Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

NFL Approves 3 New Rules

Mizzillion's picture
March 26, 2014 at 2:34pm
8 Comments

According to this article....

Among the changes approved Wednesday:

— Raising of goal post uprights from 30 to 35 feet.

— The so-called "NaVorro Bowman Rule" (named for the San Francisco 49ers linebacker) which makes plays in which a loose ball is recovered subject to replay review. The alteration stems from Bowman's recovery of an apparent fumble by Seattle Seahawks receiver Jermaine Kearse that was instead blown dead by an official's whistle in January's NFC Championship Game with no review under previous rule.

— The game clock will no longer be stopped after a quarterback sack during the final two minutes of either half.

— A proposal by the New England Patriots to move the extra point attempt from the 2 to the 25-yard line was tabled. But the competition committee's recommendation to have a two-game preseason experiment with extra points snapped from the 20 is now in effect, adding some excitement to a virtually automatic play.

Extra points kicked from the 20 yard line?  I kinda hope they make that permanent.  Very interesting.

Eastside Buckeye's picture

As a former High School kicker, I feel for these pro kickers somewhat..... But they are also making millions so I don't feel too bad

"Life is a course and imma shoot for par." - Dewayne Carter

NW Buckeye's picture

I like the emphasis on taunting/sportsmanship.  The NFL has been behind the anti-bullying campaign and rightly so.  It's about time they made it a point of emphasis in rule enforcement on the field as well.  

AndyVance's picture

The PAT moving to the 20 would effectively kill the 2-point conversion, would it not?

Mizzillion's picture

I think it would kill fake extra points.  They would probably have to declare that they're going for two and the ball would be moved up to the two yard line.

....or maybe they leave it on the 20 and call it a "3-point conversion"  LOL

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

If they're going to change anything on the extra points, they should just put the ball at the 1 yard line.

The team who just scored the TD has the option to kick the gimme extra point for 1, or go for 2 from just a yard out. The extra points would automatically be more fun to watch, and you'd see more teams go for two in close, late-game situations.

-1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The Navarro Bowman rule is good.  Teams shouldn't be screwed out of a turnover because the ref blew his whistle too quickly.  Higher field goal uprights - meh, whatever, don't really care.  The clock stopped after a QB sack?  I didn't know that was even a rule.  Why would that be a rule?  Good change.

Extra points from the 20 sounds like a dumb idea to me.  Nothing wrong with the current PAT system.

Class of 2010.

Deadly Nuts's picture

If the PAT is moved to the 25 will 2pt attempts be moved back as well?

LEBRON

Seattle Linga's picture

So glad that some rules where not changed - some coaches and their proposals have hidden agendas.