-1 HS
dancinhomer321's picture

Could see the rams or jets picking him up.

Buckeye 4 Life!

OSUStu's picture

I don't know what Carolina's cap situation is but they let their entire WR corps go in the off season. Seems like a good fit.

bleedscarlet's picture

Just because he has gang affiliations doesn't mean he's a thug, there are a lot of kids out there that don't have a choice ( at least not a safe choice ). As long as he doesn't involve himself in gang related activities, there's no need to condemn him. The guy has made it this far without falling into that life style, considering where he came from that's an impressive accomplishment. Someone's going to give him a home and they'll get plenty of production for their trouble.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

-1 HS