Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

No Fun League

Mizzillion's picture
March 25, 2014 at 1:37pm
10 Comments

Jeez, NFL. Come on.  Enough is enough.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

#playersafety

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Clearly the NFL is trying to further distinguish themselves from the NBA by outlawing dunking...

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

NFL trying to avoid alienating shorter players. Rumor has it Darren Sproles is behind this. 

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Dean Blandino.

No dunking, huh? That's just bland, Dean-o.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I don't understand why they keep trying to change the best sport in the world.

Just leave it alone, guys. Too much legislating = less fun.

-1 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I'm surprise they don't call incomplete pass..... "Didn't maintain control of the ball all the way through the catch"

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

But, it's fine to strut around, beating your chest and screaming after making a routine tackle.  Makes sense to me.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
kmp10's picture

Call it the "no fun league" if you want, and I won't disagree in totality… but the players going too far has forced the league's hand. I watched a replay of Super Bowl XIII, Cowboys / Steelers from Jan 1979, and the players simply played the game back then. There was little showboating, hotdogging or mouth running. Was there "trash talk" on the field? Sure, but it was wasn't the spectacle it is today. When Dorsett or Harris made a great run there was no spiking the ball, beating their chest and pointing at the opposition's sideline. They got up and walked back to the huddle. When Staubach made a great play (and he made plenty) he didn't get up and mimic opening his imaginary jacket to show the "S" on his chest. When Bradshaw completed a long ball he didn't do his "most muscular" pose and kiss his biceps. I'm probably just an old(er), grumpy dude (I'll be 50 in a month), but I miss the 1970's NFL. I miss guys playing with one franchise their entire career. I miss guys being more respectful of the game and of each other. I miss players who were well paid specific to the average amount of money people made back then, but who still had to consider working in their future career path during the off season. Again, the stars (i.e. Bradshaw, Staubach, Swann or Dorsett) made a few hundred thousand a year (I believe Bradshaw was the highest paid player in the NFL in '81 @ 300K (ish)), but they weren't making stupid money like players are now.

Unlike some on this site, I love the NFL as much as I love college football… but money has changed both levels of the game for the worst IMO. When Archie won his second heisman in 1975, I vividly remember my dad taking me to port columbus so that we could greet him after his plane landed. There were a few hundred people there that night, and it was a special memory I'll never forget. It just seemed so much more special back then than it does now. There was no ESPN, no heisman trophy show, no sitting through Herbstreit interviews with parents and/or high school coaches, no pomp and circumstance for hours before the dinner… just a crawler across the bottom of the TV announcing that Archie had won his second trophy and what time his plane was due in. It was far, far simpler… but far more special too. It's become "too much" at this point, and the pageantry is now overshadowing the game itself. The NFL, I think, is trying to reign in some of this craziness and bring the spotlight back to the game and the concept of team. Just an opinion...

+3 HS
William's picture

Why do you care what football players make? They work for private businesses, congrats to them for making as much as they can. And again, why do you care how some player celebrates? We're literally watching grown men play a child's sport, I don't think chest-beating and ball-dunking is going to make it any more ridiculous, plus the whole purpose of professional sports is entertainment, and if players celebrating entertains the fans, which it does, then live and let live. 

OT: Watching Bill Polian explain how dunking a football over the goalposts could lead to players fracturing their wrists made me laugh. Apparently Polian thinks that NFLers have forearms of porcelain. Someone needs to get that guy off of ESPN, change his Depends, give him a glass of Ensure, and put him to bed. 

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Millionaires apparently are not allowed to have fun. 

+1 HS